UFA 2021

robrob74

39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I disagree, if anything the CEO’s son would be less likely…when’s the last time you have seen or heard of an nhl team CEO be involved in any part of hockey operations? Never, they are money management, infrastructure planning etc…heck, he’s probably never know his son was on the team till later at the dinner table…

anyway, I would have been fully on board, a good player at a good price who cares…player management is all coach and GM stuff doubt there would be any issues whatsoever  

The Flames.  Ken King, Oilers Bob Nicholson, probably many more.  Pointless to keep this discussion going though.

Some thoughts heading in to UFA

Edler makes the most sense as a LHD target. I'd love 1yr, but due to the nature of UFA, the Flames likely have to go 2yrs, at 3-3.5, I'd hope. Either way, it's not a long term commitment and it gives Valimaki time to continue developing on a 3rd pairing.

I'd also look for a RHD to play alongside Valimaki on the 3rd pair. Poolman, Hakanpaa, Bogosian would all be higher on my list than Stone. I'd be fine with bringing back Stone, but I don't think he needs to be an every day player. 

I don't love the backup goalie market. Sutter will play Markstrom a ton, but the Flames need a backup that they can comfortably start for 25-30 games, due to the injury history of Markstrom. Bernier would be my #1 target, we'll see if he signs with CAR though. He recorded his highest sv% under Sutter in LA. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring back Rittich though either. 

Now to the forwards. I have no idea what the trade market will look like, so I'll stay away from that. As built, the Flames need two top 9 RW and a 4th line C.

I'll be honest, I don't see a top 6 winger in UFA worth pursuing.  RHS wise, with Hyman heading to EDM, Palmieri is the most attainable option. I would pass. This free agency class has the feel of 2016, where a lot of bad UFA contracts will be given.

In the bottom 6, any of Cizikas, Martinook, Nosek or Armia could make sense for the Flames. Armia, likely the most costly and therefore, unlikely of that bunch.

I bet the coach feels differently about this than me, but I'd also keep one forward spot open for  a young kid. Set aside a spot and let Phillips/Gawdin/Ruzicka/Pelletier/Zary compete for it. 

Without any trades, this would be my hypothetical lineup. Did my best to maintain as much cap flexibility as possible, because without any trades, the Flames have some big deals to sign in 22/23. 

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Nosek-Backlund-Pitlick

Lucic-Ruzicka-Ritchie

Hanfiin-Tanev

Edler-Andersson

Valimaki-Poolman

Markstrom

Bernier

Again, no idea what the trade market looks like, so I stayed away from that. Also stayed away from anything big in UFA, because I just don't think it's worth it this season.

• Like 1

Virtanen has had a rough career so far. Called out for lack of focus on the game over the past few years, coming into training camp out of shape. That alone is a reason that his buyout makes sense and why he should be avoided.

Initially he was being sued for sexual assault in May but is now being investigated by police for criminal charges. While not in court yet, it is a red flag. If he was at the level of a P. Kane, might be worth a look, but not with the combination of factors currently against him. Once his legal situation clears courts, he is likely headed overseas, even if found not guilty. Either that or heading to a small market, not hockey focused team like Arizona.

• Like 2

Even without the legal troubles I don’t think he’d be worth it. He’s just not a very good player and certainly not good enough to be worth the headache of being out of shape or work ethic questions. 

but with the legal troubles, hard pass. 

Depends on what level of D you want / expect. 

Suter, Yandle and Edler are all experienced, solid defenders but definitely not going to be in Norris discussions anymore. Cost would likely be reasonable but shouldn’t be considered for top pair anymore. I would prefer younger at same or lower cost.

Dougie Hamilton is likely the top name available but also highest cap hit and I would say that ship has sailed.

When it comes to age, price and results, my targets would be Nemeth and Montour. Neither should likely be top pair, but they would allow for more balance on D. 

Hanifin Tanev

Nemeth Andersson 

Valimaki Montour

Young guy with experienced guy. None are fully top pair, none fully bottom pair. Just 3 solid D pairs to play even minutes.

13 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Depends on what level of D you want / expect. 

Suter, Yandle and Edler are all experienced, solid defenders but definitely not going to be in Norris discussions anymore. Cost would likely be reasonable but shouldn’t be considered for top pair anymore. I would prefer younger at same or lower cost.

Dougie Hamilton is likely the top name available but also highest cap hit and I would say that ship has sailed.

When it comes to age, price and results, my targets would be Nemeth and Montour. Neither should likely be top pair, but they would allow for more balance on D. 

Hanifin Tanev

Nemeth Andersson 

Valimaki Montour

Young guy with experienced guy. None are fully top pair, none fully bottom pair. Just 3 solid D pairs to play even minutes.

This makes sense, especially where it balances out the D 

Rumors have Suter getting multi year offers as high as 4 years. I'd pass on that one. 

I think your going to see interest from the Flames in Edler. Might not land him but I think there is a good fit there. Jake McCabe is still the guy I hope the Flames are interested in. 

I don't think Montour is going to be an option for the Flames. Doesn't really fit their style. 

• Like 1

That Kase trade really didn't work at all for the Bruins. 20 games and 0 goals. 

He hasn't been able to stay healthy, but he's worth a look on a cheap 1 yr deal. 

Also from the Bruins, Nick Ritchie could be worth a look. Brings some size to the bottom 6 and can score. Re-unite the Ritchie brothers. 

Quite a few intriguing fits from the Unqualified lists yesterday. 

Ritchie is a great skill fit but i'm not sure I see the fit unless they plan on moving on some LWs 

Kase for sure is worth a look. Injury prone yes but worth the flyer as he should be cheap. Great skill fit. 

If the Flames are not going to bring back Ryan, looking like it, then I think either Piue Suter or Lucas Wallmark would be good fits. 

If they are looking for some PK help then Danton Heinen could be a fit but he'd have to be pretty cheap. Not a great 5 on 5 player. 

For me Landeskog is the best option out there. Power forward can score has a mean streak and captain material. If you bring him in than one of JG, Matthew has to leave. One has to consider who drives the play more for Landeskog and Lindholm.  In a dream world just work with me here one could do Eichel and Landeskog a the same time. Really Matthew is going to cost you the same as landeskog maybe a little more, we have 18 Million in cap sapce plus you dont need Monahan or Backs, it could work. The movement of MT, Monahan and say Valimaki opens up more cap space than what is required to fill in for Eichel, actually just shy of 14 million. With Eichel eating 10 of that leaves 4 milliom ish remaining. We now have 22 million to work with. Landeskog now has 8.5 of that we still have 13.5 Million left. We now have 2 franchise players in one swoop. 

Landeskog Eichel JG as a first line is elite prove me wrong. 

You still have Lindholm, Backs down the middle as well as Mags, Dube on the wings. 

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

For me Landeskog is the best option out there. Power forward can score has a mean streak and captain material. If you bring him in than one of JG, Matthew has to leave. One has to consider who drives the play more for Landeskog and Lindholm.  In a dream world just work with me here one could do Eichel and Landeskog a the same time. Really Matthew is going to cost you the same as landeskog maybe a little more, we have 18 Million in cap sapce plus you dont need Monahan or Backs, it could work. The movement of MT, Monahan and say Valimaki opens up more cap space than what is required to fill in for Eichel, actually just shy of 14 million. With Eichel eating 10 of that leaves 4 milliom ish remaining. We now have 22 million to work with. Landeskog now has 8.5 of that we still have 13.5 Million left. We now have 2 franchise players in one swoop. 

Landeskog Eichel JG as a first line is elite prove me wrong. 

You still have Lindholm, Backs down the middle as well as Mags, Dube on the wings. 

Friedman is saying that COL is trying to get him done at 7 x $7m or at worst 8 x $7m.

That only makes sense to us if we are trading Tkachuk.

I don't see how we can do both this and also trade for Eichel without creating more holes.

I just don't see how trading Monahan, Tkachuk and Valimaki makes us better.

We still have a hole on RW.

Gaudreau isn't the right fit there.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Friedman is saying that COL is trying to get him done at 7 x $7m or at worst 8 x $7m.

That only makes sense to us if we are trading Tkachuk.

I don't see how we can do both this and also trade for Eichel without creating more holes.

I just don't see how trading Monahan, Tkachuk and Valimaki makes us better.

We still have a hole on RW.

Gaudreau isn't the right fit there.

If you belive that Eichel and Landeskog are not a vast improvement over Monahan and Matthew I am not sure what to say. AS much as everyone has a man crush on Matthew really you have to give to get. Eichel and Landeskog move the needle a hell of lot furhter than the other 2, and Holes what holes? Yuo have Landeskog for Matthew and Eichel for Monahan not sure how anyone cant see that as a huge upgrade. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t see Landeakog entertaining the idea of signing with Calgary, unless the Flames throw crazy money at him like 9.5x7

If they sign Edler he basically gets to play with his national team. 

got to be worth something.. maybe..🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

If you belive that Eichel and Landeskog are not a vast improvement over Monahan and Matthew I am not sure what to say. AS much as everyone has a man crush on Matthew really you have to give to get. Eichel and Landeskog move the needle a hell of lot furhter than the other 2, and Holes what holes? Yuo have Landeskog for Matthew and Eichel for Monahan not sure how anyone cant see that as a huge upgrade. 

What I am saying is you have the same holes.

You replace a LW with a C and a C with a LW.

Tkachuk has been effective on RW, while I have my doubts that Gaudreau would be as effective.

What does that 2nd line look like?

You have Landeskog-Eichel-Gaudreau.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm?

No 3rd line C.

Or perhaps you have Mangiapane-Lindholm-Dube.

Is that a step up?

I am one of the people that would make the trade of Tkachuk for Eichel.

Losing Monahan and gaining a winger in FA, not as much.

I have to believe that you are saying trade Tkachuk, Monahan and Valiamaki for Eichel.

If so, that is way more than I am willing to give up.

If it's not, then what are you getting for Monahan to improve the team.

I'm curious where who we should be looking at for a backup.

Brossoit and Mzarek have about the best SA% of available UFA's.

Brossoit probably a bit cheape, assuming he makes it to FA.

Jones and Holtby being bought out, but they were both sub par last year.

Raanta used to be good, but I'm a little concerned about injury history.