Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Is Johnny gonna get booed when he returns to the Dome? I think he might.

I will be booing him moving forward and he was my favourite player. I don't know what to do with his jersey now. I was thinking an X thru his name and number, or maybe just burn it and post the video on you tube. LOL

29 minutes ago, DHT said:

I will be booing him moving forward and he was my favourite player. I don't know what to do with his jersey now. I was thinking an X thru his name and number, or maybe just burn it and post the video on you tube. LOL

That's Oilers talk.  The jersey is sacred.  Tear the nameplate off.  Leave the number.  Red is red.  I suspect if you look in the stands, you see a lot of player names that haven't been here is years.  Remember one thing, Iggy forced us to trade with one team only.  Not that the other offer was much better, but the return sucked.  Yes, he didn't choose to stiff us, but the trade did.

I'm only joking.  Do what you feel is right.  As FF52 used to say, it's not the name on the the back, it's the crest on the front.

46 minutes ago, DHT said:

Don't burn, just don't get a name on your next jersey.  Save the $100 and future disappointment.  Blank jerseys are the way to go, I stopped buying names after my #47 Baertschi.  Waste.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I unfortunately bought a Brian Elliott jersey lol

Thankfully I never purchased a Gaudreau jersey as he never did seem committed 💯 long term. Nothing will beat the one time I saw a guy rocking a Flames Brouwer jersey in Edmonton.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Thankfully I never purchased a Gaudreau jersey as he never did seem committed 💯 long term. Nothing will beat the one time I saw a guy rocking a Flames Brouwer jersey in Edmonton.

I had zero problem with getting a jersey.  Got the Alibabba version, so it was $30.00, so not a big outlay of cash.  He may have signed for 8 years last time if we had the deal to put together.  We wouldn't be having this thread talk about him leaving this summer.  We got 6 out of him after his ELC.  

Something set him off.  Politics.  Being stuck in Canada.  Being stuck alone for months at a time here.  Family marooned outside of Canada for two years.  Getting married and wifey didn't want to possibly get stuck in Canada again.  Who knows.  

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Are you the only one in Calgary with an Elliott Jersey?

Flames had a sale prior to the 2017 home opener. That was the last season with the Reebok jerseys so it was a decent deal. Think I maybe paid 100 for it, instead of the 250 originally.

Ended up selling it on Kijiji for like 40 bucks lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I unfortunately bought a Brian Elliott jersey lol

Just think seeing someone in a James Neal Flames Jersey. They could piss off people in both Calgary and Edmonton.

Still have my Joel Otto Jersey I bought in 86

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I had zero problem with getting a jersey.  Got the Alibabba version, so it was $30.00, so not a big outlay of cash.  He may have signed for 8 years last time if we had the deal to put together.  We wouldn't be having this thread talk about him leaving this summer.  We got 6 out of him after his ELC.  

Something set him off.  Politics.  Being stuck in Canada.  Being stuck alone for months at a time here.  Family marooned outside of Canada for two years.  Getting married and wifey didn't want to possibly get stuck in Canada again.  Who knows.  

Yup absolutely and possibly all

of Those.

I started doubting his commitment to

Cgy a few years back when he

stopped wearing flames gear in media coverages…was kinda a huge tell when all His teammates did but he didn’t…

also one of The reasons Im not

so worried about Tachuck, he

still shows the team logo, the only issue with Tachuck is gonna be $$$, anything 10 or more is way too high but I could see the Tachuck family pushing for 10+ all cause Cgy offered Gaudreau 10.5

personally, 9x8 is a very reasonable for Tachuck 9.5x8 is starting to get a bit high but acceptable due to his age and potential to get even better….

i think best option to land Tachuck is to offer 9x8 and the capacity and he’d be all in.

• Like 1

So I'm over it. He plays for Columbus now and I've stopped caring why. Social media has gone nuclear on him.

Even other teams' fans (including Oilers) chime in that he Blockchained us.

It's time to put a bullet in this thing.

Every sentence out of his mouth is now dissected into hate speech.

It's time to let go of the anger and let the cat move on, live his life, and be better people ourselves.

Honestly, the $10.5 x 8 would have killed us. We're a team with a rugged, hard-to-play identity.

He isn't that player.

Give him space and he's a sensational playmaker. Take that away, and he's not.

Let's RIP this thread into the back pages.

We floundered for years with no identity with him, we'll keep our newfound identity without him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So I'm over it. He plays for Columbus now and I've stopped caring why. Social media has gone nuclear on him.

It's time to let go of the anger and let the cat move on, live his life, and be better people ourselves.

Honestly, the $10.5 x 8 would have killed us. We're a team with a rugged, hard-to-play identity.

He isn't that player.

We floundered for years with no identity with him, we'll keep our newfound identity without him.

I'm all for moving on.  We have to get that player that is a playmaker.  Maybe a couple of them.  I have no doubt that Pelletier could be that to the third line, since we have shooters.  Lindy just can't be everything to Tkachuk.  Lindy was our best overall player last year, and much of his time was used to make up for the relative slowness of Tkachuk and the general lack of defensive play from JH.  By that I mean a lot of east west stuff that ended in turnovers and not being willing to sacrifice in the D zone.  He was about as defensive as Draisaitl.

I'm not sure we can find the right player in FA, so we may have to sacrifice a D or other to get one.      

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He isn't that player.

I'm starting to move on as well.  Gaudreau also didn't get everything he wanted and had to "settle" for Columbus which wasn't his first choice.  Money was left on the table.  I don't believe he's laughing all the way to Columbus or anything like that.  Karma hit him a bit too.

Also, I've always thought he was a goner so I'm not as shocked as most.  Was told by everyone don't worry but him leaving was always over 50% for me.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm starting to move on as well.  Gaudreau also didn't get everything he wanted and had to "settle" for Columbus which wasn't his first choice.  Money was left on the table.  I don't believe he's laughing all the way to Columbus or anything like that.  Karma hit him a bit too.

Also, I've always thought he was a goner so I'm not as shocked as most.  Was told by everyone don't worry but him leaving was always over 50% for me.

Him leaving was 50% no matter what we were saying or hoping for.  Fans were nervous as soon as the offer was given.  As each day passed, it was more obvious this was someting more than negotiating.

Similar to Iggy's days, we spent a lot of years trying to find the right fit.  Brouwer, Neal, Ferland, Monahan, Lindholm, Ritchie, etc.  We went through how many coaches trying to find the magic.  Every year it was on the top line as to why we didn't win or get in the playoffs.    

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Totally agree, he looked pretty shell shocked at the press conference if you ask me.  Maybe just a different dude, that’s why he was never offered the C.  

• Like 1

It sure sounds like Gaudreau over played his hand and took the best non Calgary offer.

Bottom line I think he would have come back, but I don’t think his family would have been happy with that. I think the public scrutiny was too much for them and being in a different country was factor.

I will be very interested to see in the coming weeks/months if he and Lewis Gross part ways. It's probably because i'm closer to this one that others but i'm not sure I have seen a more botched free agent process than this one. 

I get Gaudreau wouldn't be prepared for this but what about Gross? and if Gross was doing his job did Johnny just not listen? I have a hard time believing him that he wants to be in Columbus for the next 7 years. It's just very, very bizarre. 

Be interesting to see if he stays there for the full 7. 

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It sure sounds like Gaudreau over played his hand and took the best non Calgary offer.

Bottom line I think he would have come back, but I don’t think his family would have been happy with that. I think the public scrutiny was too much for them and being in a different country was factor.

For sures Philly was no.1 target for Gaudreau... Maybe I have to give Gaudreau a bit more credit here because he and everyone else could see PHI's cap situation... That's one reason why Gaudreau led BT to believe there was a chance he would stay.  If not Philly then might as well stay right? Maybe.

Then the day before UFA, we saw PHI buyout Oskar Lindblom and rumoured to be shopping Provorov to free up cap space... His agent may have confirmed these rumours with Gaudreau... And it was right there, Gaudreau took a gamble himself and gave BT the notice to leave... 

Friday morning, PHI doesn't trade Provorov and Gaudreau had to pivot to Plan B... Columbus.

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I will be very interested to see in the coming weeks/months if he and Lewis Gross part ways. It's probably because i'm closer to this one that others but i'm not sure I have seen a more botched free agent process than this one. 

I get Gaudreau wouldn't be prepared for this but what about Gross? and if Gross was doing his job did Johnny just not listen? I have a hard time believing him that he wants to be in Columbus for the next 7 years. It's just very, very bizarre. 

Be interesting to see if he stays there for the full 7. 

Gaudreau admitted in his intro presser that he didn't know anything about Columbus.  He had to ask other players around the league how it was like.  He has only ever travelled between the hotel and the arena.  He also couldn't name more than two players in Columbus that he previously played with... And one of them was Gudbranson (the other Werenski).  He had no clue.

I mean, sure he can stay the full 7 years there.  It's probably a really nice place to live and raise a family (I've never been). But also might may ask CBJ to trade him to PHI after a couple years.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For sures Philly was no.1 target for Gaudreau... Maybe I have to give Gaudreau a bit more credit here because he and everyone else could see PHI's cap situation... That's one reason why Gaudreau led BT to believe there was a chance he would stay.  If not Philly then might as well stay right? Maybe.

Then the day before UFA, we saw PHI buyout Oskar Lindblom and rumoured to be shopping Provorov to free up cap space... His agent may have confirmed these rumours with Gaudreau... And it was right there, Gaudreau took a gamble himself and gave BT the notice to leave... 

Friday morning, PHI doesn't trade Provorov and Gaudreau had to pivot to Plan B... Columbus.

Sure, but why not then sign a 2 year deal in CGY.  Or even a one year deal.  Gives Philly the time to make a true play for him.  And gives us a chance to make something of it.  I get he turned it down on Jully 13th, but he could have sais he just wants to field offers.  That would allow him some leeway.  All or nothing if you are not sure was strange.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

In my mind this was always why he was waiting (well that and it's a tactic his agent uses) he wanted to see if Philly would open up cap space. What I don't get, and where I question the agent, is when he said no the Flames he had to know Philly was out. I mean the rumors all day on Tuesday were Philly wasn't going to pay the price to move JVR and were then out on Gaudreau. What did they see that we didn't?

Columbus felt more like plan D, almost a we better take this otherwise were not going to get a long term deal type of pivot. It was pretty shocking how little he knew about Columbus in the interviews i've watched.  Just so weird you'd commit to a place for that long where you probably don't really want to go to. Not the first athlete who has done it but it's just weird to me. 

I also found it weird that the agent sent a message to Friedman within minutes of the news breaking that Gaudreau was out. The "Flames did all they could" tweet is weird to send out so fast from an agent.