Chance to make playoffs? Draft lottery?

bosn111

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I see 93 points as the cutoff this year. The way the teams are playing they really are their .500+ numbers.

Winnipeg might be one that will play sun that number so that's where it is at. 

I think the Flames will need 94 points. It is possible. 

the wildcard will be the Preds.

NAS needs only 12 points in 9 games to hit 93.

We need 10 points in 7 games.

If CGY, NAS and WPG all played 500 hockey exactly, we would be last of the 3.

92, 91, 90.

That's a lot of suckage.  LOL

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think @flames-fan-in-jets-land could speak to it best, but damn those Jets "stars" are Patrick Kane level zero defence. If they miss, I have no idea why you'd keep Sceifele and even potentially Connor. But then again, I'm one who despises players too "good" to play defence.

they seem to be just as much of an enigma as the Flames. The team that was firing on all cylinders early in the season now seems to lack the full 60 minute mentality. Sound familiar? Only the Flames seem to do it game by game or even period by period.

This revived talk about PLD doesnt do them any favors either.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:
NHL_Team_2022_Flames.pngremaining schedule: Canucks, Ducks, Hawks, Jets, Canucks, Predators, Sharks
NHL_Team_2022_Jets.png remaining schedule: Red Wings, Devils, Flames, Predators, Sharks, Wild, Avalanche
NHL_Team_2022_Nashville.png remaining schedule: Penguins, Blues, Stars, Vegas, Canes, Jets, Flames, Wild, Avalanche

Wings are on the 2nd of a b2b for the Jets. Playing the Canes tonight. They've likely shut Husso down for the season to see if Ned or Hellberg can be backups next year. Husso's been waaay overplayed this year.

The Flames will make none of that matter, one way or the other.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Wings are on the 2nd of a b2b for the Jets. Playing the Canes tonight. They've likely shut Husso down for the season to see if Ned or Hellberg can be backups next year. Husso's been waaay overplayed this year.

The Flames will make none of that matter, one way or the other.

Saying we have the easiest schedule is like we dominate the non-playoff teams.  We don't and tend to play down to the competition at times.  Of the games remaining, the only one I am confident about winning is ANA.  The home and away B2B is going to be a loss of one.  We haven't fared well in those all year.  

My two cents is we need to be either tied or ahead of WPG and NSH before we meet them. If this happens I just see a shift in momentum, The enigma in this is NSH, trade-off key pieces loads of injuries, and still in the hunt. For them, this is just house money they are playing on right now. The Jets look exhausted and deflated IMHO. Plus the outside noise of PLD isn't helping either, if for some miracle they lose to the Wings I think they are done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

My two cents is we need to be either tied or ahead of WPG and NSH before we meet them. If this happens I just see a shift in momentum, The enigma in this is NSH, trade-off key pieces loads of injuries, and still in the hunt. For them, this is just house money they are playing on right now. The Jets look exhausted and deflated IMHO. Plus the outside noise of PLD isn't helping either, if for some miracle they lose to the Wings I think they are done. 

I agree. The inserted players into the Nashville lineup want to play harder to show they can make it. Might be why youth is a good motivator? 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. The inserted players into the Nashville lineup want to play harder to show they can make it. Might be why youth is a good motivator? 

Personally, I would rather bet the farm on young AHL players and young NHL players.

The failure to stick for Pelletier and Ruzicka (and Phillips and Zary) is on fixing blame to a small group.

Phillips may not be a traditional NHL player, but we saw a ton of crap since he went back to the AHL.

Seeing Duehr have to overcome playing low minutes and who he plays with should show something.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Personally, I would rather bet the farm on young AHL players and young NHL players.

The failure to stick for Pelletier and Ruzicka (and Phillips and Zary) is on fixing blame to a small group.

Phillips may not be a traditional NHL player, but we saw a ton of crap since he went back to the AHL.

Seeing Duehr have to overcome playing low minutes and who he plays with should show something.

i totally agree with you! In full agreement with everything you've been saying this year. I think there could've been a lot more success this year had the team been coached a bit differently and better. 

if I were Sutter, I'd be like matching more than rolling, especially at home where he has the advantage to do so. He's ultimately taking his own home ice advantage away in his process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Yup they have Chucky breathing down their necks.

Showing they NEED a healthy Jarry. They've cratered every time they have had to rely on DeSmith. Jarry's had a rough season of injuries. As for Nashville, Saros' back must be sore from carrying them all season.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Screenshot_2023-03-31-07-42-35-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Flames currently have 32% chance to make the playoffs while the Jets have 63.3% chance.  Needless to say, now is a great time to go on a winning streak.

https://www.moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

i think tonight is a must win. 

tonight could be a night that determines the fate... we win we have a chance. We lose and we need them to lose.

Detroit played and won last night. How often do teams win both back to backs? So tonight is surely a must win to have a chance. 

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Showing they NEED a healthy Jarry. They've cratered every time they have had to rely on DeSmith. Jarry's had a rough season of injuries. As for Nashville, Saros' back must be sore from carrying them all season.

Watched the game last night Man Soros is a beast. Nsh might be down another defenseman don't see them finishing out the season with a winning record.  

• Like 1

Flames just need to control what they have control of the game in front of them. A Flames win and a WPG loss are a huge as would be a Flames loss and WPG win. Every game here forth is a must-win, there are no excuses anymore to not be up for these games. The cream will rise to the top as they say

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Flames just need to control what they have control of the game in front of them. A Flames win and a WPG loss are a huge as would be a Flames loss and WPG win. Every game here forth is a must-win, there are no excuses anymore to not be up for these games. The cream will rise to the top as they say

It's not quite a 4 point game in the usual sense, but might as well call it that.

We can both win or both lose as well.

The issue is the 3 point games that could happen.

An OTL is a killer.

My hear hurts doing the comps.

WPG needs 6 wins in any fashion to eliminate us.

WPG needs 6 wins (4 in regulation) including a win over NAS to eliminate both NAS and CGY.

We can eliminate STL and VAN by getting 4 wins.

Anything about us eliminating NAS and WPG is too many factors for my little brain.

Safe to say if we lose a game to NAS and one to WPG, we are probably cooked.

For all the rumoured conflicts between Sutter and his players, the WPG dressing room is unravelling before our eyes.  A self destruct of epic proportions.  It should be assumed that they finish the season sub .500, like 3W and 4L for 91 points.  The magic number for the Flames might only be 92-points.

I don't understand why we are working towards wins we need some top prospect we will lose Phillips next season and a few more good ones and we sign a player who will never see the NHL probably not even make here from across the pond or am I missing something ? Do you guys actually think we will get pass the first round the way our goalies are playing? I know anything can happen once we get into the playoffs but even when we were first in the pacific we didn't get pass the 1st round and that was when Marky was at his best how will we get pass the first when he can barley stop a beach ball? Do you think Sutter will bring up wolf for the playoffs I highly doubt it so lets go for a good quality first round player. 

24 minutes ago, zima said:

I don't understand why we are working towards wins we need some top prospect we will lose Phillips next season and a few more good ones and we sign a player who will never see the NHL probably not even make here from across the pond or am I missing something ? Do you guys actually think we will get pass the first round the way our goalies are playing? I know anything can happen once we get into the playoffs but even when we were first in the pacific we didn't get pass the 1st round and that was when Marky was at his best how will we get pass the first when he can barley stop a beach ball? Do you think Sutter will bring up wolf for the playoffs I highly doubt it so lets go for a good quality first round player. 

Well actually we got to the second round.  But anyways.

The West is wide open this season.  All the powerhouse teams are in the East and they will destroy each other until the Finals.  Flames can take on MIN and DAL if we get the crossover to the Central bracket.  I even think VGK is scared of us.  More than ever before, anything can happen in the West.  Flames can get to the Finals and then lose again to the East powerhouse team... just to justify everything we've doing so we keep doing it.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well actually we got to the second round.  But anyways.

The West is wide open this season.  All the powerhouse teams are in the East and they will destroy each other until the Finals.  Flames can take on MIN and DAL if we get the crossover to the Central bracket.  I even think VGK is scared of us.  More than ever before, anything can happen in the West.  Flames can get to the Finals and then lose again to the East powerhouse team... just to justify everything we've doing so we keep doing it.

This Sutter based team if they make the playoffs will do some physical damage to our opponents. A depleted beat up VGK team would be an easy target second round. I could see Min and Col gifting WPG wins in their last 2 games if there was a prospect of facing the Flames or Wpg. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

This Sutter based team if they make the playoffs will do some physical damage to our opponents. A depleted beat up VGK team would be an easy target second round. I could see Min and Col gifting WPG wins in their last 2 games if there was a prospect of facing the Flames or Wpg. 

We do that almost every game.  Imagine a team facing us for 4-7 games.

If they managed to beat us, they would be really hurting.

If I was COL and Minny, I would be gifting NAS games.

They are a better defensive team when Josi is healthy, but not exactly a high scoring team.

WPG can be high risk and high reward.

The have the better goalie, but he's tailed on for whatever reason.

Locker room issues no doubt.