Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

Just now, conundrumed said:

I'm sure it helps me.lol Thanks!

I'll try not to say blockchain anymore, but I'm gonna need a pass for Eric Frances....

He reported it by accident.  The blockchain is no big deal, everyone says it.  It's why we have a filter.  

Blockchain Eric Francis and the little pony he rode into town on.

Just now, travel_dude said:

He reported it by accident.  The blockchain is no big deal, everyone says it.  It's why we have a filter.  

Blockchain Eric Francis and the little pony he rode into town on.

His mom's coattails TD, his mom's coattails. Confirmed. That's how he started with the Sun.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

His mom's coattails TD, his mom's coattails. Confirmed. That's how he started with the Sun.

Yeah, I heard that before.  I don't care how he started, just stop being a douche every day.  Or if you are a douche, don't appear in public.  Go back to the douche pool.

EF that is.

F EF.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Something something my mom is well-known and well-respected something something...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Francis

Didn't realize I went to SMU with her.  Well, that's not quite accurate.  I may have taken some classed in Economics while she was there.  I went back to SMU part time to finish a degree I started in 79.  Switched to Computer Science from general Arts.  

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

To an extent yes, but remember when a Gaudreau breakaway was just a five-hole attempt and non-event, did anyone ever predict 2 years ago that Gaudreau could set franchise records for EV points and +/-.  We didn't see this Gaudreau on a consistent basis the last 2 years, and really who saw it coming under Darryl Sutter.

Well, now we know.  Monahan is a 3rd/4th liner who happens to have an elite shot.  Monahan doesn't have the high IQ of Lindholm and Tkachuk to keep up with Gaudreau.  Doesn't have that level of imagination.

My reserve was Lindholm at Center because he was always a better RW but this season, he's really come along.  He went through the growing pains and emerged much better at Center than ever.  Arguably a better Center than Monahan ever was because he's a better skater.  Plus, 2 more goals away from hitting 40.  Monahan's career best was 34.

And so Gaudreau with a better Center and Tkachuk who has made a successful transition to RW... this has made all the difference.  No more dead weight to carry around.  Lindholm and Tkachuk can make things happen on their own.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Didn't realize I went to SMU with her.  Well, that's not quite accurate.  I may have taken some classed in Economics while she was there.  I went back to SMU part time to finish a degree I started in 79.  Switched to Computer Science from general Arts.  

Uh-oh. Sounds like a potential lovechild.lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, now we know.  Monahan is a 3rd/4th liner who happens to have an elite shot.  Monahan doesn't have the high IQ of Lindholm and Tkachuk to keep up with Gaudreau.  Doesn't have that level of imagination.

My reserve was Lindholm at Center because he was always a better RW but this season, he's really come along.  He went through the growing pains and emerged much better at Center than ever.  Arguably a better Center than Monahan ever was because he's a better skater.  Plus, 2 more goals away from hitting 40.  Monahan's career best was 34.

And so Gaudreau with a better Center and Tkachuk who has made a successful transition to RW... this has made all the difference.  No more dead weight to carry around.  Lindholm and Tkachuk can make things happen on their own.

At the same time it's also reasonable to point out that one player's career has suffered due to injuries and one player also has made huge strides to improve his game under a new coach. 

This is not the same Gaudreau we've watched the last 2 years, not at least for me it isn't. Deserves a lot of credit for buying into what Sutter wants. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At the same time it's also reasonable to point out that one player's career has suffered due to injuries and one player also has made huge strides to improve his game under a new coach. 

This is not the same Gaudreau we've watched the last 2 years, not at least for me it isn't. Deserves a lot of credit for buying into what Sutter wants. 

Yes true.  Monahan is broken and it's sad.  He used to be much faster (not to be confused with fast)... but he's slow now.  He was at least fast enough for his size and capable of playing very effective two-way hockey and join the rush.

And Gaudreau... is it a "contract year" performance only?  We've never seen this from him before.  He's hungry back checking full rink.

I recall a pre-season interview where he was like, "it was fun to score a bunch of points late season (with Lindholm and Tkachuk) but we can't load up one line.  We need to spread it around".  Maybe Sutter heard him and replied "you get to keep scoring a bunch of points with Lindholm and Tkachuk to get your big pay day but you need to backcheck like you've never backchecked before."

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes true.  Monahan is broken and it's sad.  He used to be much faster (not to be confused with fast)... but he's slow now.  He was at least fast enough for his size and capable of playing very effective two-way hockey and join the rush.

And Gaudreau... is it a "contract year" performance only?  We've never seen this from him before.  He's hungry back checking full rink.

I recall a pre-season interview where he was like, "it was fun to score a bunch of points late season (with Lindholm and Tkachuk) but we can't load up one line.  We need to spread it around".  Maybe Sutter heard him and replied "you get to keep scoring a bunch of points with Lindholm and Tkachuk to get your big pay day but you need to backcheck like you've never backchecked before."

I think we've seen it in spurts before. he was doing some of this under Peters too just not as consistently. 

Always a fear but not a high one for me. While I certainly wasn't thinking/expecting a hart Trophy like performance Gaudreau's always been an elite talent that I thought just need someone to hold him accountable to the other areas of growth in his game. I don't think the desire was lacking before, it was the accountability. 

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I am also seeing a different player.  He's never going to be a Selke player, but boy can he follow where the play is going.  Sixth sense.  I think he is less frustrated this year, because the other things he's doing are adding up for him.  Make a big play, win a game.  Look for seams instead of doing it all yourself.  No play?  Dump it.  A lot less East West play, once he winds up.  

I don't even think it matters which line he plays on, he would make them better.  But when a line is the highest +/- in the league and probably (haven't looked it up) the best GF/GA line, do you need to change it?  Sure, have that in your pocket, but you should be able to find a way to win without chaging.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't even think it matters which line he plays on, he would make them better.  But when a line is the highest +/- in the league and probably (haven't looked it up) the best GF/GA line, do you need to change it?  Sure, have that in your pocket, but you should be able to find a way to win without chaging.

Ya, while McDavid-Draisaitl and Matthews-Marner are the best combos in the league, I think the Flames have the best Trio in Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk.  The Flames have the best/complete line in the NHL right now.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Those three are all looking at career seasons, all are healthy under and playing for a good coach.  Who knows what Sutter could've done with a healthy Monahan.  I don't know I didn't think there were too many issues with 2013-2019 Monahan he was a low end #1 or good #2 and he produced to those standards, just seems like kicking a man when he's down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya, while McDavid-Draisaitl and Matthews-Marner are the best combos in the league, I think the Flames have the best Trio in Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk.  The Flames have the best/complete line in the NHL right now.

The funny thing is that the first combo isn't even a combo, except on the PP.  It's why they have insane PP points totals.  They load up McD with Drai when they are down a goal (or two).  But those first 4 players all play in excess of 20 minutes, with McD playing the most of any F in the league.  Tack on 3-5 minutes to Gaudreau and his numbers would be insane. 

There is no doubt that our top line is the best in the NHL.  Even if you go McD-Drai, it still just two guys and the occasional passenger.  Neither of those guys really are defensive.  EVG and EVP are a bit closer, but tack on +/- and you really see the difference.  It's not just goaltending.  We have had average goaltending at times as well.  McD and Drai went on a points binge feasting on average teams or tired teams.  Our line eats but doesn't pig out.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The funny thing is that the first combo isn't even a combo, except on the PP.  It's why they have insane PP points totals.  They load up McD with Drai when they are down a goal (or two).  But those first 4 players all play in excess of 20 minutes, with McD playing the most of any F in the league.  Tack on 3-5 minutes to Gaudreau and his numbers would be insane. 

There is no doubt that our top line is the best in the NHL.  Even if you go McD-Drai, it still just two guys and the occasional passenger.  Neither of those guys really are defensive.  EVG and EVP are a bit closer, but tack on +/- and you really see the difference.  It's not just goaltending.  We have had average goaltending at times as well.  McD and Drai went on a points binge feasting on average teams or tired teams.  Our line eats but doesn't pig out.

It's actually Mr. Pissy who's #1, he spends a little more time killing penalties so gets the edge.  But he has played the exact same amount of games as Johnny, but Leon has played 300 more minutes and Connor is only 30 minutes back, equivalent of 5 full length games.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

It's actually Mr. Pissy who's #1, he spends a little more time killing penalties so gets the edge.  But he has played the exact same amount of games as Johnny, but Leon has played 300 more minutes and Connor is only 30 minutes back, equivalent of 5 full length games.  Crazy.

You are correct.  I was looking at Average TOI

Leon 22:37

McD 22:10

That goes up and down a bit.  Probably wasn't as close before Leon missed a game.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

i was calling Monahan out when he was scoring. I just felt that they were too stoppable then and he could only score, which made their zone time nonexistent. I feel bad for Monahan but I just couldn’t get on his train… 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

but I think it’s what you get playing him with certain players. I thought he could do this with other players. He showed better when Lindholm was with him and Monahan, but I still wanted a mobile c with him then. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i was calling Monahan out when he was scoring. I just felt that they were too stoppable then and he could only score, which made their zone time nonexistent. I feel bad for Monahan but I just couldn’t get on his train… 

I don't get it.  Monahan was unstoppable when his game was on.  What was it?  He had the most OT GWG's in franchise history?  His shot was money.  The team overall was useless in the playoffs, but I don;t think you can just put it on Monahan and Gaudreau.  Probably the best chance we had in recent memory was against Dallas.  Coach was a complete tool.  What was it, the turning point game where we had a lead and somehow we get 2 minutes of Backlund out there?  Or we have a game where the coach refuses to call a time out and end up burning two goalies?

I get what you are saying.  But you have to look to our playoff results overall, not just one or two players.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get it.  Monahan was unstoppable when his game was on.  What was it?  He had the most OT GWG's in franchise history?  His shot was money.  The team overall was useless in the playoffs, but I don;t think you can just put it on Monahan and Gaudreau.  Probably the best chance we had in recent memory was against Dallas.  Coach was a complete tool.  What was it, the turning point game where we had a lead and somehow we get 2 minutes of Backlund out there?  Or we have a game where the coach refuses to call a time out and end up burning two goalies?

I get what you are saying.  But you have to look to our playoff results overall, not just one or two players.  

i didn’t see him as unstoppable. He got into spots for Johnny to pass him the puck, and had a great shot. There wasn’t enough there for me. For me he didn’t bring enough otherwise, they could never keep the puck in. Everything was either one and done off the rush and he scored a lot because of Johnny. But it’s the need to keep a sustained pressure that I felt was missing from him and Johnny’s other line mates. Tough to compare as it’s different now than then. They hardly ever had the third. They got shut down as Monny was their center Even when Lindholm was with them. It’s what I saw, and I even said it then that I felt Bennett could do the same if given the same opportunity. Hard to argue, but Bennett has 27 now, now that he was given opportunity, and had good metrics while with the flames. Just no sustained line mates like Monahan had…

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think we've seen it in spurts before. he was doing some of this under Peters too just not as consistently. 

Always a fear but not a high one for me. While I certainly wasn't thinking/expecting a hart Trophy like performance Gaudreau's always been an elite talent that I thought just need someone to hold him accountable to the other areas of growth in his game. I don't think the desire was lacking before, it was the accountability. 

I give full marks to Sutter .. and of course Johnny himself for executing .

I've said many times in the past if you could get Johnny playing like Mangiapane he'd be a force ...and this year he's doing it..

Hes no longer sheltered.. he starts in the D zone, he goes in corners , he doesn't snip at refs for Calls , and he's physical. Plays with a swagger ..Sutter set the role and ultimatum and Johnny bought in and is executing 

He's always been coachable just nobody until now forced him into the dirty areas of the game .. remember it was Jagr who pulled him aside and told him he could win a scoring title ..that was the year he got 99

All the "new" facets of his game we are seeing this year. Are the exact missing elements which have made him invisible in playoffs until now ..  I am so stoked to see his playoffs this year 

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I give full marks to Sutter .. and of course Johnny himself for executing .

I've said many times in the past if you could get Johnny playing like Mangiapane he'd be a force ...and this year he's doing it..

Hes no longer sheltered.. he starts in the D zone, he goes in corners , he doesn't snip at refs for Calls , and he's physical. Plays with a swagger ..Sutter set the role and ultimatum and Johnny bought in and is executing 

He's always been coachable just nobody until now forced him into the dirty areas of the game .. remember it was Jagr who pulled him aside and told him he could win a scoring title ..that was the year he got 99

All the "new" facets of his game we are seeing this year. Are the exact missing elements which have made him invisible in playoffs until now ..  I am so stoked to see his playoffs this year 

a part of me thinks the other coaches all said, here is the playbook now do your thing. I feel they did that with everyone though, which is why there was no accountability. No one challenged or implemented the 200’ game. They preached it, but didn’t hole accountable. Sutter has everyone checking the moment pucks get turned over. Playing isn’t dead when you don’t have the puck. And I remember noticing it the past 3-4 years and was saying it when the Pens won their back to back. Hated them, but was in awe of how they play. And thought that was the recipe we were missing. I remember Cross saying we have a system similar to them but either no accountability or buy in or enforcing they side of it. He might have said bodies? But this was what I envisioned the style to be, Engaging hockey. Run and gun and possession is boring to me if other teams just wait for a turnover and score. It’s the limiting and positioning and getting the puck back efforts that I like, because more often than not, they’ll be in the offensive zone more.

i think Johnny did it the first half of B. Peter’s ’ first year. It’s why he approached 100. But they got lazy and Peters  lost their ear sometime in that halfway point. 

i think the mobile C is doing wonders for his game. And Tkachuk’s iq getting into the passing lanes and finding them again…

On 4/8/2022 at 6:43 PM, robrob74 said:

but I think it’s what you get playing him with certain players. I thought he could do this with other players. He showed better when Lindholm was with him and Monahan, but I still wanted a mobile c with him then. 

I wouldn't disagree at all that Lindholm and Tkachuk are key reasons for his success. It's the best match of skill sets on a line Gaudrau has ever played on in his career. 

My main point here is there are many factors and I don't thikn it's as simple as he is now "free" from Monahan. Gaudreau has made several adjustments and improvements in his game that has lead to this. 

I always saw Mony as a 1-trick pony. Hence why I was willing to trade him both before and during his chain of injuries. I’m still hoping we address the 2C position this off-season. Anyone thinking we can pry Thomas out of St. Loo for Chucky? Jarnkrok - depending on performance this year - could be a solid bottom-2 add. I do like what Ruzie brings. Dvorak still hangs in the balance for me, but I am concerned about his frequent injuries. 

Back to Johnny. He’s gone full beast mode this year. I was ready to move on from Johnny after the last few seasons. I hope his game this year translates into the playoffs. But I also hope the depth steps up to support the team. Can’t win a cup with only 1 line going, no matter how good. GFG! Go Johnny go!