2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

13 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

An aside, the TV series Fargo largely takes place in Bemidji, but is filmed in Calgary.

Love.

More asides. When the locals heard I was Cdn, they'd always ask, "say about" expecting to hear aboot, lol

They were disappointed. Then I'd tell them Terrence & Philip is taking the piss, just like Fargo and the way you guys talk.

To a person, they hate that movie. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it's pretty accurate. Excellent people. I have zero problem with the Wild. Minnesota is an awesome hockey state. At that time, they didn't get anything but US news until they'd go fishing at Lake of the Woods near Kenora.

I was told several times that tuning to CBC radio was always a must. "You guys are so lucky, you get world news".

That always blew me away. Prior to the internet really getting established, the US was very secular and kept world news away from the population.

I think, to this day, it's why they are in such political turmoil. A path that we dearly need to NOT let influence Canada and Canadians. We were not brought up thinking Canada is the only country that matters.

Their govt succeeded in keeping their minds closed. There are still 10's of millions of them that grew up pre-internet.

Enough about that. They'll recover in the future. It's a lot of damage that will take as many generations to recover as it took to establish.

On a positive note, Minnesota and Minnesotans are awesome. I'd love to talk about home boy Byfuglien but I've babbled on enough. Just that that dude was special. Hockey was extremely tertiary to fishing & hunting. I have a lot of facts about that. Let's just say Winnipeg was perfect for him, or he may have quit earlier. Fascinating story. He should write a book.

9 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I know it's not going to happen, nor do i want to pay the price it wouid likely even take ..

But man..a guy can dream about the Oilers fans losing their freaking minds if we did ..haha

Ive seen articles suggesting his next contract will be largely influenced by the Huberdeau contract. Clearly not something we can afford going forward. On the off chance that BOS falls too far behind the 8-ball early in the season (Marchand and MacAvoy are injured and scheduled to return in Dec), maybe… MAYBE… Pasta becomes available at the TDL. 

I know BOS has more than half their roster going UFA after this season, so there is the potential Pasta decides not to re-sign in BOS. We will see! 

25 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Ive seen articles suggesting his next contract will be largely influenced by the Huberdeau contract. Clearly not something we can afford going forward. On the off chance that BOS falls too far behind the 8-ball early in the season (Marchand and MacAvoy are injured and scheduled to return in Dec), maybe… MAYBE… Pasta becomes available at the TDL. 

I know BOS has more than half their roster going UFA after this season, so there is the potential Pasta decides not to re-sign in BOS. We will see! 

Yep.. I can see Boston doing a new York style full teardown at the deadline . Load up on 2023 firsts if the one year run back fails .. otherwise it will be a Columbus style all in with the tank empty at the end ..

But they've earned it ..they've been great for a decade  

But players like that I wouldn't empty the cupboard on a rental .. tdl Boston will get their prices 

10 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Well this is ..... Interesting 🤓..   little self motivation? 

I will say honestly and without seller's remorse that I hope he scores that many over the next 3 seasons.

Maybe it's unlikely, but I'll be cheering for him. That dude bleeds character. I hate that he got so derailed with injuries, I hate that for any player. Not once did he use it as an excuse, when he easily could have.

I hope he rips it up. I kinda wish the D took the risk on him. Many D fans liked the idea, prior to Stevie Y going crazy in UFA. Nobody expected that, from a fan perspective. I'm not a Habs fan in the whatsoever, but I'll be cheering Mony hard. One trade that I actually hope we lose. It was out of necessity, so not a big deal to us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I will say honestly and without seller's remorse that I hope he scores that many over the next 3 seasons.

Maybe it's unlikely, but I'll be cheering for him. That dude bleeds character. I hate that he got so derailed with injuries, I hate that for any player. Not once did he use it as an excuse, when he easily could have.

I hope he rips it up. I kinda wish the D took the risk on him. Many D fans liked the idea, prior to Stevie Y going crazy in UFA. Nobody expected that, from a fan perspective. I'm not a Habs fan in the whatsoever, but I'll be cheering Mony hard. One trade that I actually hope we lose. It was out of necessity, so not a big deal to us.

I'm right there with you.. I was super happy he went to a team that not only will he get the shot and the fans will idolize him for it.. but a team I don't hate so I can cheer him on (just not against us lol) 

And you're right..he never used it as an excuse ..if anything he shouid have shut himself down and looked after things earlier.. but no I hope he gets back to a 30 goal player again and I'll cheer him the whole way 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Well this is ..... Interesting 🤓..   little self motivation? 

It could be that he is taking the number of the guy who pushed him out in Calgary, or with his old number retired in Montreal he is using the address of the park named after him in Brampton as his new number.

Flames' Monahan now has a park named after him in his hometown | Offside (dailyhive.com)

21 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't mind Rodrigues, I think he would be a really good fit. I also think Sutter isn't going to give guys like Pelletier a chance until he shows he is consistent at both ends of the ice. He has talked about guys playing in the NHL too early in the past.

I also wouldn't mind adding someone like Cody Eakin or Sam Steel just to add some depth.

I would like Rodrigues. I think he'd add some depth but mostly he'd add a RS and some faceoff ability to the middle and bottom 6 to give them some flexibility. 

Outside of that I don't think any of the rest of the FA make sense to me. Steel isn't going to work playing for Sutter, nor will he work in a bottom 6 role and I don't think Milano is a fit anymore. 

If you can't get Rodrigues then either pursue a trade or let their own depth/prospects compete for a job. 

13 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I know it's not going to happen, nor do i want to pay the price it wouid likely even take ..

But man..a guy can dream about the Oilers fans losing their freaking minds if we did ..haha

Pastrnak will be as expensive as Barzal.  Hanifin + Dube + 1st

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Same I hope the best for Monahan.  He's been a very good Flames his entire career.  Gave it 110%.  If only he makes $1.5-mil, we should keep him until he retires.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Same I hope the best for Monahan.  He's been a very good Flames his entire career.  Gave it 110%.  If only he makes $1.5-mil, we should keep him until he retires.

I'm not really sure what his mood was being traded.  On one hand he knew he wasn't going to just get top 6 here.  On the other, he was not at fault for his drop off.  I don't know that he would come back as a UFA for that little.  If he ramps it up, there's a chance he could be looking at $4M or so on an extension.  He needs to show that he has some mileage left.  Hope he get to that level.

I'm pretty happy that we've turned things over. I love Johnny's skating. It is unmatched. But I prefer Huberdeau because he's really intimidating.

His skill level is elite. That boy's got the shine.

I'm not going to miss Tkachuk at all. He is nothing short of frustrating to watch. He's half & half. Half elite, half "should you even be in this league?" I feel like he's more rep than actual ability.

Kadri at 2C I'd rather than Tkachuk.

Weegar is bonus. He replaces....ummmm Gudbranson? lol

We're a lot better than last year.

It's kinda fun.

We'll be awesome to watch. Damn, do we look good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Pastrnak will be as expensive as Barzal.  Hanifin + Dube + 1st

Are you thinking this would be the trade if Pasternak agrees to an extension with Calgary first? That’s what I was thinking for Barzal if he confirmed he’s interested in signing with us prior to the trade. 

At the TDL, Pasternak as a UFA with no guarantee of re-signing the following year shouldn’t cost 2 players with term plus a 1st IMO. That’s a major overpay for 2 months of service. 

13 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Are you thinking this would be the trade if Pasternak agrees to an extension with Calgary first? That’s what I was thinking for Barzal if he confirmed he’s interested in signing with us prior to the trade. 

At the TDL, Pasternak as a UFA with no guarantee of re-signing the following year shouldn’t cost 2 players with term plus a 1st IMO. That’s a major overpay for 2 months of service. 

agreed that might get it done as a rental..   as a sign and trade ?  swap Dube for Mangiapane and add in Coronato and Boston MIGHT look at it...

like i said earlier .. not a price many would like ...

I'll be honest before the Panthers trade went down I was hoping that might come up as a Tkachuk option 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

agreed that might get it done as a rental..   as a sign and trade ?  swap Dube for Mangiapane and add in Coronato and Boston MIGHT look at it...

like i said earlier .. not a price many would like ...

I'll be honest before the Panthers trade went down I was hoping that might come up as a Tkachuk option 

That's just the price to get Pastrnak... No guarantees on resigning... Plus we have no cap space anyways.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm pretty happy that we've turned things over. I love Johnny's skating. It is unmatched. But I prefer Huberdeau because he's really intimidating.

His skill level is elite. That boy's got the shine.

I'm not going to miss Tkachuk at all. He is nothing short of frustrating to watch. He's half & half. Half elite, half "should you even be in this league?" I feel like he's more rep than actual ability.

Kadri at 2C I'd rather than Tkachuk.

Weegar is bonus. He replaces....ummmm Gudbranson? lol

We're a lot better than last year.

It's kinda fun.

We'll be awesome to watch. Damn, do we look good.

loved Gaudreau but I find his skating can get him into trouble in that the confidence and patience sometimes takes him away from a shot while trying to wait for a pass. I find players like Huberdeau while, as Cross said in a post about a month ago, that he doesn't skate with it often, but sometimes Make better decisions when the are second nature quick decisions.

how many times did the Flames go on odd man rushes only to turn a high danger chance into a low percentage opportunity?

i hope that changes with Huberdeau and Weegar. 

They say the best lines have,

1 passer

1 shooter

1 player to go into the corners to get the puck

The Flames had this with Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk... And obviously there is overlap in skill which made this line that much more versatile.

What will Huberdeau - Lindholm be missing on RW?  Is it a Tkachuk type?  Is Toffoli the absolute wrong fit?  Is Mangiapane the answer?  Or who?

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

1 passer

1 shooter

The Flames had this with Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk... And obviously there is overlap in skill which made this line that much more versatile.

What will Huberdeau - Lindholm be missing on RW?  Is it a Tkachuk type?  Is Toffoli the absolute wrong fit?  Is Mangiapane the answer?  Or who?

For me Toffoli isn't a fit but Mags could be, even a Rodrigues. Get tthe right person on that top line at RW with speed and things could look really good for this club. I think Lindy and Hubie are going to be electric I could see Mags taken a step more to get this line really cooking. For me the square peg in the round hole right now is Toffoli and Dube. Man I like Dube and loved Toffoli till he got here. Toffoli got worse as the season progressed and IMHO Dube has yet to take that step. Just think of the speed we could play with if we had a Rodriquies in the top 6  

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

For me Toffoli isn't a fit but Mags could be, even a Rodrigues. Get tthe right person on that top line at RW with speed and things could look really good for this club. I think Lindy and Hubie are going to be electric I could see Mags taken a step more to get this line really cooking. For me the square peg in the round hole right now is Toffoli and Dube. Man I like Dube and loved Toffoli till he got here. Toffoli got worse as the season progressed and IMHO Dube has yet to take that step. Just think of the speed we could play with if we had a Rodriquies in the top 6  

I think you have to consider who played with who.

Mange played on  2 way line on LW, but was most successful with Coleman on RW.

Toffoli got non play drivers and it showed.

A lot of his goals have been scored on the rush and that line rarely rushed.

Puck carrier gets stopped at the blueline doesn't pass or it's a dump and chae.

Dude has rarely been successful outside of RW.

I think you ned to sep up lines with duos and trios.

Hubie-Lindholm is a due that makes sense, probably need a finisher with them.

Mange and Kadri sounds like a good choice.

A strong RHS RW probably makes sense, since Mange is a finisher.

Coleman and Backlund is a good idea.  

Need to find the 3rd.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, zima said:

We have seen numerous 1st rounders never make it past the AHL some to injury and some just can't hack what it takes I think we had a first just walk away because he was unable to have what it takes. On a sad note we lost a player who passed away can't remember why but a sad day for all.

Were you thinking George Pelowa in 1986 maybe?

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

1 passer

1 shooter

Coleman.

34 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Scratch Phil off the list

I understand Rodrigues has a few teams interested, including us. Now, with Phil the Thrill taking a $1.5M contract, maybe that gives Rodrigues some perspective on expectations for his next contract. We’ll see. 

So, there have been rumblings or assumptions that Chychrun may hold out and not show to Arizona’s camp. If true, this would put some additional pressure on the situation. Add to it that we all know NYR tried to acquire him last season and that Ottawa has been actively trying to acquire him (with Zaitsev part of the deal). Now, Arizona is adamant about receiving 1st round picks and prospects, they outright refuse any player that would ruin their chances at Bedard and the 2024 draft. 

With all that said, maybe we can swing a 3-way deal that works for everyone:

To OTT: Noah Hanifin

To ARI: Valimaki, Zaitsev, OTT 2023 1st round pick

To CGY: Chychrun

If and only if there’s a desire to acquire Chychrun over Hanifin. I’ve become comfortable with Hanifin at this point, but just throwing this idea out there. 

55 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I understand Rodrigues has a few teams interested, including us. Now, with Phil the Thrill taking a $1.5M contract, maybe that gives Rodrigues some perspective on expectations for his next contract. We’ll see. 

So, there have been rumblings or assumptions that Chychrun may hold out and not show to Arizona’s camp. If true, this would put some additional pressure on the situation. Add to it that we all know NYR tried to acquire him last season and that Ottawa has been actively trying to acquire him (with Zaitsev part of the deal). Now, Arizona is adamant about receiving 1st round picks and prospects, they outright refuse any player that would ruin their chances at Bedard and the 2024 draft. 

With all that said, maybe we can swing a 3-way deal that works for everyone:

To OTT: Noah Hanifin

To ARI: Valimaki, Zaitsev, OTT 2023 1st round pick

To CGY: Chychrun

If and only if there’s a desire to acquire Chychrun over Hanifin. I’ve become comfortable with Hanifin at this point, but just throwing this idea out there. 

Chychrun would be a nice add but not sure if BT will prioritize D at this point.  He has only 1 more bullet... the 2023 1st round pick.  He needs to use it on a RW.. maybe Patrick Kane at TDL.  Chychrun would be a nice add if we can get him for Hanifin+.. ARZ will probably ask for Coronato or something.