Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

7 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

The Flames were going to get hurt either way with a Johnny decision. Too much $ and it kills our cap and team moving forward. Him leaving leaves us short a star. My preference is to not pay than overpay. On the question of does he get booed or applauded? He will get steamrolled.

not over yet .. apparently the Johnny camp countered .. but they think its North of 11x8

gonna be an interesting day tomorrow now !

like i said , i dont blame him .. I led the charge right next to Eric Francis for years that no way was he staying .. for the very reason hes leaving .. family and home . But hed made me switch sides this year ./. really believed wed sold him on staying 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

not over yet .. apparently the Johnny camp countered .. but they think its North of 11x8

Well, I am confused now.

If it was north of 11, they would have just bitten the bullet.

But it seems like he decided himself.

Why all the back and forth?

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I am confused now.

If it was north of 11, they would have just bitten the bullet.

But it seems like he decided himself.

Why all the back and forth?

From what I'm gathering..the agent and BT went back and forth ..they both liked the deal.. decision went to Johnny and he said at that time no he's gonna and stay closer to home 

Quote from the agent was " the flames left everything on the table ..nothing more they could have done " 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

From what I'm gathering..the agent and BT went back and forth ..they both liked the deal.. decision went to Johnny and he said at that time no he's gonna and stay closer to home 

Quote from the agent was " the flames left everything on the table ..nothing more they could have done " 

That's quite the disconnect.

Agent just got screwed out of extra money by his client not being honest.

And he waited to the last minute to make that decision?  BS.

He knew exactly what was going to be offered.

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I get that now, but it makes no sense that you put the agent in that position.  What was the point of it?  He got offers he won't get anywhere.  They don't have to beat the Flames, just themselves.  Or just be in the right zipcode.

Well that sucks.

I respect the decision, can’t be mad at a guy for wanting to be closer to family. Would have loved to see him be a Flames player for the rest of his career. I am sure it was a difficult decision and not something he made lightly.

It was a nearly impossible position for Treliving to be in. He wasn’t going to trade Gaudreau at the deadline, and he had to do everything in his power to try and bring Gaudreau back to Calgary. Maybe he could have gotten a 2nd for Gaudreau’s rights at the draft, but I doubt it.

I hope he has nothing but success wherever ends up and I enjoyed watching him play for the last 8 years.

2 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

According to treliving it wasnt money it was cause Johnny wanted to be closer to family and i respect that

should’ve told the flames sooner. I guess I felt it would be the case that he’d leave. I hoped the flames did enough this past season for more success, but hindsight never works snd many of us called to trade him to get stuff for him. I guess one year of playoff money is worth the compensation in a trade last year or the year before.

we don’t know what the team looks like once the summer is over. We’ll see … but I wanna see a rebuild done right. Bad way to start one though, no pick in this draft in the first two rounds? Oh well

Just now, robrob74 said:

should’ve told the flames sooner. I guess I felt it would be the case that he’d leave. I hoped the flames did enough this past season for more success, but hindsight never works snd many of us called to trade him to get stuff for him. I guess one year of playoff money is worth the compensation in a trade last year or the year before.

we don’t know what the team looks like once the summer is over. We’ll see … but I wanna see a rebuild done right. Bad way to start one though, no pick in this draft in the first two rounds? Oh well

we were in and out of the playoffs every few years anyway.

5 hours ago, redfire11 said:

The Flames were going to get hurt either way with a Johnny decision. Too much $ and it kills our cap and team moving forward. Him leaving leaves us short a star. My preference is to not pay than overpay. On the question of does he get booed or applauded? He will get steamrolled.

I agree, it was going to be too much $$ for far to long...........and it's sad to see him go today, hurts either way. Flames still have JHG's $80M in their pocket ready to invest when the time is right. We missed our window (JHG, Monahan, Bennet), we were hopeful to win with these players but we failed. If the organization chooses a total tear down/ rebuild I'd be okay with that because I'm not seeing the replacement players presently in our org.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Did I miss something?  How did we lose the first two picks?