Chance to make playoffs? Draft lottery?

bosn111

3 hours ago, zima said:

I don't understand why we are working towards wins we need some top prospect we will lose Phillips next season and a few more good ones and we sign a player who will never see the NHL probably not even make here from across the pond or am I missing something ? Do you guys actually think we will get pass the first round the way our goalies are playing? I know anything can happen once we get into the playoffs but even when we were first in the pacific we didn't get pass the 1st round and that was when Marky was at his best how will we get pass the first when he can barley stop a beach ball? Do you think Sutter will bring up wolf for the playoffs I highly doubt it so lets go for a good quality first round player. 

I am more in the win big or lose big.

No in between.

If we lose tonight, shut down the players with minor injuries.

Winnipeg is back up by 5, so VAN game is a must win.

Last night was big.

Keeps the dream alive. The schedule also presents the Flames with an opportunity in the next two games. ANA and CHI, far from slam-dunk wins for this team.

It's a rare instance where I like having played more games than the team ahead in the standings. Big win for the Jets last night, but they've been an inconsistent operation since the calendar hit 2023. If the Flames can take care of business, at home, against two of the worst in the league, they enter the Jet game tied or ahead in the standings.

Puts the pressure right on the team that's been barely clinging to a playoff spot.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I am more in the win big or lose big.

No in between.

If we lose tonight, shut down the players with minor injuries.

Winnipeg is back up by 5, so VAN game is a must win.

I think the option of losing big is less of a reality than winning big.  Right now a potential lotto pick is 12 pts away even if the Flames lose the remaining games theres only a handful of teams that could pass them.  And even then there still the lottery odds to rely on so unless the plan was to full tank from here on they would still need to try and trade up the draft ladder to get a decent lotto chance.

The destiny of a mid to late teens pick is pretty much fulfilled.

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I think the option of losing big is less of a reality than winning big.  Right now a potential lotto pick is 12 pts away even if the Flames lose the remaining games theres only a handful of teams that could pass them.  And even then there still the lottery odds to rely on so unless the plan was to full tank from here on they would still need to try and trade up the draft ladder to get a decent lotto chance.

The destiny of a mid to late teens pick is pretty much fulfilled.

So if we end up with a 50-50 win lose could we pick up a good top 10 player?

4 minutes ago, zima said:

So if we end up with a 50-50 win lose could we pick up a good top 10 player?

There others that are alot more knowledgeable about the lottery rules but I'm sure the odds of top 5 are almost non-existent and even a 6 - 10 pick really wont change the final product all too much.

Look I love my team but we need some quality players we just sign 2 over the hill players for most of our cap space and they turned out to be a huge lose this yr ok not the cap space but very scary the next coming yrs perhaps they do better next yr but these guys are way pass there prime ok maybe not way pass but in 5 yrs they will be bought out and we will be on the hook for over 6 mil for hubs and over 3 for weager and chucky out pointed both of them  by 7 points thats right both of them. Now I guess the system sutter has them playing might have something to do with it but i'm not knowledgeable enough on the system to have an opinion on his system but you ppl on here do so tell me am I on drugs and every thing will be ok next yr ?. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zima said:

Look I love my team but we need some quality players we just sign 2 over the hill players for most of our cap space and they turned out to be a huge lose this yr ok not the cap space but very scary the next coming yrs perhaps they do better next yr but these guys are way pass there prime ok maybe not way pass but in 5 yrs they will be bought out and we will be on the hook for over 6 mil for hubs and over 3 for weager and chucky out pointed both of them  by 7 points thats right both of them. Now I guess the system sutter has them playing might have something to do with it but i'm not knowledgeable enough on the system to have an opinion on his system but you ppl on here do so tell me am I on drugs and every thing will be ok next yr ?. 

I dont understand what Chuckys #s have to do with it but FWIW even with his point performance his chances of getting into the post season are the same as Hubie/Weegar. Next year will hopefully be a better measuring stick of how those contracts will age.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Last night was big.

Keeps the dream alive. The schedule also presents the Flames with an opportunity in the next two games. ANA and CHI, far from slam-dunk wins for this team.

It's a rare instance where I like having played more games than the team ahead in the standings. Big win for the Jets last night, but they've been an inconsistent operation since the calendar hit 2023. If the Flames can take care of business, at home, against two of the worst in the league, they enter the Jet game tied or ahead in the standings.

Puts the pressure right on the team that's been barely clinging to a playoff spot.

For these next two games would be a perfect opportunity to play Pellts-Ruzie-Scoronato on the 4th line.

Both Anaheim and Chicago are not deep enough to have to worry about a mismatch. And speed against those teams would surprise them on the 4th line

29 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

For these next two games would be a perfect opportunity to play Pellts-Ruzie-Scoronato on the 4th line.

Both Anaheim and Chicago are not deep enough to have to worry about a mismatch. And speed against those teams would surprise them on the 4th line

Duehr seems to be getting better and better why would you take away from his ability to produce points on the 4th line but I would love to see coronato on any line to see where he is at playing on the bigs 

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Coronato plays this season. If Pelletier isn’t getting into the lineup, I don’t see Darryl using Coronato.

Heck, I don’t even know if Vladar will see the net again

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Coronato plays this season. If Pelletier isn’t getting into the lineup, I don’t see Darryl using Coronato.

Unfortunately our Winnipeg game is 2nd of a b2b. Tuesday host CHI Wednesday in the Peg. Maybe Vladar Tuesday?

1 hour ago, zima said:

Duehr seems to be getting better and better why would you take away from his ability to produce points on the 4th line but I would love to see coronato on any line to see where he is at playing on the bigs 

Moving Duehr up isn’t to take away anything from him. I think he would fare quite well playing with Kadri, as I see him with a similar skill set to Nichushkin. It also give both Kadri and Toffee a big body to go to the net.

The other side of that is as you said to get Coronato in the lineup to see what we have, I also want him playing with Pellts being it was mentioned by Matthew that he has been a huge help for him to get used to Calgary already. Don’t underestimate Pellts.

56 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Unfortunately our Winnipeg game is 2nd of a b2b. Tuesday host CHI Wednesday in the Peg. Maybe Vladar Tuesday?

They should, but will they?

CHI is really bad, so it makes sense to start Vladar. They're 2-0 against the Flames though.

Pretty easy travel for a b2b too.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree unfortunately, I have been a Sutter supporter for a long time, and I do have faith in him, but I can’t understand why he can’t or won’t recognize the impact of youth and energy in a lineup.

Just now, pikey7883 said:

I agree unfortunately, I have been a Sutter supporter for a long time, and I do have faith in him, but I can’t understand why he can’t or won’t recognize the impact of youth and energy in a lineup.

I would like to see Pelletier in the lineup over Ritchie.

I can give them a pass for being patient with Coronato. Really good prospect, but hasn't played pro hockey. Little unfair to ask him to step in during a playoff race.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Jets got the Wings on a b2b. NJ is the same tomorrow, as are the Flames on Wednesday.

Really favourable and there’s really no excuse for WPG to miss

NJ at least is still trying to hunt down the Canes. So they still have a reason to go hard. The Peg changed lines to put Dubois with Scheifele and Connor and it worked against a tired Wings team with a below avg NHL goalie that goes on waivers with regularity.

It likely won't last due to the defensive liabilities that are Scheifele and Connor. And Morrissey is out DTD which doesn't help a not-very-good D roster. They have a great goalie is their hope.

It never ceases to amaze me, the hype 40g scorers are given yet they are complete voids at the other end of the ice. This is where you put Lindholm up there with Barkov, Aho and recently Matthews who has really grown on the other side of the puck. It's rare and pretty much irreplaceable. If we want a captain it has to be Lindholm. Pay the man and lets be his team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

NJ at least is still trying to hunt down the Canes. So they still have a reason to go hard. The Peg changed lines to put Dubois with Scheifele and Connor and it worked against a tired Wings team with a below avg NHL goalie that goes on waivers with regularity.

It likely won't last due to the defensive liabilities that are Scheifele and Connor. And Morrissey is out DTD which doesn't help a not-very-good D roster. They have a great goalie is their hope.

It never ceases to amaze me, the hype 40g scorers are given yet they are complete voids at the other end of the ice. This is where you put Lindholm up there with Barkov, Aho and recently Matthews who has really grown on the other side of the puck. It's rare and pretty much irreplaceable. If we want a captain it has to be Lindholm. Pay the man and lets be his team.

It's interesting to watch WPG implode yet again.

No wonder PM is gone.

This was a team looking like one of the better to come out of the West.

Now it's a question they can make it, let alone win a round.

They are due for a roster blow up.

NAS is a team I never want to bet against.

You look at their lineup and go, yeah I know those two guys.

Then it's who?

No Josi or Ekholm?

No Forsberg?

No problem.

They traded away most of their chances to make the playoffs.

Yet, here they are.

There are fans that have railed against Backlund for years, but he gets the love.

Lindholm has a bit of a down year, yet he continues to lead the team.

We can't have three C's making more than $5M especially where Lindholm will get a big raise.

A defensive C that plays 3rd line or a shutdown role isn't a $5M player.

We went all in on Kadri, so get the best out of him.

Make a trade of Backlund after his standout season, which was trending down until the new year.