UFA 2021

robrob74

I would imagine the Flames will be in on Blake Coleman.

I doubt they get him and it likely takes the Backlund contract to have him consider the Flames. 5.35x6. That's a lot of money and term for a 29yr old, but they'd have to pay to get a 2 time champ and an American to choose Calgary over every other team.

People try to understand that just because you say something does not make it right. Eichel is not being traded for roster players alone. There will be pieces as in high end prospect and first round picks that will easily make this team weaker down the road. Even if we all could say that such a trade makes us better right away there are still a few factors to consider. Will Eichel be healthy and recover from his coming surgery fully? What kind of future will we have after giving a first round pick and multiple high end prospect? If Jack Eichel never recovers fully or loses a step or 2 are we going to be happy with the cost to acquire him while still paying his salary?

I love the "idea" of a number one center in his prime do not get me wrong. I just do not like the risk to reward equation.

Just me saying this but Can we not find a trade out there that is less risk and more certainty for a lesser price?

I understand swinging big but this is scary, it could actually end up Eichel has the surgery and never plays again. We would then have paid a king's ransom for a spot on our LTIR.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would imagine the Flames will be in on Blake Coleman.

I doubt they get him and it likely takes the Backlund contract to have him consider the Flames. 5.35x6. That's a lot of money and term for a 29yr old, but they'd have to pay to get a 2 time champ and an American to choose Calgary over every other team.

He was a winger in Tampa right?

A LHS LW.

I don't see the fit with us.

For the money he will command, he has to be a top 6 RW or C.

As much as Hyman is going to be overpaid, at least he fits the need here.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was a winger in Tampa right?

A LHS LW.

I don't see the fit with us.

For the money he will command, he has to be a top 6 RW or C.

As much as Hyman is going to be overpaid, at least he fits the need here.

He plays both sides.

I'm not particularly interested, I think the player has won two cups and will simply go to the highest bidder. 

He brings a lot of what Hyman does, which is why the Flames having interest wouldn't surprise me. 

On 7/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, bosn111 said:

Depends on what level of D you want / expect. 

Suter, Yandle and Edler are all experienced, solid defenders but definitely not going to be in Norris discussions anymore. Cost would likely be reasonable but shouldn’t be considered for top pair anymore. I would prefer younger at same or lower cost.

Dougie Hamilton is likely the top name available but also highest cap hit and I would say that ship has sailed.

When it comes to age, price and results, my targets would be Nemeth and Montour. Neither should likely be top pair, but they would allow for more balance on D. 

Hanifin Tanev

Nemeth Andersson 

Valimaki Montour

Young guy with experienced guy. None are fully top pair, none fully bottom pair. Just 3 solid D pairs to play even minutes.

I agree with your D picks. Nemeth's a good safe play at the right price. Montour is likely to get paid, great PP QB.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd be interested in guys like Coleman and Danault, just not a 5mil price tag for 3mil players.

I think Danault is worth the $5m. Doesn’t score a lot but shuts down the other team effectively and gets quite a few apples for setting up his teammates. My desire is he is a Backlund replacement. I wouldn’t want to have both. 

• Like 1

Starting to see players staying in good situations rather than try and test for more money. Taylor Hall,Mike Reilly and Montour all could have maybe made more money I think they all made good choices to stay. 

I like Coleman as a player but unless they have some big moves in mind he doesn’t make a lot of sense and the 5X5 he’s being rumored at. 

• Like 1

I am not sure how much truth there is to this but I have read that PIT has decided to move on from Zucker, also they had called Calgary and inquired about Lucic. It most likely would take a sweetener on our end but if this was to get done there would be a better balance on the wings and we could then be able to look at the other Ritchie brother as a physical replacement to Lucic with a little more offense. 

Feel's like a good fit all around. Also a finish to the trade that never was....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I am not sure how much truth there is to this but I have read that PIT has decided to move on from Zucker, also they had called Calgary and inquired about Lucic. It most likely would take a sweetener on our end but if this was to get done there would be a better balance on the wings and we could then be able to look at the other Ritchie brother as a physical replacement to Lucic with a little more offense. 

Feel's like a good fit all around. Also a finish to the trade that never was....

I’m all for everything you posted here. 

Ok here is one more I read as a rumor. The Voracek, Atkins trade was a trade to tie into a Gaudreau extensions and trade to Philly. This sounds less likely but a read that :

Calgary gets:

Couturier, Atkins and a first

Philly gets:

Johnny, Dube

Clb gets:

A D man from one of the two teams for the added salary they took in the previous deal.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Starting to see players staying in good situations rather than try and test for more money. Taylor Hall,Mike Reilly and Montour all could have maybe made more money I think they all made good choices to stay. 

I like Coleman as a player but unless they have some big moves in mind he doesn’t make a lot of sense and the 5X5 he’s being rumored at. 

Further proof

26 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Ok here is one more I read as a rumor. The Voracek, Atkins trade was a trade to tie into a Gaudreau extensions and trade to Philly. This sounds less likely but a read that :

Calgary gets:

Couturier, Atkins and a first

Philly gets:

Johnny, Dube

Clb gets:

A D man from one of the two teams for the added salary they took in the previous deal.

What's the prize?

Coutourier a pending UFA at the end of the year? 

Atkinson?

A first?

Personally I could think of dozens of better trades. I just think the reason this was in some article may have to do with the doubt people have towards Johnny staying here and trying to get something before using him as a deadline asset.

I think Johnny is more likely to want to extend with us than Tkachuk. But does that mean that we then trade Chucky for Tarasenko and maybe Kyrou? Or More if he is extended first. I just do not see this team succeeding in the future without a bigger change. These 2 guys are the only way I see enough of a change happening to actually make a difference.

Either way I am certain I will be disappointed in the return, or at the fact that nothing will happen at all.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

same with Landeskog. He stayed on the cheap! Good situation. This is how I think some players have to think, leave a touch on the table to be a competitive team? Maybe.

• Like 1

Ok here is a crazy idea, BT has been extremely quiet so far, I’m wondering if he’s gonna pull off a major surprise signing and bring back Hamilton.

granted he’s a soft big D, RS, RD but, he could plug some holes on the back end, but again where to slot him, I’m thinking:

Hanifin/Hamilton 

Valimaki/Anderson

Mackey or Kylington/Tanev 

if and only if, cause it’s rumoured he’s looking at NJD, but if this were to happen, Is this an upgrade or just paying more for about the same as last year?