2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I am too, and as claimed before I don't see this as a weak draft in the slightest.

There wasn't a single defencemen last year anywhere close to Guenther's level.  Not a one.  Not close.

And there are a Handful of them in this draft.   Guenther has elite first-line skills.  To say the least.   He's trading at a discount because he's not huge.   But, this is a Strong kid and NHL size and NHL talent and he is quite frankly under-ranked.

Do you mean RW?  Guenther is a RW.  RHS RW and plays power forward game is exactly what we need.

However, if we are rebuilding then I would hope we can land Wallstedt G.  Build it from the back out... And that allows us to trade Markstrom and Rittich in a year or two.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do you mean RW?  Guenther is a RW.  RHS RW and plays power forward game is exactly what we need.

However, if we are rebuilding then I would hope we can land Wallstedt G.  Build it from the back out... And that allows us to trade Markstrom and Rittich in a year or two.

Oopps I didn't even mean Guenther lol I meant Clarke sigh.

I was just  trying to agree with people seems I need more practice.

All three are strong.   In our situation yeah I'd be targetting Wallstedt first, if not him then Clarke, would take Guenther too but it's not a great rebuild move.

There's actually a lot that interests me.   I like Wallstedt, but further down I also like Cossa.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Oopps I didn't even mean Guenther lol I meant Clarke sigh.

I was just  trying to agree with people seems I need more practice.

All three are strong.   In our situation yeah I'd be targetting Wallstedt first, if not him then Clarke, would take Guenther too but it's not a great rebuild move.

There's actually a lot that interests me.   I like Wallstedt, but further down I also like Cossa.

Lol RHS RD #1 Dman will go a long way too.  That will be a good add to the Blueline long term.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

How easily people forget that one of the Main reasons Markstrom signed here was because he was offered a NMC yet some seem to think moving him will be a non issue.

A year or two? That's a big wish that an 18yo unproven goalie will be ready in 2 years. 

Depending where the balls finally fall securing a Hedman type defence first d-man or a true #1C or RW (power forward type) should be the priority.

Goalies are voodoo, so imo I don't like drafting them in the 1st round. Maybe the ghost of Trevor Kidd haunts me, I dunno. I agree that at best a great goalie prospect is 4 year away from making the club, so they are a long term investment (and quite frankly, we have a really awful record of bringing these guys through our system. So many missed opportunities).

I'm almost always in the BPA mood, but if the skill gap is small between two prospects I would like to see us draft on the blue line.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

How easily people forget that one of the Main reasons Markstrom signed here was because he was offered a NMC yet some seem to think moving him will be a non issue.

A year or two? That's a big wish that an 18yo unproven goalie will be ready in 2 years. 

Depending where the balls finally fall securing a Hedman type defence first d-man or a true #1C or RW (power forward type) should be the priority.

I feel Markstrom signed here because of his best friends Lindholm and Nordstrom was here.  Trade them in a package.  He will waive.

And yes goalies take time.  However, do note the best of the best are NHL starters very young.  Price, Vasilevsky,... Recently Hart.  In the NHL by 21 as a backup and then a full time starter by 22.  

We have Wolf ready in 2 years.  The he can gain NHL experience first and morph into the backup behind Wallstedt.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I feel Markstrom signed here because of his best friends Lindholm and Nordstrom was here.  Trade them in a package.  He will waive.

And yes goalies take time.  However, do note the best of the best are NHL starters very young.  Price, Vasilevsky,... Recently Hart.  In the NHL by 21 as a backup and then a full time starter by 22.  

We have Wolf ready in 2 years.  The he can gain NHL experience first and morph into the backup behind Wallstedt.

I think he signed here cuz we offered a NMC.

Having buddies here may have helped, but I think he felt he would do well with a decent D in front of him.

Lindholm isn't the problem with this team, so packaging him and Markstrom isn't going to help.

Let's see whether we have the 1st half Markstorm to start next season.

He isn't going to bring back much right now, and we lose the only starter we have had in years.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Having buddies here may have helped, but I think he felt he would do well with a decent D in front of him.

Lindholm isn't the problem with this team, so packaging him and Markstrom isn't going to help.

He isn't going to bring back much right now, and we lose the only starter we have had in years.

No but I'm just saying, NMC doesn't mean he wants to stay here forever. It only means they have control over where they go.  If it's to a place they like or has a legit chance at winning the Cup then they could waive their NMC.  It's not easy and I never said it would be.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No but I'm just saying, NMC doesn't mean he wants to stay here forever. It only means they have control over where they go.  If it's to a place they like or has a legit chance at winning the Cup then they could waive their NMC.  It's not easy and I never said it would be.

I think the NMC was based on NOT going backwards to a rebuilding NONPLAYOFF TEAM. If Calgary is going to go retool and not compete for the playoffs for a few years, maybe an expansion team would end up ahead of the flames or he’d prefer a trade. I think he’s very intent on winning and if we aren’t winning, why does he wanna be here?

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think the NMC was based on NOT going backwards to a rebuilding NONPLAYOFF TEAM. If Calgary is going to go retool and not compete for the playoffs for a few years, maybe an expansion team would end up ahead of the flames or he’d prefer a trade. I think he’s very intent on winning and if we aren’t winning, why does he wanna be here?

Retooling is one thing.  It doesn't mean a step completely backwards.  It's about staying close to where you were.

Rebuild is a different story; he might or likely would waive.

He's probably shell shocked right now.

Never thought his play would drop off that much.

The summer will turn his game around, assumng we don't go too far towards rebuilding.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Retooling is one thing.  It doesn't mean a step completely backwards.  It's about staying close to where you were.

Rebuild is a different story; he might or likely would waive.

He's probably shell shocked right now.

Never thought his play would drop off that much.

The summer will turn his game around, assumng we don't go too far towards rebuilding.

ya, I think he might have thought it would be better in Calgary and I just didn’t think it would. I wanted to believe that a goalie would fix the problems, but it just can’t fix the flames d screw ups.

oh god! They’re blaming the goalies on the Fan right now. I think it’s loubo maybe Wills. Who has the normal less whiny voice? That’s who it is... but yes, goaltender could be better, but the team just hasn’t been better and you leave the kinds of chances other teams get, they’re going to score!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya exactly.  He thought we were a Cup contender so he wanted to stay here long term.  If we going to retool for a few years then maybe he doesn't want to be a part of that.

Just now, robrob74 said:

ya, I think he might have thought it would be better in Calgary and I just didn’t think it would. I wanted to believe that a goalie would fix the problems.

We fixed one problem and created another.

We had a good pairing in Hanifin-Ras and turned that into Hanifin-Tanev.

Gio's flaws were hidden by his younger age and Brodie's all round effort.

Ras doesn't fit with Gio.

We have gone backwards in defensive play.

2 years ago we were good.

Last year, we started to lose some of Gio's powers.

This year has been one good pairing through most games.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Agreed.  Try Hanifin-Andersson again.  It worked.

And use Valimaki-Tanev together to develop Valimaki.  Stop pairing him with borderline NHLers.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I agree, but I think they just went Gio top pair to the 2nd pair as top pair. The kinds of mistakes Gio’s making are what the Hanifin pair would make last year. And the third pair had always sucked.

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Some of these new goalies are that good.   I do hear what you're saying however that wish gets bigger every year we wait 

I like Wallstedt a lot. I think he’s better than Askarov and Knight.

I would just have a really hard time talking him with a pick inside the top 10. 

If the Flames wanted a 1st round goalie, I’d rather they trade back into the 1st to get Sebastian Cossa.  If it doesn’t pan out, it’s easier to stomach a later first not working than a 6th overall selection for example 

I am all for tanking this year, it just sucks that not only is this a weak draft year, Seattle also jumps into this draft and will have the 3rd best draft lottery odds pushing us down.

I just don't think we can catch the teams at the bottom at this point. 

Have to hope to get lucky in the draft lottery, but outside of that I think the best we can hope for is 5th overall. If the draft was tomorrow we would be picking 6th.

My top 10:

1. Matthew Beniers

2. Owen Power

3. Luke Hughes

4. Simon Edvinsson

5. Jesper Wallstedt

6. William Eklund

7. Brandt Clarke

8. Kent Johnson

9. Dylan Guenther

10. Chaz Lucius

IMO only Beniers and Power would have been top 10 picks last year, and both would have been 7th or later.

The good thing about the top end of this draft, it’s heavy with college and European kids and they’ve played a more typical schedule than the   CHL kids. Guenther and Clarke may be the only CHL players to go in the top 10, Clarke as an OHL guy, has spent the season in Slovakia. The Flames most likely won’t be in a spot where they are looking at a kid in the 1st round that hasn’t played meaningful hockey. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like Wallstedt a lot. I think he’s better than Askarov and Knight.

I would just have a really hard time talking him with a pick inside the top 10. 

If the Flames wanted a 1st round goalie, I’d rather they trade back into the 1st to get Sebastian Cossa.  If it doesn’t pan out, it’s easier to stomach a later first not working than a 6th overall selection for example 

lets trade someone for a later first rounder, then we use our first on a player and use the other on Cossa if he’s available with a later 1st. 

For context, the 2020 draft was considered very strong so while that sounds harsh it shouldn’t be. 2020 was an outlier. 

I think the 2021 draft has some really good players, im just not seeing the upside you’d ideally like to see at the top of a draft. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For context, the 2020 draft was considered very strong so while that sounds harsh it shouldn’t be. 2020 was an outlier. 

I think the 2021 draft has some really good players, im just not seeing the upside you’d ideally like to see at the top of a draft. 

I think we will end up with a very good core player, I just don't think there is that franchise altering player in this draft. 

I really like Matthew Beniers, very smart, very skilled, good skater, plays a full 200 foot game. Isn't the flashiest, but is very good all around number 1 center.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think we will end up with a very good core player, I just don't think there is that franchise altering player in this draft. 

I really like Matthew Beniers, very smart, very skilled, good skater, plays a full 200 foot game. Isn't the flashiest, but is very good all around number 1 center.

i agree. It’s still a talented top 10 I just don’t see a franchise player or game changer at any level. Maybe Owen Power if he puts it all together but I can also make a case Power is Griffen Reinhart too. 

this reminds me of the 2012 draft. Talent at the top but there won’t be a consensus and the best player in the draft may not be taken in the top 5 or 6. There were teams that still walked away from that draft happy, as there always is. 

I like Beniers too, he’s my favorite player in the class so far but my research is limited. I don’t see a number 1 center but a really good player. Reminds me of RNH. 

Since we won't see a tear down this year, I suspect we use this draft as simply adding to a depleted prospect pool.  I don't know that we are going to get any additional 2021 draft picks prior to the draft, other than later rounds, so I'm not expecting a big haul from this draft.  If we retool, it's going to be players and prospects coming in over picks.