2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Of course we will win the draft lottery this year as there are no clear franchise players.

We will then proceed to draft a Griffin Reinhart, Sam Bennett or Trevor Kidd and look back at the stud Dman that weas drafted 3 places later.

Glass is way past half empty at the moment with this team and ownership. 😞

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Of course we will win the draft lottery this year as there are no clear franchise players.

We will then proceed to draft a Griffin Reinhart, Sam Bennett or Trevor Kidd and look back at the stud Dman that weas drafted 3 places later.

this team is full of comedy of errors. And that’s exactly it.

8 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Is there a consensus #1 for the upcoming draft?

Nope, not even close, I have seen about 5-6 different guys listed in the number 1 spot. I have seen Beniers, Power, Hughes, Eklund, Clarke all listed as the number 1 pick on different lists.

59 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Keep in mind with all the flubs we've had over the past 30 years, dating back to the Kidd draft most were pretty consensus and not off the board.  Kidd was viewed by most to be the better goalie, even throughout junior was named best CHL goalie and was the starter for back to back world juniors and Memorial Cup winner.  Bennett was a consensus top 5, Monahan was a no-brainer where he went, same with Tkachuk.  Neither Daniel Tkaczuk or Rico Fata were off the board picks either, just busts.  I chalk most of our failures to bad luck than anything, we suck in either the wrong years or we don't suck good enough that we fall below the cutoff from great-good players

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Keep in mind with all the flubs we've had over the past 30 years, dating back to the Kidd draft most were pretty consensus and not off the board.  Kidd was viewed by most to be the better goalie, even throughout junior was named best CHL goalie and was the starter for back to back world juniors and Memorial Cup winner.  Bennett was a consensus top 5, Monahan was a no-brainer where he went, same with Tkachuk.  Neither Daniel Tkaczuk or Rico Fata were off the board picks either, just busts.  I chalk most of our failures to bad luck than anything, we suck in either the wrong years or we don't suck good enough that we fall below the cutoff from great-good players

Not only do you have to suck, but you have to suck really badly consistently to have a chance at the right 1st overall.

Hall, Nuge, Yak, McD.  Not to even mention Draisaitl at 3rd and Nurse at 6th. 

That won't ever happen again with the new rules.

The Oiler rule.

How many years did BUFF suck and they still placed 2nd in the sweeps with Eichel and Reinhart; Dahlin may be a gooder.

Some are still doing it.

EDM is almost as close to a lotto team as a playoff team.

Lucky to play a team 7 times where their goalies were like butta.  

Mike Smith out of the cryogenic freezer in time to play 20+ games.

But I digress.

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

That's the spirit 😂

Next season is the season to tank but we will squeeze into the playoffs in the final week and lose 4-straight.  The season will be deemed an improvement and we are supposed to move forward with optimism.

Hope this team stops doing the same thing expecting different results.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's the spirit 😂

Next season is the season to tank but we will squeeze into the playoffs in the final week and lose 4-straight.  The season will be deemed an improvement and we are supposed to move forward with optimism.

Hope this team stops doing the same thing expecting different results.

All this talk of draft picks is silly, what this team really needs is to acquire a 30+ year old goalie, expect them to stay healthy and then pay them roughly double their fair value as this I find motivates them.

We should be good to go after that, I don't know why they haven't tried it.

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

All this talk of draft picks is silly, what this team really needs is to acquire a 30+ year old goalie, expect them to stay healthy and then pay them roughly double their fair value as this I find motivates them.

So our 1st for Freddy Andersen? I think we should include Rittich though, it’s only fair, lol. 
Appreciate the cynicism 🤣

I haven’t dug into this draft yet, but I’m gonna try and add to @Crzydrvr thread again

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Could also try for another Leland Irving.

The one that got away.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Could also try for another Leland Irving.

The one that got away.

You look at the 2006 draft and it was almost impossible to fail in hindsight.  Especially with goalies, nearly all of them had solid NHL careers.

Except us, who didn't go BPA and arguably drafted Irving out of order even for goalies, and then did an absolutely aweful job developing him.

Remember how you felt about Ward?  Well if that is valid and we're just noticing that now, all of management needs to go.

Goaltending staff, as you know, is even worse.

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

So our 1st for Freddy Andersen? I think we should include Rittich though, it’s only fair, lol. 
Appreciate the cynicism 🤣

I haven’t dug into this draft yet, but I’m gonna try and add to @Crzydrvr thread again

Freedy's our guy man, we just gotta pry him from Ottawa, and then all we need is a quick retool.

A quick retool as in,

A first line center

A first and 2nd line RW

A first line LHS and RHS D

A starting goalie  (oh sorry I mean Freddy Andersen)

So yeah just a quick retool.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You look at the 2006 draft and it was almost impossible to fail in hindsight.  Especially with goalies, nearly all of them had solid NHL careers.

Except us, who didn't go BPA and arguably drafted Irving out of order even for goalies, and then did an absolutely aweful job developing him.

Remember how you felt about Ward?  Well if that is valid and we're just noticing that now, all of management needs to go.

Goaltending staff, as you know, is even worse.

Drafting, development questionable.

The good - Wolf

The questionable - Parsons and Gillies

The bad - MacDonald

Wolf is yet to be ruined.

Parsons has struggled with the mental side of the game since turning pro, so it's hard to blame development entirely on him.

Gillies is one of those goalies that you can't really tell.  Injury derailed his season and never seemed to recover.

I can't tell if Laberra is a good goalie coach or not.  Sigalet's record is questionable at best. 

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What if Sam Bennett became an 80-point Center?

What if Mason Mcdonald became better than Thatcher Demko?

What if Adam Fox signed here?

So many what ifs

what if we drafted Demko instead, didn’t trade for Hamonic and drafted Dobson? What if we drafted Point, or Kucherov when they liked him but gambled he’d be there in the next round? Exactly, too many what if’s! 

The thing is that every team, every GM, every scout has the same what ifs. Calgary and Treliving are no different than any other team out there. We just focus on it more because we follow the Flames more than the other teams.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The thing is that every team, every GM, every scout has the same what ifs. Calgary and Treliving are no different than any other team out there. We just focus on it more because we follow the Flames more than the other teams.

So true.  VAN fans like to trash Benning a lot.

Does Demko and Petey get him a pass?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

JJ LOVED Ortio. But maybe the Flames ruined him.

Still left the organization at 25, was plenty of time for someone to swoop in and turn him around.  Nobody did, nobody has given him another shot and now he's been battling with Henrik Karlsson (remember him) for the net in the KHL and losing.  25 is never too late for goalies look at Jack Campbell, I do think organizations can ruin players but I think in the most part the failure falls on the player.

• Like 1

William Eklund is going to be very interesting to track as the draft approaches. 

He's essentially played his entire draft eligible season in the SHL. He's 5th in SHL pts/g for draft eligibles in league history, behind the Sedin's, Lindholm and Backstrom. 

I think he's got a real chance at being the top forward off the board. Likely depends on if a team believes he can play C. 

On 4/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, sak22 said:

Still left the organization at 25, was plenty of time for someone to swoop in and turn him around.  Nobody did, nobody has given him another shot and now he's been battling with Henrik Karlsson (remember him) for the net in the KHL and losing.  25 is never too late for goalies look at Jack Campbell, I do think organizations can ruin players but I think in the most part the failure falls on the player.

And still has a better record here than the last guy we paid $5 million along with most of the others.  Definitely one of the better KHL goalies out there.

It wasn't that I loved Ortio, it was that we were in a time where everyone was Kipper Krazy and wanted nothing to do with goalie development.    Not once did I suggest that Ortio was sufficient for that.    We had long heated debates about Any kind of goalie development because people couldn't see past Kipper and the latest 30+ year old we were bringing in as back up, or how Ramo would be the next kipper, or all the other over-aged kippers we brought in that never were kipper.

After a decade of total and complete undisputed goaltending "Quick-Fix" failures people still are so clueless that they think Ortio is the moral of the story when it comes to the Flames.  Think of that.  Over a decade of trying to do patch-work on the most important position in the game and yet we're surprised with where we are.

Our complete and utter failure in net, and our train wreck of a development and drafting in net, is the moral of the story.

Never has it been more clear that we need strong drafting and development in net after our Yet Again failure to retool with a rent-a-has-been / rent-a-coulda-been.

Time to get over yourselves and get with the rebuild cause it's happening with or without you just like math does :)

On 4/7/2021 at 11:13 AM, JTech780 said:

it’s also too bad we continue to harp on the negative side of the what if Fox had signed and never look at the positive that it was another steal by the Flames scouting staff. 
as you say all franchises have what if’s but not many have the mid to late round value picks the flames have had recently. Too bad we don’t talk about that more. 

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't surprise me if Cole Sillinger is a player the Flames really like.

I think he's a player this management group would covet. He's a lot like previous Flames picks, Zary/Pelletier/Mangiapane. Decent size, thinks the game well, average skater, very competitive. Sillinger and Zary actually had similar draft-1 seasons, Sillinger with 1.104pts/g and Zary with 1.063pts/g.

The public sphere has Sillinger ranked anywhere from 10th-20th. In the 10-12 range would be the earliest for me, although his bloodlines will certainly vault him up the boards of some clubs.

While you never draft on immediate need, the Flames have nobody on their roster or in the system that can put the puck in the net. I wouldn't mind seeing that addressed in the 1st round if the opportunity presents itself. Nothing against Sillinger, because I do like his game. I see him as a safer pick, like a Pelletier or Zary. Given the choice, I'd go with a guy like Chaz Lucius over Sillinger. Fills a few organizational needs, RHS and I think he has a higher offensive ceiling than Sillinger. 

One final point and I'll push back on myself a bit here, there's a ton of uncertainty in this draft. I think you'll see more teams trying to hit "doubles" than "homeruns", which is why a Sillinger selection wouldn't surprise me from the Flames, bloodlines and all. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The public sphere has Sillinger ranked anywhere from 10th-20th. In the 10-12 range would be the earliest for me, although his bloodlines will certainly vault him up the boards of some clubs.

If he takes after his dad, he'll always have trade value.

• Like 1

Chaz Lucius is the guy I hope the Flames have on their radar. I think he has the chance to be the steal of the draft If he slides to the teens. On pure talent I don’t think there is a large difference between Lucius and Beniers, i in could argue there isn’t one.  

reminds me a lot of Lindholm 

• Like 1