Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

Its Called consiren and you know me by now I am a glass empty kinda guy I live with the worse case scenario same with my worry about NCAA players I don't trust PPL when it comes to money and what they desire. That's just me thank God I'm always wrong ;)

1 hour ago, zima said:

Its Called consiren and you know me by now I am a glass empty kinda guy I live with the worse case scenario same with my worry about NCAA players I don't trust PPL when it comes to money and what they desire. That's just me thank God I'm always wrong ;)

It's always going to be a concern to some until he signs.

I think it just comes down to what works for both the team and the player.

Well I just hope he is truthful when he says he loves Calgary and would like to stay if he doesn't it will set us back big time we can't afford to lose him and I know we can afford to keep him. Plus Loooch's contract will drop I believe I read and funny thing is I hope he resigns he turned out to be a gift me thinks.

Then we have to sign MrT and with the kids that have shown they are close to NHL ready it could be fun to watch them fight for a spot next yr .

15 hours ago, zima said:

Like I posted elsewhere..I have confidence he'll sign. BT knows exactly where this stands , if there was a case of him being gone to go home he'd have been gone already 

I got from a family member .. Johnny wants to be paid fairly yes, but he wants to win and he does love Calgary. His own family member believes he'll be in Calgary next year 

NJ and Philly May or may not be able to pay him more ..but their windows to win are behind ours .. he'll take winning over money .

Only way I see him leaving is if we seriously low ball him. And I don't see that happening 

Interesting to point out that NJ actually has less cap space than the flames for next year with some key players to sign. Now they don’t have a Tkachuk to worry about but I don’t think they can throw whatever it takes at Gaudreau. 

im still of the belief he stays because I do think the Flames can, and very likely will, offer him the most total dollars. Other teams can give him a better AAV but with the flames having the 8 year option I think they hold the advantage in terms of total dollars. 

really the only reason for Gaudreau to leave is he wants to play out east. The teams that can sign him I don’t think are as good as Calgary and they can’t pay him more money so it really is just the pull to play out east. Im not sure that pill is as strong as we think for Gaudreau. You could make a case New Jersey has a better long term future than Calgary but I’m not sure I’d agree. That d core is still a work in progress, I’m not sure they have a goalie and I don’t think Ruff is that good a coach. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Interesting to point out that NJ actually has less cap space than the flames for next year with some key players to sign. Now they don’t have a Tkachuk to worry about but I don’t think they can throw whatever it takes at Gaudreau. 

im still of the belief he stays because I do think the Flames can, and very likely will, offer him the most total dollars. Other teams can give him a better AAV but with the flames having the 8 year option I think they hold the advantage in terms of total dollars. 

really the only reason for Gaudreau to leave is he wants to play out east. The teams that can sign him I don’t think are as good as Calgary and they can’t pay him more money so it really is just the pull to play out east. Im not sure that pill is as strong as we think for Gaudreau. You could make a case New Jersey has a better long term future than Calgary but I’m not sure I’d agree. That d core is still a work in progress, I’m not sure they have a goalie and I don’t think Ruff is that good a coach. 

Ya it's interesting that at the beginning of the season, we were thinking $9-mil long term should do it.  Many teams could do it.  There would be many offers.  But after a season like he just had, suddenly he's looking at Panarin-money and he's eliminated many teams out East who could make that offer.  NJ can do it but then they need to do some roster surgery.  They all would.

He sure talks like he wants to stay here.

That is up to BT to make it work.

You can't just say, oh we only have $x.xx.

As long as you are into 8 figure, it should just come down to term.

Buy the extra year and lower the cap marginally.

While Panarin is a good comp, he was a UFA.

If it's a team he wants to play for, you don't need to outbid everyone.

I'm of the belief that he signs soon and it's around 10.6

I believe that he wants to stay. He's expressed it publicly multiple times. 

If he stays in Calgary, nobody will ever wear 13 again. Health permitting, he would have a great shot at becoming the franchise point-scoring leader and firmly cement himself on the Mt Rushmore of Flames greats.

19 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I believe that he wants to stay. He's expressed it publicly multiple times. 

If he stays in Calgary, nobody will ever wear 13 again. Health permitting, he would have a great shot at becoming the franchise point-scoring leader and firmly cement himself on the Mt Rushmore of Flames greats.

It just comes down to BT making the right offer.  Going in low is just going to PO the agent.  Go in close to the max you can pay and go from there.  Overpay if that's what it takes.  You can't replace the player.  We may not put together as good a team as a result, but you can be a lot worse without him.  Get it done.  Player wants to play here.  Sign him and worry about Kylington later.  Worry about the D with all the biggest names taken care of.

It's going to be tight, but there are options.  Tanev may miss the start of the season, so the cap has to be close.  Monahan and Lucic are big factors.  Get Bread signed.  FInd out what Guddy and Zaddy want.  We need at least one.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It just comes down to BT making the right offer.  Going in low is just going to PO the agent.  Go in close to the max you can pay and go from there.  Overpay if that's what it takes.  You can't replace the player.  We may not put together as good a team as a result, but you can be a lot worse without him.  Get it done.  Player wants to play here.  Sign him and worry about Kylington later.  Worry about the D with all the biggest names taken care of.

It's going to be tight, but there are options.  Tanev may miss the start of the season, so the cap has to be close.  Monahan and Lucic are big factors.  Get Bread signed.  FInd out what Guddy and Zaddy want.  We need at least one.  

Are we that different from other teams with big names on the roster?  Edmonton has 2 players pulling big money, and they seemed to manage.  Toronto even more so.  Am I missing something in the cap translation?  Pens had Crosby And Malkin, so you can’t tell me that Malkin took a huge discount to sign Crosby, or vice/ versa.  That’s not including the top level goaltender, etc.

The one thing I’m confident of is BT has consistently negotiated fair minded contracts that supported both the player and the team.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

Are we that different from other teams with big names on the roster?  Edmonton has 2 players pulling big money, and they seemed to manage.  Toronto even more so.  Am I missing something in the cap translation?  Pens had Crosby And Malkin, so you can’t tell me that Malkin took a huge discount to sign Crosby, or vice/ versa.  That’s not including the top level goaltender, etc.

The one thing I’m confident of is BT has consistently negotiated fair minded contracts that supported both the player and the team.

Crosby and Draisaitl are worth more than the 8.7 and 8.5 of their respective cap hits.

Oilers lucked out with the timing on Drai and Pittsburgh lucked out with Sid being so superstitious.

As for Toronto, they have 3 guys over 10M and have yet to win a playoff round.

15 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Crosby and Draisaitl are worth more than the 8.7 and 8.5 of their respective cap hits.

Oilers lucked out with the timing on Drai and Pittsburgh lucked out with Sid being so superstitious.

As for Toronto, they have 3 guys over 10M and have yet to win a playoff round.

Crosby was in the 12 year deal era.  Signed so long ago.

$12M in year 1, $3M in year 12; can't do anything close to that range now.

Malkin's deal came in after they outlawed that.

Draisaitl without McD is just a really good C.

I don't care how much he doesn't play with McD, he plays all his PP time there.

17 hours ago, flames for life said:

Oilers managed because they only had 3 players making >= $6M.

They were able to sign Hyman because Klefbom was out.

I get the cap compliant part, but they really only have 4F and 1D that did anything for them.

Then they managed to get Kane for part of a year.

• 1 month later...

It is getting close to the deadline, so what is holding Johnny from signing here? At what date, should the Flames be shopping for trading his rights to an Eastern teams? The longer we wait, the his trade value would've diminish.

5 minutes ago, DHT said:

It is getting close to the deadline, so what is holding Johnny from signing here? At what date, should the Flames be shopping for trading his rights to an Eastern teams? The longer we wait, the his trade value would've diminish.

What is the benefit to a team trading for his rights?  An extra week to try to get a deal signed?  They can essentially make the same pitch to him as a UFA.  Essentially.  They can't make a trade conditional on his signing there.  

His trade value is already gone so whether he decides to leave now or the day before FA is pretty irrelevant. There is minimal value in acquiring Gaudreau's rights for the team that wants him and I don't see how the price would change today vs closer to FA. I get the angst around "will he or won't he" but I don't get the angst around trading his rights. 

It's a big decision and he's got time to make it so what's his rush in signing?

I agree, I think with a guy like Gaudreau you give him all the time he needs, and don't take yourself out of the negotiations till he tells you, you are out. Even if we got a 2nd round pick for his rights, which I think is unlikely, I think you have to do everything in your power to bring him back.

We are probably a playoff team still without him, especially if we used the extra cap correctly, but we wouldn't be contenders. Just being a playoff team isn't good enough. 

Calgary still has the upper hand. If some other club wishes to obatin him it would be an offer 10.8 for 7 and the Flames could bump it to 9.7 for 8 Million if required., i believe they max out at 10 Million for 8.  I don't buy into the BS its a big decision, he and the agent are testing the market. As much as it sucks he does have the right to get paid. July 13th we will know the answer. If no club comes in over 11.4 he will be a Flame once again as the Flames can match or beat a monetary offer. If and its a big IF, He wants to be near Mommy and Daddy, he will leave money on the table. Money wins out 99% of the time.

Look at John Tavares, he pretended that he wanted to play with Islanders but deep down he always wanted to play for Toronto. I think Johnny is in a similar dilemma. Deep down, Johnny wants to be in the East and probably wants to play for the Devils, Flyers or Bruins.

29 minutes ago, DHT said:

Look at John Tavares, he pretended that he wanted to play with Islanders but deep down he always wanted to play for Toronto. I think Johnny is in a similar dilemma. Deep down, Johnny wants to be in the East and probably wants to play for the Devils, Flyers or Bruins.

Well its almost a reversal.  The Islanders were a team that couldn't consistently make the playoffs, Tavares went to the Leafs who were improving every year and also a team that didn't need to rely on him.  Johnny people are expecting will leave a team that has been more consistent at making the playoffs to team like the Devils who have missed the playoffs 9 of the last 10 years, or the Flyers who are struggling making the playoffs consistently.  The Bruins need to make moves to even entertain the possibility.   

30 minutes ago, DHT said:

But what changes for the Flames if that is the case? 

I think what gets lost a bit in the Tavares thing is the Leafs also probably had the better pitch. Islanders weren't have success and had turned over their management team. Leafs were stable, up and coming talent and gave him a top of the market offer. 

Yes I understand the Islanders had the beter success but Leafs are also one of the best team in the league and look to be that way for the next several season while Islanders have a rookie head coach and are pretty quickly aging out. It's not hard to see the Leafs having the better pitch. 

34 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Calgary still has the upper hand. If some other club wishes to obatin him it would be an offer 10.8 for 7 and the Flames could bump it to 9.7 for 8 Million if required., i believe they max out at 10 Million for 8.  I don't buy into the BS its a big decision, he and the agent are testing the market. As much as it sucks he does have the right to get paid. July 13th we will know the answer. If no club comes in over 11.4 he will be a Flame once again as the Flames can match or beat a monetary offer. If and its a big IF, He wants to be near Mommy and Daddy, he will leave money on the table. Money wins out 99% of the time.

The 8th year is the draw now, bit for the team (lower AAV) and the player (retirement package).  Come FA, we will have to pay the same as the other teams bidding on him.  I think we would prefer to pay 10x8 now than 11.5 x 7 on the 14th.  Sometimes you have to bite the bullet.  Offer him 11x8 on the 12th.  Nobody comes close to that.  He gets an extra $500k offer from us on the 14th, but a year less.

29 minutes ago, DHT said:

TOR was able to offer a contending team and outbid everyone.  He knew they would, from the pre-UFA discussions.  None of those teams mentioned can offer big $$ plus are that close to contender status.  BOS is fading.  Philly is  ways off and Debbies are not close.  

Is Johnny worth 11.5x7 or ? There seems to be a pattern in the NHL that on their last year before contract renew, they play like there is no tomorrow so that they will cash in for retirement. I like Johnny but I'm not sure he is worth that.