2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Chaz Lucius is the guy I hope the Flames have on their radar. I think he has the chance to be the steal of the draft If he slides to the teens. On pure talent I don’t think there is a large difference between Lucius and Beniers, i in could argue there isn’t one.  

reminds me a lot of Lindholm 

We seem to only draft players out of the US in later rounds.

Might just be circumstance, but we focus on CHL and Europe a lot. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We seem to only draft players out of the US in later rounds.

Might just be circumstance, but we focus on CHL and Europe a lot. 

and europe seems to be a more recent phenomenon. I guess there was Backlund back in the day. There goes my theory... lol

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Loob has a big input over there, so that's only in the last number of tears IIRC.

and I think that’s great! Like, maybe the Euro scouts would have levied for Pastranak or someone European in that draft. Although it would have been a stretch considering how far back he was taken by the Bruins.

I am torn between two debates here, but...

With regards to us targeting a center:

1.  It's not the draft to do it.  Obviously the few top forwards will rank far higher than they normally would, and the top defencemen lower than normal.
2.  MORE importantly, it's Absolutely the wrong time for our organisation.  We're rebuilding.   It may not be official yet but it's pretty clear, there's no other way.
          Acquiring forwards instead of G/D will drag the rebuild out much longer than it needs to be, or, more likely, botch it entirely.

If there were ever a draft to acquire G/D, it's this one.   If there were ever a year where the Flames should acquire G/D, it's this one.

I fundamentally need to point out that targeting forwards ahead of defence/goaltending for our future is counterproductive, ludicrous, bad math, bad planning, bad hockey, bad timing, and short sighted.  100%.  Let's not mince words.  Let's get it together.

But.

I will say this.   BPA, which I do believe in, would technically allow us to pick a forward if it so happened.    Odds of this Truly happening are maybe 15% at best.  So this draft is Extra hard for us to screw up.   If BPA is a forward...ok.    But in that case, and in this draft, I would literally upgrade to the next BPA D or G.  If at all possible.  Or make a subsequent trade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I am torn between two debates here, but...

With regards to us targeting a center:

1.  It's not the draft to do it.  Obviously the few top forwards will rank far higher than they normally would, and the top defencemen lower than normal.
2.  MORE importantly, it's Absolutely the wrong time for our organisation.  We're rebuilding.   It may not be official yet but it's pretty clear, there's no other way.
          Acquiring forwards instead of G/D will drag the rebuild out much longer than it needs to be, or, more likely, botch it entirely.

If there were ever a draft to acquire G/D, it's this one.   If there were ever a year where the Flames should acquire G/D, it's this one.

I fundamentally need to point out that targeting forwards ahead of defence/goaltending for our future is counterproductive, ludicrous, bad math, bad planning, bad hockey, bad timing, and short sighted.  100%.  Let's not mince words.  Let's get it together.

But.

I will say this.   BPA, which I do believe in, would technically allow us to pick a forward if it so happened.    Odds of this Truly happening are maybe 15% at best.  So this draft is Extra hard for us to screw up.   If BPA is a forward...ok.    But in that case, and in this draft, I would literally upgrade to the next BPA D or G.  If at all possible.  Or make a subsequent trade.

What happens if it's a RW? Oh Boy!

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Their two best picks of the last decade come from the US. 

I was not saying Americans, I was talking about where they were drafted out of.

We didn't draft Tkachuk out of the US.

I was including Gaudreau in the later rounds.

Did I miss someone?

McKenzie's updated top 32

Raty starting to fall. bit of a shake up in the top 10 which makes sense in this draft class. But there does seem to be consensus forming on the top 8-10. I think it drops off after that. 

Power is also now the unanimous number one on the scouts that McKenzie surveyed. They all had him number 1 which is a change from the start of the year.  

If there was a year to trade back in the draft, this would be the year, especially if we aren't drafting in the top 10.  After the top 10 this draft is all over the place, I would drop back and pick up as many picks as I could, like they did last year. With the lack of games played and the lack of in person scouting there is bound to be some nice hidden gems in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. May as well get as many lottery tickets as you can. 

Matthew Coronato and Zachary L'Heureux are two guys later in the 1st round that I would have my eyes on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ya got me there.  Also a cautionary tale of player attitudes.  

Perhaps it's only an East Coast thing where players from certain areas only want to play for the Rags.

I blame Treliving but yeah some of those attitudes are appalling.

Life has a way of evening the score.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

McKenzie's updated top 32

Raty starting to fall. bit of a shake up in the top 10 which makes sense in this draft class. But there does seem to be consensus forming on the top 8-10. I think it drops off after that. 

Power is also now the unanimous number one on the scouts that McKenzie surveyed. They all had him number 1 which is a change from the start of the year.  

When Lambo?

Since we are drafting 15th this year.  We going to miss the playoffs by 1-point.

13 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

With us out of playoffs what is our likely drafting spot

Seattle gets 3rd best odds, so if you count down winning percentage from bottom to top, place the Kraken in the third spot and that’s where we are prelottery.

I think it looks like we are at #9 at the moment. We were as low as 6th. 

Given the chance, the Flames strongly need to consider trading down if they pick in the 10-12 range. There are a few clusters of similar players outside the top 10

I've seen a fair bit of guys like Sillinger, L'Heureux, Bolduc, Pinnelli, Dean and even Sillinger, there's not a lot separating them. I'd consider the players I listed to be relatively similar, if you're the Flames and you like those players, you can get one of them in the 20's. 

The issue would be you need to find a dance partner. Teams typically fall in love with the players at the combine when they can get the player in a room with the staff. That won't be happening this year. It might be a year with very few trade-up scenarios.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Yeah but now i dont understand it mind you but they have changed the drafting rules etc for the drafts now

I just look at the winning percentage right now of each team as a prediction of where teams might finish. We could finish Higher. 

but the trend seems to be about where we are at now. 

Watching the Canada v Sweden U18 game, and a couple of guys who have caught my eye for picks outside the 1st round.

Chase Stillman: Physical RW, plays with good pace, hard on the puck, good size.

Victor Sjoholm: Small RHS D, skates well, plays with some real bite and emotion.

Ryan Winterton: Puck hound, with good size and a good shot.

We currently pick 10th overall and playing very well.  But, there's actually a decent chance we drop all the way down to #5 if we go on a good slide.  Teams like SJ, LAK, and VAN have games in hand on us.

We honestly need to start Domingue or Zagidulin for a game or five down the stretch.

57ecgt.jpg