2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Do you guys think Coronato is ready next season?  Or needs some AHL seasoning?

Based on just one game, he looked a bit raw to me.  His play away from the puck needs work... yet, he's not far from a Dube or Mangiapane to be honest.  He's par with Pelletier... at his age, that's a compliment because that means he'll be way better than all these guys by the time he's 22/23.  Maybe one full year in the AHL would do good for Coronato's development unless the Flames can find a way to move bodies and find him a top 6 RW role.  I don't see him playing above Toffoli on the depth chart.  After that, there's Dube, Mangiapane, Huberdeau, Coleman, and Duehr on RW.

It really depends on what we have in the roster by training camp time.

This wasn't a great game to get a read on him, since it was at best unstructured.

All you need to do it look at the way lines were set up last night.

There was no thought to it, just players plugged in.

We have too many LW that play best on LW.

Only 2 main guys that play best on RW; Toffoli and Duehr.

Dube on top line doesn't work for me, not when you have Huberdeau.

Our 3C should be Ruzicka and we should move Backlund to save cap.

Not a change because Backlund sucks, just that we are spending too much for the spot.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli should be obvious.

Kadri with Mangiapane and maybe Duehr.

Pelletier-Ruzie-Coronato should be the third line but shelter them.

4th line should be fast and responsible.

That's major surgery, but may be possible.

May have to use Ruzie line in that case.

That leaves you Dube and Coleman with the Backlund replacement.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It really depends on what we have in the roster by training camp time.

This wasn't a great game to get a read on him, since it was at best unstructured.

All you need to do it look at the way lines were set up last night.

There was no thought to it, just players plugged in.

We have too many LW that play best on LW.

Only 2 main guys that play best on RW; Toffoli and Duehr.

Dube on top line doesn't work for me, not when you have Huberdeau.

Our 3C should be Ruzicka and we should move Backlund to save cap.

Not a change because Backlund sucks, just that we are spending too much for the spot.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli should be obvious.

Kadri with Mangiapane and maybe Duehr.

Pelletier-Ruzie-Coronato should be the third line but shelter them.

4th line should be fast and responsible.

That's major surgery, but may be possible.

May have to use Ruzie line in that case.

That leaves you Dube and Coleman with the Backlund replacement.

Ya we have too many LHS LW... There isn't room for Pelletier to play full time next season if Sutter wants to bring back size to the bottom 6.  I feel one of Dube or Mangiapane needs to be moved.  If Coronato is ready, then also move Coleman.  In fact, why not move all of Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman and replace them with Pelletier - Ruzicka - Coronato.  I liked the chemistry between Pelletier - Coronato.  The cap savings would be enormous and we could spend it to target a superstar UFA.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya we have too many LHS LW... There isn't room for Pelletier to play full time next season if Sutter wants to bring back size to the bottom 6.  I feel one of Dube or Mangiapane needs to be moved.  If Coronato is ready, then also move Coleman.  In fact, why not move all of Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman and replace them with Pelletier - Ruzicka - Coronato.  I liked the chemistry between Pelletier - Coronato.  The cap savings would be enormous and we could spend it to target a superstar UFA.

If I hdn't already said that, then I am saying.

Peletier-Ruzie-Coronato

3rd or 4th line.

Shelter them.

10 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I was and still am a fan of Ruzicka.

In the Top 6, I feel that he could play at either wing.

In the Bottom 6, he's probably best used at centre.

But, he needs to play and I don't know what Sutter's issue is with him.

i think I heard some former players talk

About growing together as a team and how when that happens teammates start to hold each other accountable. It was a a Fan hit the other day I think. Could've been one of those off-shows they don't do about Calgary, or someone on a podcast. Sorry for listening to a lot of different shows lately. 

I just think there is something to be said for young players growing together and we haven't really seen that in Calgary for a really long time, at least not total depth. 

warrener, a few weeks ago, said that guys who are signed as UFA tend to not care and that they're there for the cheque. It was how he described his last contract, he didn't know the guys in Buffalo and made it easy to not care as much, at least to start. Maybe next year we see a different Kadri and Hube. Weegar seems different. 

but to get back to Ruzicka, I agree, I think eventually the players need to hold each other accountable and if we can keep lines together then that will stsrt

to happen. 

I think he has a lot there. And if you're worried about his D, put him with Lindholm or Backlund. 

53 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I was and still am a fan of Ruzicka.

In the Top 6, I feel that he could play at either wing.

In the Bottom 6, he's probably best used at centre.

But, he needs to play and I don't know what Sutter's issue is with him.

Ruzicka is in a bad spot as he is a center so who does he replace in the top 9 Lindholm Baxks or Kadri? He isnt a 4th line guy unless you redesign the line and role. I for one would be fine with a Coleman Ruzica Duehr 4th line. Out side of that I don;t think he replaces any one above him

11 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Ruzicka is in a bad spot as he is a center so who does he replace in the top 9 Lindholm Baxks or Kadri? He isnt a 4th line guy unless you redesign the line and role. I for one would be fine with a Coleman Ruzica Duehr 4th line. Out side of that I don;t think he replaces any one above him

Ruzicka is fine on the LW.  Produced decently well and he doesn't need to focus as much on the defensive side of his game where consistency has been questioned.  Problem once again is, we have too many LHS LW.  

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i think I heard some former players talk

About growing together as a team and how when that happens teammates start to hold each other accountable. It was a a Fan hit the other day I think. Could've been one of those off-shows they don't do about Calgary, or someone on a podcast. Sorry for listening to a lot of different shows lately. 

I just think there is something to be said for young players growing together and we haven't really seen that in Calgary for a really long time, at least not total depth. 

warrener, a few weeks ago, said that guys who are signed as UFA tend to not care and that they're there for the cheque. It was how he described his last contract, he didn't know the guys in Buffalo and made it easy to not care as much, at least to start. Maybe next year we see a different Kadri and Hube. Weegar seems different. 

but to get back to Ruzicka, I agree, I think eventually the players need to hold each other accountable and if we can keep lines together then that will stsrt

to happen. 

I think he has a lot there. And if you're worried about his D, put him with Lindholm or Backlund. 

I don't think there wre really any issues, just a couple of mistakes or perhaps didn't give as much effort as Lucic (LOL).  He a natural C so the adjustment of going to LW and back to C may have caused him some issue with coverage.  Especially when you play with Lewis, who I don't know what his role was when they had Ruzie in the same game.  

My opinion was that Sutter pegged him as lazy.  Probably from one play.  Yeah, I know his play tailed off, but he was routinely given the least minutes.  6-8 some nights.  Same treatment the jerk gave Phillips.  

I think the free agent comment isn't fair.  You do need to get along, but other players can't just be fools about it because he got paid.  There may be a small rift in the room due to some guys not appreciating the no offense gameplan.  They made their bones on being involved in scoring not shutting it down after 2.  If the coach was worth his salt, he would fix the problems with the players.  The player may have a valid point, so shutting him down with "this is how we play" won't be appreciated by many. 

Back to Ruzie.  Play him where he belongs and build the line with similar age players.

55 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka is fine on the LW.  Produced decently well and he doesn't need to focus as much on the defensive side of his game where consistency has been questioned.  Problem once again is, we have too many LHS LW.  

I hate to suggest trading Dube, but he's the one guy that has never reached 20 goals.

Maybe it makes way more sense to trade Mangiapane, but one has a better chance of reaching 30.

I feel like they are too similar to keep both.

Other guys I want to consider trades with; Coleman and Backlund.

Coleman because he's a player you get when you are headed for the playoffs.

Backlund because he is either a re-sign short term or trade type.

His best production seems to come after Christmas.

I'd be cashing in on Zadorov's career year this summer.

Doubled his career high in goals. Not something that I see continuing.

I think the Flames could get a couple picks for him. Maybe a 2nd and 4th? Would be nice asset management, they got him for a 3rd.

I'd move Zadorov over Hanifin right now. Zadorov is a good #5 D, but over his ski's in a top 4 role.

I would also be moving Vladar. Not the best year from Vladar, but he still has upside. Like Zadorov, they only paid a 3rd to get him, I think they'd get more than that.

Gives Wolf a path to the NHL. If they don't want to "gift" Wolf a spot, sign a Keith Kinkaid to compete with him for the job. Someone that you can bury in the minors when Wolf wins the job.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hate to suggest trading Dube, but he's the one guy that has never reached 20 goals.

Maybe it makes way more sense to trade Mangiapane, but one has a better chance of reaching 30.

Generally it's sell high, buy low is the goal, so .....

well trades are hard now.  

But the only good trades are going to be the ones you don't want to do.   The Toffolis.   The Lindholms.

Like always, just like when we should have traded Gaudreau and nobody wanted to, or Tkachuk.... good trades are not always popular.

So many of the littler guys underperformed this year I just don't know if you'll get a return.  I mean if you do great, but....

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'd be cashing in on Zadorov's career year this summer.

Doubled his career high in goals. Not something that I see continuing.

I think the Flames could get a couple picks for him. Maybe a 2nd and 4th? Would be nice asset management, they got him for a 3rd.

I'd move Zadorov over Hanifin right now. Zadorov is a good #5 D, but over his ski's in a top 4 role.

I would also be moving Vladar. Not the best year from Vladar, but he still has upside. Like Zadorov, they only paid a 3rd to get him, I think they'd get more than that.

Gives Wolf a path to the NHL. If they don't want to "gift" Wolf a spot, sign a Keith Kinkaid to compete with him for the job. Someone that you can bury in the minors when Wolf wins the job.

agreed with all of this.   except I also have no issues trading Hanifin

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

agreed with all of this.   except I also have no issues trading Hanifin

I would trade Hanifin too. I think the Flames could likely get a 1st for him.

Will they actually move him? I doubt it. He's a solid top 4 D, not easy to replace that. Unless it becomes absolutely clear that he won't sign an extension.

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would trade Hanifin too. I think the Flames could likely get a 1st for him.

Will they actually move him? I doubt it. He's a solid top 4 D, not easy to replace that. Unless it becomes absolutely clear that he won't sign an extension.

I think you have to manage your risk a bit.

Have to know if Kylington is coming back.

But, I would trade Hanifin for a young C or RW.

Trade Backlund for a younger player or pick/prospect.

Keep Zaddy, since he's the only toughness we have.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you have to manage your risk a bit.

Have to know if Kylington is coming back.

But, I would trade Hanifin for a young C or RW.

Trade Backlund for a younger player or pick/prospect.

Keep Zaddy, since he's the only toughness we have.

A valid point on the toughness.

All depends on who is offering what as well.

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For once it's a nice problem to have.  We actually have young kids coming up the system capable of pushing the vets out of a job and helping give us cap relief.

Wolf, Pelletier, Duehr, and I would also include Ruzicka (but my feeling is he's going to get traded if Sutter is back next season).  The bright spot of this off season is we can trim some cap and make room for these 3 kids to play full time.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For once it's a nice problem to have.  We actually have young kids coming up the system capable of pushing the vets out of a job and helping give us cap relief.

Wolf, Pelletier, Duehr, and I would also include Ruzicka (but my feeling is he's going to get traded if Sutter is back next season).  The bright spot of this off season is we can trim some cap and make room for these 3 kids to play full time.

As much as I am not on Team Rebuild, I like the idea of a coach change and a revamp of players.

No more Lucic, Lewis, Ricthie is a huge change.

If we were to trade Coleman and Mangiapane or Dube, it resets the offense.

Include Backlind in that change and it's like a complete re-tool.

It has to be smart.

I'm not sure the pro scout has any sense.

No more Coleman types or Ritchie's or Rooney or Carpenter.

But for any of this to work, it has to be a new coaching staff.

Would be somewhat okay with Huska staying but that's it.

Pringle too.

Labarbara?  No idea.  

I'm a gonna ask a loaded question.

Since Captain Canada is not re-signing in CHI-town, would you sign him to a one year deal?  

Obviously, not at anything close to what he made this year.

But as a leader, and assuming we trade Backlund, do you think there's any fit?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Since Captain Canada is not re-signing in CHI-town, would you sign him to a one year deal?  

At 35? IDK the issue with Backlund is he’s getting older, I’m not sure moving out Backlund for an even older player is a good idea…it’s been clear all year this team is just getting too old.  The only solid hockey we have seen was the last game with a huge injection of youth.

I’m more on board with a full re-build if anything 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm a no.

I think the "leadership, lockerroom" cheerleader stuff has become a thing of the past.

We can't hold onto those values from past eras. Lucic is a prime example.

If you are a young NHL player, the team provides everything from psychologist to dietician. You've been through the stresses at every level and now you're here. What can a vet that drags the pace of play down offer at this point, good stories? Hire them to tell good stories then.

How to prepare can come from 27yo as easily as 35yo.

To maybe highlight one thing about Toews, he would know the tendencies of every C in the league, but so would Lindholm. Kadri should, but you wouldn't know it.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think Toews is physically done and I don’t think he can give you much over an 82 game season. I wouldn’t sign him for league min. 

I hope he retires and enjoys what life he can. 

I get that impression then that he is hanging it up?  I haven't watched him play this year, so wasn't sure he still had it..  

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm a no.

I think the "leadership, lockerroom" cheerleader stuff has become a thing of the past.

If you are a young NHL player, the team provides everything from psychologist to dietician. You've been through the stresses at every level and now you're here. What can a vet that drags the pace of play down offer at this point, good stories? Hire them to tell good stories then.

To maybe highlight one thing about Toews, he would know the tendencies of every C in the league, but so would Lindholm. Kadri should, but you wouldn't know it.

I think it can be good, but that usually comes from guys who've been on a team for awhile. Giordano was one of those guys. It took Lucic maybe a season before he became a leader, but was near retiring when he first got to Calgary. But it took a bit of growing with the group to get there. 

I think there is a lot to be said in growing a culture in the room, and with each other. And there comes the rah rah guys, and maybe it's what you're saying. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm a no.

It's too bad that we have the coach that believes you don't know squat about playing in the playoffs if you haven't won a cup.  They won cups because of who they were, where they played and what their role was. The strategy to win changes every team you face and every year you get in.