2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We won't be sliding until we are eliminated.

This weekend could be the end of it.

Or it could mean we are back from the brink.

Lol.  You mean the other way around?

We won't be sliding until we're in the playoff race.  This weekend could be the end of it.  Then, we start winning again.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lol.  You mean the other way around?

We won't be sliding until we're in the playoff race.  This weekend could be the end of it.  Then, we start winning again.

Our karma was win or lose the wrong game at wrong time.

One win too few, WPG gets Laine.

One game too many, CBJ gets PLD (or Laine or Tkachuk or Puljujarvi).

Perhaps Karma is changing for us now?

If so, we go on another losing streak, VAN gets just enough to finish 4th and we get passed by DET, SJS, LA, CBJ and OTT. 

I'm thinking we go on a another losing streak because Sutter likes Ritchie in the top 6 and Nesterov playing with Ras.

TBH, I don't see us beating the Oilers, Ottawa, WPG or VAN.

We get maybe 1 or 2 wins at most.

This isn't about the 21 draft but so far at the under 18s your seeing why the Flames could be smart to try and target the 22/23 drafts. Shane Wright and Connor Bedard are some pretty special talents. 

Not easy anymore with lottery odds etc but could sure turn things around here. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

This isn't about the 21 draft but so far at the under 18s your seeing why the Flames could be smart to try and target the 22/23 drafts. Shane Wright and Connor Bedard are some pretty special talents. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and would see the benefit if we used our 1st this year to land another pick next year, in which I would even consider using our 2023 pick in order to gain an additional 2022 1st round pick.

I have been playing around with different options on CapFriendly, and think it’s a very good possibility to use our 2021 1st, 2023 1st along with our additional third this year along with some of our players to make some trades that could land us 2 additional 1st round picks and an additional 2nd round pick in 2022.

I believe that we can do it without completing gutting our team also. 
I also believe that if they were able to position themselves with that many bullets (6 in the top 60 picks) that BT could make some big moves in order to regroup this team for the future. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Especially Bedard, what he is doing as a 15 year old is pretty impressive, like almost comparable to what another Connor was doing at 15.

In this draft Mason McTavish is having a strong U18 and is ranked close to where Calgary will be picking. He would be a solid pick for us. Good compete level, great shot, just seems to know how to put the puck in the net, good size, plays center. He checks a lot boxes for this organization, especially the goal scoring ability.

I'll watch some more games but i'm not that high on McTavish so far. I don't think his upside at the NHL level is that high becuase while his goal scoring ability is great i'm not seeing much else in his game. Makes me question his upside. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Bedard is ridiculous.  That kid is going to be one special NHL player

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Going by recent trends, 2022/23 should be a year we are out of the playoffs.

I'm sure we are going to miss out on that special player.

Depends.  If Gaudreau leaves after 2022, then we have no more game breakers.  Monahan's numbers will probably drop.   Giordano also retires and we have no Norris Dman anymore.  Lucic and Backlund could be useless old anchors by then.  It could be a pretty ugly 2022/23 season.

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Depends.  If Gaudreau leaves after 2022, then we have no more game breakers.  Monahan's numbers will probably drop.   Giordano also retires and we have no Norris Dman anymore.  Lucic and Backlund could be useless old anchors by then.  It could be a pretty ugly 2022/23 season.

Yes, that's what I am saying.  We may have one year left with Gio, Lucic and Backlund being effective.

Lucic has no milestones that he will reach any time soon, so he is only playing for fun or playoffs.

So, I almost expect a playoffs in 21/22 and missing in 22/23.

If we somehow traded Gio this summer, then we may be able to turn Ras into a 10x better player.

He needs the right partner like Gio had.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, that's what I am saying.  We may have one year left with Gio, Lucic and Backlund being effective.

Lucic has no milestones that he will reach any time soon, so he is only playing for fun or playoffs.

So, I almost expect a playoffs in 21/22 and missing in 22/23.

If we somehow traded Gio this summer, then we may be able to turn Ras into a 10x better player.

He needs the right partner like Gio had.

Right.  Unless something drastically changes this off-season, I think 2022/23 is looking very bad for us.  Our contracts have been structured with expiring dates that summer.  We will lose our #1 offensive weapon in Gaudreau and Tkachuk needs a new contract.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Right.  Unless something drastically changes this off-season, I think 2022/23 is looking very bad for us.  Our contracts have been structured with expiring dates that summer.  We will lose our #1 offensive weapon in Gaudreau and Tkachuk needs a new contract.

Tkachuk boned us.

That really goes back to playing hardball with Gaudreau though.

Had we done the proper term with JH, we would have had more runway to be able to keep or trade him.

As it stands, Tkachuk was again not projected for the right term.

While BT can be given props for his value on negotiations, he planned it too close together.

It seems like they were designed to be able to restructure the team, but does not have that okay to do from ownership.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, bigfaninlethbridge said:

Bedard is ridiculous.  That kid is going to be one special NHL player

Yup so we have no chance at getting him...probably Pits or Edm take another flop year...or Pho or well any team but Cgy...even if we are dead last...we just will never get that talent here unless we make a stellar trade...the the only reason we got Iggy 

Nikita Chibrikov is having a very good U18 for the Russians. 2+8-=10 in the prelims. 

LHS that plays the RW like a lot of Russians seem to. Some comparisons to TOR 1st rounder Rodion Amirov. Chibrikov is a shifty, highly skilled player and if he were picked by the Flames, I think he becomes the most skilled player in the system. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/nikita-chibrikov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://smahtscouting.com/2021/04/04/scouting-report-nikita-chibrikov/

It will take a little bit of patience with Chibrikov, but it could be worthwhile. One thing this season has shown is, the Flames need talent. Pelletier and Zary are good prospects, but I'm not sure they have the ceiling of a Chibrikov. 

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Question - Is this the last year you can move up more than 10 spots with a lotto win?

I read where that starts in 2022.  Is that right or is that the Oiler rule that starts next year.  Or both.

I think it's this year for the 10 spot rule. So BUF or whoever finishes last is guaranteed a top 3 pick as there are only lotteries for the 1st and 2nd pick.

I think the 2 lotto wins in 5 years starts this season, so NJ is still eligible, despite having 2 prior 1st overall picks

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Nikita Chibrikov is having a very good U18 for the Russians. 2+8-=10 in the prelims. 

LHS that plays the RW like a lot of Russians seem to. Some comparisons to TOR 1st rounder Rodion Amirov. Chibrikov is a shifty, highly skilled player and if he were picked by the Flames, I think he becomes the most skilled player in the system. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/nikita-chibrikov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://smahtscouting.com/2021/04/04/scouting-report-nikita-chibrikov/

It will take a little bit of patience with Chibrikov, but it could be worthwhile. One thing this season has shown is, the Flames need talent. Pelletier and Zary are good prospects, but I'm not sure they have the ceiling of a Chibrikov. 

Do you think the organization is capable of that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Do you think the organization is capable of that?

They probably don’t. Which is also why I don’t think they’d take Wallstedt either.

Chibrikov and most other Russians have contracts that likely don’t expire for a couple years. So they are a ways away. Wallstedt, being a goalie would obviously require patience.

I’m not sure this management group is comfy enough in their future to select a player that’s a bit of a project in terms of their timeline and how soon the flames can have them under contract. Kinda like Podkikzin in VAN

I would disagree on the reasoning for Wallstedt or other goalies.

The reason they likely don’t take another tendy would be the long term contract of Markstrom and the fact that they have Wolf in the system that they will be developing. That is ignoring Zagidulin and Parsons.

Only way I see the Flames take a goalie is if they think he can backup Markstrom right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

The reason they likely don’t take another tendy would be the long term contract of Markstrom and the fact that they have Wolf in the system that they will be developing. That is ignoring Zagidulin and Parsons.

Only way I see the Flames take a goalie is if they think he can backup Markstrom right away.

thats not thinking long term enough. But maybe you’re meaning a 1st round goalie? 

I think it could be wise to draft a goalie this year or next. Markstrom will have what, 5 more years left on the contract? In 3 years they will know whether Wolf is for real. If he’s not, won’t we want another goalie in case? They’d likely be ready in 3-4 years. A few years in Junior or College. A few years in the AHL, and ready! 

we all saw how two of our goalies’ careers got bit by the injury bug and never got back on track, at crucial development stages of their careers. 

I agree with you though. I don’t think they’ll take a goalie, for your reasons for sure. 

if this draft is ripe with high end D as JJ points out a lot about the draft, why not stock up and find some other positions later in the process? We need at least 1 elite D. Wont say we will find it this draft but maybe we do find something close?

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

thats not thinking long term enough. But maybe you’re meaning a 1st round goalie? 

I think it could be wise to draft a goalie this year or next. Markstrom will have what, 5 more years left on the contract? In 3 years they will know whether Wolf is for real. If he’s not, won’t we want another goalie in case? They’d likely be ready in 3-4 years. A few years in Junior or College. A few years in the AHL, and ready! 

we all saw how two of our goalies’ careers got bit by the injury bug and never got back on track, at crucial development stages of their careers. 

I agree with you though. I don’t think they’ll take a goalie, for your reasons for sure. 

if this draft is ripe with high end D as JJ points out a lot about the draft, why not stock up and find some other positions later in the process? We need at least 1 elite D. Wont say we will find it this draft but maybe we do find something close?

We need D, RHS's, RW's and C's.  Of the top teams in the NHL, only a few have home-grown goalies.

While I agree that you should draft a goalie almost every year, you should not use a 1st on anything other than a must have.

Wallstedt or Costco may be the best in the draft, but I don't have a crystal ball to suggest they are must haves.

Wallstedt ranked above Cossa, but didn't really have a standout performance this year.  Fasth (Yikes) leads the league.

Cossa had better numbers, but I don't know what you can glean from this "special" year.

If we can get a good C, a good RHS RW or a good RHS D from this draft, we will be better off than not.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

5 more years on Markstrom.  If you take a high end goalie this summer at 18, then he is likely not ready to make it to the NHL until 21/22... And that's easing them in as a backup first.  They won't be full time starting until 23/24.

I would argue it's the perfect time to take a goalie.  Perfect timing on the transition from Markstrom to Wallstedt.  One waning career and the other rising.  And also both Swedes so Markstrom can mentor Wallstedt before Markstrom retires and hands off the throne.

And while Wolf is developing well, we have to remember he's still 5'-11" (as if he's 6'-0" as listed)... 

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

5 more years on Markstrom.  If you take a high end goalie this summer at 18, then he is likely not ready to make it to the NHL until 21/22... And that's easing them in as a backup first.  They won't be full time starting until 23/24.

I would argue it's the perfect time to take a goalie.  Perfect timing on the transition from Markstrom to Wallstedt.  One waning career and the other rising.  And also both Swedes so Markstrom can mentor Wallstedt before Markstrom retires and hands off the throne.

And while Wolf is developing well, we have to remember he's still 5'-11" (as if he's 6'-0" as listed)... 

So were just supposed to ignore all his #s and accolades so far in his young career because he's shorter than average?  The idea of bigger + better has been slowly getting put out to pasture.  Sure overall a larger goalie covers more net but  puck tracking and positional awareness will win out in the long run.

8 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So were just supposed to ignore all his #s and accolades so far in his young career because he's shorter than average?  The idea of bigger + better has been slowly getting put out to pasture.  Sure overall a larger goalie covers more net but  puck tracking and positional awareness will win out in the long run.

when I was a kid, my dad’s favourite team was the Leafs. Allan Bester was my favourite goalie 😂🤣

him, and Mike Palmateer. 

it’s so funny to look at the goalies then compared to now. 

I just think it would be good to have a plan, having Wolf and another possible starter as a contingency plan. If the trend continues of needing two goalies over one bonafide starter, then that would be a good plan. Both young and if they end up with a good career, could always trade one for something of need. 

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

when I was a kid, my dad’s favourite team was the Leafs. Allan Bester was my favourite goalie 😂🤣

him, and Mike Palmateer. 

it’s so funny to look at the goalies then compared to now. 

I just think it would be good to have a plan, having Wolf and another possible starter as a contingency plan. If the trend continues of needing two goalies over one bonafide starter, then that would be a good plan. Both young and if they end up with a good career, could always trade one for something of need. 

That would need to be acknowledge by coaching and mgmt. The only time this organization plays the tandem system is when neither goalie is starter material.  Otherwise its ride the starter till he gets hurt then hope the backup has been utilized enough to not be completely out of his element.