UFA 2021

robrob74

On 7/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames will probably need to sign a top 4 LHD in free agency. Here are some options

Alec Martinez- Familiarity with Sutter. I'd stay away from this, the player is coming off a very good season. The soon-to-be 34yr old will command money and likely a 3yr term. It's also very unlikely, Prominent American UFA's seldom sign in Canada.

Alex Edler- This is the most likely signing for the Flames IMO given the amount of Swedes and the Tanev/Markstrom connection. I'd hope for a 1yr deal, but 2 would be the mst I'd go.

Jamie Oleksiak- He would be my top target, unlike most UFA's I think this player hasn't past his prime. There will be lots of competition for the player, may take a 4 or 5yr term to get it done.

Derek Forbort- I think of him more as a 3rd pairing guy, but he did pretty well for the Jets. I think the Flames liked him when he was here. Also some familiarity with the Coach. 

Not a great D UFA class. Other possible options are Jake McCabe, Mike Reilly, Ben Hutton, Goligoski, Kulikov.

Not many players that are truly top 4 D. 

22 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Rasmus Andersson can be that guy. I know we haven’t seen it with the flames yet, but did anyone watch him when he was playing in Stockton? Was he first PP? Did he add to the offense? I know in Barrie he did. He was almost a point per game player there. 

From what I’ve seen of Andersson, they just need to let that pony run and be creative. He’s looked like he has to play in a box after his first year with the flames. There’s definitely more to his game that we haven’t seen yet. If Gio is on the way out, we may actually get to see what Andersson is capable of. I also don’t mind what you did with the D pairings there TD. Looks pretty balanced (offensive / defensive) to me! 

So, imho, this.

Of the current free agent D available, my vote would be to 

Fire BT

lol

And then manage the team properly so that we don't have to continuously make poor decisions and sign boat anchor contracts.  Teams should never be in the position we are in with goaltending and D.   It started with goaltending bandaids and this year we're likely branching out to D bandaids.   

The fact that we don't have a guy we can call up and give more development minutes to is astounding.

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If he gets 8 years, the Oilers can have him.

Gregor so far has been completely wrong in signings.

But, he pumps whatever trade or signing they do make, so expect to hear praises of whatever they do soon.

BTW, they can't take on $6m for Hyman unless they move out Kassian and buy out Neal or Koskinen.

That assues they actuall follow through on signing Barrie long term too.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If he gets 8 years, the Oilers can have him.

Gregor so far has been completely wrong in signings.

But, he pumps whatever trade or signing they do make, so expect to hear praises of whatever they do soon.

BTW, they can't take on $6m for Hyman unless they move out Kassian and buy out Neal or Koskinen.

That assues they actuall follow through on signing Barrie long term too.

The Oil are a mess. 

Multi-year deal for 39yr old Smith. Trying to re-sign Barrie. May as well trade Bouchard then as his bread and butter is the PP.

Can LTIR Klefbom, but even then they need to essentially rebuild their bottom 6 and get a #1 goalie. Maybe they are gonna ride Smith again as the starter...

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Oil are a mess. 

Multi-year deal for 39yr old Smith. Trying to re-sign Barrie. May as well trade Bouchard then as his bread and butter is the PP.

Can LTIR Klefbom, but even then they need to essentially rebuild their bottom 6 and get a #1 goalie. Maybe they are gonna ride Smith again as the starter...

If Klefbom is indeed unavailable, then it's probably less than a full season.

I personally think Kenny was fibbing to protect him.

Was not declared exempt by NHL due to having potential career ending injury.

LTIR will be off by December at latest. 

57 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Oil are a mess. 

They essentially lost their 2nd pairing D for absolutely nothing. Kenny Holland isn’t instilling much faith in the fan base. They’ve now traded Hall and Eberle for essentially nothing, let’s not forget they’re still paying a portion of Lucics contract lol.  A mess is right! For a team that struggled to keep pucks out of their net, this blow to their D corps definitely won’t help. They’ll likely buyout Neal but I think that’s like $2M/per for the next 4 years in dead cap space. Yup! Oilers still being the Oilers 

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Please please please don't come to the Flames

I’m almost positive we will witness the Oilers grossly overpay for Hymans services. They are desperate to do anything to generate a positive buzz for a change. I’m thinking they could go as high 6 yrs @ $6.25M for some Hyman

18 minutes ago, rickross said:

I’m almost positive we will witness the Oilers grossly overpay for Hymans services. They are desperate to do anything to generate a positive buzz for a change. I’m thinking they could go as high 6 yrs @ $6.25M for some Hyman

They are also talking to TO about a sign and trade to get max term.

8 years at an inflated price, plus have to pay TO for that luxury.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's too good to be true.  Don't believe it until I see it.

I don't know what to believe.

There is talk that teams have trades lined up with Seattle based on certain picks they made.

Hyman in Edmonton for a visit.

Would they actually be dumb enough to go for an extra year by making a trade?

Well, I guess he and Nuge can grow old together.

Worst days of the summer in EDM, and they bring in Hyman to show him the city?

I wonder what he could do with McD or Drai?

Are they that much better to play with than Matthews, Marner or Tavares or Nylander?

Wingers that play with McD and Drai tend to end up with 20 or less goals.

That's not exactly a win.

Chaisson and Kassian can get you that.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, if they trade for his rights, then yes that is possible.

I must have missed that segment where he said there was a deal coming.

I heard him talk about Hyman visiting EDM.

Apparently Friedman says alot of stuff........I usually dont pay attention when he opens his mouth.

I wish the Sens had another opening in their front office.

Hyman is not a bad pick-up for the oilers, whose achilles heal remains scoring depth. That said, if they blow all their cap on Hyman they won't have enough to fill out their defense. There's a real possibility that Keith is their second best defensman this year unless one of the young guys takes a step. Couple that with running out Smith as their starter, and they could actually fall below us in the standings. Small improvements to scoring depth don't matter if your defensive game falls off a cliff.

Could still use a buyout and sign a guy like Hamilton, but if there's one location UFAs avoid more than CGY, its EDM. Would cost a very shiny penny to lure him back to Alberta.

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Hyman is not a bad pick-up for the oilers, whose achilles heal remains scoring depth. That said, if they blow all their cap on Hyman they won't have enough to fill out their defense. There's a real possibility that Keith is their second best defensman this year unless one of the young guys takes a step. Couple that with running out Smith as their starter, and they could actually fall below us in the standings. Small improvements to scoring depth don't matter if your defensive game falls off a cliff.

Could still use a buyout and sign a guy like Hamilton, but if there's one location UFAs avoid more than CGY, its EDM. Would cost a very shiny penny to lure him back to Alberta.

It would be an aweful pickup for the Oilers and it will be hard not to laugh when they pull the trigger on it.

their problem is no goaltending and no defence.   like Zero.   That in turn hurts their offense, hurts everything.  there is nothing Hyman can do to help them and they are clueless enough to go all in.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Wonder what proposed pick we sent to acquire Pitlick. Sutter was probably all over this guy 

It would be a 3rd this year or possibly a 4th next year.

Sure, we have 2x3rd both years, but unless it's got retained salary, a depth player should not be worth that much.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Pitlick.  I mean, we refused to pay Hathaway $1.5-mil x 4 and now we get a 29-year-old Pitlick to $1.75... and my hope is he's playing 3rd line but deep down inside, I know he's the new RW for Gaudreau-Monahan.

🤣

I kind of agree. I think Hathaway was overpriced by a little, and maybe you could afford it if you’re not paying Neal or Lucic money for the 3rd line, or Ryan to play on the 4th line. Hathaway was over by about 300-500K. I’d have gone 1M for him. So that’s the problem with overpaying guys. You can’t afford to pay a few guys an extra 200K at the bottom. Every little bit counts.

Maybe it’s a Lucic, Backlund, Pitlick line? 

I don’t know pitlick very much. Is there a site that explains players’ traits and abilities? A lot of what I find are old draft descriptions but they’re only good if the player is young and haven’t defined their roles in the NHL yet. 

if he can kill penalties and play with an edge and actually hit, that might be worth a bit. But not too much. 

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Pitlick.  I mean, we refused to pay Hathaway $1.5-mil x 4 and now we get a 29-year-old Pitlick to $1.75... and my hope is he's playing 3rd line but deep down inside, I know he's the new RW for Gaudreau-Monahan.

Well, it's 1 x $1.75m.  That's a lot different than 4 x $1.5m.  As much as I liked Hathaway, I would have had a problem with that deal.

Here's the thing about this type of player; he's an asset.

Any worse than Goodrow?  Same basic age.

Could he be flipped to a team at TDL if a team needs such a player?

Have we any players that sacrifice the body for the game?  Very few.