Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I've said before, if the Flames lose Gaudreau this summer then forget about the playoffs next season.  We can expect Tkachuk and Lindholm to revert back to 65-point players.  We won't have a #1 line which carried the Flames offense for so much of the season.  He's that MVP to the Flames.

One can easily argue he is Hart worthy as any of the finalists.

Let me put it another way....

If Johnny was not on the team, would you have the crowd even show up an buzz when he has the puck?

Most of the offense begins on his stick.

The 9 shutouts that Marky put up cover for the two way play he was a big part of.

The Oilers without McD would be the most boring and awful team to even watch.

Their goto move is give it to 97, and that's really all there is.

Draisaitl is like Jumbo Joe, slow and plodding with a great shot.

Leafs without Matthews, hard to say.  Still have talent that they could use.

Just not a 60 goal guy.

Rags are a team that is a season away from being a good team, even without Shesty.

By strict definition, you could have picked any three out of that bunch and made a good case for it.

Don't worry about it.  Make the case for the Conn Smythe by being the best player in the finals.

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I've said before, if the Flames lose Gaudreau this summer then forget about the playoffs next season.  We can expect Tkachuk and Lindholm to revert back to 65-point players.  We won't have a #1 line which carried the Flames offense for so much of the season.  He's that MVP to the Flames.

That's all that matters. NHL awards are just window dressing.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, conundrumed said:

That's all that matters. NHL awards are just window dressing.

And individual awards mean nothing.

Team awards like the cup and the Smythe are the ones that matter.

One thing I think we have seen though is that Gaudreau has silenced the haters.

Can't score in the playoffs.

Can't play the big games.

Shies away from the contact.

Won't go to the net. 

I can't recall another player , 9 yrs in the league so completely take himself to another level.

I was the leader of the "Johnny is gone " Brigade. 

He's too soft ..too easily shut down , can't handle playoff hockey , one dimensional .. etc .. definitely not worth what some team will overpay him at his age. 

He's an exciting star but not a superstar 

I , like many were Totally wrong

kudos to Sutter , and to him for how he's reinvented himself .

He plays physical. He shoots more , he totally drives play and makes the rest better 

I would happily slap a C on him now 

Haven't seen him whine or sulk to the refs all year 

You can say his name in the same conversation as McKinnon, McDavid , Matthews .. now he's very easily starting to remind me of St Louis 

I'd argue he's no longer a 9 year vet who's plateaued , he's very realistically entering his prime years 

They give him a 12x8 right now id be hard pressed to find fault with it 

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I can't recall another player , 9 yrs in the league so completely take himself to another level.

I was the leader of the "Johnny is gone " Brigade. 

He's too soft ..too easily shut down , can't handle playoff hockey , one dimensional .. etc .. definitely not worth what some team will overpay him at his age. 

He's an exciting star but not a superstar 

I , like many were Totally wrong

kudos to Sutter , and to him for how he's reinvented himself .

He plays physical. He shoots more , he totally drives play and makes the rest better 

I would happily slap a C on him now 

Haven't seen him whine or sulk to the refs all year 

You can say his name in the same conversation as McKinnon, McDavid , Matthews .. now he's very easily starting to remind me of St Louis 

I'd argue he's no longer a 9 year vet who's plateaued , he's very realistically entering his prime years 

They give him a 12x8 right now id be hard pressed to find fault with it 

He also has better linemates now than ever before.  I was skeptical of top loading and thought spreading the offense around would be better but no.  Sutter found enough depth scoring to keep those three together.  I was also critical of Lindholm at Center last season but we went through the growing pains with him and now Lindholm is a top 10 Center in the NHL.

Monahan was a great player but he's sadly broken.  It took a coach as respected as Sutter to convince them that Monahan should play 4th line and kept the locker room happy about it.

I would also be willing to pay Gaudreau but only if we bring back Tkachuk and keep that line together.  It's become one of the best and most complete lines in franchise history.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He also has better linemates now than ever before.  I was skeptical of top loading and thought spreading the offense around would be better but no.  Sutter found enough depth scoring to keep those three together.  I was also critical of Lindholm at Center last season but we went through the growing pains with him and now Lindholm is a top 10 Center in the NHL.

Monahan was a great player but he's sadly broken.  It took a coach as respected as Sutter to convince them that Monahan should play 4th line and kept the locker room happy about it.

I would also be willing to pay Gaudreau but only if we bring back Tkachuk and keep that line together.  It's become one of the best and most complete lines in franchise history.

Absolutely..his linemates have added a great deal to his totals and success.. but the biggest thing for me is his style of play has changed .

Maybe previous coaches sheltered him from that side of it , possible .. but he's doing things now he never did ..and it shows 

And ya ..I think we lock them both down .. we have to ..they both answered the bell .. chuckys gonna have to pick it up more tho.. game 7 was a great start 

I think it's pretty fair to say that Johnny has had one linemate that has been consistent in the last number of years.  Lindholm.  He's played off and on with Tkachuk.  Matty has helped Johnny increase his points total, but Johnny could set up Ritchie for a tap in.  It's best to keep the three together.  We need a dominant line to compete.  Pay them and get ready to pay Lindholm.

Gaudreau has looked different this playoffs.  There's always been some part of the team that has held us back in the playoffs.  JH gets frustrated when there is something cancelling anything we do otherwise.  Since there was nothing in the way, other than a killer goalie on the other team, JH has turned into a driven player.  Has one goal.  Get the puck in the net any way he can.  Make the other team take a penalty.  Get them watching, while the other guys sneak in.  Who would have be thinking about covering Stone on a breakaway?  Total shell game.

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Absolutely..his linemates have added a great deal to his totals and success.. but the biggest thing for me is his style of play has changed .

Maybe previous coaches sheltered him from that side of it , possible .. but he's doing things now he never did ..and it shows 

And ya ..I think we lock them both down .. we have to ..they both answered the bell .. chuckys gonna have to pick it up more tho.. game 7 was a great start 

It's the little things but I think having Lucic, Ritchie, Gudbranson, and Zadorov has helped bring down all the slashings he took to his hands.  Not many teams slash him anymore.  Gaudreau has been allowed to weave around relatively safely.  He's more aggressive now than ever before.  Like on the OT winning goal, he had 3 Stars players around him but he's still creating/finding space.

One worry I have is we sign Gaudreau to big money and then have to say goodbye to all four of those big guys because they are luxuries we can no longer afford.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

It's the little things but I think having Lucic, Ritchie, Gudbranson, and Zadorov has helped bring down all the slashings he took to his hands.  Not many teams slash him anymore.  Gaudreau has been allowed to weave around relatively safely.  He's more aggressive now than ever before.  Like on the OT winning goal, he had 3 Stars players around him but he's still creating/finding space.

One worry I have is we sign Gaudreau to big money and then have to say goodbye to all four of those big guys because they are luxuries we can no longer afford.

TBH, Monahan is likely on his way out with little coming back.

It does allow us to keep Lucic for one for year.

Guddy depends on asking price.

He's re-invented himself and I think he's found a home.

Zaddy will be tough to replace, but you can't pay top 4 for a bottom pair guy.

He's done well in a limited, sheltered role.

Pair him with a puck mover and I think the pair is only missing some toughness but has better escape.

Ritchie is not going to break the bank.

Waive him if necessary if you have a better player up and need cap.

Low risk.

The only real luxury is Lucic.  If you have to trade him, you bring in a guy just as tough, but making 4th line money.  Maybe a bit presumptious, but maybe Kapka is that guy in waiting.  

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

TBH, Monahan is likely on his way out with little coming back.

It does allow us to keep Lucic for one for year.

Guddy depends on asking price.

He's re-invented himself and I think he's found a home.

Zaddy will be tough to replace, but you can't pay top 4 for a bottom pair guy.

He's done well in a limited, sheltered role.

Pair him with a puck mover and I think the pair is only missing some toughness but has better escape.

Ritchie is not going to break the bank.

Waive him if necessary if you have a better player up and need cap.

Low risk.

The only real luxury is Lucic.  If you have to trade him, you bring in a guy just as tough, but making 4th line money.  Maybe a bit presumptious, but maybe Kapka is that guy in waiting.  

I saw a blurb about the signing but didnt pay much attention to it. But since you brought it up......JC thats a big unit.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I saw a blurb about the signing but didnt pay much attention to it. But since you brought it up......JC thats a big unit.

He's massive.

Has a couple of fights in the U.

Maybe another Hunter Smith, but could be closer to a real NHL player.

Dunno.

Flames don't waste time on NHL deals for nobodies.  At least not anymore.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I got a real strong feeling that if we can make this run deep .. Lucic is likely to retire.  He's near the end , going out on top could be an attractive thing .. he almost did once . i never saw him getting another contract after this one, it drives him right to his retirement 

That would be a major problem solver ..

20 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I got a real strong feeling that if we can make this run deep .. Lucic is likely to retire.  He's near the end , going out on top could be an attractive thing .. he almost did once . i never saw him getting another contract after this one, it drives him right to his retirement 

That would be a major problem solver ..

Hard to see him walking away from an extra 4 million, I know I wouldn't.

Could be wrong but I don't see it either. Lucic has carved out a role here, he's got a fan following, friends on the team and he genuinely looks like he is enjoying the heck out of this. Family has embraced living here too. 

I'll be shocked if he retires. 

• Like 1

I read that most guys that are ready to retire but still have contract earnings available, simply go on LTIR for their final year. This way they still get paid, and the team gets the cap relief. It sounds too easy and maybe cap circumvention, but the article I read seemed to imply that this has happened more than people realize 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Could be wrong but I don't see it either. Lucic has carved out a role here, he's got a fan following, friends on the team and he genuinely looks like he is enjoying the heck out of this. Family has embraced living here too. 

I'll be shocked if he retires. 

He seems to actually enjoy the game again.

Unless he feels he can't compete, why would he walk away?

27 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I read that most guys that are ready to retire but still have contract earnings available, simply go on LTIR for their final year. This way they still get paid, and the team gets the cap relief. It sounds too easy and maybe cap circumvention, but the article I read seemed to imply that this has happened more than people realize 🤷‍♂️

In order for that to happen though there needs to be an injury as anyone on LTIR is subject to a medication examination. In almost all of those cases the player typically has a recent or long term injury that isn't the case with Lucic. 

Flames would have a real hard time with that one I think. 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In order for that to happen though there needs to be an injury as anyone on LTIR is subject to a medication examination. In almost all of those cases the player typically has a recent or long term injury that isn't the case with Lucic. 

Flames would have a real hard time with that one I think. 

Monahan comes to mind as a player dealing with two successive LTI's, but he's not that old and could still have a long career.  I doubt he would give up on hockey unless it was a health risk.

I don't think Lucic retires, but I do think the Flames have to explore moving him, if they are able to keep Gaudreau.

I look at Anaheim. We all know what happened to Troy Terry, I think the Ducks will be adding a little muscle. I believe Lucic still has a home in SoCal. The Ducks have a bunch of cap space, so one year of Lucic could work.

It's a matter of if Anaheim would rather pay Lucic 5.2x1 or circle back on Deslauriers for 2-3 on a 3-4yr term.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think Lucic retires, but I do think the Flames have to explore moving him, if they are able to keep Gaudreau.

I look at Anaheim. We all know what happened to Troy Terry, I think the Ducks will be adding a little muscle. I believe Lucic still has a home in SoCal. The Ducks have a bunch of cap space, so one year of Lucic could work.

It's a matter of if Anaheim would rather pay Lucic 5.2x1 or circle back on Deslauriers for 2-3 on a 3-4yr term.

As far as Lucic's contract goes, his signing bonus is paid this summer.

That leaves only $1M in actual salary remaining.

When Lucic ws traded to us, it was after his SN was paid.

Only his cap remains high.

• 2 weeks later...

So does JH stay or does he move on this is a guessing game I know I sure hope he stays or we will be looking at another 7 yrs of missing the playoffs Losing in 4 straight was a very disappointing end> I know they went five but they did lose 4 straight so sad. So who thinks JH stays ? 

3 minutes ago, zima said:

So does JH stay or does he move on this is a guessing game I know I sure hope he stays or we will be looking at another 7 yrs of missing the playoffs Losing in 4 straight was a very disappointing end> I know they went five but they did lose 4 straight so sad. So who thinks JH stays ? 

He signs, don't know why there is so much doubt.