Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

It's interesting to see how Gaudreau approaches breakaways now.  It seems like he's more doing it by instinct as opposed to thinking.  Either that or he's scouting the goalies in game and knows where their weakness is.  His go to move was always 5 hole, but now he seems to go to spots that the goalie may struggle.  A good goalie down low may leave the top corner free.

The magic for the top line comes from players driving the net when he has the puck.  Lindholm finding a quiet area.  Tkachuk powering towards the net.  Those primary assists are what, top in the league?  The fact that he's also finding areas to score from instead of just shooting top corner from the left circle in a low percentage shot is key.

The difficult teams to play limit the middle of the ice.  We aren't a great perimeter team.  Not many D take a bomb shot from the point, and it usually only works when there is a screen in place. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's interesting to see how Gaudreau approaches breakaways now.  It seems like he's more doing it by instinct as opposed to thinking.  Either that or he's scouting the goalies in game and knows where their weakness is.  His go to move was always 5 hole, but now he seems to go to spots that the goalie may struggle.  A good goalie down low may leave the top corner free.

The magic for the top line comes from players driving the net when he has the puck.  Lindholm finding a quiet area.  Tkachuk powering towards the net.  Those primary assists are what, top in the league?  The fact that he's also finding areas to score from instead of just shooting top corner from the left circle in a low percentage shot is key.

The difficult teams to play limit the middle of the ice.  We aren't a great perimeter team.  Not many D take a bomb shot from the point, and it usually only works when there is a screen in place. 

Agreed. It’s nice to see Johnny being more creative on his chances. Not only is he going bar down, but the behind the net wrap around move has also seen a cut back and tuck on the same side as well. Pre-scouting Johnny has become a nightmare for goalies because he’s scoring different ways. 

I also wanted to pickup on your bomb from the D point. The past couple of games, we’ve seen how a shoot first mentality from Stone has caused the opposition some nightmares and hesitation getting in his way. He’s potted a couple as well. What I’m getting at is that Andersson has a bomb of a shot as well, but you can see that he has a pass-first mentality. Worth noting is that Andersson is also taking some heat off of his shot when he does shoot, looking for the deflection. Watching him when he was playing in Barrie, I’d say he has close to what Stone has… I just haven’t seen him use it much since joining the flames. I hope Stone’s success with shooting encourages Andersson to grip it and rip it more often. 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Agreed. It’s nice to see Johnny being more creative on his chances. Not only is he going bar down, but the behind the net wrap around move has also seen a cut back and tuck on the same side as well. Pre-scouting Johnny has become a nightmare for goalies because he’s scoring different ways. 

I also wanted to pickup on your bomb from the D point. The past couple of games, we’ve seen how a shoot first mentality from Stone has caused the opposition some nightmares and hesitation getting in his way. He’s potted a couple as well. What I’m getting at is that Andersson has a bomb of a shot as well, but you can see that he has a pass-first mentality. Worth noting is that Andersson is also taking some heat off of his shot when he does shoot, looking for the deflection. Watching him when he was playing in Barrie, I’d say he has close to what Stone has… I just haven’t seen him use it much since joining the flames. I hope Stone’s success with shooting encourages Andersson to grip it and rip it more often. 

I think the only time he rips it is when he sneaks into the left circle for a one-timer.

He rarely does that from the point on the PP.

It's like he is guarding against the deflection off the defender.

Kylington and Guddy are the few (regulars) that will rip it from that spot.

We won't have Stone unless we are down a player, or Zaddy has PO'd Sutter.

When Gaudreau is behind the net, there is little chance of defending him.

He's super slippery, but also he only goes there when it's safe.

Anyway, hope he gets #100 on home ice, so he can move past it.

When he does, they will come easy for him, since it's a mental thing at times with him.

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

loved the Jane & Guy interview afterwards real life stuff none of the coached reponses byou get from players.

Loved Sutter's answer to reporters about Guy.  At first, Sutter thought the questions were about Johnny.  When they asked again, Sutter said "Mr. Gaudreau?".  Then went on to say he would love to have him coaching with him.  Said that he knew a lot about Guy, more than the reporter does.  Too funny.

Johnny, when asked about his dad's influence, always seems to give a genuine answer.  Said the similar backgrounds of his father and Sutter has been an easy fit for him as a player.  It all makes sense now.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Loved Sutter's answer to reporters about Guy.  At first, Sutter thought the questions were about Johnny.  When they asked again, Sutter said "Mr. Gaudreau?".  Then went on to say he would love to have him coaching with him.  Said that he knew a lot about Guy, more than the reporter does.  Too funny.

Johnny, when asked about his dad's influence, always seems to give a genuine answer.  Said the similar backgrounds of his father and Sutter has been an easy fit for him as a player.  It all makes sense now.

gotta think the thing that make them successful are the work ethics they learned from the farm. Sutter is a straight shooter mostly, and it’s mostly black and white, like you feed the animals and plant the seeds, or do the work and the results are there. 

Must be the same with Johnny’s dad.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

gotta think the thing that make them successful are the work ethics they learned from the farm. Sutter is a straight shooter mostly, and it’s mostly black and white, like you feed the animals and plant the seeds, or do the work and the results are there. 

Must be the same with Johnny’s dad.

Johnny's dad was very critical of his play when he was the coach.  Always looking at areas that he could improve upon.  Typical dad coach that probably is harder on his kid than others.  Not really a bad thing in this case.  But, yes the farm life probably imparted the work ethic.  Passed it onto Johnny.  I don't think Sutter ever had a problem with Johnny's play, other than not trying 100% when things weren't going right.  He's matured.  Understands the little things you can do that change the game.  A stick here or there and you break up the cycle.

I was laughing when they asked Sutter and he talked about having conversations with Guy.  One coach to another.  Not a dad calling about his kid.  Similar coaching strategy.  Loves having him in Calgary.

• 2 weeks later...

Game number 600 for Johnny tonight.

Congrats on proving the doubter wrong.

Vast improvement over game 499.

Wonder if they ask Sutter about that today?

Naw, the reporters are afraid of Sutter.

He speaks the truth and has no problem insulting a reporter for a dumb question.

And he also remembers the guys that suggested this team had no chance.

Or that player X was going to suffer under the systems.

12 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Sounds to me like he's due. :ph34r:

McD went supernova in the last week, Matthews got to 60, and Johnny 113.  Matthews is getting the Hart, McD will go 2nd, but it's really not looking at all categories.  Goals, total points is all.  Matthews is close to Gaudreau in points and EV points, but Johnny leads those two plus +/-.  That without the large number of PP goals or PP points.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dube is on fire now.  Right when Mangiapane and Toffoli goes cold.  Hope he can keep it going in the playoffs.

sane! 

id like to see Toffoli get going. Mangiapane doesn’t look like the same player as he did before he got cold. 

there’s a bit of an odd mix between Mangiapane and Toffoli. I don’t know if their mates are right. 

who was Mangiapane playing with most during his first half?

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

sane! 

id like to see Toffoli get going. Mangiapane doesn’t look like the same player as he did before he got cold. 

there’s a bit of an odd mix between Mangiapane and Toffoli. I don’t know if their mates are right. 

who was Mangiapane playing with most during his first half?

Ya Mange looks hurt or something.  He's not as physically aggressive now than he was early in the season.  He's shooting from the perimeter now.

And he's not a good mix for Toffoli.  Both guys are shoot first players and Backlund has tunnel vision.  That line doesn't have potential.  Our middle-six lacks play makers and passers.

Rucizka is our best option I think but Sutter doesn't want to play him for some reason.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Mange looks hurt or something.  He's not as physically aggressive now than he was early in the season.  He's shooting from the perimeter now.

And he's not a good mix for Toffoli.  Both guys are shoot first players and Backlund has tunnel vision.  That line doesn't have potential.  Our middle-six lacks play makers and passers.

Rucizka is our best option I think but Sutter doesn't want to play him for some reason.

Well, you want to give some time for a line to find it's mojo.

I think Backlund looked best with Coleman and Dube, but that was some time ago.

Backlund has looked bad in recent weeks, IMHO.

Mangiapane with Backlund only works with Tkachuk.

I would prefer they swap Jarnkrok with Backlund at the very least.

At least Jarny is winning 50%+ draws every game, so they start with the puck.

And Jarny is more of a passer.

Ruzicka would be best used if Backlund was out.

His last few games there was some things Sutter didn't like.

Knows he can't really use him on a 4th line.

No vacancies in the middle 6.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

i find they both like to carry it a few strides before shooting or crashing the net with it.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Since this is about Gaudreau, I will force myself back on topic.

I don't have as much concern about Gaudreau being dynamic in the playoffs.

The line played like stars all season.

Not a lot of situations much different from their tough games.

Same same.  In the past, you shut down Monahan and take away Gaudreau's main target and Gaudreau has nowhere to go.  This time around, Tkachuk-Lindholm is too much to handle.  Even if they double team Gaudreau, Tkachuk-Lindholm can score by themselves.  

There are several dynamic duos in the NHL but the Flames have the best trio.  Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk is the best line in the NHL.

My concern remains depth scoring but Gaudreau is not something to worry about.

I have some concern about Gaudreau if we are  being honest, especially against Nashville. I don't agree that in the past you can blame this all on Monahan. I think the fact is, Gaudreau has traditionally not been very good in the playoffs because he has gotten really frustrated when the game closes up and the whistles go away. For me, that's been the biggest reason why he fades in the playoffs, he just has not adjusted well to the style of game you need to play. I thought he was good against Colorado and against Colorado I do feel his line mates let him down, but in the other series I think he had a lot to learn from. Nashville, if the play them, is going to lean hard on Gaudreau and be hard on them every chance they can get so I think the question about whether or not Gaudreau has learned or adjusted is a fair one to ask. 

I think it's fair to point out that he made many of those adjustments this year under Sutter. He complains less so he isn't thrown off he game as quickly as he use to be (magnified int he playoffs) and I do think he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm optimistic it won't be an issue but it's a question I have for sure. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I have some concern about Gaudreau if we are  being honest, especially against Nashville. I don't agree that in the past you can blame this all on Monahan. I think the fact is, Gaudreau has traditionally not been very good in the playoffs because he has gotten really frustrated when the game closes up and the whistles go away. For me, that's been the biggest reason why he fades in the playoffs, he just has not adjusted well to the style of game you need to play. I thought he was good against Colorado and against Colorado I do feel his line mates let him down, but in the other series I think he had a lot to learn from. Nashville, if the play them, is going to lean hard on Gaudreau and be hard on them every chance they can get so I think the question about whether or not Gaudreau has learned or adjusted is a fair one to ask. 

I think it's fair to point out that he made many of those adjustments this year under Sutter. He complains less so he isn't thrown off he game as quickly as he use to be (magnified int he playoffs) and I do think he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm optimistic it won't be an issue but it's a question I have for sure. 

I actually think it’s coaching. I get the player has to do different, but coach the player to utilize options. Their needs to be adjustments made that maybe the player can’t see from their angle, coaches need to be like, reverse it here or whatever they see. It’s just an example but I see it as a coaching problem. I feel the previous three coaches never changed things enough to adjust what is happening.