2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

52 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I mean, Sutter thought that Valamaki and Dube were starting to get complacent and I think maybe he is trying to get them away from that kind of game. Most of the team plays it, but maybe the fact they're young and seen as a future player, he wants to make sure they continue to bring it? Hard to say. 

While it's okay to call out players after a bad game, when they showed little interest or compete, I disagree that Valimaki was ever complacent.

Afraid to make a mistake?  Sure.

But what about other players that escape the public comments?

And what does it say when a player makes a bad decision and is sat while another makes an equally bad decision and plays normal minutes?

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Is it personnel?  Management?  We need new owners?  We need a new mascot?

Specifically, where do we begin?

Fans and media.  Same story in 6 other markets in this country.  Reduce the pressure, and stop treating 18 year olds like gods at a young age and maybe things will change in this country.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

While it's okay to call out players after a bad game, when they showed little interest or compete, I disagree that Valimaki was ever complacent.

Afraid to make a mistake?  Sure.

But what about other players that escape the public comments?

And what does it say when a player makes a bad decision and is sat while another makes an equally bad decision and plays normal minutes?

I am not saying I agree with it, and I agree with you. I get pissed off when some players get off free. I think it causes resentment. I get they're professionals, but you can't lie to players, they know who is trying and who isn't, or those that consistently make mistakes (yet get rewarded despite it). 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Fans and media.  Same story in 6 other markets in this country.  Reduce the pressure, and stop treating 18 year olds like gods at a young age and maybe things will change in this country.

That is an interesting way to look at it. It can make sense. If you look at Baertschi, he had the keys to the city before he laced up for the Flames, and was immediately told that he was the heir apparent to Iginla. 

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am not saying I agree with it, and I agree with you. I get pissed off when some players get off free. I think it causes resentment. I get they're professionals, but you can't lie to players, they know who is trying and who isn't, or those that consistently make mistakes (yet get rewarded despite it). 

Maybe what Lucic said is accurate and warranted, but it perpetuates the belief of a country club atmosphere.  

I didn't see a lot of players mailing it in, with the exception of Bennett (at times), Tkachuk and Gaudreau (also at times) and maybe Backlund.

Even Lucic gave up on plays.

On the flip side, I didn't see a lot of players throwing their body in the way of shots.

Tanev, Gio Ras, Valimaki and Stone the only ones with more than one per game.

Our best PK'ers with less than one every two games (Lindholm, Mangiapane, Ryan and Backlund)

Soft board battles.

50/50 plays where they lost the battle.

Maybe I'm asking a bit much to do it all season.  It's a lost art.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:59 AM, The_People1 said:

1. First order of business, offer Gaudreau an 8-year extension at around $8-mil-per as soon as UFA season begins.  I know some may think he's not worth it but that's the going rate.  We buying all of his UFA years so, there's a premium to pay.  He's still a 65-to-85-point player.

2a.  If he signs an extension, then we keep building to win right away.  This should dispel all rumours that Gaudreau doesn't want to be here in Calgary and the team can move forward with Gaudreau in their long term plans.

2b.  If he doesn't sign, then trade him immediately.  We can't afford to lose him to UFA next summer for nothing.

(not sure if legal but...)

2c.  If he doesn't sign, then ask him if he'd like to go to PHI or NJ... and give PHI and/or NJ permission to negotiate a contract extension with Gaudreau.  It will be a sign and trade deal.  PHI/NJ will get Gaudreau for up to 9-years.  This lets the Flames get a better player in return than to trade Gaudreau with one-year remaining.

If Gaudreau signs,

3a. Promote Mangiapane/Dube to top 6 full time... trade Tkachuk+Zary+1st for Eichel.  I think this offer gets it done and with Eichel, I expect the Flames to be a playoff team so our 1st won't be a lotto pick.  Eichel is RHS C so we could either move Lindholm to RW or push him down to 2nd line Center and trade Monahan or Backlund... 

I would go from there.

Horrible TD…no to trading Tachuck and Zary…that other fella Phillips or whatever the year before ok…the 1st rounder…ok…but Zary and Tachuck aught to be non starters unless you trade everyone 

I'm not really a big believer in the idea that the Flames have an issue with this being a "country club" as I think that implies that they don't care, don't work hard or don't care about winning. None of that is fair IMO nor do I think Valimaki/Dube have anything to do with that either. Something to keep in mind if you want to play the entitlement card is i'm not sure we've seen a player who was given more by this organization than Dion Phaneuf. THAT was a player who was very entitled and Sutter let it happen. For the record, I actually don't' have a problem with it either because you should treat your stars differently. 

I think the problems with the organization stem from a lack of cohesive direction. The direction always seems to be to just get into the playoffs and see what happens, which tends to lead to a more of a "flavor of the month approach". 04-06 they build a team that was deep, responsible defensively, good goaltending but lacked the high end talent/scoring ability. So at the price of their depth and their future they went out and tried to acquire those pieces (Langkow, Tanguay, Jokinen) and for the next several years had a good high end team but no depth. Injuries destroyed them and their bottom 6 was basically useless and it prevented them from doing anything in the playoffs. Then they reversed that approach, tried to go back to the depth model but by that time their high end talent was aging and because they never seem to care about their feature everything blew up on them.  So you "rebuild" to try and get the high end talent and rebuild that future but you never full commit to it so instead of building an organization that could finally have both (the depth AND the high end talent) you wind up with a group more on the high end talent side, but not so much on the depth side. That didn't work (Colorado series) because maybe our high end isn't as good as we thought so now let's go back to the depth side of things and try that approach because we aren't going to back and rebuild so quick after the last one. 

Throughout all of that you are having to constantly change coaches to fit the new direction, or you just make bad hires, so you can never really develop a culture. On top of that they've had a combination of bad GMs and too much turnover at the GM spot which is constantly changing the type of team they are after. To make matters worse the Flames org has never really seem to understand that as a small market Canadian team your are going to be a little limited in what type of player acquisition modes are available to you. Many others deal with this, but because they never fully commit to an approach you are going to leave gaps but leaving gaps trying to be filled through FA when not many want to come here is setting yourself up for failure. 

Much of this is over simplifying things but at a high level that's my problem with the organization and it's why I'm an advocate for the Flames hiring a president of hockey ops model because I think to fix this you need to answer 2 question:

1. What type of hockey team and org do we want to be which leads to what type of attributes are we going to scout/acquire for. 

2. How do we recognize we are a small market club and build around that to produce a more sustainable product? 

There is a life cycle to those decisions, which is why having a POHO could allow them to make GM changes or some personnel changes in Hockey ops without completing shifting the focus of the organization. 

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Much of this is over simplifying things but at a high level that's my problem with the organization and it's why I'm an advocate for the Flames hiring a president of hockey ops model because I think to fix this you need to answer 2 question:

1. What type of hockey team and org do we want to be which leads to what type of attributes are we going to scout/acquire for. 

2. How do we recognize we are a small market club and build around that to produce a more sustainable product? 

Yes.  Love it or hate it, you at least knew where Burkie stood.

But, I feel we are missing the skill in evaluating the necessary skills you try to get.

In some ways the players we targeted were all over the map in types, but it seems lke they weren't always good in what they were known for.

Saying that, you can't just collect parts and expect them to fit, when your core group isn't even constructed 100% correctly.

The line "hard to play against" doesn't cut it for me.

Can't be hard without a punishing defense.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Don Maloney is Vice-POHO... What does that mean?  Is he not basically the guy supposedly in charge?

No, Treliving is on top of the hockey ops. 

Maloney is the experienced guy in the room, work alongside Treliving to provide insight/guidance but he reports to Treliving. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yes.  Love it or hate it, you at least knew where Burkie stood.

But, I feel we are missing the skill in evaluating the necessary skills you try to get.

In some ways the players we targeted were all over the map in types, but it seems lke they weren't always good in what they were known for.

Saying that, you can't just collect parts and expect them to fit, when your core group isn't even constructed 100% correctly.

The line "hard to play against" doesn't cut it for me.

Can't be hard without a punishing defense.

yup! 

I think there needs to be a good mix of hard and mobile. Right now we are pretty easy. Gio has been an aggressive, well position D, but it wasn’t until we got Hamonic that we had a bit more bite in the lineup. He still wasn’t punishing enough. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

No, Treliving is on top of the hockey ops. 

Maloney is the experienced guy in the room, work alongside Treliving to provide insight/guidance but he reports to Treliving. 

can we see BT move up to only POHO?

On June 27, 2021 at 10:34 PM, The_People1 said:

Is it personnel?  Management?  We need new owners?  We need a new mascot?

Specifically, where do we begin?

Much like everything it starts at the top and runs downhill. The true facts are Sutter was brought in because the effort was not there. So how the F do you hava a group that doesnt compete at a NHL level or speed and have to hire a coach to corr t it. If the playeres tune out ship them out. The facts are is we get recycled garbage for ufas cause its a Satoshi Nakamototy run organization, we are place to come when your ob rhe downcycle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think the problems with the organization stem from a lack of cohesive direction. The direction always seems to be to just get into the playoffs and see what happens, which tends to lead to a more of a "flavor of the month approach".

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Much like everything it starts at the top and runs downhill. The true facts are Sutter was brought in because the effort was not there. So how the F do you hava a group that doesnt compete at a NHL level or speed and have to hire a coach to corr t it. If the playeres tune out ship them out. The facts are is we get recycled garbage for ufas cause its a Satoshi Nakamototy run organization, we are place to come when your ob rhe downcycle

Two things.

1.  I believe exactly that we have no direction.  We should've been in a 5 year rebuild starting 2013.  We let one fluke playoff win steer us off course.  Every season after that, it's targeting the flavor of the month and now we are between a puck and a hard place.  This core is not old enough to blow it up and yet, not talented enough underneath to further realize growth with more development.

2.  I believe the give a crap meter is very high on this team.  They all come to play.  At some point, it's time to accept the fact that this team has average talent and gets average results.  Stop this, "if we just came to play hard every game then we will win every game!"  NO.  Please stop.  Even if we play hard every single game, this is the result.  That's it.  Accept it.  We fluked that one year to become #1 in the Conference.  More like, we fluked for 3 months and then we got exposed as a one trick pony the rest of the way.  Also, Giordano played out of his mind for 5 years and where he went, the team went.  Now that he's aged, it's become so clear.  Almost every player is entering their prime and yet, we have only been as good as Giordano was.  Moving forward, it's over for us.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Two things.

1.  I believe exactly that we have no direction.  We should've been in a 5 year rebuild starting 2013.  We let one fluke playoff win steer us off course.  Every season after that, it's targeting the flavor of the month and now we are between a puck and a hard place.  This core is not old enough to blow it up and yet, not talented enough underneath to further realize growth with more development.

2.  I believe the give a crap meter is very high on this team.  They all come to play.  At some point, it's time to accept the fact that this team has average talent and gets average results.  Stop this, "if we just came to play hard every game then we will win every game!"  NO.  Please stop.  Even if we play hard every single game, this is the result.  That's it.  Accept it.  We fluked that one year to become #1 in the Conference.  More like, we fluked for 3 months and then we got exposed as a one trick pony the rest of the way.  Also, Giordano played out of his mind for 5 years and where he went, the team went.  Now that he's aged, it's become so clear.  Almost every player is entering their prime and yet, we have only been as good as Giordano was.  Moving forward, it's over for us.

I actually don’t agree with that part. They come to play when it’s easy or when it suits them. They take crappy teams for granted and lose a ton to Ottawa. They didn’t play most of the season. They’re not consistent enough.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually don’t agree with that part. They come to play when it’s easy or when it suits them. They take crappy teams for granted and lose a ton to Ottawa. They didn’t play most of the season. They’re not consistent enough.

I agree with Rob because this is my exact problem with this team. There's maybe but a handful of players that show they give a crap night in and out. Tkachuk is that type of player, but we saw what happened to him this season when the rest of the team doesn't see it the same way... and effectively told him to "calm down" or "take it easy". They don't want to battle every night, y'know! (sarcasm) Chucky totally became a shell of himself, which is what most of the players on this team are. I'd list Mange, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Tanev, and Andersson as guys who don't just say they want to win but actually PUSH to win. Actions speak louder than words, so while everyone will say they want to win, who's really putting in all their effort to get that result? Not enough if you ask me. Montreal is where they are because everyone is pulling their weight whether they're 1st or 4th line. The differences between us and them is clear. 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Two things.

Well, we tried to take steps forward with UFA signings and trades.

Whether we cut out of the rebuild too early or not, we failed to take the right steps.

Dougie was a smart trade.

Hamonic was not.

Brouwer and Neal were huge mistakes based on poor scouting.

Markstrom and Tanev were recognizing the lack of a starter and a tough D-man.

This past summer we did nothing else to improve the team.

We don't have the top talent that some teams have, but let's be honest only a few teams actually do.

Tampa and VGK have talent for sure, but it's deep.

For us to move on, we need to address the lack of depth.

5 of 6 required for a top 6.

1 of 3 for a 3rd line.

Prospects only for a 4th line. 

An aging top D and one shutdown D.

A decent 2/3 young LD and similar RD.

A decent prospect/young LD.

No backup.

A few things that are preventing that from being addressed.

The expansion draft throws a wrench into trades right now.

We have $6.75m + $5.35m + $5.25m on three players 32 years and older.

We didn't explore what we had in prospects last year when we were almost guaranteed to miss the playoffs.

Even though those 3 players contributed to the team, their time to be part of the solution is drawing to a close.

My wish list:

A top D, not just another 2/3.

A #1 or #2C that drives play.

A bona fide scoring threat (30+ goals per year) for RW.

A 4th line that challenges other teams.

30 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I agree with Rob because this is my exact problem with this team. There's maybe but a handful of players that show they give a crap night in and out. Tkachuk is that type of player, but we saw what happened to him this season when the rest of the team doesn't see it the same way... and effectively told him to "calm down" or "take it easy". They don't want to battle every night, y'know! (sarcasm) Chucky totally became a shell of himself, which is what most of the players on this team are. I'd list Mange, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Tanev, and Andersson as guys who don't just say they want to win but actually PUSH to win. Actions speak louder than words, so while everyone will say they want to win, who's really putting in all their effort to get that result? Not enough if you ask me. Montreal is where they are because everyone is pulling their weight whether they're 1st or 4th line. The differences between us and them is clear. 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we tried to take steps forward with UFA signings and trades.

Whether we cut out of the rebuild too early or not, we failed to take the right steps.

Dougie was a smart trade.

Hamonic was not.

Brouwer and Neal were huge mistakes based on poor scouting.

Markstrom and Tanev were recognizing the lack of a starter and a tough D-man.

This past summer we did nothing else to improve the team.

We don't have the top talent that some teams have, but let's be honest only a few teams actually do.

Tampa and VGK have talent for sure, but it's deep.

For us to move on, we need to address the lack of depth.

5 of 6 required for a top 6.

1 of 3 for a 3rd line.

Prospects only for a 4th line. 

An aging top D and one shutdown D.

A decent 2/3 young LD and similar RD.

A decent prospect/young LD.

No backup.

A few things that are preventing that from being addressed.

The expansion draft throws a wrench into trades right now.

We have $6.75m + $5.35m + $5.25m on three players 32 years and older.

We didn't explore what we had in prospects last year when we were almost guaranteed to miss the playoffs.

Even though those 3 players contributed to the team, their time to be part of the solution is drawing to a close.

My wish list:

A top D, not just another 2/3.

A #1 or #2C that drives play.

A bona fide scoring threat (30+ goals per year) for RW.

A 4th line that challenges other teams.

I mean, Honestly though, I stopped watching the last handful of games, so maybe their give a crap meter got switched on, but for me it was too late. The games didn't matter anymore. They weren't mathematically eliminated, but there just was no way they were making it, and it was still too painful to see. Sutter was still using a similar roster and it just wasn't working, until he changed it up a bit. Is it a real win for them to have won out the season and "steadied the ship?" It's easy to start concentrating on what needs to be fixed when nothing matters. There's no pressure. By then, other teams have started to not take them as seriously as they did at throughout the season.

I think that was what was wrong with the year they made the playoffs under Hartley. Other teams didn't take them seriously and the Flames made them pay (to their credit for taking advantage of that). 

Ya, I think that BT was banking on the team being slightly better this year with basically staying the same or being slightly better. Trading out Tanev for Brodie was kind of equal, but banking on Markstrom making up the difference with less goals scored against was supposed to move the needle. With Tanev, the D was slightly harder to play against, but it's like you have said in the past, Andersson and Giordano were terrible fits. They needed to address that situation a lot sooner. 

Are there any top D in UFA? If not, how much is it going to cost to trade for one? 

How much will a RW cost, and if we are trading for a top D, can we afford to trade for a RW that works? This why I think BT is going to use draft picks to fill holes, like in the Dougie and Hamonic deals. The window is already closing with this group, while I never really saw it as opened quite yet, because for me they were always a few pieces away. 

This year and last year would have been good years to completely bottom out. Maybe not for the quality of players at the top of the draft, but to get some NHL players early in the draft that are closer to playing than our current prospects. We just don't have enough prospects that are going to pushing the needle. I know I will get flack for saying that. Posters seem to like proof to back up the opinion. 

For me, who is pushing? 

Philips. is he fast enough or shifty enough to make up for the size? He is someone close to ready but do we have too many smaller forwards? Can he play C? He is listed as a C/RW... Maybe we can bring him up. Sign Ryan to a 1 year 1.5m contract to mentor Phillips? Or do you play him with Backlund? Maybe Phillips is the one taken by the Kraken in the end? Or we trade a 3rd rounder to keep Giordano and that's who they take... I think if we do the trade to protect, I don't think it will be a 1st rounder, because if I were BT I'd just say, I don't need to keep Giordano that bad... They counter until we say, ya, that would work. We love Giordano, but can't afford to keep him with a 1st, but maybe a deeper pick?

I just feel like it's going to be tough to fill all of the holes in this team. We need to really look at ourselves in the mirror and admit defeat and go for a quick retool. I feel silly because we bash the Oilers and the Sabres so often and feel like we are only slightly better. 

Do you think we could get a high 1st round for Gio not that would want to trade him but we are limited in trade options and I want to keep MrT for sure he is still a young kid with lots of promise don't want to do another Bennett and watch him produce else were while we pickup up another crap pick or player the other team is trying to remove any way. After the pickups we got for Bennett BT should have been removed Bennett had way more to offer us even if he doesn't score he is tough and does his job in other aspects and now we have 2 seconds and the one that is ready to play will never end up in Canada probably not even in the A.

9 minutes ago, zima said:

Do you think we could get a high 1st round for Gio not that would want to trade him but we are limited in trade options and I want to keep MrT for sure he is still a young kid with lots of promise don't want to do another Bennett and watch him produce else were while we pickup up another crap pick or player the other team is trying to remove any way. After the pickups we got for Bennett BT should have been removed Bennett had way more to offer us even if he doesn't score he is tough and does his job in other aspects and now we have 2 seconds and the one that is ready to play will never end up in Canada probably not even in the A.

Yup!

I think we saw a really dejected Bennett this year though. Lucic called out some of the team, and some here think it could have been Bennett as one of the players he was referring to. I think he was just really deflated once training camp started and he was placed on the 4th line with scrubs again. I get it, you gotta play your way up the lineup. But Dube got rewarded after a good playoff, Bennett got demoted after a good playoff. Lucic got a slight promotion/stayed the same, but got Backlund as his C. Bennett got guys who were barely NHLers again. I think BT did a good job with the Bennett deal. I was worried we would have gotten a 3rd rounder. For me, it was painfully obvious Bennett needed to be traded 2 or 3 years ago when he was never going to get a chance to center decent wingers. As a winger, he is all over the place trying to play like a C. 

You're right, we do lose his intangibles and are now going to have to pay to try and get them back. We say the 4th line is easy to fill, but we seem to fill it with players who have Bennett's intangibles but have no other qualities so they play 4-6 minutes a night. What they should have done was bring up Phillips, play him with Bennett on the 4th line, along with Dube or something like that? Play Ryan with Backlund and Lucic on the shutdown line. They could have put Mangiapane with Gaudreau and Monahan, or with Tkachuk and Lindholm. 

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I mean, Honestly though, I stopped watching the last handful of games, so maybe their give a crap meter got switched on, but for me it was too late. The games didn't matter anymore. They weren't mathematically eliminated, but there just was no way they were making it, and it was still too painful to see. Sutter was still using a similar roster and it just wasn't working, until he changed it up a bit. Is it a real win for them to have won out the season and "steadied the ship?" It's easy to start concentrating on what needs to be fixed when nothing matters. There's no pressure. By then, other teams have started to not take them as seriously as they did at throughout the season.

I think that was what was wrong with the year they made the playoffs under Hartley. Other teams didn't take them seriously and the Flames made them pay (to their credit for taking advantage of that). 

Ya, I think that BT was banking on the team being slightly better this year with basically staying the same or being slightly better. Trading out Tanev for Brodie was kind of equal, but banking on Markstrom making up the difference with less goals scored against was supposed to move the needle. With Tanev, the D was slightly harder to play against, but it's like you have said in the past, Andersson and Giordano were terrible fits. They needed to address that situation a lot sooner. 

Are there any top D in UFA? If not, how much is it going to cost to trade for one? 

How much will a RW cost, and if we are trading for a top D, can we afford to trade for a RW that works? This why I think BT is going to use draft picks to fill holes, like in the Dougie and Hamonic deals. The window is already closing with this group, while I never really saw it as opened quite yet, because for me they were always a few pieces away. 

This year and last year would have been good years to completely bottom out. Maybe not for the quality of players at the top of the draft, but to get some NHL players early in the draft that are closer to playing than our current prospects. We just don't have enough prospects that are going to pushing the needle. I know I will get flack for saying that. Posters seem to like proof to back up the opinion. 

Limited quote to shorten the post.

When we traded for Dougie and Hammer we were in a much different situation than today.

I don't believe he will use similar tactics to make us whole.

Maybe he sends a 1st for a top D younger player with term.

Would that even be wrong?

How about we trade for Dumba, since he will be lost anyway.

We then expose both Gio and Tanev or offer a minor piece for not selecting Tanev.

Let's face it, the real core of the team is still young to work with and build around.

We don't need Backlund, Gio and Lucic unless we are competing for the cup.

Solving that problem is key to BT.

It may be painful at first, but we should recognize it.

Any trade to fix the roster should take place after the draft.

Should be a lot of movement.

Maybe target Garland as a RFA.

Just some thoughts.