2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I have always felt Backlund was a 2nd line C. I think if given good line mates he could have maintained a 50+ point average. 

The reason I think he was

pissed last year was because he was placed third in the depth charts for most of the year behind Lindholm and Monahan, until Monahan was demoted. It took a while I think and then finally he was given Mangiapane back and they looked like a really good third line and a good 2nd line. 

Coleman isn't really a 2nd liner, so I think that is why they become a 3rd liner.

a lot here think Backlund is just ok. Every player misses, as there is a reason they only score 45-55 points. It's hard too. I think Backlund's numbers could have been better throughout the years but he props up a lot of young players and plugs, and so we think he's a 3C. 

With Gaudreau out, imho Backlund is our most talented player.  We don't think of him that way anymore, but we once did.

In terms of raw pure talent that is, which likely contributes to him still being effective at his age.

Was never happy with how he was developed, never seen so much promise in a kid.    We trained him to be something else.   Either way, he's a tremendous asset.   I'd still trade him for a first but not less than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

With Gaudreau out, imho Backlund is our most talented player.  We don't think of him that way anymore, but we once did.

In terms of raw pure talent that is, which likely contributes to him still being effective at his age.

Was never happy with how he was developed, never seen so much promise in a kid.    We trained him to be something else.   Either way, he's a tremendous asset.   I'd still trade him for a first but not less than that.

I agree! I feel the same. We should have kept Tkachuk with him... I think it's why he was pissed. He finally has a good player and they move him up the lineup. 

keep Mangiapane with him. Maybe Dube is the other that fits him? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

The “Flames” way to approach this off-season will be to let Treliving walk and call it a mutual decision. Promote Conroy to the GM chair, keep Sutter and run it back with some small work around the edges. Conroy will be cheap (comparatively) likely to get along with Sutter and won’t likely push back on their plans. 
that’s my expectation for what will transpire. Anything outside of that would make the various insiders who are saying buckle up, be correct. 

a Kadri trade would be my prediction for an out of left field move. 

What would make sense from an owner perspective is to actually listen to the fanbase.  Nobody is saying great job coach.  You want to make changes, give the GM one year extension.  Part ways with the coach and let him make decisions as to the direction.  He has to make tough decisions this summer.  If he can't do that, don't extend him and bring in a POHO to decide what to do.  The direction we are currently headed in is all wrong.  

You can't continue the in one out one performances.  If the goalie is toast, o something about it.  If the results are related to goalie or head coach decisions, then get rid of the coach(s).

I wonder if BT would be eyeing other potential GM jobs out there.  Are there any openings that would interest him?  BT has done a decent job and I think would be given another chance in another organization pretty quickly if he were ever let go here.  

Maybe Philly?  Daniel Briere on the hot seat?...and his son's incident to add.

Pittsburgh if they miss the playoffs?  Hextall is a horrible GM.

StLouis?

I don't see Treliving coming back.

I could get behind the idea of giving him another year. But I don't see him accepting a 1yr deal.

I think a "parting of ways" is the outcome.

Then Conroy gets the big chair. Fan favourite as a player. Will give the Flames some nice headlines for a week or so in the spring/early summer.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

What would make sense from an owner perspective is to actually listen to the fanbase.  Nobody is saying great job coach.  You want to make changes, give the GM one year extension.  Part ways with the coach and let him make decisions as to the direction.  He has to make tough decisions this summer.  If he can't do that, don't extend him and bring in a POHO to decide what to do.  The direction we are currently headed in is all wrong.  

You can't continue the in one out one performances.  If the goalie is toast, o something about it.  If the results are related to goalie or head coach decisions, then get rid of the coach(s).

You give the fanbase more credit than me lol.

part of me feels that listening to the fanbase is what got us here in the first place and where they came up with the "win now" policy.   The  3 second attention span.

Maybe....  Understanding the fanbase, and managing that.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You give the fanbase more credit than me lol.

part of me feels that listening to the fanbase is what got us here in the first place and where they came up with the "win now" policy.   The  3 second attention span.

Maybe....  Understanding the fanbase, and managing that.

How many here and at games booed this team.?

All you need to do is watch a presser and see how out of touch the coach is.

And look at #FireSutter.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How many here and at games booed this team.?

All you need to do is watch a presser and see how out of touch the coach is.

And look at #FireSutter.

All of this I see as evidence in Sutter's favor, I view twitter as a popular destination for people who avoid paragraphs and full sentences due to the mental strain involved.

"fire the coach" is a laughable and predictable outcome on twitter.  I'm not saying your reasons for having an issue with Sutter are, but the average fan is very much being the average fan right now.

99% of them cheered each and one of the incredibly short-sighted future-sacrificing decisions that got us here.

I feel bad for Ritchie actually.  Consensus on there seems to be he is the reason we didn't win the cup this year lol.  Luckily most of them won't remember in 3 days.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Don’t see a place for Ruzicka on the team going forward.

What I would like to see then do is flip him for a similar player needing a change of scenery.

They should have done this with Valimaki. The Oilers did with moving Samorukov for Kostin.

Depends on the coach, now doesn't it.

Same coach, same issues.

BT got caught short with Valimaki.

He was expected to push for a spot.

Coach had no interest in that at all.

Could have waived Stone or Mackey but they were Sutter choices.

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Francis thinks Lucic gets a 2yr deal. I don't see it. Needs to be at 1m or less. He doesn't think it will be here, which is good news I suppose.

Lucic is done.  He's set to retire, got the silver stick.

If he wants a job, the Flames can pay him to be a power lifting coach.

35 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Francis thinks Lucic gets a 2yr deal. I don't see it. Needs to be at 1m or less. He doesn't think it will be here, which is good news I suppose.

How does a vet go from making $6-mil to $1-mil in the span of one year and still be motivated to risk CTE to play?  Doubt it.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think anyone who believes Reaves is relevant will believe Lucic is.

Reaves is done too.  36 years old and slowing down.

I wouldn't want Lucic back even at $1-mil.  He an actual defensive liability moving forward.  Brett Ritchie is slightly better, not by much but still, younger and faster when compared to Lucic.  I only want Ritchie back at the 13th forward.  Lucic probably wouldn't be happy in that role.  I understand we are comparing bad vs bad here.  In a perfect world, Sutter steers away from a crash and bang 4th line next season and we don't have to talk about these kinds of players.

Do you guys think Coronato is ready next season?  Or needs some AHL seasoning?

Based on just one game, he looked a bit raw to me.  His play away from the puck needs work... yet, he's not far from a Dube or Mangiapane to be honest.  He's par with Pelletier... at his age, that's a compliment because that means he'll be way better than all these guys by the time he's 22/23.  Maybe one full year in the AHL would do good for Coronato's development unless the Flames can find a way to move bodies and find him a top 6 RW role.  I don't see him playing above Toffoli on the depth chart.  After that, there's Dube, Mangiapane, Huberdeau, Coleman, and Duehr on RW.