2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

For me it would be Rasmus Dahlin.

He's coming off a bad year on a bad team, went from hype to under-rated.    Could win Norris trophy after Norris trophy if he figures his game out again, which he probably would with a fresh team.

I don't actually know if we're allowed to do it of it's like Hughes.   But a move like that is one of the few things that would make me change my tune about our rebuild.   

All this nonstop hooting about forwards is a bunch of fluff.

What is the point of that.  Buffalo is still below the cap floor.

They will need to keep Eichel and trade for salary coming back.

Just to be allowed to play without penalty.

They have gutted the team to lose, but still are unable to ice a team.

We could just offer a roster player and picks to help them out.

How does Hanifin + Pelletier sound to you?

Too much?  Not enough?

Leaves us short?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What is the point of that.  Buffalo is still below the cap floor.

They will need to keep Eichel and trade for salary coming back.

Just to be allowed to play without penalty.

They have gutted the team to lose, but still are unable to ice a team.

We could just offer a roster player and picks to help them out.

How does Hanifin + Pelletier sound to you?

Too much?  Not enough?

Leaves us short?

Well, I'm assuming one of the reasons they're below the cap floor is they have money issues.  but I could be wrong.

So it could be a way to make the acquisition.

I'm not a Hanifin fan but I don't believe we're in a position to lose another RD.    The only thing we have excess of is LHS forwards really.

Would I pull the trigger on it if that's what Buffalo wanted?   I might.   But I would then be on the hunt for a high calibre RD, without question.  

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Well, I'm assuming one of the reasons they're below the cap floor is they have money issues.  but I could be wrong.

So it could be a way to make the acquisition.

I'm not a Hanifin fan but I don't believe we're in a position to lose another RD.    The only thing we have excess of is LHS forwards really.

Would I pull the trigger on it if that's what Buffalo wanted?   I might.   But I would then be on the hunt for a high calibre RD, without question.  

Hanifin is a left D. 

Saw this on my Google News feed,

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-johnny-gaudreau-marries-meredith-morris

Congrats to Gaudreau on getting married (in Philadelphia)... 

Tkachuk was at the wedding too

This fake Mangiapane account wants to extend Gaudreau...

I agree with fake Mangiapane, extend Gaudreau before the season begins.  If not, then he's going to Philly next summer and we are going to lose him for nothing.  If not Philly then surely NJD, NYR, or NYI.  He's worth too much to us to let him walk to UFA.  It would be a huge mistake.

Not sure who else was at the wedding besides Tkachuk and Mangiapane but it's nice to see the boys bonding.  If there are questions of Tkachuk not being liked in the dressing room, I mean, at least he was invited to Johnny's wedding.  

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree with fake Mangiapane, extend Gaudreau before the season begins.  If not, then he's going to Philly next summer and we are going to lose him for nothing.  If not Philly then surely NJD, NYR, or NYI.  He's worth too much to us to let him walk to UFA.  It would be a huge mistake.

Not sure who else was at the wedding besides Tkachuk and Mangiapane but it's nice to see the boys bonding.  If there are questions of Tkachuk not being liked in the dressing room, I mean, at least he was invited to Johnny's wedding.  

The life of every party made an appearance

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Saw this on my Google News feed,

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-johnny-gaudreau-marries-meredith-morris

Congrats to Gaudreau on getting married (in Philadelphia)... 

Tkachuk was at the wedding too

This fake Mangiapane account wants to extend Gaudreau...

for me, it was older leadership vs younger. Giordano and Lucic were probably saying he had to reel it in. 

We already saw it over the years, these guys aren’t willing to go up to bat for each other. Is that Gio? He was a constant on the team. We were all relieved once Hamonic stepped up in the early part of the season. It catapulted the team into 2nd overall because they were willing to play for each other for at least a half a season. How do you keep the emotions and playing for each other running? 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

for me, it was older leadership vs younger. Giordano and Lucic were probably saying he had to reel it in. 

We already saw it over the years, these guys aren’t willing to go up to bat for each other. Is that Gio? He was a constant on the team. We were all relieved once Hamonic stepped up in the early part of the season. It catapulted the team into 2nd overall because they were willing to play for each other for at least a half a season. How do you keep the emotions and playing for each other running? 

In some ways I can't really blame Lucic.  

He is a paid fighter that gets his knuckles beat up on a guy's helmet.

Must be tiring.

The game in question was a frustrating loss, but some of the guys were okay and just skated off.

Matty decided an insult is an insult.Flew off the handle.

Gio was the guy on the ice that didn't press it.

Lucic is a proud guy, so I think he hates more that players give up than anything else.

He will go to war if it's worth it.

Gio, at times, was more concerned about leaving and moving on.

I hope they decide as a group to fight to the end in every game.

Sutter seemed to bring that mentality to the team.

They played the final games like they were in the playoff race.

I want that.

I hated the result, but whatever.

It's what you want your team to do, play at or above their level not below.

F the draft pick.

If we deserve a lotto pick we get one, otherwise gve us 13th.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Must be tiring.

The game in question was a frustrating loss, but some of the guys were okay and just skated off.

Lucic is a proud guy, so I think he hates more that players give up than anything else.

I want that.

F the draft pick.

Lucic and Gio, can't blame them in the slightest they are both incredible talents that have been more than physical in their primes.   Gio may not have ever been an enforcer but he wasn't to be messed with either.   Lucic was the complete package.  Power forward enforcer.

They old.

Period.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Must be tiring.

I want that.

F the draft pick.

That game and incident in question  polarized a few things. One this club has and still does have an idenity issue. When MT was drafted his role model was and still is Corey Perry. If this is your clubs future leader that you KNOW drags everyone into the battle, do you not think run support is important as a GM? Now they signed Lucic to add some support. When you restrain a through bred horse from doing what its is wired to do, you get a broken down pony, as indicated in MT performance after that incident. As much as Hamonic was not a good fit on the roster he was and still is a true team player, same can be said for Ritchie. When liberties are being taken on your  players than a message must be presented back, Jukara took a poor run at Kylington and Ritchie knocked him out, message sent and received. That incident gave Ritchie another oppurtuity with the Flames. The other issue is piss poor leadership. The Lucic contract has not been a bad as we have all felt but his leadership IMHO has been sub standard, he was brough into intimidate, leader and protect, which he has not done. I liked Gio as a player but always felt his leaderhsip skills lack in the area most needed, which was supporting players on the ice. Granted he maybe a good athlete, great community supporter which are not to be discounted, but your role extends to the ice surface as well. I have mentioned multiple times this club has gone soft. I am not looking for the line brawls and fists but for sure I am looking for a F push back when the ooponnets get in your teams crease, best players getting hacked and whacked. This club has allowed itself to get pushed around, far to long. The minute the stand their ground and play for the logo on the front as opped to the name on the pay check, things will change 

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

That game and incident in question  polarized a few things. One this club has and still does have an idenity issue. When MT was drafted his role model was and still is Corey Perry. If this is your clubs future leader that you KNOW drags everyone into the battle, do you not think run support is important as a GM? Now they signed Lucic to add some support. When you restrain a through bred horse from doing what its is wired to do, you get a broken down pony, as indicated in MT performance after that incident. As much as Hamonic was not a good fit on the roster he was and still is a true team player, same can be said for Ritchie. When liberties are being taken on your  players than a message must be presented back, Jukara took a poor run at Kylington and Ritchie knocked him out, message sent and received. That incident gave Ritchie another oppurtuity with the Flames. The other issue is piss poor leadership. The Lucic contract has not been a bad as we have all felt but his leadership IMHO has been sub standard, he was brough into intimidate, leader and protect, which he has not done. I liked Gio as a player but always felt his leaderhsip skills lack in the area most needed, which was supporting players on the ice. Granted he maybe a good athlete, great community supporter which are not to be discounted, but your role extends to the ice surface as well. I have mentioned multiple times this club has gone soft. I am not looking for the line brawls and fists but for sure I am looking for a F push back when the ooponnets get in your teams crease, best players getting hacked and whacked. This club has allowed itself to get pushed around, far to long. The minute the stand their ground and play for the logo on the front as opped to the name on the pay check, things will change 

I got really annoyed watching him play against his "friends" prior to this season.  It seemed like either he didn't want to engage or he was neutered by the coach Wardo.

What is really strange is that Lucic fought Nurse the day after Wardo was fired.  Ritchie fought 10 days later.  The stick incident with Tkachuk happened in January.

Whatever the lack of identity was then may have been resolved by Sutter talking to Lucic, either directly or indirectly through Huska.  I'm just speculating here.

It definitely changed over the course of March.  Some hanging on to old ways, but we started having each other's backs.    

6 minutes ago, zima said:

Brad R why please why another bottom player don't we have better kids just waiting to prove them selves ? Plus there is a young RFA in Donato that has more upside than Brad don't you think?

Richardson doesn't block anyone, and quite honestly I don't think there is anyone ready to be a 4th line center in the system. Gawdin is ok, but his skating is average at best. Ruzicka isn't ready.

Donato is skilled but again he isn't a great skater. Adding guys like Lewis and Richardson is about making the bottom 6 faster and harder to play against.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Richardson doesn't block anyone, and quite honestly I don't think there is anyone ready to be a 4th line center in the system. Gawdin is ok, but his skating is average at best. Ruzicka isn't ready.

Donato is skilled but again he isn't a great skater. Adding guys like Lewis and Richardson is about making the bottom 6 faster and harder to play against.

Well said. Our bottom 6 needed a serious upgrade away from borderline NHL players.

I’ve liked the moves. Especially the annoyed fan reactions.lol

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yes for sure.  Giordano was happy to go to work, go home, and go to work again the next day.  Slow and steady wins the race.  An 82-game season is long so can't spend all your energy in a week.  Besides, we didn't have the muscles on the team to play that agitating style game in game out.  Tkachuk, on the other hand, has balls that are too big and needs to let the entire NHL know about it, every game.  The older guys just don't buy into that philosophy... call it youthful enthusiasm vs elder wisdom or whatever.  There is/was a clash of personalities.

Who is right/wrong?  Well, I think somewhere in between is where we need to be.  We've been too nice for too long and yet, we don't have the type of team to go to the trenches every single game so we don't want to bring that reputation onto ourselves.

Lucic, for all that he is, is a nuclear deterrent that is best used as a credible threat and not literally used all the time.  He's getting older and also needs to pace himself.  He also brings Cup experience and understands you have to pick your battles.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well said. Our bottom 6 needed a serious upgrade away from borderline NHL players.

I’ve liked the moves. Especially the annoyed fan reactions.lol

Lewis and Richardson surely would've retired if we didn't sign them though.  Borderline NHLers... I think Derek Ryan at $800k would have been a better signing.  He has proven PK abilities if that's what we were looking for.  I hope Richardson is not going to be the next Nordstrom.  

55 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

But that's the chicken or the egg.  We are at a point with Ruzicka where he needs more NHL minutes to be ready... Grow with him for 30 games and by December, he could really blossom.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

But that's the chicken or the egg.  We are at a point with Ruzicka where he needs more NHL minutes to be ready... Grow with him for 30 games and by December, he could really blossom.  

I watched most of his games in the AHL last year and he was really streaky offensively, and he has a long way to go defensively. His game isn't near ready for Sutter hockey. He still needs time in the AHL.