Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

Pretty interesting read in the Athletic yesterday with some quotes from Gaudreau. Nothing earth shattering but what I found most interesting was the quote from Jarmo. 

"Like, are you serious about this"

Even he was surprised haha. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty interesting read in the Athletic yesterday with some quotes from Gaudreau. Nothing earth shattering but what I found most interesting was the quote from Jarmo. 

"Like, are you serious about this"

Even he was surprised haha. 

I haven’t read the article but have seen quotes. It sure sounds like Gaudreau’s camp are the ones that reached out to Columbus with their interest to go there.

My deep state conspiracy theory is that the NHL planned all of this and wanted to revitalize the Columbus market and made it worth it to Gaudreau to choose Columbus as his destination.

With advertising and gambling money on the line I really wonder how much sway Bettman has in these types of decisions.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I haven’t read the article but have seen quotes. It sure sounds like Gaudreau’s camp are the ones that reached out to Columbus with their interest to go there.

My deep state conspiracy theory is that the NHL planned all of this and wanted to revitalize the Columbus market and made it worth it to Gaudreau to choose Columbus as his destination.

With advertising and gambling money on the line I really wonder how much sway Bettman has in these types of decisions.

I would doubt any, people give that guy too much credit.  I think sometimes we discredit how much some of these guys enjoy going out and living lives.  He signed up to play hockey, he doesn't need to converse with strangers while out for dinner or take selfies while grocery shopping.  Not saying it won't happen in Columbus, but its been something he noted on Spittin Chiclets a few years back as something he didn't like about playing here, and greater chances of that being an issue here than there.

1 hour ago, crazyflames said:

Johnny explain his reason to CBJ, because they have great Fan base.  Wow, he just told us that we sucks here. Lol.  Maybe lot of other flames players feel the same way as Johnny hockey…. But how?  Lol

Nah, that's just fluff-talk.  Every player says that.  It means nothing.  CBJ likely wasn't even his first choice.

Maybe he saw Gudbranson go to CBJ that morning so he decided to call Jarmo and wanted to go there too.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

You are all pure gold, I don't know how you do it lol.

This thread be like,

"Johny's gonna stay, don't be a fear monger"

then
"Johnny made a familly decision, can't blame him for that, of course he wants to be in Philly.  Happy wife happy life"

then

"It is absolutely unacceptable to criticise Johnny, this is nothing personal, it's a familly decision"

then

"Oh...good luck in Ohio Johnny! All the best to you!"

Lol you are all made of pure gold, I don't know how you do it.

If I wanted Johnny to stay, I'd personally be pretty choked.   But, with the salary being offered to him I think this may be the best.   And if I were to guess at an explanation for what happened, I would guess...money.

I'm not so sure Philly wanted Gaudreau as badly as Gaudreau wanted Philly.   A lot of teams, it think, that are serious about building a playoff contender, are not going to put out that kind of money for Gaudreau with the...uncertainty, to say the least, of what he might contribute in a Stanley cup final.

But why not Calgary then?   Actually I really don't get that.   One theory I have is that Sutter made Gaudreau perform even when things got physical.   And that was actually an issue for him.  He's not going to have that issue in Columbus.

At the end of the day, I think him leaving was the best thing for us given the amount of money we would be on the hook for.    Him leaving for nothing is another story.

I was promised Johnny was going to stay and there's no reason to be worried.

And it's understandable for a FA of his stature to test FA so sure, leave.  But he couldn't just leave.  He had to give us a middle finger on his way out the door.

Meh. I watched the press conference. Johnny’s always been a little shy of the spotlight, just like today. He’ll be less in the spotlight in a place like CBJ, we all know Philly couldn’t fit him into their cap, NYI and NJ are rivals of Philly so he probably would have a distaste for ever putting those jerseys on, his wife is pregnant, American, and they likely want their child(ren) to grow up in ‘Merica. The East coast allows him to play hockey at 7/8 EST which makes it easier on him and his family. Travel is better. And as far as I can tell, CBJ doesn’t have an equivalent tool in the media like Eric Francis, spinning narratives all the time. The deck was stacked.

What irked me somewhat during the conference was how he said he researched places he wanted to go and talked to different players “during the summer”. This quote tells me that all this investigation and talking to other players didn’t happen on the day free agency started. He was exploring other destinations throughout his “negotiations” with the flames. If anything, Johnny is pretty honest, and I think he let a detail slip there that’s pretty sad to hear, as it strung us along until the final minute. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

100% 

make no mistake how much pull the wife has, plus she’s pregnant. Try arguing with that 😂

There is the usual stuff going around, like his wife not happy with the late night parties with teammates.  Even Mony's wedding may have been something that irked her.  You really don't know, and no you don't argue with her.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Is Johnny gonna get booed when he returns to the Dome? I think so 

I don't think it will be Tavares bad, no pajama pics.  I think that by January people could be past it, teams performance or how he is doing for Columbus could impact.  Personally it may be the first time since I've had my seats that there is any reason to be excited about Columbus on a Monday in January.  It'll really be hard to say how the reaction will be, right now I'd say mixed.

Just now, sak22 said:

I don't think it will be Tavares bad, no pajama pics.  I think that by January people could be past it, teams performance or how he is doing for Columbus could impact.  Personally it may be the first time since I've had my seats that there is any reason to be excited about Columbus on a Monday in January.  It'll really be hard to say how the reaction will be, right now I'd say mixed.

I definitely don’t think it’s gonna be Tavares level.

I think he will, I think this fan base has a long memory.

I mean, Ryan Suter still hears it every time he plays in Nashville 

We’ll there you have it. Johnny screwed us over and it sounds like it’s out of spite. The reasoning he’s provided for leaving doesn’t really up! Something definitely happened here in Calgary that irked him. Nobody leaves that much money in the table just because they think the other destination “has great fans” is BS..even the Columbus GM asked if he was serious about coming there proves CLB wasn’t Johnnys primary choice destination. He was never gonna sign here and played the Flames out of spite. No idea what it could have been. Apparently we suck as fans? Honestly this doesn’t make sense and starting to look like he was trying to get back at the Flames organization…or is it disorganization now??

16 minutes ago, rickross said:

We’ll there you have it. Johnny screwed us over and it sounds like it’s out of spite. The reasoning he’s provided for leaving doesn’t really up! Something definitely happened here in Calgary that irked him. Nobody leaves that much money in the table just because they think the other destination “has great fans” is BS..even the Columbus GM asked if he was serious about coming there proves CLB wasn’t Johnnys primary choice destination. He was never gonna sign here and played the Flames out of spite. No idea what it could have been. Apparently we suck as fans? Honestly this doesn’t make sense and starting to look like he was trying to get back at the Flames organization…or is it disorganization now??

See I watched the press confernace, he seemed excited to be in CLB, what did stand out for me was he did not mention the class act the organization/ owners/players werer. The only player he gave praise to was Guddy good guy good team mate. " CGY is a special place for me, the fans treated me well".... Not once did he thank his team mates, or the organization/owners for what they provided him....Read into it what you will, this speaks volumes. Most pro atheletes the first thing that they say " Would like to thank my former team mates, the owners and organization for their support it was awesome. Appreciate evrything they did for me and my family was an extremley gut wrenching decision" We get yeah wife and I decided we need a change. 

16 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

See I watched the press confernace, he seemed excited to be in CLB, what did stand out for me was he did not mention the class act the organization/ owners/players werer. The only player he gave praise to was Guddy good guy good team mate. " CGY is a special place for me, the fans treated me well".... Not once did he thank his team mates, or the organization/owners for what they provided him....Read into it what you will, this speaks volumes. Most pro atheletes the first thing that they say " Would like to thank my former team mates, the owners and organization for their support it was awesome. Appreciate evrything they did for me and my family was an extremley gut wrenching decision" We get yeah wife and I decided we need a change. 

Yup.  IMHO, and purely speculating, Sutter made him perform and show up, even in physical games.

He won't have that issue with CLB.

I'm actually not sorry he left, just sorry BT gave him away for free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Meh. I watched the press conference. Johnny’s always been a little shy of the spotlight, just like today. He’ll be less in the spotlight in a place like CBJ, we all know Philly couldn’t fit him into their cap, NYI and NJ are rivals of Philly so he probably would have a distaste for ever putting those jerseys on, his wife is pregnant, American, and they likely want their child(ren) to grow up in ‘Merica. The East coast allows him to play hockey at 7/8 EST which makes it easier on him and his family. Travel is better. And as far as I can tell, CBJ doesn’t have an equivalent tool in the media like Eric Francis, spinning narratives all the time. The deck was stacked.

What irked me somewhat during the conference was how he said he researched places he wanted to go and talked to different players “during the summer”. This quote tells me that all this investigation and talking to other players didn’t happen on the day free agency started. He was exploring other destinations throughout his “negotiations” with the flames. If anything, Johnny is pretty honest, and I think he let a detail slip there that’s pretty sad to hear, as it strung us along until the final minute. 

I just watched it as well.

I mean, he has no clue about CBJ.  He said things like he's never been to CBJ, just heard great things about the city from other players.  He's only been between the rink and the hotel.  Stuff like that.  Despite what he said about CBJ, he just doesn't know.  Therefore, it cannot possibly have been his first choice.  No way.  It was a backup plan in case PHI failed to happen.

In the end, what I got out of his press conference was that he wanted to be "anywhere but Calgary" and could probably extend to "anywhere but Canada".  Like, he said he is "an East Coast boy"... Yet, Columbus is not on the coast... he messed up several times making up casual answers and had to take a journey to correct himself a bit.  Clearly trying to say the right things but in the end, I think he cannot hide the truth that he didn't want Calgary and wanted PHI and when PHI didn't want him, then he called up CBJ as a backup plan.

Whatever.  It's kind of justice served to see that he didn't get to go where he wanted to.  So with that said, I wish him the best and I wish us the best too.  Things didn't end the way we wanted to but I sincerely believe he gave it his best while he was here so we just have to go on that and move on.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I just watched it as well.

I mean, he has no clue about CBJ.  He said things like he's never been to CBJ, just heard great things about the city from other players.  He's only been between the rink and the hotel.  Stuff like that.  Despite what he said about CBJ, he just doesn't know.  Therefore, it cannot possibly have been his first choice.  No way.  It was a backup plan in case PHI failed to happen.

In the end, what I got out of his press conference was that he wanted to be "anywhere but Calgary" and could probably extend to "anywhere but Canada".  Like, he said he is "an East Coast boy"... Yet, Columbus is not on the coast... he messed up several times making up casual answers and had to take a journey to correct himself a bit.  Clearly trying to say the right things but in the end, I think he cannot hide the truth that he didn't want Calgary and wanted PHI and when PHI didn't want him, then he called up CBJ as a backup plan.

Whatever.  It's kind of justice served to see that he didn't get to go where he wanted to.  So with that said, I wish him the best and I wish us the best too.  Things didn't end the way we wanted to but I sincerely believe he gave it his best while he was here so we just have to go on that and move on.

I think the ABC meant to him anywhere but Canada.  You can see where we are headed.