2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have my issues with Monahan, but let's me fair. Excluding his rookie year, he is 26 in p/gp and 19 in g/gp among Cs with at least 200 games. 

Last year he was bad, and he wasn't exactly great the season before. So I guess we will have to see if this trend continues. But he had 5 solid seasons before that and he is a bit young to think he won't get back to that. 

On Dvorak, I think he costs more then Zary. Defensive centres seem to cost a bunch, and this one is on a solid contract and is young. Definitely would like to add him though. 

I think he has fallen out of favor in ARI.

Wasn't the breakout player they hoped for.

But they would be looking for a roster player like Backlund (compared to Strome trade) or pure futures.

Perhaps, using a goalie like Parsons and a 2nd + a prospect would do it.

Zary would be tough to give up on.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he has fallen out of favor in ARI.

Wasn't the breakout player they hoped for.

But they would be looking for a roster player like Backlund (compared to Strome trade) or pure futures.

Perhaps, using a goalie like Parsons and a 2nd + a prospect would do it.

Zary would be tough to give up on.

I am definitely in the camp to get Dvorak compared to Eichel, as long as it doesn’t include Zary. If it was Parsons, Florida’s 2nd next year, and a prospect like MEP or Phillips, that would be crazy. I would even be ok if it had to include both our seconds next year (because they’re collecting them, lol)

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I am definitely in the camp to get Dvorak compared to Eichel, as long as it doesn’t include Zary. If it was Parsons, Florida’s 2nd next year, and a prospect like MEP or Phillips, that would be crazy. I would even be ok if it had to include both our seconds next year (because they’re collecting them, lol)

Looking at their goalie depth, I don't see the next Raanta.

Their best may be a 2nd rate Rittich.

Parsons is at least coming with a winning pedegree (sp).

But who even knows what Parsons is worth; not much probably.

We have had rather easy times dealing with ARI over the recent years, so the conversations are easy.

Wonder what it would actually take.

Supposedly the Bruins offered Debrusk and Zboril.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Looking at their goalie depth, I don't see the next Raanta.

Their best may be a 2nd rate Rittich.

Parsons is at least coming with a winning pedegree (sp).

But who even knows what Parsons is worth; not much probably.

We have had rather easy times dealing with ARI over the recent years, so the conversations are easy.

Wonder what it would actually take.

Supposedly the Bruins offered Debrusk and Zboril.

Where did you hear that? If that’s a package they’re interested in, I wonder if they would be interested in Kylington + 

46 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would take the compensation if I was MTL. I have hard time paying someone that wasn’t even in their lineup at the end of the Cup Final being worth 6.1

Exciting news in a slow spell for the NHL though

Yep. Just saw this moments ago. Finally some excitement. This also screams retaliation for the Aho offer sheet. Love the fact that Carolina gave JK a $20 signing bonus - Edit: Sebastian Aho’s number 😏

What would be the return for MTL if they don’t match? I mean, can they even match - I think they’re over the cap right now? 

Seeing the Car move today got me thinking we have around 3 mil and there is one RFA who could very well slot in at Ctr or RW from LVK Nolan Patrick could be had they have zero cap space so an offset of 1 mil ish is 0 compensation and up to just a touch over 2 mil would be a third round pick…he could be had at a decent price and limited loss on compensation…heck out to 3 mil ish is a second I’m kinda of the thought process since we do have this space and Dvorak could cost more than what we have for trade maybe a RFA offer sheet to land Patrick may be a smart play now…not saying BT shouldn’t also consider and go after Dvorak and maybe even Debrusk too.

if I were BT I think an offer to Patrick is a smart play…it opens some doors from a Debrusk trade at the very least, and if he could Land Dvorak too would be really good as it could make Backlund tradable for Debrusk…imagining the lines looking like:

gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Dvorak/Coleman 

manji/Patrick/Debrusk 

lucic/Raz/Dube 

Pitlick 

Ritchie 

best part of this setup is Lindholm, Coleman and Patrick are all capable at Ctr and RW so I would also allow max flex with the Ctr ans RW areas where he have had major struggles over the past few years and the 4th line with Dube and (hopefully) Raz would be much improved too, much more than an average plugger line, it would definitely be a solid shutdown and for checking line that could score.

also Pitlick and Ritchie are solid injury fill ins 

If BT could manage to pull this off he would definitely secure his job for a while

longer. Getter done BT that would be a competitive solid (maybe not super star or flashy) but a balanced solid 4 line team as you can get with Lucic eating up so much $$$ cap space on the 4th line as you could hope for.

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Was it MTL that gave Aho an offer?

Too funny. Makes me love the Canes.

Too much fun.

It's fantastic lol.

$6m is a bit much, BUT...

for those of you who don't want to rebuild, here's an option.  He's a great, great prospect who will probably be twice the player next year and twice that the year after.

While this IS insane, you have to admire the creativity and the long memory.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's fantastic lol.

$6m is a bit much, BUT...

for those of you who don't want to rebuild, here's an option.  He's a great, great prospect who will probably be twice the player next year and twice that the year after.

While this IS insane, you have to admire the creativity and the long memory.

I love it, but it’d have been better if they’d have waited a year and went after Nick Suzuki. Give him an insane shorter term deal like they did to Aho…

• Like 1

I sorta don't buy this "revenge" signing narrative by CAR.  From all accounts, CAR management were high-fiving each other after MTL "helped" the Canes get Aho under contract.  Aho's deal is very fair, trending on the side of being a great deal for the team.

And so, this could be a "thank you" gift to MTL who simply needs to match and they get KK signed for one year.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I sorta don't buy this "revenge" signing narrative by CAR.  From all accounts, CAR management were high-fiving each other after MTL "helped" the Canes get Aho under contract.  Aho's deal is very fair, trending on the side of being a great deal for the team.

And so, this could be a "thank you" gift to MTL who simply needs to match and they get KK signed for one year.

That's a different perspective.  It might be close to the truth.

But, it puts MTL in a poor contract position.

GM wanted to low ball him and now is stuck paying Y1 of $6.1m

Next year, it's a bigger contract.

MB probalably would have wanted a 2, 3 type deal or like Dube's.

JK didn't really do anything more than Mangiapane in his ELC or Dube in his.

Yes, he's a C, but not killing it. 

Next year, they have to sign JK again and deal with Suzuki, who is much more of a finished product.

No way he signs for less.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not a chance. The 20 dollar signing bonus was a clear FU message, and this doesn't help Montreal even a little. It's way too much money. Sure, it's one year, but it sets the QO value for next year. 

It's sounds like the Canes have a handshake for an extension that is less then the QO. If true then this might actually make sense for the Canes (though still too much money). But that doesn't help Montreal. 

This is fun summer hockey. But I hate it. These over payment offersheets set the precedent for future signings and it drives up prices. There are 30 GMs that are annoyed with this and 1 that is downright furious. 

Random idea. Mtl takes the compensation, we flip Monahan to Mtl for those picks, we turn around and sign Peterson to a 6x8 contract. If Vancouver matches, they got some major moves to make in order to sign Hughs. Then we take those picks and trade for Dvorak. If they don’t take it, we just moved Monahan plus a 2nd to land a young top line center. 

I think Van matches that, but it puts the squeeze on them which would be fun.

27 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Random idea. Mtl takes the compensation, we flip Monahan to Mtl for those picks, we turn around and sign Peterson to a 6x8 contract. If Vancouver matches, they got some major moves to make in order to sign Hughs. Then we take those picks and trade for Dvorak. If they don’t take it, we just moved Monahan plus a 2nd to land a young top line center. 

I think Van matches that, but it puts the squeeze on them which would be fun.

I don't think Pettersson accepts that offer at the moment.  With Svechnikov getting 7.75 x 8, Pettersson can definitely seek something closer to Eichel's 10 million on a long term.  I think Pettersson is either going to go the 3 year route like Barzal, Point, Tkachuk with a lower AAV or 7 or 8 years at 9+.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From a cap perspective yes, but from a cash flow perspective it isn't, for a small market team as the deal is made up with 38 million in bonuses and basically 20 million in a year, its easy to grow even more bitter about paying so much in a short period when you lose a main source of revenue.  Dundon may have said he had no problems signing the cheques, but his other actions tell me he puts a lot of thought in signing those cheques.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:04 AM, The_People1 said:

The GM and hockey ops people probably were but the owner wasn't. They've paid Aho close to $30million already and I've read multiple reports that part of the reason the Canes had such a hard line with re signing players was they had to tighten up their cash following the offer sheet and the bonuses they've had to pay out. Doesn't impact their cap, and Aho has a great cap hit, but it's impacted their operating expenses. 

I think Dundon is behind this offer sheet 100% and it's a big finger right back at the Habs. 

On 8/27/2021 at 4:47 PM, robrob74 said:

i was listening to the fan and Will Nault has been so down on Dube, thinking he hasn’t taken a step in his development and not to the speed he’d expect it to happen, not ready to be up on Dube.

i generally respect Kehatch’s opinions, well everyone’s on here for that matter…

But come on! Give me a break! He’s young, is still developing and is very promising. He got thrown into a role he wasn’t ready for and to me that was lofty for where he was in his career. 

start throwing stones after this year or next! Dube is on a similar path as Mange!

I just thought the post was funny but mostly because I'm not a fan of Will Nault so I thought it was a funny response. He's honestly made the fan shows almost unlistenable for me because he's just trying to be the contrarians in the discussion bur rarely does he actually have much to back up his opinion.

I wasn't sure where Nault stood on Dube so I didn't in anyway way try to bring Kehatch into it. I respect his opinion too. 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 1:04 AM, The_People1 said:

This isn't the conclusion I drew from it, but I also don't buy the "revenge" thing.

The whole thing is quite peculiar and ripe for conspiracy theory lol.

My thinking is a little more simple, I'm wondering if either:

• They really  like this guy  (he is for sure under-rated)

• They are trying to get Montreal to blow their cap, so they can offer sheet Suzuki next year.  (I'm not sure teams think this far out but you never know)
  • Like 1