Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Gaudreau admitted in his intro presser that he didn't know anything about Columbus.  He had to ask other players around the league how it was like.  He has only ever travelled between the hotel and the arena.  He also couldn't name more than two players in Columbus that he previously played with... And one of them was Gudbranson (the other Werenski).  He had no clue.

I mean, sure he can stay the full 7 years there.  It's probably a really nice place to live and raise a family (I've never been). But also might may ask CBJ to trade him to PHI after a couple years.

I don't always believe what people on the web say, but some have described it as a border between Cincinnati and Cleveland.  A whole lotta nothing.  Hehe.  Pictures of it remind me of EDM and the Sask. river bordering downtown.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In my mind this was always why he was waiting (well that and it's a tactic his agent uses) he wanted to see if Philly would open up cap space. What I don't get, and where I question the agent, is when he said no the Flames he had to know Philly was out. I mean the rumors all day on Tuesday were Philly wasn't going to pay the price to move JVR and were then out on Gaudreau. What did they see that we didn't?

Columbus felt more like plan D, almost a we better take this otherwise were not going to get a long term deal type of pivot. It was pretty shocking how little he knew about Columbus in the interviews i've watched.  Just so weird you'd commit to a place for that long where you probably don't really want to go to. Not the first athlete who has done it but it's just weird to me. 

I also found it weird that the agent sent a message to Friedman within minutes of the news breaking that Gaudreau was out. The "Flames did all they could" tweet is weird to send out so fast from an agent.

My hunch is the Provorov rumours.  Perhaps Gross even had insider info on PHI that confirmed a trade was imminent (agents should have a pretty good grasp of what's about to go down).  So, leaning E5, Gaudreau and Gross took a big gamble.  A gamble which costed Gaudreau $13-million and didn't get him to PHI.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Columbus felt more like plan D, almost a we better take this otherwise were not going to get a long term deal type of pivot. It was pretty shocking how little he knew about Columbus in the interviews i've watched.  Just so weird you'd commit to a place for that long where you probably don't really want to go to. Not the first athlete who has done it but it's just weird to me.

I remember an interview with Chris Pronger after the Oilers debacle where he said almost this exact thing. It was a phone call from his agent, the Oilers were interested, and he and his wife discussed the offer for something like five minutes.

We all know what happened next.

Love.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I remember an interview with Chris Pronger after the Oilers debacle where he said almost this exact thing. It was a phone call from his agent, the Oilers were interested, and he and his wife discussed the offer for something like five minutes.

We all know what happened next.

Love.

it can work too. Charles Woodson signed with the Packers because they were the only team to give him a good offer. Originally hated it but wound up staying and won a Super Bowl. 

I just find it interesting when it does. 

I've actually been to Columbus. Went on an MLB trip and ended up spending a day-off in Columbus.

It's a nice city. It's situated in Ohio a little bit like Red Deer. Cincy to the south and Cleveland to the north. Both cities have football and baseball. Right in the middle of the state, is the NHL team.

I didn't spend a ton of time there, but looked like a fine city, especially for a millionaire NHL star.

I really think this came down to Canada's stupid Covid restrictions and JH was not taking the chance on being stuck here with a new family and not being able to have his or his wife's family come and go as pleased.  He may have wanted the opportunity at Philly, as well, but I think if our insane government wasn't in place he'd still be wearing the Flaming C.  I know that would be a MAJOR concern for me if I was a foreigner and was contemplating signing to stay for 8 years. I'd bet money that was the biggest factor for him.

2 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I really think this came down to Canada's stupid Covid restrictions and JH was not taking the chance on being stuck here with a new family and not being able to have his or his wife's family come and go as pleased.  He may have wanted the opportunity at Philly, as well, but I think if our insane government wasn't in place he'd still be wearing the Flaming C.  I know that would be a MAJOR concern for me if I was a foreigner and was contemplating signing to stay for 8 years. I'd bet money that was the biggest factor for him.

On his talk he did say that yes he liked Philly .. but his mention of " close but not too close" made sense. Don't know how many of you are married but best advice I ever got or heard to a new married couple was exactly that .. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Ya possible.  There are a lot of Canucks fans and Oilers fans laughing at us right now but I'm partly thinking that this could easily happen to them too.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya possible.  There are a lot of Canucks fans and Oilers fans laughing at us right now but I'm partly thinking that this could easily happen to them too.

Oiler fans are kidding themselves if they think McDavid and Draisaitl will spend their entire careers in Edmonton. It'll happen to them in due time.

Seriously though, how many players are "one jersey players" anymore? It's so rare

• Like 1

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Oiler fans are kidding themselves if they think McDavid and Draisaitl will spend their entire careers in Edmonton. It'll happen to them in due time.

Seriously though, how many players are "one jersey players" anymore? It's so rare

I think the next one to fall is Matthews.. the one Burke called the dumbest contract ever given.. max $.. 0 Ufa years bought.. walks him right to his earliest Ufa year 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I think the next one to fall is Matthews.. the one Burke called the dumbest contract ever given.. max $.. 0 Ufa years bought.. walks him right to his earliest Ufa year 

Oh for sure.

Again, it circles back to the point that it's so rare for players to play their entire career in one uniform.

That's why I get a little annoyed when the fairweahter fans say "we got nothing for Kipper". Yeah he started his career in SJ, but he was essentially a career Flame and he wanted to end as a Flame. The chants of "one more year were awesome". 

We all thought Iggy and Gio were career Flames, but that wasn't even the case. It's just so rare these days. 

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Oh for sure.

Again, it circles back to the point that it's so rare for players to play their entire career in one uniform.

That's why I get a little annoyed when the fairweahter fans say "we got nothing for Kipper". Yeah he started his career in SJ, but he was essentially a career Flame and he wanted to end as a Flame. The chants of "one more year were awesome". 

We all thought Iggy and Gio were career Flames, but that wasn't even the case. It's just so rare these days. 

Totally agree .. that's why some players , to me earn the right to stay or go.. I wasn't all that upset we missed the window on Iggy cuz he earned the right to stay a flame as long as he wanted..same with kipper ..  if it wasn't for the expansion draft Gio might have earned that as well .

Sometimes stuff like this happens ..ok.. but theres a reason why even many players who left came back to live here . We're known as a classy organization..  unlike Vegas for example

• Like 2

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So I'm over it. He plays for Columbus now and I've stopped caring why. Social media has gone nuclear on him.

Even other teams' fans (including Oilers) chime in that he Blockchained us.

It's time to put a bullet in this thing.

Every sentence out of his mouth is now dissected into hate speech.

It's time to let go of the anger and let the cat move on, live his life, and be better people ourselves.

Honestly, the $10.5 x 8 would have killed us. We're a team with a rugged, hard-to-play identity.

He isn't that player.

Give him space and he's a sensational playmaker. Take that away, and he's not.

Let's RIP this thread into the back pages.

We floundered for years with no identity with him, we'll keep our newfound identity without him.

bump

I am never going to judge a person or player negatively for choosing family. Family is everything. 

With time I am not mad at Gaudreau for the fact that he chose Columbus. 

I wish things happened differently and that the decision happened sooner. 

At the end of the day I hope he has a long successful run in Columbus, and that those fans enjoy and understand the type of talent they get to watch.

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Johnny Gaudreau with a letter to Calgary and Flames fans

Good Article, shows the human side of life. I was critical of how he left not why he left. He summories some of the major sacrifices a pro athlete goes through. My take he loves hockey but he needs the security and safety to be able to be near family more. He was good here enjoyed the little bastard, wish him well, but to beat a dead horse an internal mandated deadline his decision would not have changed just we could have been in a better position to react. Good Luck JG 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Good Article, shows the human side of life. I was critical of how he left not why he left. He summories some of the major sacrifices a pro athlete goes through. My take he loves hockey but he needs the security and safety to be able to be near family more. He was good here enjoyed the little bastard, wish him well, but to beat a dead horse an internal mandated deadline his decision would not have changed just we could have been in a better position to react. Good Luck JG 

yup and that's on Brad not on him. Brad gave him too much leverage and too late of a deadline. I think GM needed to know going into last season. Most of us "knew."

we didn't know, but we knew.

Here's the passage that bothered me, and not about Gaudreau but about the process...

And this is the truth, I promise: I cherished the time I spent in Calgary. For a long time, Meredith and I saw our future there. We wanted to re-sign last summer. We were looking at homes to start a family. But it just didn’t work out and we thought this summer might be different.

Everyone "knew" Gaudreau wanted to be closer to family but yet he:

Engaged in extension talks last summer

Publicly declared multiple times he wanted to stay

Never asked to be traded

Engaged in a long term deal this summer

Reached a verbal deal with the Flames prior to FA this year

Yes there was always a risk the pull out East would win out but at the same time acknowledge that there were plenty of signs that he wanted to stay too and if I were the Flames I totally get it. Yes they gambled, yes the took a risk and yes at the end of the day it didn't work out but I don't think we should pretend to act like they were fighting a losing battle all along. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Here's the passage that bothered me, and not about Gaudreau but about the process...

And this is the truth, I promise: I cherished the time I spent in Calgary. For a long time, Meredith and I saw our future there. We wanted to re-sign last summer. We were looking at homes to start a family. But it just didn’t work out and we thought this summer might be different.

Agreed, They likely had him last summer and played hard ball.  How do you let a star of this age go into his last year?  

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Everyone "knew" Gaudreau wanted to be closer to family but yet he:

Engaged in extension talks last summer

Publicly declared multiple times he wanted to stay

Never asked to be traded

Engaged in a long term deal this summer

Reached a verbal deal with the Flames prior to FA this year

Yes there was always a risk the pull out East would win out but at the same time acknowledge that there were plenty of signs that he wanted to stay too and if I were the Flames I totally get it. Yes they gambled, yes the took a risk and yes at the end of the day it didn't work out but I don't think we should pretend to act like they were fighting a losing battle all along. 

That is the more frustrating part.  I don't hold a grudge to the player.

The owners and BT got frustrated with the end of the process.

But it was their gamble to somehow save money.

That's the part I don't get.

Let's say they offered something as high as $8M last summer and it was rejected.

How does a guy in his contract year put up as bad numbers?

He saw his game start to turn around with Tkachuk and Sutter behind the wheel.

He knew he would have better leverage if he waited.

Maybe calling for BT's head is extreme.

He would have had to get ownership approval to max out an offer last summer.

Or at least I think he would have had to.