Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

More and more, I have to wonder why nobody is talking about Roman Josi.

He doesn't have the kind of pieces around him that everyone else does. Yet he is scorching hot. Only Bobby Orr had more consecutive 3 pt games at 6. Josi had 4, then screwed up in the 5th game by only getting a goal and an assist.

He deserves huge consideration for both Norris and Hart.

I still think its weird that defensemen never get much consideration for the Hart, might as well change the description to best forward and sometimes goalie.  Lidstrom was easily the best player in the league from 2000-2010, yet not once a Hart finalist.  I'd like to see D get recognized more often as the most valuable to their team, it happens way more than it gets reflected, but I guess its sports in general the Rams don't win a Superbowl without Aaron Donald, but he didn't score touchdowns so can't be MVP.

If the Oilers make the playoffs then McDavid should win the Hart.  That team is so bad that it's the worst team in the NHL without McDavid.  If the Oilers miss however, then that opens the door for many others to have a chance, including Gaudreau.  Huberdeau, Matthews, Josi, and even Kaprizov has had an amazing year.  

You need some crazy stats to help your cause and if Josi, with 19 games remaining can get 21-points to hit 100... Boy that's a special season.  He should win the Hart for sure.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If the Oilers make the playoffs then McDavid should win the Hart.  That team is so bad that it's the worst team in the NHL without McDavid.  If the Oilers miss however, then that opens the door for many others to have a chance, including Gaudreau.  Huberdeau, Matthews, Josi, and even Kaprizov has had an amazing year.  

You need some crazy stats to help your cause and if Josi, with 19 games remaining can get 21-points to hit 100... Boy that's a special season.  He should win the Hart for sure.

He's not running away with it in the scoring race.  Even with an easy March schedule, they are just on pace to get 3rd in the Pacific.  And McD put up 20 points in that space, but doesn't have a ton of separation.  If McD can continue to put up 2 points per game for the remaining games, he stands a good chance of winning it.  

Gaudreau is trying to fin a way to win the scoring title, stays at the top in +/- and still play Sutter's game.  So far he's done 2/3 of that.  His line is the best line in hockey 5v5.  Nobody close.  When Sutter even says that, you know it's something.  The first star of Talbot is well earned.  The 3rd star?  With his "All Star" performance, the Oiler went 1-2-1.  3 goals and 1 assist came in a game where he was a minus 4.  A hatty is always something to take notice of, but not exactly a 3rd star week.

All I can say is get the deal done and damn the torpedoes.  Nobody can even touch him when his game is on.    

On 3/25/2022 at 1:25 PM, travel_dude said:

He's not running away with it in the scoring race.  Even with an easy March schedule, they are just on pace to get 3rd in the Pacific.  And McD put up 20 points in that space, but doesn't have a ton of separation.  If McD can continue to put up 2 points per game for the remaining games, he stands a good chance of winning it.  

The bar for McDavid has to be "running away with it" but if Gaudreau wins the scoring race by 1-point then it's the story of the year.

If you just look at McDavid objectively, then he's the best player in the league and clearly the most valuable to the Oilers.  If the Oilers make the playoffs then he should win the Hart.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The bar for McDavid has to be "running away with it" but if Gaudreau wins the scoring race by 1-point then it's the story of the year.

If you just look at McDavid objectively, then he's the best player in the league and clearly the most valuable to the Oilers.  If the Oilers make the playoffs then he should win the Hart.

Do we have any 40 goal scorers on our team?  EDM has one and his name isn't McD and doesn't play all season with him.  But the other argument is how many minutes do you have to play to be scoring that many points.  22+?

Look, I get the best player argument, but if you aren't crushing it 5v5 in goal for and against, then how improtant to the team are you?  Flawed stat, but it shows team results too, when you are on the ice.

Johnny Dangerously with the roughing penalty!!

He just doesn't stop impressing with the 2 goals and sweet feed to Lindholm(for his 35th!).

So the direct correlation of past frustrations with this team vs this team now is the expression on Johnny's face.

The contagions frustration have been replaced by intensity through the lineup.

He's putting the team on his back and I love that for him. He's a special player.

I'm kind of okay with that for us too:)

You can argue, of course, contract year.

That is 2nd for me.

My 1st argument is he's having his Sidney Crosby year. It's taken longer than Sid. But the gist is stop whining about everything and letting extraneous Satoshi Nakamoto get to you. Just play your game.

Of course Sid had better vets around him, and Lemieux.

People are still holding back, saying he goes silent in the playoffs.

Not entirely fair, but noted.

Trending towards beating the 99 point season by 5-11.

But this is a more impressive season.

Not just passing the puck, not just scoring on the PP.

A driving force for the top line.

Don't worry about the Hart, you didn't have a chance.

Focus on the Conn Smythe, where the men play.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Johnny Dangerously with the roughing penalty!!

He just doesn't stop impressing with the 2 goals and sweet feed to Lindholm(for his 35th!).

So the direct correlation of past frustrations with this team vs this team now is the expression on Johnny's face.

The contagions frustration have been replaced by intensity through the lineup.

He's putting the team on his back and I love that for him. He's a special player.

I'm kind of okay with that for us too:)

You can argue, of course, contract year.

That is 2nd for me.

My 1st argument is he's having his Sidney Crosby year. It's taken longer than Sid. But the gist is stop whining about everything and letting extraneous Satoshi Nakamoto get to you. Just play your game.

Of course Sid had better vets around him, and Lemieux.

I think a goal, assist and roughing penalty may be the closest he'll ever get to a Gordie Howe hat trick.  Durzi put on quite a performance in that scrum.

29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think a goal, assist and roughing penalty may be the closest he'll ever get to a Gordie Howe hat trick.  Durzi put on quite a performance in that scrum.

Did Johnny yell "Time to go back to the gym"?

Or "BOOM".

I would laugh if he did.

Actually, his comments were funny, that he was protecting Tkachuk.

I like that.

He's not the wallflower he used to be.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Monahan was dragging Johnny down for two years.

To an extent yes, but remember when a Gaudreau breakaway was just a five-hole attempt and non-event, did anyone ever predict 2 years ago that Gaudreau could set franchise records for EV points and +/-.  We didn't see this Gaudreau on a consistent basis the last 2 years, and really who saw it coming under Darryl Sutter.

22 minutes ago, sak22 said:

To an extent yes, but remember when a Gaudreau breakaway was just a five-hole attempt and non-event, did anyone ever predict 2 years ago that Gaudreau could set franchise records for EV points and +/-.  We didn't see this Gaudreau on a consistent basis the last 2 years, and really who saw it coming under Darryl Sutter.

The only reason I posted it was the very matter of fact way that all of EF's stuff is.  

- He won't re-sign in CGY

- He'll never get past 99 ever again

- If he doesn't show up for the playoffs, nobody will be upset if he walks

I hate the know it all journalism (if you can call it that).  He knows better than everyone else attitude.  The create controversy our of nothing, click-bait articles.  Doubty, Kassian, puck-flip, and so on.  Sutter doesn't have a lot of time for him and tends to correct him more than answer his questions.  And Sutter isn't being a dick, just reacting to one.

51 minutes ago, sak22 said:

My theory only, I felt the breakaway five hole attempts looked like how engaged and happy he was. That might be results driven, but almost looked like a depressed Johnny back then.