2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He probably felt dissed due to bringing in Kadri, and thereby demoting him to the 3rd line.

BT wanted depth, so I can understand why he would not seek a trade.

This summer is different.

Everything possible should be on the table.

Not to see we rebuild, just that anything should be looked at for value.

Staying the course makes no sense.

In one out one is not a good plan.

i kind of felt he was dissed all of last year, until Mangiapane was added to his line. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He probably felt dissed due to bringing in Kadri, and thereby demoting him to the 3rd line.

this.  Even Lindholm.  Not saying it has to happen but...

and yes even Backlund.  I just don't think we're likely to get a fair return at his age.   We would have done well at the tdl with him but that ship's sailed.

Basically most of the guys that are tradeable, I like.  Maybe one exception.

And most fans like.  Doesn't change the situation though

Well he had Mange all of last year basically.

So this year he doesn't even get that.

Lewis or other scraps.

I might be remembering it wrong, but I thought mange was a half of the year line mate with Backs. Backs started with lesser 3rd liners last year...I might be getting old and forgetting.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

believe it had more to do with Sutter and circumstances than Kadri. And the fact that Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving signaled a potential rebuild. 

Kadri and the Huberdeau trade are likely what rescinded the offer. 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

believe it had more to do with Sutter and circumstances than Kadri. And the fact that Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving signaled a potential rebuild. 

I don't have any idea of when this all took place so the timing is anyone's guess.

It didn't exactly sound like solif detailed reporting, so even though I believe it, I dont't know when.

The Kadri signing and Monahan trade were lined up together.

If you had the opportunity to trade Backlund and keep Monahan as a younger player, why trade away a 1st.

Anyway, the speculation will ramp up this summer.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I don't have any idea of when this all took place so the timing is anyone's guess.

It didn't exactly sound like solif detailed reporting, so even though I believe it, I dont't know when.

If you had the opportunity to trade Backlund and keep Monahan as a younger player, why trade away a 1st.

Monahan was and seems to still be broken. Teams didn't want him. And in Calgary he was almost nothing without Gaudreau. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Monahan was and seems to still be broken. Teams didn't want him. And in Calgary he was almost nothing without Gaudreau. 

Sure, because we used him as depth with players not good enough.

He was never going to carry a line, but he was playing well before the injury.

Imagine if he was the C for Huberdeau, who was very much a replacement for who set up Monahan before.

SO, if we had kept him and he was trending well (and not injured), he might have been a difference maker or a trade asset at TDL.

It looks like his new injuries are unrelated to what ailed him before.

Foot injury, followed by needing groin surgery (that's a kick in the nuts).

Anyway, what's done is done.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

2 reasons. First- Trading Backlunds cap hit away wouldn’t have been enough to sign Kadri. Second is the flames wanted to win this season and needed Backlund far more than they needed Monahan. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agreed.  The Flames didn't sign Kadri until last minute so it couldn't have been Kadri that made Backlund upset.

Last season, Sutter was vocal in the media about "if you get that much ice time, then you need to score" directed at Backlund.  That's to the media.  Who knows what was said behind closed doors.  Maybe Sutter has been pushing the wrong buttons on Backlund and making him feel disrespected.

In regards to potentially moving Backlund this summer, I would imagine his trade value is at an all time low.  He's an older player who didn't produce offensively and only has 1 year remaining before UFA.  He might fetch a frinch prospect only.

BUT, if we wait until next year's TDL when contenders get injuries and need veteran bodies, that's the time to move Backlund.  Suddenly, a 2nd or 3rd round pick is possible.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not saying we should stay the course but if Lindholm extends long term, then this team is going to stay the course.  There is reason to believe the Flames bounce back and become a playoff team again next season.  We had so many down years with so many players, especially goaltending.

And so, a part of me is cheering for Lindholm to leave because I think a total rebuild is the best and most healthy move for this franchise at this point. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not saying we should stay the course but if Lindholm extends long term, then this team is going to stay the course.  There is reason to believe the Flames bounce back and become a playoff team again next season.  We had so many down years with so many players, especially goaltending.

And so, a part of me is cheering for Lindholm to leave because I think a total rebuild is the best and most healthy move for this franchise at this point. 

Let's face it, we can't ice the same team.  We have cap challenges.

No raise to Ritchie unless we move Backlund and/or Hanifin.

Like you say, Hanifin is not the problem so much as playing him like a #2.

As a #2, paying him Weegar money makes no sense.

If Kylington comes back, then it makes even more sense to move Hanifin.

Younger player, still growing his NHL skills.

Was better with Hanifin.

Let's face it, we can't ice the same team.  We have cap challenges.

No raise to Ritchie unless we move Backlund and/or Hanifin.

Like you say, Hanifin is not the problem so much as playing him like a #2.

As a #2, paying him Weegar money makes no sense.

If Kylington comes back, then it makes even more sense to move Hanifin.

Younger player, still growing his NHL skills.

Was better with Hanifin.

you're worried about Ritchie? 

you must be Sutter lol.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

In regards to potentially moving Backlund this summer, I would imagine his trade value is at an all time low.  He's an older player who didn't produce offensively and only has 1 year remaining before UFA.  He might fetch a frinch prospect only.

BUT, if we wait until next year's TDL when contenders get injuries and need veteran bodies, that's the time to move Backlund.  Suddenly, a 2nd or 3rd round pick is possible.

say what??? He set a career high in points with 55. He had more 5 on 5 points than Lindholm. Top 35-40 in 5 on 5 points for centers, while being deployed as the 3rd line center. Think our expectations are a little out of wack here (as they often are with Backs)

Backlunds gonna be a tough move in the off season because of his cap hit. But if the flames wait till the deadline, are prepared to eat money (and provided he doesn’t regress) I’d be shocked if they didn’t get a first + for him. Backlunds the exactly type or center multiple teams would fall all over to get for a playoff run. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, cross16 said:

say what??? He set a career high in points with 55. He had more 5 on 5 points than Lindholm. Top 35-40 in 5 on 5 points for centers, while being deployed as the 3rd line center. Think our expectations are a little out of wack here (as they often are with Backs)

Backlunds gonna be a tough move in the off season because of his cap hit. But if the flames wait till the deadline, are prepared to eat money (and provided he doesn’t regress) I’d be shocked if they didn’t get a first + for him. Backlunds the exactly type or center multiple teams would fall all over to get for a playoff run. 

Exactly this ^^^^

45a18631976c18269a76d43ec00e3c90.png

this begs the question of who is really the 2nd best center on our team.  +\-  says a lot about these two.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting behavior

BT is definately invested in this team he built.

I have to wonder why none of the staff Trainers, management, most of executive don't have contracts?? Except for Dutter....

Flames are in a position to do a major refit of this teams executive end and can redo all the perifials of the locker room staff as well. 

4 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

BT is definately invested in this team he built.

I have to wonder why none of the staff Trainers, management, most of executive don't have contracts?? Except for Dutter....

Flames are in a position to do a major refit of this teams executive end and can redo all the perifials of the locker room staff as well. 

while this is possible I also believe the Flames made a decision several years ago they weren’t going to do contract extensions with their staff anymore. 
Sutter appears to have been an exception to this but I also believe Sutters normal extension includes a clause where he can’t be “fired” but allowed to walk if both sides agree. So while it appears he was extended he might not have been in the traditional sense. 

Can’t say for sure any of this is true for a fact as it’s only based on what I’ve heard the flames state publicly.

The “Flames” way to approach this off-season will be to let Treliving walk and call it a mutual decision. Promote Conroy to the GM chair, keep Sutter and run it back with some small work around the edges. Conroy will be cheap (comparatively) likely to get along with Sutter and won’t likely push back on their plans. 
that’s my expectation for what will transpire. Anything outside of that would make the various insiders who are saying buckle up, be correct. 

a Kadri trade would be my prediction for an out of left field move. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The “Flames” way to approach this off-season will be to let Treliving walk and call it a mutual decision. Promote Conroy to the GM chair, keep Sutter and run it back with some small work around the edges. Conroy will be cheap (comparatively) likely to get along with Sutter and won’t likely push back on their plans. 
that’s my expectation for what will transpire. Anything outside of that would make the various insiders who are saying buckle up, be correct. 

That sounds like making a sequel to a really bad film... Conroy might be an excellent GM, but I couldn't view this as setting him up for success.

Love.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

100%... Conroy is actually the perfect puppet GM because Sutter used to be his boss as a coach and GM... From a relationship standpoint, there's still lots of respect there.  Conroy will allow Sutter to overreach and make trades and acquisitions.

New GM but same direction.  Going all in to win the Cup next year (we already traded away our 1st round pick in the Monahan trade).  Don't tank next year.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

100%... Conroy is actually the perfect puppet GM because Sutter used to be his boss as a coach and GM... From a relationship standpoint, there's still lots of respect there.  Conroy will allow Sutter to overreach and make trades and acquisitions.

New GM but same direction.  Going all in to win the Cup next year (we already traded away our 1st round pick in the Monahan trade).  Don't tank next year.

We can only hope that BT will go to another team trying to "win now" and Conroy can do a deal with him to get the pick back.

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Exactly this ^^^^

45a18631976c18269a76d43ec00e3c90.png

this begs the question of who is really the 2nd best center on our team.  +\-  says a lot about these two.

I have always felt Backlund was a 2nd line C. I think if given good line mates he could have maintained a 50+ point average. 

The reason I think he was

pissed last year was because he was placed third in the depth charts for most of the year behind Lindholm and Monahan, until Monahan was demoted. It took a while I think and then finally he was given Mangiapane back and they looked like a really good third line and a good 2nd line. 

Coleman isn't really a 2nd liner, so I think that is why they become a 3rd liner.

a lot here think Backlund is just ok. Every player misses, as there is a reason they only score 45-55 points. It's hard too. I think Backlund's numbers could have been better throughout the years but he props up a lot of young players and plugs, and so we think he's a 3C. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

oh! Is it next year's 1st that we gave up in the Monahan deal? Yikes!

Gross

it is conditional, so likely lotto protected.