Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think there has been enough talk about Gaudreau for the Hart.

Hart will be very interesting this year, can either Oiler be a candidate if the team misses.  Huberdeau is a possibility, but a pretty stacked team that has a healthy lead in goals for.  Matthews will probably get a lot of love from the big market, as will Shesterkin.  Personally I think Makar should get a lot of consideration.  Johnny definitely deserves to be a finalist at this point.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Hart will be very interesting this year, can either Oiler be a candidate if the team misses.  Huberdeau is a possibility, but a pretty stacked team that has a healthy lead in goals for.  Matthews will probably get a lot of love from the big market, as will Shesterkin.  Personally I think Makar should get a lot of consideration.  Johnny definitely deserves to be a finalist at this point.

I doubt they do the same player for two voted awards.

Makar will be the Norris guy, no doubt.

If the Oilers are on the bubble, how are either player MVP's?

Both of them have 30+ powerplay points.

Gaudreau has 16.

Johnny leads all forwards (except Lindy) with +/- of +44.

McD and Drai are 81 and 79 points to Gaudreau's 77.

Who is the real MVP here?

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't know about that. Tough for me to find an argument why Matthews isn't even a finalist when he is likely the front runner.

He'd be my pick if the season ended today. He has been pretty incredible for the Leafs this year. 

Fair enough.

Gaudreau has more 5v5 points and less PP points.

+44 vs +12

GWG - 7 for Gaudreau, 6 for AM.

Maybe it's more fair to say that of the top forwards, the 3 that jump off the board the most are:

Huberdeau, Gaudreau and Matthews.

The teams they play on are all playoff teams.

Each of those three players are the top players of their team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 8:12 PM, conundrumed said:

Almost like JG and Markstrom split the vote for us. Whereas Tdot is completely worthless and weak without Matthews.

Gaudreau won't beat out Matthews or McD for Hart.

Marky may (and should) win the Vezna.

Lindholm should win the Selke.

Sutter should win the Adams.

We should win the Jennings.

But a win against NJ and the Leafs are unstoppable.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Eric Francis talking about Johnny Gaudreau on Kyper and Bourne: “If he has a playoff like he’s had in the past, I don’t think anybody in Calgary would miss him a bit.” The absolute disrespect, but do you expect anything else? #Flames

I saw that too. He also seems convinced Johnny wont be a Flame next year if he has a good playoff because of course....money trumps all.

26 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I saw that too. He also seems convinced Johnny wont be a Flame next year if he has a good playoff because of course....money trumps all.

A while back he even suggested Tkachuk won't commit long term if Johnny doesn't have a good playoff.  The guy is something else.  All I want is one day for someone to go Voracek on him.

13 minutes ago, sak22 said:

A while back he even suggested Tkachuk won't commit long term if Johnny doesn't have a good playoff.  The guy is something else.  All I want is one day for someone to go Voracek on him.

The coach sets him straight when he's at a presser.  The guest stuff he does or even the SN pieces he does during games doesn't really allow for someone to put the boots to him.  Sit him down with Button, and he would leave in tears.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The coach sets him straight when he's at a presser.  The guest stuff he does or even the SN pieces he does during games doesn't really allow for someone to put the boots to him.  Sit him down with Button, and he would leave in tears.

I would pay to watch that.

27 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I would pay to watch that.

Most of the time Sutter talks it's the exact opposite of what the reporters are saying.  "No, Eric, it's not that way"...."You guys keep saying Gaudreau can't play under the system, now you are saying he can.".

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Why the hell is he our beat reporter SN? Every Flames fan hates him.

Blockchain Eric Frances and his mom that he rode in on.

No idea.  Hailey Salvian is more knowledgeable and a less abrasive personality.  She also writes for the Athletic besides reporting for SN.  She covers the Flames.  She seems to have the same access to coaches and players. 

Francis talks about certain Flames players with the same conviction that he did about Mike Smith being an All Star here.  Smith (according to him) was a star and the reason why we were winning games in that season.  His awesome passing allowed us to transition to the rush.  Funny that this is the exact thing that Sutter warned about; stretching the ice out.  And it's the thing that is killing the Oilers.

Does he even respect the players here?  It always sounds like he just says things to be different and get clicks.  If Gaudreau has a bad playoffs, look to the rest of the top 6.  He stirs the drink, but if the coffee is not hot, he won't make it taste any better.   

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd love to see Frances ask a question and the interviewee look around and say, "hey, where's the ignore button up here"?

Sorta like the Gene Principe of Calgary hockey.  Well, at least Gene has his stupid jokes.  

I would prefer to see Craig Button eat Eric for breakfast.  He has a heaping helping of Mike Johnson on TSN.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Sorta like the Gene Principe of Calgary hockey.  Well, at least Gene has his stupid jokes.  

I would prefer to see Craig Button eat Eric for breakfast.  He has a heaping helping of Mike Johnson on TSN.

Yeah I saw that. Outside of Noodles on Overdrive, O'Neil and company are insufferable Leafs homers.

Duthie closed it out well. MJ, next time we ask a question, can you just answer it instead of asking a bunch more questions?lol

I would love to see Gaudreau go on a heather starting tonight, but would prefer he score goal 30 for the season and career goal; 200 against the Oilers.  I like the current line with Toffee there, but only if it means we have two dangerous scoring lines.  Having Dube with Tkachuk adds some speed to the line with a sluggish skater like Tkachuk there.  Backlund helps by getting the puck in the zone, with Dube and Tkachuk able to finish.  If only Toffee can discover the finish on the sublime passes that Gaudreau will get to him. 

A friend of mine has really good Oilers seasons tix. A couple years ago he treated me to a Flames game.. Principe was above us doing the pregame.

My buddy, who is a very large man, yelled up, "Shut the f*** up Principe, you're probably drunk again, as usual".

To say that I was taken aback is a huge understatement. Principe clearly heard him and looked really embarrassed.

I was like "Jeezus man".

I can neither confirm nor deny what he told me afterwards, so I'll leave it out.

But damn, I thought that I hated Frances...that was other level, pure scorn.

He has 4 lower-level over-priced season tix. I thought for sure security was coming. Nope.

But I will say that over the course of 3 Flames camps while I lived there, I never saw Frances.

Virtually everyone else, but not him.

I never liked Lombourdias, but meeting him changed my mind, big time.

Peter is gold. He never speaks in negatives about anyone. Just happy to be a part of it all.

Anyone remember Frances on 960 a few years ago at Christmas talking about a specific christmas light being gawdy and, in effect, "what kind of loser..."

Only to have Peter say. "I have those and we love them, so I guess you think that I'm a loser".

The backtracking was magnificent. Peter just kept saying. "No, that's okay. I get it".

Blockchain Eris Frances and his mom that he rode in on.

My dad's cousin ran the Calgary Sun, I know Frances' story...Mommy got him a job.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, conundrumed said:

Without question they'll give it to Matthews. But in reality, JG should win it. We were a team of zero expectations and Johnny has driven this incredible season.

More and more, I have to wonder why nobody is talking about Roman Josi.

He doesn't have the kind of pieces around him that everyone else does. Yet he is scorching hot. Only Bobby Orr had more consecutive 3 pt games at 6. Josi had 4, then screwed up in the 5th game by only getting a goal and an assist.

He deserves huge consideration for both Norris and Hart.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

More and more, I have to wonder why nobody is talking about Roman Josi.

He doesn't have the kind of pieces around him that everyone else does. Yet he is scorching hot. Only Bobby Orr had more consecutive 3 pt games at 6. Josi had 4, then screwed up in the 5th game by only getting a goal and an assist.

He deserves huge consideration for both Norris and Hart.

They look at points for the Norris first.  By rights Barrie could have won it on that alone last season, but he was trash otherwise.  Now he is looking like buyout fodder.  

Gaudreau is never going to get the same attention that the big name C's get.  He could win the scoring race and they would still talk about how his EN goals made the difference.  Yet, he is leading the league in primary assists 5v5.  3rd in +/- with +44, only behind Devon Toews and Lindholm.  The only other forwards in the top 10 are Tkachuk (+38) and Rantanen (+32).  Not exactly a pond hockey scorer.