2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Way too much for one good year.

Petterson must be $9.5 x 5 then.  Which leaves the Canucks with about $2-mil for Quinn Hughes.  EDIT: they can use Ferlands LTIR so i guess that's $5.5-mil for Hughes.  Still pretty tough sell I think.

This also sets the price for Gaudreau too I feel.  He's going to want $9-mil+ on a 5-year.

Yup. I don't think anyone will love the bar.

Late to the party this year. With losing Gio and adding all these new faces it looks to be another "rebuild" year and no playoff hopes once again.  Not sure i like the new additions i guess i will be looking at the pre season to see how well they fit in before making final critical analysis.  I guess time will tell.

24 minutes ago, Aggravator said:

Late to the party this year. With losing Gio and adding all these new faces it looks to be another "rebuild" year and no playoff hopes once again.  Not sure i like the new additions i guess i will be looking at the pre season to see how well they fit in before making final critical analysis.  I guess time will tell.

the difference is .. the pick ups this year actually have a connection to the management/Sutter as opposed to \\\\\\\\trelivings usual pick'ups of players /pieces that had no reason to come here 

I don't have a problem with the Kaprizov deal. It was such a tricky negotiation. Everything you see on the ice, and his background, points to this guy being one of the next best offensive wingers in the game but the real catch is he's already 24. So while I get the too much for 1 good year the alternative is you try and do a 1 or a 2 year deal because 3 walks you to UFA. Risk in doing that is you've got a player who likely would get more term and $ in Russia if you really want to try and drive a hard bargain for a shorter term deal. I think this was a player who was a must sign for the Wild and i can completely see what it took that amount of $. 

Not sure it changes the bar much to be honest, because he is in a pretty unique category. Johnny was already probably in the 9 range before this anyway. 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't have a problem with the Kaprizov deal. It was such a tricky negotiation. Everything you see on the ice, and his background, points to this guy being one of the next best offensive wingers in the game but the real catch is he's already 24. So while I get the too much for 1 good year the alternative is you try and do a 1 or a 2 year deal because 3 walks you to UFA. Risk in doing that is you've got a player who likely would get more term and $ in Russia if you really want to try and drive a hard bargain for a shorter term deal. I think this was a player who was a must sign for the Wild and i can completely see what it took that amount of $. 

Not sure it changes the bar much to be honest, because he is in a pretty unique category. Johnny was already probably in the 9 range before this anyway. 

I'd agree JG's in the 9 range, and maybe wanting the full 8 years?

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I would say that $9m only makes sense for 5 or 6 years.  Longer term "should be closer to $8m.

At least in my books.

5 years is still in his productive years, while 8 takes him to 36/37.

In fact, you really have to compare a 5 year deal with Kaprizov's.

Are they worth the same?

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm sure Gaudraeu wants a contract that will take him to retirement. Not sure if that's 7 or 8 but I would totally understand that being his goal. I think if the Flames were going to do that term then the last few years they'd want to drop the cap in order to lower the AAV. Bonuses would come into play there too. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, The_People1 said:

Sami Niku for free.  Should we be interested?

I'm not sure what happened to Niku.  He went from highly touted prospect to a complete nobody.  When he plays, he's so disinterested and not engaged.  Low emotion player... LHS RD.   

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-jets-sami-niku-unconditional-waivers-buyout-1.1695879

Niku signs with MTL for $750k.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Good.  He's not a Sutter type anyways.

Well, we signed Poirier to a deal, who will be in the AHL next year.

There is something to be said about having a mix of players in your roster.

Can't just have big tough guys who can't skate.

I don't mind Zaddy, and Guddy is okay in some uses, but come on....

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we signed Poirier to a deal, who will be in the AHL next year.

There is something to be said about having a mix of players in your roster.

Can't just have big tough guys who can't skate.

I don't mind Zaddy, and Guddy is okay in some uses, but come on....

For sure.  Poirier is a skilled guy.  Not big and doesn't play that hard hitting style.  Can't have all D be the big stay at home type.  It's nice to have a D who can carry the puck up ice.