2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

This season is finally over. What changes would you make?

Would you keep Treliving?

Would you re-sign any of the Flames pending UFA's?

What about RFA's? What do Dube's and Valimaki's next deals look like?

It's a decent crop of UFA's, any of interest?

I'll start with two things that should be priorities for the Flames.

1. Find out if Gaudreau truly wants to stay or not. Make him a fair offer and if he doesn't take it, you trade him. Ideally, this is done before the new league year because at that point Gaudreau gets his M-NTC and you can only deal him to 5 teams without his permission. The Flames can't afford to walk him to free agency.
  2. It's time to show Mangiapane that he's a key piece of this team going forward. I'd love to see the Flames give him an extension prior to next season. The way he's going, that price is only going to go up. I'd be very open to a long term deal with Mang, if I'm the Flames. 

1. First order of business, offer Gaudreau an 8-year extension at around $8-mil-per as soon as UFA season begins.  I know some may think he's not worth it but that's the going rate.  We buying all of his UFA years so, there's a premium to pay.  He's still a 65-to-85-point player.

2a.  If he signs an extension, then we keep building to win right away.  This should dispel all rumours that Gaudreau doesn't want to be here in Calgary and the team can move forward with Gaudreau in their long term plans.

2b.  If he doesn't sign, then trade him immediately.  We can't afford to lose him to UFA next summer for nothing.

(not sure if legal but...)

2c.  If he doesn't sign, then ask him if he'd like to go to PHI or NJ... and give PHI and/or NJ permission to negotiate a contract extension with Gaudreau.  It will be a sign and trade deal.  PHI/NJ will get Gaudreau for up to 9-years.  This lets the Flames get a better player in return than to trade Gaudreau with one-year remaining.

If Gaudreau signs,

3a. Promote Mangiapane/Dube to top 6 full time... trade Tkachuk+Zary+1st for Eichel.  I think this offer gets it done and with Eichel, I expect the Flames to be a playoff team so our 1st won't be a lotto pick.  Eichel is RHS C so we could either move Lindholm to RW or push him down to 2nd line Center and trade Monahan or Backlund... 

I would go from there.

I'm on board with virtually everything Peeps said. Obviously, I'd follow through on an Eichel deal regardless if Gaudreau re-signs. Again, Eichel would draw other good players to come play in Calgary. Plus, Sutter has won a few cups now as a coach, so there's some Stanley Cup pedigree there when players are considering Calgary as a playing destination. Sutter would also love Eichel down the middle. 

Personally, I'd swing for the fences and try to pull Eichel and Reinhart out of Buffalo. If Buffalo wants a C in return + Tkachuk they can have Mony or Backs, plus whatever else to facilitate a deal. Maybe they want Johnny. I don't really care. It's time to re-write the Calgary Flames. 

double post - but I'll use it. This one is for you JJ:

- If we do acquire Eichel, and it's not going well, we've got a pretty valuable asset to trade on the market for futures and whatnot for a rebuild. What do you think? Does it make an Eichel trade more palatable for you? Or is rolling the dice for Bedard, etc more worth it in your eyes? Honest question here. I have no knowledge of the up and coming talent. But we do know a bonified #1 C is unprecedentedly available on the market now. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

double post - but I'll use it. This one is for you JJ:

- If we do acquire Eichel, and it's not going well, we've got a pretty valuable asset to trade on the market for futures and whatnot for a rebuild. What do you think? Does it make an Eichel trade more palatable for you? Or is rolling the dice for Bedard, etc more worth it in your eyes? Honest question here. I have no knowledge of the up and coming talent. But we do know a bonified #1 C is unprecedentedly available on the market now. 

Known versus an unknown.

You cannot bank on getting Bedard.  Firstly I do not think that the Flames as an organsiation would condone a tanking strategy and we are not that bad a team to be bottom dwellers.  We seem to be a perpetual middling team.   Secondly you have no guarantee that you end up with that pick due to the lottery so I think that is a very dangerous strategy.

However that said I am not convinced that Eichel is the saviour this team needs.   Comes across to me as too self serving and not a team player.   But I can understand the interest in him.

Not one of our players in untouchable as far as I am concerned.  

The farm looks a bit bare at the moment and we may have to (should) wait on Zary and PelItier.   I do not think Phillips will get a fair look.   Sutter will not be able to overlook his size.  We are pretty small as it is, or play small and I am not sure we can take on another smaller player to play in the top 6.  Hope Phillips proves me wrong - the guy deserves ever success he can get.  

• Like 1

1. On Treliving, as indicated elsewhere I am fine moving on just so long as they get an upgrade. If they want to go the POHO model with Mike Gillis (Davidson is off the market) I'm good with that. Otherwise I'm interest in Eric Tuslky from Carolina or Chris McFarland from Colorado and that's it. I could maybe get talked into Jeff Gorton but I'd need to see his plan and what he did in New York because outside of some obvious moves I don't see strengthens but perhaps I am missing something. I'm not really a fan of promoting Conroy unless he has a very different vision and just hasn't been able to implement it. 

I'll preface the rest with saying that I am assuming a rebuild is off the table. That is still the way I would go.

1. I think Peeps has all of the first steps right. The only thing I would push for is less of a term of Gaudreau deal but that is the thought process they need to go through I think and agree that this sets up the rest of the offseason. If Gaudreau doesn't want to sign (or prices himself off the Flames) then I'm very curious to see what you can get in trade. If he doesn't want to stay then it makes the thought of trading Tkachuk for Eichel harder to pull off. While i'm happy if Gaudreau wants to stay long term, i'm also not sure he's the type of player you just hand the cheque over to and let him fill it out. 

2. I'm with Peeps on Eichel and that would be my offer too. I think it's a competitive offer (still not what I would do if I were Buffalo) and I do think that if you retain Gaudreau and add Eichel this team gets quite a bit better. 

3. I think Valimaki and Dube are just going to get their qualifying offers. Can't see them getting raises. 

4. I would re sign Josh Leivo. I think once he got past his injury he was very effective for the Flames. Should be cheap (probably another 1 year deal) RS and then he meets their expansion draft exposure requirements. I would personally have interest in Derek Ryan coming back if he can be hand for 1-2 years at less than 3 mill but I highly doubt the Flames do this.

5. Trade Monahan. I'm ok with taking a bit less in value here too I just think you need to move on. Ideally you get a RW option or another center. I'm not a huge fan of LIndholm at center, prefer him on RW, but Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk was a very good looking line. Can't pay Monahan 6 mill to be this club's 3rd best center.

6. I too would look to lock up Mangiapane on a long term deal. You might get him in the 4-5Mill range and that's a steal if you can. 

7. I don't have much interest in the UFA market and I don't thikn the top end players you'd want (Landeskop,Ovechkin, Hamilton) are going to come here. I'd be open to guys lik RNH and Hyman but don't think the cap will work. 

Looking on more the potential bargain side: I really like Phillip Danault if they move Monahan. Brandon Saad, Corey Perry, Joel Armia, and Evan Rodrigues

Hard to put a plan together until you know how the big dominos fall

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If Gaudreau signs,

3a. Promote Mangiapane/Dube to top 6 full time... trade Tkachuk+Zary+1st for Eichel.  I think this offer gets it done and with Eichel, I expect the Flames to be a playoff team so our 1st won't be a lotto pick.  Eichel is RHS C so we could either move Lindholm to RW or push him down to 2nd line Center and trade Monahan or Backlund... 

I've heard that one from a Buffalo blogger.   What I don't like about it is that we give up the one top prospect we have at C.

What it comes down to is either Zary or Pelletier going the other way, and I have reservations for either.

Pelletier probably has a slightly higher ceiling, but I wonder about having a top 6 of Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube and Pelletier.

Sounds fast, but very small.

Since we are losing Tkachuk, we have to figure out who the top 6 would be with Eichel.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Dube

Mangiapane-Monahan-Lindholm

or

Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Whatever the case, we need to shed some salary and possibly upgrade the D and RW.

If Gio is only 3rd pairing capable, we need to move that out and pick up a top 4 D.

Can't be paying both Monahan and Backlund $11m for a 2 and 3C.

If we were to add Backlund to the Eichel trade, would we be able to get Risto, or would that cost Monahan?

My two UFA adds would be Hyman or RNH, depending on what needs we have.

I wouldn't sign RHN as a LW because we don't need a C.

I suspect he will be on the market for less than $6m, since I don't think EDM wants to pay him more than about $5m tops. 

OUT

Tkachuk (-$7m)

Backlund (-$5.3m)

Gio (- $4m - salary retained)

Ryan (-$2m)

IN

Eichel (+$10m)

Risto (+$5.4m)

Ryan (+$1.25m)

RNH or Hyman (+$5m)

I haven't done the cap calcs, but without Riittich and Bennett, and Stone's buyout done, we should have had some space.  No meaningful raises to RFA's.

Perhaps if Eichel comes this way and we still have Mony or Backlund in the fold, one of them can be used to acquire Dumba from Minny. They’re looking for Cs and we need to shore up our D with Gio getting up there. Speaking of which, it almost sounded to me like Gio is/was accepting of the situation for the team - like he is ok or knows it makes sense to expose him, however, he wants to be back in Calgary. Sounds like the makings of a side deal to Seattle, and would likely kibosh any potential D-man trade. 

23 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Do the advanced stats support Gio's possible decline people are talking about?

He comes back every year as one of top 2 fittest players.

Prior to trading Frolik, it was a tossup as to which was fittest.

I think after last summer/fall/winter off-season, Gio's fitness was not talked about at all.

Fair to say that nobody would really be that good due to all the closures and weird rules in various places.

For me, the decline is more by eye test than anything else.

There used to be the argument of Gio made Brodie better vs Brodie made Gio better.

I would say the evidence supports the latter.

Don't get me wrong, he's a smart player and gives his all.

Our defense was not a murderer's row this year in our zone, which is what we should be striving for.

The playoffs support that and our inability to defend our zone was obvious this season.

Trading him is more to make room for a top D, since I don't think it's logical to assume that he has a bounce back season.

Gaudreau's comments about wanting to remain a Flame long term....

Sorry about the link.  It's a link to the audio,  For those that prefer just to read the highlights....

If Tree and the owners are happy with the way I’ve played here the past six, seven years, it’s something we can figure out this upcoming summer. I would love to do that. I love the city of Calgary and I love playing here. I don’t think I’ve ever not once said I don’t haven’t wanted be here. The guys in the locker room are great in there. I’ve always enjoyed my time here. If that’s something that comes up this summer, that’s something I’d be very willing to do and try to get done.

4 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

RD, take the comments from them in perspective.

They can be biased.

The posted article was about a month ago.

Do I agree with some of the assertions?  Yes, but not a blanket agreement.

My feeling is that we need to be moving that next one into the top 2 role to take over.

More limited PP and PK time.

Less overall minutes.

Mentoring over top pairing.

The problem with that is he eats up the 2nd most cap of any player on the team.

We can't afford to improve the defense with that $6.75m being spent.

Lucic creates as much of a problem cap-wise, so it's not Gio that is causing the problem.

One of the reasons why he is talked about so much is that he is a player you have to complete a roster, not being a cornerstone.

A re-tool means you have to move on from some players with a longer term plan.

Yeah I realised it was 6 weeks out of date after I posted.

Still trying to get my head around the stats but from what I can see it looks like Gio actually bounced back toward the back end of the season.  Probably as a result of playing with Tanev.

The worying stats appear to be Andersson's down year.

13 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah I realised it was 6 weeks out of date after I posted.

Still trying to get my head around the stats but from what I can see it looks like Gio actually bounced back toward the back end of the season.  Probably as a result of playing with Tanev.

The worying stats appear to be Andersson's down year.

Tanev was a top player all year long.

According to news today, he was playing with cracked ribs since March 29th, playing in a lot of pain.

Yet, we played him till the bitter end, ignoring the fact we were eliminated quite some time ago.

My opinion about the Gio-Ras pairing was they were in over their heads.

The real answer is that we either shift the top pairing to two other guys (like Hanifin-Tanev) or we get the fit with Ras.

A lot to expect him to be the #2D on this team this soon.

The other thing for me is that he's too much of a version of Gio.

Where Brodie was able to make up for any Gio deficiencies, and those aspects made for a top pair, Ras was more like Gio.

Lesser skater than Brodie, more of a hard nosed play the body player.

Wins board battles with strength over positioning and stick work.

I think a skater like Valimaki or Kylington is the better fit with Gio.

Obviously, that assumes they are capable of playing RD.

One of the things I will say about Andersson is this. He wasn't playing his game this season, or even the end of last season. I don't know if being paired with Gio, if he tried to change his game or if coaching was trying to change his game, but he's got to get back to the player he is. We drafted him because of the way he played his game. He was part of the offence in Barrie and his offence has completely been stifled here - he's not the same player. My bet is there's an external influence here, but I hope he goes back to doing what he does best and playing the way he plays. 

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

One of the things I will say about Andersson is this. He wasn't playing his game this season, or even the end of last season. I don't know if being paired with Gio, if he tried to change his game or if coaching was trying to change his game, but he's got to get back to the player he is. We drafted him because of the way he played his game. He was part of the offence in Barrie and his offence has completely been stifled here - he's not the same player. My bet is there's an external influence here, but I hope he goes back to doing what he does best and playing the way he plays. 

He took the blame for an ineffective PP.  While he had a part in the failures, we are talking about a 5 man unit that struggled to generate high danger chances.  Ras almost always passed off over taking even an indirect shot or shot pass.  He was also used more right of center on the point, so his one-timer was not as available.  When he got on the 2nd PP unit, he was used like Ovi or Laine.  But Ovi also played much closer to the middle, so his shots way more direct.  Also, when he plays the PP, he's being used  like a forward.

I think he does better when played with a more mobile rover type.  Gio is almost always going to lead the offense, so not much chance there.  And he's going to back down to Gio in those little conversations they have.  The coaches need to get through to him and tell him he needs to skate and shoot more.  He drives me crazy when he has a lane and he waits for other players to move, and that lane is gone.   

I still think we shouldn't make any big moves until we get Gaudreau signed long term, or if he refuses, then we look at how deep to rebuild.  Personally, I hope he doesn't extend here and we do a full rebuild and go for young pieces and picks.

That said, even if we just trade Gaudreau for picks and don't replace him, keep everybody else, we should be a bottom 3 team in the NHL next season.

Don't go after Eichel by trading Tkachuk if we are going to lose Gaudreau.  What's the point then?  We will be the next Buffalo Sabres and have no depth scoring.  So Gaudreau is the big domino that has to fall first.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I still think we shouldn't make any big moves until we get Gaudreau signed long term, or if he refuses, then we look at how deep to rebuild.  Personally, I hope he doesn't extend here and we do a full rebuild and go for young pieces and picks.

That said, even if we just trade Gaudreau for picks and don't replace him, keep everybody else, we should be a bottom 3 team in the NHL next season.

Don't go after Eichel by trading Tkachuk if we are going to lose Gaudreau.  What's the point then?  We will be the next Buffalo Sabres and have no depth scoring.  So Gaudreau is the big domino that has to fall first.

I don't think I agree with this. For full disclosure I am in favor of a rebuild so I think if they want to do this it has to go deeper than Gaudreau.

This isn't going to land well for most people, but the reality is the Flames actually played some really good hockey under Sutter. At 5 on 5 since March 10th:

5th best in the league in CF%

4th best in FewickF%

8th best in ShotsF%

11th best in goalsF%

3rd best in XGf% (they trailed only Toronto and Colorado)

5th best in Scoring chances F%

3rd best in High danger chancesF%

6th worst in Save %

What sticks out there is the Save% because under Darryl the Flames became on the best defending teams in the entire league at 5 on 5. All of these numbers above are due to improvement in the defensive side of the game, they were avg offensively. Not to pin this all on Markstrom (I think his injury is really what derailed his season) but Flames get avg or slightly better goaltending under the first month or 2 with Sutter they are in the playoffs right now.

Argument could be made that if the team is already avg offensively so take our their best offensive player and what do you have? It's a fair one but i guess I would counter by saying what is the read on Markstrom? on Tkachuk? I bet both players bounce back next season so then the argument becomes is the loss of Gaudreau offset by that? Even if they don't is the loss of Gaudreau worth 10 points in the standings when they were already a below avg offence? I don't think it is personally. 

Not advocating the Flames are a good team or that a rebuild isn't necessary or anything like that. Based on observations of the team game under Sutter I just don't think a rebuild is as easy moving Gaudreau, you'll need to go deeper but I am in favor of having that conversation. 

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think I agree with this. For full disclosure I am in favor of a rebuild so I think if they want to do this it has to go deeper than Gaudreau.

This isn't going to land well for most people, but the reality is the Flames actually played some really good hockey under Sutter. At 5 on 5 since March 10th:

5th best in the league in CF%

4th best in FewickF%

8th best in ShotsF%

11th best in goalsF%

3rd best in XGf% (they trailed only Toronto and Colorado)

5th best in Scoring chances F%

3rd best in High danger chancesF%

6th worst in Save %

What sticks out there is the Save% because under Darryl the Flames became on the best defending teams in the entire league at 5 on 5. All of these numbers above are due to improvement in the defensive side of the game, they were avg offensively. Not to pin this all on Markstrom (I think his injury is really what derailed his season) but Flames get avg or slightly better goaltending under the first month or 2 with Sutter they are in the playoffs right now.

Argument could be made that if the team is already avg offensively so take our their best offensive player and what do you have? It's a fair one but i guess I would counter by saying what is the read on Markstrom? on Tkachuk? I bet both players bounce back next season so then the argument becomes is the loss of Gaudreau offset by that? Even if they don't is the loss of Gaudreau worth 10 points in the standings when they were already a below avg offence? I don't think it is personally. 

Not advocating the Flames are a good team or that a rebuild isn't necessary or anything like that. Based on observations of the team game under Sutter I just don't think a rebuild is as easy moving Gaudreau, you'll need to go deeper but I am in favor of having that conversation. 

Many factors of course.

You lose your #1 offensive weapon on an already average offense.  Can't imagine being a one-time team without having a elite player on that line.  We will be like the Coyotes, Red Wings, etc.

For sure we aren't the worst team.  We still have good players in their primes and Markstrom is the biggest question mark.  If he returns to form then all is well.  If he plays average and we get below average scoring then it's a big problem.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

EDIT - not directed at you, just that you brought up good talking points.

Markstrom is an interesting case study.

Last year 43 games, 23 wins 16 losses and 4 OTL.  2.75 GAA, .918

This year 43 games, 22 wins 19 losses and 2 OTL.  2.68 GAA and .904

Start and end were the best parts of his season, middle was bad.  

I tend to agree that moving out one player doesn't drop us to bottom 3.

Even without Tkachuk improving and Markstrom playing the same, we are still winning enough to keep out of the real basement.

Since a rebuild is out, it has to be a deep re-tooling.

We are too far from contender to just do adds and subtracts.

The difference in opinion is which players need to be cut out.

Tkachuk - are we fooling ourselves thinking he is the problem with the lineup or culture?

Gaudreau - went from invisible with an injured Monahan to a high scoring player.  Was that garbage games or impact of playing with healthy people.

Monahan - is he a problem or the fact he was originally our only top 6 C the problem - did injuries cause the drop?

Lindholm - are we that deep on RW that we can use our best RW at C?

Dube - what is even the plan with him, do we try to use him with Lucic or a top 6 role?  Is there enough patience to do it?

Mangiapane - top 6 for sure, top 3 in even strength, yet he plays on a shutdown line?

Lucic - is he a leader or a dissenting voice.  While he found his scoring touch again, is that just a mirage?  Is he high enough reward vs risk?

Backlund - did he go on a pouter because he was dropped out of the top 6?  Can we afford to keep him?  Do we even have a next up player to take his spot?

Ryan - well we lost Bennett, so are we okay in not re-signing him?

Gio - is it time or do we simply need to scale back his minutes and use him to mentor?  Do we need a Number 1 that has a long shelf life?

Hanifin - is he more valuable as a trade chip or do we focus on building the defense around him.

Ras - declined in overall play, but on the other hand he had a career season by points and goals per game.  Insulate him a bit better?

Valimaki - how do we even know what he is capable of.

Kylington - see Valimaki.  We know he can skate but don't know whether he can grow.

Stone - as a depth player, about all you can ask for.  That shouldn't mean we should only aspire to have him as part of the regular 6.

I don't even know the right strategy to improve in a re-tool.  The players we may decide to move out do not bring back enough to even be as good. 

So we have to use draft capital or include players not the problem to get players we need.

And spend money on UFA's.

Or simply trade players for picks and prospects and hope to get lucky.    

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Many factors of course.

You lose your #1 offensive weapon on an already average offense.  Can't imagine being a one-time team without having a elite player on that line.  We will be like the Coyotes, Red Wings, etc.

For sure we aren't the worst team.  We still have good players in their primes and Markstrom is the biggest question mark.  If he returns to form then all is well.  If he plays average and we get below average scoring then it's a big problem.

I think the Coyotes are a good example. Pretty good D core, avg to below avg offence but a good d core, goaltending and a defensive structure keep them from bottoming out. That would be my fear with moving Gaudreau for picks, unless your willing to go deeper of course. 

I just think if you want to rebuild and do it right it's gotta be deep. Your moving out Gaudreau, Backs, Gio, Tanev and Markstrom. Anything shy of that and i'm just not sure I see a bottom 5 team unless they had a big run of injuries. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think the Coyotes are a good example. Pretty good D core, avg to below avg offence but a good d core, goaltending and a defensive structure keep them from bottoming out. That would be my fear with moving Gaudreau for picks, unless your willing to go deeper of course. 

I just think if you want to rebuild and do it right it's gotta be deep. Your moving out Gaudreau, Backs, Gio, Tanev and Markstrom. Anything shy of that and i'm just not sure I see a bottom 5 team unless they had a big run of injuries. 

Sure, take Phil Kessel out of the Coyotes and see how far they go?  Like, VAN without Pettersson.  CBJ without PLD.  Etc.  Still need to score even if you play well 5-on-5.

At the end of the day, we didn't underachieve by much.  Sure we expected the playoffs but the expectation was one round at most.  We are not a good team and management doesn't trust it's depth.  

I hope we do it right.  I'm just thinking losing Gaudreau alone could be enough because our team is so bad to begin with.  Like, If it's broken, then don't fix it.  Of course, I hope we move more veteran pieces out for picks and prospects.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Tank Right for Shane Wright!

Is "tank" too racist and transphobic?  Sorry don't mean to trigger any sensitive people here.   "Retool"... Let's retool right.

Personally, I’d keep Monahan, Tachuck, Gaudreau, Lindholm and one of Manji or Dube trade the other...

I wouldn’t be considering Eichel he’s a pass for me.

Reinhart is an absolute must go hard after.

Backlund is a tradable for me, and yes I totally realize that still leaves huge holes down the Ctr and along the RW but I think those can be filled...I hope, but Eichel is just too pricey for what we have here...I think there are better 2nd and 3rd line Ctrs to be had at a more affordable cost, and maybe just maybe we could pull another top 6 RW?...then at least it’s a solid top 6 to start with less asset loss though your probably gonna have to give up the 1st rounder to have a chance to land Reinhart but I think it’s worth it.

Tachuck/Lindholm/?

Gaudreau/Monahan/Reinhart 

on the D that’s another story, it starts and ends with Gio who should be either 3rd pairing or traded