2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a tough pill to swallow when we used up all our cap this summer.

Would need to find a new home for Lucic or Dube and take nothing back.

If Dube, we need to have only 12F on the roster and 6D.

If the deal was a long term one at $4.1m, it would be a reasonable risk.

Assumng the Flames have done their homework and know a bit about the player.

To blow your cap when the only position you've adequately covered is LW, and have two core players entering RFA with another UFA the year after, is nothing short of incompetent.  Full stop.    This is why the rebuild will happen to us whether we like it or not.

Over and out on that lol.    I'll be simmering down as we approach regular season.     Piping up again probably around trade deadline time.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

To blow your cap when the only position you've adequately covered is LW, and have two core players entering RFA with another UFA the year after, is nothing short of incompetent.  Full stop.    This is why the rebuild will happen to us whether we like it or not.

Over and out on that lol.    I'll be simmering down as we approach regular season.     Piping up again probably around trade deadline time.

Whatever.

I talked about blowing the cap as something we do routinely.

We only removed Gio's salary, but added Dube, Coleman and Zadorov.

Annoyed about Gudbranson, but that's a minor beef.

Can trade him at TDL if we want.

Same with Pitlick, Lewis and Richardson.  

The problem is we still have Lucic's $5+m in there.

That's the difference between a top 6 F and not having one.

Can't really say much about $75m spent with our roster until you consider the extra $5+m for Lucic.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whatever.

I talked about blowing the cap as something we do routinely.

We only removed Gio's salary, but added Dube, Coleman and Zadorov.

Annoyed about Gudbranson, but that's a minor beef.

Can trade him at TDL if we want.

Same with Pitlick, Lewis and Richardson.  

The problem is we still have Lucic's $5+m in there.

That's the difference between a top 6 F and not having one.

Can't really say much about $75m spent with our roster until you consider the extra $5+m for Lucic.

Came acrross this: As many think a small major have a negative over tone to the Flames, I will just leave this here:

In a article Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic wrote less than a month ago, he got responses from over 17,000 fans who ranked NHL front offices from best to worst. (from ‘Dom Luszczyszyn: 2021 NHL front office rankings: Fans weigh in on every team’ , The Athletic — 08/25/21). The Flames placed 24th out of 32 teams, and Luszczyszyn summed the reasoning up perfectly.

“The Flames are at the same crossroads that all average teams are at when they realize they’re stuck in the mushy middle: go all-in or fold” Luszczyszyn wrote. “Pick a lane and either try to contend or try to rebuild. Doing neither just delays the inevitable and wastes time for everyone and that lack of vision is obviously going to be frustrating to a hungry fan base. Only 4 percent were more confident in this team now than they were last year, the lowest of any team in the league. Do something!”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Came acrross this: As many think a small major have a negative over tone to the Flames, I will just leave this here:

In a article Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic wrote less than a month ago, he got responses from over 17,000 fans who ranked NHL front offices from best to worst. (from ‘Dom Luszczyszyn: 2021 NHL front office rankings: Fans weigh in on every team’ , The Athletic — 08/25/21). The Flames placed 24th out of 32 teams, and Luszczyszyn summed the reasoning up perfectly.

“The Flames are at the same crossroads that all average teams are at when they realize they’re stuck in the mushy middle: go all-in or fold” Luszczyszyn wrote. “Pick a lane and either try to contend or try to rebuild. Doing neither just delays the inevitable and wastes time for everyone and that lack of vision is obviously going to be frustrating to a hungry fan base. Only 4 percent were more confident in this team now than they were last year, the lowest of any team in the league. Do something!”

Yeah but then he got Gudbranson😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

As always, love the comments section.

I think Brady will eventually sign for $8 x 8.  It's just part of the show to hold out so we just have to go through the motions.

If Matthew is making it clear he's going to be a problem to deal with next summer then should we trade him now?  He has a $9-mil QO and it's clear nobody has an appetite for that.  He's not a point-per-game player and relies on intangibles to carry his weight.  He's better suited to be a complementary piece to a true #1 Center.  Paying him $9-mil without first having that #1 Center to play with him would be a mistake.

The Flames core is heading straight into a fork on the road where Gaudreau is leaving via UFA and Tkachuk will hold out for a big pay day.  Should we rip the bandaid off quick or very painfully slow?

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If Matthew is making it clear he's going to be a problem to deal with next summer then should we trade him now?  He has a $9-mil QO and it's clear nobody has an appetite for that.  He's not a point-per-game player and relies on intangibles to carry his weight.  He's better suited to be a complementary piece to a true #1 Center.  Paying him $9-mil without first having that #1 Center to play with him would be a mistake.

The Flames core is heading straight into a fork on the road where Gaudreau is leaving via UFA and Tkachuk will hold out for a big pay day.  Should we rip the bandaid off quick or very painfully slow?

i guess now we are gonna say we should never draft Americans. But ya, I really agree with this. It sounds like he’s ready to be a bit of a deal. He’s already stated it’s a family business. 

Yep, Matt is basically saying he will play hardball and is happy to hold out again to get his way.

I would be happy to move him for a good return. What would be value for him?

Trading with the blues, they only have 1.5 million in cap space, once demoting 1 D man, so would need to send equal cap back as they can’t even sign Thomas. The biggest problem for the trade is that the blues love to give out NTCs. Only players over 5 mil with no NTC are O’Reilly (their Captain), Buchnevich (LSW) and Parayko (RD just re-signed) at least one of whom would need to be included. Tarasenko would be nice, but has an NTC and is an alternate captain. Flames have about 1.8 million in cap space once they send Froese down, likely not enough for a Thomas signing if he is included. Would 2.5 million do for Thomas? Kyrou had better O stats last season and makes 2.8 on their team.

So the Flames would have a couple of choices to make a move with the Blues, but would it be worth it? They can trade in a way that uses Flames cap space to allow the Blues to sign Thomas, or take back less cap hit in order to have cap to sign Thomas if he is included.

To St. Louis

Tkachuk

To CGY

Buchnevich (5.8) 

Thomas (RFA) Or Kyrou 

On the fence with this option as Buchnevich is good, but does it do enough?

Ottawa has plenty of cap space, but do they really want to negotiate with 2 Tkachuk brothers? They have over 24 million in space to sign Brady and a 13th. Especially since they can demote a D for a little more, so they could easily carry the Brothers moving forward. Stutzle, Brown and Zub are the contracts up in 2 seasons which could affect the cap. At least 1 would be needed in return and other pieces to balance things out.

I am going to spitball an idea, not sure if it would fly but who knows.

To Ottawa

Tkachuk (7 mil, RFA) LW/RW

Ritchie (900k, UFA) RW

Phillips (750k, RFA) C minors

To Calgary

Brown (3.6 mil, 2 UFA) RW

Lassi Thomson (863k, 3 RFA) RD minors

Conditional 2022 1st round pick (2023)

2022 3rd round pick

Sens have the cap, and without Brown have more space in 2 years for Stutzle and Zub, even with the brothers both in the 8-10 range. Ritchie gives them the extra forward with experience for this season. Phillips likely has a better chance with the Sens than Flames due to size and roster. Basically used to balance a bit.

Flames get a top 6 RW, an almost ready RD prospect and a couple of picks plus almost 4 mil cap space for future trades.

Neither trade is perfect, and some fans will argue Tkachuk is worth more, but Brown is a bargain contract and the Blues have little other choice. Both moves remove a future headache and pain in the wallet, brings back proven talent and young talent. Not sure either one is the way to go.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk next summer, if someone signs him as RFA then it's probably $9-mil x 5-years.  That means we get two 1st + one 2nd + one 3rd.  IMO, this is worth way more than Thomas + Tarasenko/Bushnevich.  

We should probably sit back next summer and wait for someone to sign him to an offer sheet.

I would do that! 

I actually have never viewed him as a winner anyway. He hasn’t stepped up when it matters most. He talks a good hockey speak but wasn’t willing to actually walk his talk last year. He hasn’t dragged anyone into the game since the Frolik days. 

The allowed offer sheet could be interesting depending on what happens this season. No Gaudreau extension, no playoffs, no real success, it wouldn’t surprise me to see this done although we would need to qualify him at least which he might take which is a raise from his current 7. 

I guess we will see what happens, but I won’t be surprised if he is no longer a Flame with or without Gaudreau next season.

11 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

The allowed offer sheet could be interesting depending on what happens this season. No Gaudreau extension, no playoffs, no real success, it wouldn’t surprise me to see this done although we would need to qualify him at least which he might take which is a raise from his current 7. 

I guess we will see what happens, but I won’t be surprised if he is no longer a Flame with or without Gaudreau next season.

If I'm not mistaken, then his QO is at $9-mil and all Flames have to do is make the 1-year offer to retain his rights.  Tkachuk doesn't even need to sign it.  Given Tkachuk's recent comments, he's almost certainly not going to sign it and he will hold out for an offer sheet.

Why would Tkachuk hold out for an OS? They almost never happen, and he’s not worth more than 9 million AAV. No one is offering that. Chucky will sign his QO and be a UFA the following year. He’s worth more in a trade right now.

Maybe the wild are a good target. They have a short window to win before the buyouts of Parise and Sutter begin to bite, so they may be open to making a splash right now. Tkachuk + 2nd for Marco Rossi + Victor Rask + 1st.

7 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Why would Tkachuk hold out for an OS? They almost never happen, and he’s not worth more than 9 million AAV. No one is offering that. Chucky will sign his QO and be a UFA the following year. He’s worth more in a trade right now.

Maybe the wild are a good target. They have a short window to win before the buyouts of Parise and Sutter begin to bite, so they may be open to making a splash right now. Tkachuk + 2nd for Marco Rossi + Victor Rask + 1st.

If Gaudreau leaves via UFA and Tkachuk only signs a 1-year to walk via UFA the following season.  Boy, it's hard not to be on the "Fire BT" bandwagon.  Major asset mis-management.

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sami Niku for free.  Should we be interested?

I'm not sure what happened to Niku.  He went from highly touted prospect to a complete nobody.  When he plays, he's so disinterested and not engaged.  Low emotion player... LHS RD.   

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-jets-sami-niku-unconditional-waivers-buyout-1.1695879

That is just insane.

They have zero cap even with the LTIR.

They would need to waive him as it is, with Dillon and Schmidt signaling the end of his getting minutes (with others taking up the 6/7 spots).

Say yes to signing him.

Would be an option for 6/7.

Pushes Stone to 8.

Kylington and Stone are going to be waived as it is.

We have 46 contracts used, but defense is a good place to add a contract.

I think Niku was a scapegoat; WPG sucks on defense. 

I would have interest, but he isn't a fit for Sutter or Sutter's system so i think the Flames need to pass unless he is cool being in the AHL again (not likely). I still think he could carve similar to Erik Gustafsson but I don't think Sutter has any time for that type of role and I don't think he would trust Niku in his own end. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I would have interest, but he isn't a fit for Sutter or Sutter's system so i think the Flames need to pass unless he is cool being in the AHL again (not likely). I still think he could carve similar to Erik Gustafsson but I don't think Sutter has any time for that type of role and I don't think he would trust Niku in his own end. 

Maybe, but we can't just have a bunch of Gudbransons out there.

Really we should have a mix of types.

If he's no good in the D-zone, then fine - pass.

If he has the ability to play 2-way, then look at him.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kaprizov $9 x 5. Damn! Hi Pettersen.

Way too much for one good year.

Petterson must be $9.5 x 5 then.  Which leaves the Canucks with about $2-mil for Quinn Hughes.  EDIT: they can use Ferlands LTIR so i guess that's $5.5-mil for Hughes.  Still pretty tough sell I think.

This also sets the price for Gaudreau too I feel.  He's going to want $9-mil+ on a 5-year.