Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

1 minute ago, flames for life said:

Did I miss something?  How did we lose the first two picks?

we traded at least the first one… 

didn’t lose lose, but used them on a crappy run where the team (played ok) but failed to play their own game… just saying they traded a boat load to try and win this year… 

I guess we had our 2nd rounder… it’s how much I watched the draft or off season so far. 

51 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I agree, it was going to be too much $$ for far to long...........and it's sad to see him go today, hurts either way. Flames still have JHG's $80M in their pocket ready to invest when the time is right. We missed our window (JHG, Monahan, Bennet), we were hopeful to win with these players but we failed. If the organization chooses a total tear down/ rebuild I'd be okay with that because I'm not seeing the replacement players presently in our org.

Happy to hear that.  I hope more of the fanbase would come to this conclusion.

And I mean, this time is so different than 2013 where we had nothing but Giordano and Glencross.  There's a bit more to work with this time so the turn around should be quicker.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Happy to hear that.  I hope more of the fanbase would come to this conclusion.

And I mean, this time is so different than 2013 where we had nothing but Giordano and Glencross.  There's a bit more to work with this time so the turn around should be quicker.

Naaah. What are you, recruiting?

This is a good team, the JG narrative is whatever. This is a good team.

One guy isn't the whole team, like, ever.

Wherever he goes, he won't be the whole team there, either.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Naaah. What are you, recruiting?

This is a good team, the JG narrative is whatever. This is a good team.

One guy isn't the whole team, like, ever.

Wherever he goes, he won't be the whole team there, either.

I know it's a good team. 

But is it so much to ask for a great team?

The whole problem is that we are going to be a playoff team and then eliminated.  Are you happy with that?

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I know it's a good team. 

But is it so much to ask for a great team?

The whole problem is that we are going to be a playoff team and then eliminated.  Are you happy with that?

We were a playoff team and eliminated.  Because the team didn't score when we needed to.  We barely scored against DAL, and blew Marky's best performances against them.  Should have been done in 4, then we wouln't have 4 players injured.

My point being, in two series that we could easily have beaten both, we didn't get it done.  Maybe with one or two different guys we do that.  When Backlund is your best player in a round, something is wrong.  

So, we needed to fix the team anyway, but had no cap.  Now we cleared up a bucnh of potential spent cap.  We need a dynamic C.  We need a playmaking winger.  We need another top D.  None of that has really changed.  Maybe Tkachuk gets us two of those pieces.  Or Mangiapane gets us a C.  

Reasons to be cheerful.

Disappointed in how it played out but  actually optimistic and pleased we did not tie ourselves to a 10.5 for 8 years.

Trade Chucky now.  We know the Tkachuks always play hardball with the cash so get as much as you can from him now 

Sign Mange and promote to the top line.

Bring up some young blood from the farm for the top 6 role.

Look at some people like Sonny Milano, Danton Heinon, Ryan Donato for mid six roles.  Maybe Sam Steel?

Hard no on Kadri

So glad asshat Kane is tied to the Oil.  Look forward to that train wreck in the coming months.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, we needed to fix the team anyway, but had no cap.  Now we cleared up a bucnh of potential spent cap.  We need a dynamic C.  We need a playmaking winger.  We need another top D.  None of that has really changed.  Maybe Tkachuk gets us two of those pieces.  Or Mangiapane gets us a C.  

This. 

Thank you Johnny for your 8 years with us. You are such a dynamic player and it was amazing to watch you do what you do in a flames jersey. Of course I’m disappointed that your time here has come to an end, but I wish you the best and look forward to you thrashing the Eastern conference. “Go Johnny Go”, eh?

Time to move on folks! Let’s not get butthurt over this. One player doesn’t make a team. As great as Johnny has been for the Flames…what did we really accomplish with him? An embarrassing 2nd rd exit? We barely even got out of the 1st rd. This team has had major holes in it for years. If anything our focus shifts from depending on 100pts from Gaudreau every year to getting that production out of having more productive lines across the board. We had 1 true scoring line last year. That’s not the signs of a great team, it’s not even sustainable in this league. We have a ton of cap space and a brand new outlook ahead of us. Sure change can be scary but it can also be a great thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Time to move on folks! Let’s not get butthurt over this. One player doesn’t make a team. As great as Johnny has been for the Flames…what did we really accomplish with him? An embarrassing 2nd rd exit? We barely even got out of the 1st rd. This team has had major holes in it for years. If anything our focus shifts from depending on 100pts from Gaudreau every year to getting that production out of having more productive lines across the board. We had 1 true scoring line last year. That’s not the signs of a great team, it’s not even sustainable in this league. We have a ton of cap space and a brand new outlook ahead of us. Sure change can be scary but it can also be a great thing. 

Yep!..  I want our focus to be what it was anyway..fix the 2nd line ..get a center that can boost Toffoli..  I've said all along that Mangiapane on the top line will fit just fine ..no hes not Johnny but he's always played the way Johnny only started to play this year .. if we can make the 2nf line dangerous the top line will benefit

And we really are overlooking just how good Lindholm is.

Being a NCAA he could have walked and gone to Philly from the start he kept his word and stayed here sorry to see him go this team will not be the same with out him now we have 2 lines that are in deep doo doo. I just hope BT doesn't piss off our RFAs or we will lose them as soon as they have a chance. I still think the battle the last extension on JH left him bitter and I believe that was a factor in this one I believe JH never intended to sign here and made sure this team suffered for it I guess I should say BT suffer for it. 

Just now, rickross said:

Yup. Ohio it is!  ….he can eat his cheese sandwiches with American cheese again 

Ohio, the land of chilli 5 way.

Yes, chilli served on spaghetti with cheese, onions, beans, etc.

He will need to get used to the cannon going off.

He was terrified of it when he played there.

As a goodwill jesture, CBJ should send us Laine for future considerations.

This is something serious here, players are not happy in Calgary.  Not only Johnny, it started with Bennett. I am pretty sure two more super stars will leave the team in the future, nobody wants to be here.  There is something wrong with this organisation, maybe they didn’t treat them too good.  Who will come?  I will be scared as a player to come to Calgary now, what the hell just happened in Calgary?

22 hours ago, rickross said:

How to move on when you have 100 points less?????  Lol, I mean 100 points.

You are all pure gold, I don't know how you do it lol.

This thread be like,

"Johny's gonna stay, don't be a fear monger"

then
"Johnny made a familly decision, can't blame him for that, of course he wants to be in Philly.  Happy wife happy life"

then

"It is absolutely unacceptable to criticise Johnny, this is nothing personal, it's a familly decision"

then

"Oh...good luck in Ohio Johnny! All the best to you!"

Lol you are all made of pure gold, I don't know how you do it.

If I wanted Johnny to stay, I'd personally be pretty choked.   But, with the salary being offered to him I think this may be the best.   And if I were to guess at an explanation for what happened, I would guess...money.

I'm not so sure Philly wanted Gaudreau as badly as Gaudreau wanted Philly.   A lot of teams, it think, that are serious about building a playoff contender, are not going to put out that kind of money for Gaudreau with the...uncertainty, to say the least, of what he might contribute in a Stanley cup final.

But why not Calgary then?   Actually I really don't get that.   One theory I have is that Sutter made Gaudreau perform even when things got physical.   And that was actually an issue for him.  He's not going to have that issue in Columbus.

At the end of the day, I think him leaving was the best thing for us given the amount of money we would be on the hook for.    Him leaving for nothing is another story.

• Like 1

The way this all played out definitely feels like Gaudreau gave the franchise and the fan base the middle finger. I say we give him the middle finger back and help Philly clear cap space today and take JVR or Provorov off their hands lol.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That was my thought the first time going to Columbus too. But I think he means it in the opposite way.

38 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The way this all played out definitely feels like Gaudreau gave the franchise and the fan base the middle finger. I say we give him the middle finger back and help Philly clear cap space today and take JVR or Provorov off their hands lol.

I am all about weaponizing cap.  We never had the ability before and wouldn't if we signed him.  JVR would actually be good on our team.  He still has a few miles left.  But they would have to take Monahan or Hanifin back.  Hanifin makes sense, since he would be replaced anyway by Provorov.  You send them Monahan if we plan on moving Kylington for a forward.  Maybe we send them Monahan + Kylington and they include Frost.