Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think it’s coaching. I get the player has to do different, but coach the player to utilize options. Their needs to be adjustments made that maybe the player can’t see from their angle, coaches need to be like, reverse it here or whatever they see. It’s just an example but I see it as a coaching problem. I feel the previous three coaches never changed things enough to adjust what is happening.

Slow clap.

I am glass half-full.  I think he has the knowledge to be that guy.

It wasn't just him in other playoffs.

It was the idea of slowing it down and stretching out the ice instead of a 5 man unit.

He's going to get the odd breakaway, but it's not our only look.

Nothing there?  Dump it or back pass.

Put it to an open area and get the guy to skate into it.

How many coaches did we have that were over their head or couldn't change.

BP was okay, but he stuck with it and didn't adjust.

Or just pull out the blender.

You do that best when a guy isn't going.

If it's the entire line, then who knows.

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think it’s coaching. I get the player has to do different, but coach the player to utilize options. Their needs to be adjustments made that maybe the player can’t see from their angle, coaches need to be like, reverse it here or whatever they see. It’s just an example but I see it as a coaching problem. I feel the previous three coaches never changed things enough to adjust what is happening.

IMO blaming coaching is a mostly a cop out. Coaches can make any suggestions they want but once the puck drops there is not much they can do and IMO what Gaudreau has struggled with in the playoffs is how he executes when the puck is dropped and doesn't have anything to do with adjustments. Conroy has even gone on the record as saying Gaudreau has complained to him about the lack of space and officiating in the playoffs and admitted it gets him off his game. There isn't anything, IMO, that a coach can do there that's up to the player to fight through adversity. 

I thought in the Colorado series, Gaudreau was playing well and had there been some adjustments made (in particular using more dump and chase) then it wouldn't look so bad on him. But outside of that series, I think it's a simple as he just hasn't played very well in the playoffs. 

But i'm optimistic it will be different this year. I think one of the key changes he's made this season is being less focused on stuff he can't control and just focusing on the game itself. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But i'm optimistic it will be different this year. I think one of the key changes he's made this season is being less focused on stuff he can't control and just focusing on the game itself. 

Yeah, I am actually tired of looking back.  I prefer to look at Sutter-Johnny times.  It feels different this year.  Whether or not his shots from the left circle have any chance or not, he's doing that less.  He's finding places where he can set up a pass or sneak in for a close in shot.  His goal and near goal both from 2 feet away.  He may not find that space as easy in the playoff, but this was a defensive minded team he managed to do it against.

Not using Monahan as a scapegoat, but that was first choice.  Lindholm more on rush plays as a trailer.  If the new line has success it will be because there is three weapons to score, not just one.  Tkachuk is good at greasy goals, Johnny from in close and Lindholm from the slot.  TBH, they all can get to the slot.  

Gaudreau's line has really been good at keeping the puck out of our net.  They are not the defensive hole they used to be.  Basically, with that line on, they are scoring about 2 goals to every 1 against.  My math may be a little off, and it may be better than that.  If we can get the Backlund line to that same level or even, then we stand a good chance.  

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

IMO blaming coaching is a mostly a cop out. Coaches can make any suggestions they want but once the puck drops there is not much they can do and IMO what Gaudreau has struggled with in the playoffs is how he executes when the puck is dropped and doesn't have anything to do with adjustments. Conroy has even gone on the record as saying Gaudreau has complained to him about the lack of space and officiating in the playoffs and admitted it gets him off his game. There isn't anything, IMO, that a coach can do there that's up to the player to fight through adversity. 

I thought in the Colorado series, Gaudreau was playing well and had there been some adjustments made (in particular using more dump and chase) then it wouldn't look so bad on him. But outside of that series, I think it's a simple as he just hasn't played very well in the playoffs. 

I agree for the most part. Can't overlook the fact that he has been the only real threat in the past.

But now, if you want to double team him, Lindholm and Tkachuk are massive threats. Who are you going to let run free if you focus on Johnny? Then you factor in we also have big shots and threats from every D pairing.

This will be Johnny's first playoffs where there are a ton of threats with him.

If I'm coaching against, I have my best D guy shadowing Johnny. Zetterberg isn't around, so I'd recognize that I'm not going to win this battle 100% of the time. You can't double team him or the other 4 guys on the ice will have a field day.

As you can tell, I'm really excited! Forget past playoffs, those were different and far, imho, inferior teams.

It isn't up to Johnny to go it alone.

My go-to joke when discussing playoff matchups with friends is, "why are we even talking about other teams"?

I truly believe that. The Flames are going to be a massive threat. They have so many looks, and one Dillon Dube playing high intensity and coming into his own is another matter. Sutter has alluded to him being called up too early.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They have so many looks, and one Dillon Dube playing high intensity and coming into his own is another matter. Sutter has alluded to him being called up too

Dube was part of the Bennett-Looch line and managed 4 goals last playoffs.  If he can keep off the boards on entry, he could be in for a monster playoffs.  Dube scored 3 of his 4 last playoffs against Dallas.  Gaudreau scored half his 4 goals against Dallas.  And that was a far inferior team.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

IMO blaming coaching is a mostly a cop out. Coaches can make any suggestions they want but once the puck drops there is not much they can do and IMO what Gaudreau has struggled with in the playoffs is how he executes when the puck is dropped and doesn't have anything to do with adjustments. Conroy has even gone on the record as saying Gaudreau has complained to him about the lack of space and officiating in the playoffs and admitted it gets him off his game. There isn't anything, IMO, that a coach can do there that's up to the player to fight through adversity

I agree that it is on the player to be more mentally focused and determined in the playoffs. But I will disagree with is the line that Sutter put together. Having Tkachuk on that line takes the spot light away from Johnny because Chucky is gonna make the other team remember that he is on the ice, whether he is pissing someone off, throwing a big hit, getting into the blue paint and going to work; it forces the other team to pay attention to Matt. Which in turn takes some of the attention away from Johnny. If Lindholm is the conscience of that line, it allows the devil and the angel to go to work and drive other teams crazy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree for the most part. Can't overlook the fact that he has been the only real threat in the past.

But now, if you want to double team him, Lindholm and Tkachuk are massive threats. Who are you going to let run free if you focus on Johnny? Then you factor in we also have big shots and threats from every D pairing.

This will be Johnny's first playoffs where there are a ton of threats with him.

If I'm coaching against, I have my best D guy shadowing Johnny. Zetterberg isn't around, so I'd recognize that I'm not going to win this battle 100% of the time. You can't double team him or the other 4 guys on the ice will have a field day.

As you can tell, I'm really excited! Forget past playoffs, those were different and far, imho, inferior teams.

It isn't up to Johnny to go it alone.

My go-to joke when discussing playoff matchups with friends is, "why are we even talking about other teams"?

I truly believe that. The Flames are going to be a massive threat. They have so many looks, and one Dillon Dube playing high intensity and coming into his own is another matter. Sutter has alluded to him being called up too early.

Don't really think this is fair to be honest. Monahan has been good in the playoffs, Lindholm has been with him, Hudler, Tkachuk (who also can stand to be better in the playoffs).  I think there has been multiple series where members of his line have been good or ok and he hasn't. 

Anyway this isn't a point I'm trying to drive home because it's in the past and as I say I'm optimistic that things will be different. A lot fo what you say here is valid, he's made changes and I truly believe he will approach these playoffs with a chip on his shoulder. 

I just can't lie that it's on my list of concerns. If the Flames are going to be upset I think it's going to be because their top line was once again ineffective in the playoffs.  Not a high concern, it's just the formula I think that sees them get upset. 

I think this being a contract year for both Johnny and Matty, they may come into the playoffs with a little extra motivation.  Playoff failures have been the knock on them in the past, especially Johnny, so he (they) may be out to prove the critics wrong.  That and the fact that they are both a year older, stronger, and have some experience in the post season, I believe our top line will be our top line in the playoffs.

I think it's key that the roster that was here in the loss to Dallas and Colorado despises the idea of losing in the first round.  A few guys know what it takes to get past it.  A few guys are hungry to show their value. 

Angry - Tkachuk, Lindy, Gaudreau, Mangiap[ane, Dube, Hanifin, Ras

Know what it takes - Lewis, Lucic, Coleman, Jarnkrok, Toffoli

Hungry - Kylington, Tanev, Gudbranson, Zadorov, Markstrom

Don't know - Ritchie, Backlund

I'm not certain about Backlund mostly because he doesn't seem to ramp up in the playoffs.  It may be a bad impression, since he seems to have take the foot off the gas.  It might be bad usage, since I think he's better with Coleman and Dube.     

29 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

TD you just have a downer on Backs. 😁

If you look at Backs stats inthep layoffs he actually has produced a bit more but such a small sample size for him Johnnny and others it is hard to say.

It's funny because they used to start Backs almost religiously in the D-zone.  He's been more in the O-zone.  A snapshot of the last 15 games has him with 7 assists (good), +/- of +1 (meh), and averaging about 15-16 minutes of ice.  When Sutter calls out his top players for not playing at their best, Backs is one of them.  Two lost draws that resulted in goals last night.  I will give him the one in OT, but it's a draw you need to win.  Same with Lindy on the PK and 3v3.  We lost possession in the first draw in OT and promptly took a penalty.  It's a nothing game, except for later home ice advantage, but 3 goals on lost draws is bad.

Backs used to be the guy you put on McDavid.  Like glue.  We can all be better.  I just want Backs to recover that instinct and game he showed earlier in the season.  This isn't the first time Sutter has called out some players.  He isn't saying names in the media, but he talks about the situations or player results.  

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

he will win the Conn Smythe!!!

I said the same thing when I saw the snub :) the omission could serve as additional motivation.

Also, I'm not a fan of goalie for the hart to begin with - that's what the vezina is for. I don't think there's ever been a case where a goalie has won the Hart trophy and NOT the Vezina in the same year. 

• Like 1

Just now, LouCifer said:

I said the same thing when I saw the snub :) the omission could serve as additional motivation.

Also, I'm not a fan of goalie for the hart to begin with - that's what the vezina is for. I don't think there's ever been a case where a goalie has won the Hart trophy and NOT the Vezina in the same year. 

The Conn Smythe is the only time  goalie should ever be considered a MVP.  The Rags are winning despite the goalie looking average.  Vasilevskiy is average this playoffs and the Leafs only have one victory more.  

The Johnny snub is exactly the thing Gaudreau needs.  Not that he needs much motivation, but we haven't seen him go super nova yet.  If and when we get to the next round, he will be a handful.  

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

I'm fine with goalies when either no skater stands out like Price in 2015, or when they put up ridiculous numbers that can't be ignored.  If I were to go with a non forward for Hart this year I would've gone with Josi because no defenseman has put up numbers like that in almost 3 decades.  

I'll be curious to see how the voting breakdown went, I think this year there will be a lot of homer votes even outside those finalists, Huberdeau, Kaprizov, Ovechkin, Makar, Stamkos, Jos, and Gaudreau I could see all those guys potentially getting a 1st place ballot from their market.  I also wonder how high Matheson and Spec will rank Leon because I don't think either could resist

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm fine with goalies when either no skater stands out like Price in 2015, or when they put up ridiculous numbers that can't be ignored.  If I were to go with a non forward for Hart this year I would've gone with Josi because no defenseman has put up numbers like that in almost 3 decades.  

I'll be curious to see how the voting breakdown went, I think this year there will be a lot of homer votes even outside those finalists, Huberdeau, Kaprizov, Ovechkin, Makar, Stamkos, Jos, and Gaudreau I could see all those guys potentially getting a 1st place ballot from their market.  I also wonder how high Matheson and Spec will rank Leon because I don't think either could resist

It doesn't make a lot of sense that McD outpaces Gaudreau, where Leon was the best pure goal scorer on the team.  He had more important goals for the team.  And he did a lot of scoring away from McPoints.

It's a disservice to award the Hart to a player that isn't at the top in both goals for and goals against.  EV goals, Matthews led the way, while Johnny and McPoints were tied for 2nd.  EV points, Gaudreau ahead of McP by 12 and Matthews by 13.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Bunting a Calder Finalist.lol I'm sure it has nothing to do with Marner-Matthews.. Trade situations him and Raymond, Bunting would be nowhere in sight.

Oh well, HAS to be Seider's.

Agreed it should be Seider's and that is a snub for Raymond who i would have put ahead of Zegras

I think this was a year where there are a long list of candidates and you can make cases for many of them so I have a hard time calling this a snub. I could have made a case he was a finalist and part of me expected it but i'm also personally of the opinion that goalies shouldn't be nominated for the Hart. That being said if you are going to use the true definition of the Hart (most valuable to this team) then Shesterkin should win it easily. he WAS the Rangers this year. 

I thought Johnny had a Hart trophy calibre season but I also fully understand why Matthews and McDavid should get the nod ahead of him. It makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Agreed it should be Seider's and that is a snub for Raymond who i would have put ahead of Zegras

Reminds me of the Ekblad-Gaudreau Calder race. An immediate RS 1D has precedent I believe. Hard enough to find a 1D, let alone a rookie stepping right in.

Interested to see if Edvinsson jumps right in next year, but Stevie Y is pretty patient.

Detroit could potentially have 2 more horses in the Calder race next year.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, LouCifer said:

Sutter said it, most valuable to our team, I think is what he said.

I've said before, if the Flames lose Gaudreau this summer then forget about the playoffs next season.  We can expect Tkachuk and Lindholm to revert back to 65-point players.  We won't have a #1 line which carried the Flames offense for so much of the season.  He's that MVP to the Flames.