2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

As it sits today, we are sitting 5th, meaning a 6th draft position, better or worse than that.

Possibly 8th, 7th, 2nd or 1st.

We could place as low as 3rd worst or jump up to last playoff spot.

A loss today seals the fate, but a win drives us up two spots.

Crazy.

If we end up 6th, I think we end up with Geunther.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately every team in our vicinity is thinking the same thing.  It will be very difficulty to pull off.

You may be right, but there are only a handful of teams that are in a similar position as us. We have some very good complimentary pieces we can add in a trade. 

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As it sits today, we are sitting 5th, meaning a 6th draft position, better or worse than that.

Possibly 8th, 7th, 2nd or 1st.

We could place as low as 3rd worst or jump up to last playoff spot.

A loss today seals the fate, but a win drives us up two spots.

Crazy.

If we end up 6th, I think we end up with Geunther.

There's a real chance we go 5-0 to end the season and pick 15th.  But we will miss the playoffs of course.  So we are closer to the 15th pick than the 5th pick.

I'm thinking 11 or 12 spot right now but we have to lose to the Sens tonight and start playing Zagidulin against the Canucks.   There's a high probability we win 3 of 4 against the Canucks even with Zag in net because the Canucks have mailed it in already.  They are not even trying to hide it.

In the 11 or 12 range, I hope we take a good look at Sebastian Cossa.  From his highlight packages, he's not as athletic as Wallstedt but still moves well enough for a big guy.  At 6'-6", he covers so many net so he doesn't need to move much.  Reminds me of Markstrom/Smith.  He's posting a 0.941 sv% this year in WHL.  17W 1L.  The kid is doing something right.

42 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

You may be right, but there are only a handful of teams that are in a similar position as us. We have some very good complimentary pieces we can add in a trade. 

Another sad thing to note is the Pacific Division is soo bad next season that we might make the playoffs while half trying to tank.  

VGK will run away with the title and EDM will coast in with an average team.  After that, CGY, VAN, SJS, ANA, LAK... 5 teams in a rebuild (or still building) And expansion team Krakens.  ARI is moving to Central right?

It will be very difficult being dead last in that group and the Krakens may not repeat the success of VGK.  Competition for Wright/Bedard will be tough the next two years.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

There's a real chance we go 5-0 to end the season and pick 15th.  But we will miss the playoffs of course.  So we are closer to the 15th pick than the 5th pick.

I'm thinking 11 or 12 spot right now but we have to lose to the Sens tonight and start playing Zagidulin against the Canucks.   There's a high probability we win 3 of 4 against the Canucks even with Zag in net because the Canucks have mailed it in already.  They are not even trying to hide it.

I wouldn't say the Nucks have mailed it in.

If it wasn't for a 5-3 PP for the Oilers last night, and 2 PP goals, the result was in question.

VAN has two games that are must win for them.

They can eliminate both the Flames and Habs by winning all their games and MTL losing all.

But the chances of wither VAN or CGY moving on are slim.

All they need is a single point or a loss by either team.

Unfortunately, if they start Zag, he's likely to go on a heater.

The rest of the team will have checked out if we lose one game.

Do we have the equivalent of a Seilof to mess up our draft odds?

Wallstedt!  Wallstedt!!  Wallstedt!

Cossa's pretty darn good too actually.

Brandt Clarke looks great.

Maybe it's just me but I'm loving this draft.   That is until the Flames manage to pick a LW to add to their collection.

18 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Maybe it's just me but I'm loving this draft.   That is until the Flames manage to pick a LW to add to their collection.

the LW’s are always the BPA!

• Like 1

Have two kids from the same team ever been drafted #1 and #2 in the same draft?  Powers and Bernier have a chance to do this?  And then it must be asked, have there ever been 3 from the same team go 1, 2, and 3?  Kent Johnson is pretty good.  From what I can see, he's smarter and has better offensive vision than Bernier but Bernier has all the better raw skills like skating, shot, energy, etc.

Could shape up to be something like,

#1 Power

#2 Clarke

#3 Guenther

#4 Bernier

#5 Johnson

#6 Wallstedt

#7 Eklund

#8 Cossa

#9 McTavish... 

...Luke Hughes looks kinda bland to me.  He plays simple and steady hockey.  Great general X's and O's but I don't see any high end offensive flash.  Doesn't seem to have a particularly hard shot.  Doesn't seem to have elite puck carrying abilities.  Is he more of a shut down Dman?  I feel like if his name was John Doe then he's a 2nd round ranked player.  

...Simon Edvinsson has been ranked as high as #3 by some websites but I don't get it.  They write he's fast for a big guy but from what I can tell from highlights, he is average speed.  No way he skates as well as some say.  Not saying he's slow but he's not a blazing speedster.  They say he hits and has elite defensive tools... Okay, great.  But rarely is defensive tools top 10 worthy because those tools can be found in the 2nd rounds.  After all, scoring is the hardest thing to do in all of hockey.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Isn't Cossa playing behind a stacked Oil Kings team?

Getting Guenther there would be bananas. 

However, unless they win the lottery I don't think it's happening. Flames would have to lose all 4 games against the Canucks and hope all of LA, Ott and SJ win their last game. 

Hoping for a lottery win now

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Getting Guenther there would be bananas. 

However, unless they win the lottery I don't think it's happening. Flames would have to lose all 4 games against the Canucks and hope all of LA, Ott and SJ win their last game. 

Hoping for a lottery win now

Oh sure.  I doubt we manage to lose all 4.

The absolute worst we can finish is 6th last, which means 7th overall.

Like you, I am hoping we manage a lotto win.

Only 2 chances to win it this time, but still.

Nothing left this year but hope.

We are probably going to get 5-points in the remaining 4-games.  This puts us at 10th pick (because Arizona loses their 1st round pick).  It's hard to skip over Chicago for 11th... we pretty much have to win out.  And no, I don't think anyone is going to flip us because we have too many games in hand.  

Most likely outcome is pick #10... with a very very small chance of #11 (if we win out or if CHI, DAL, PHI, NYR, win the lottery).  Really unfortunate for us because it looks like there's about 8 or 9 good players and then a small cliff to the next group.

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

BPA is 100% subjective, everyones rankings are all over the place. Which means  Eklund could be BPA.  

Ya if the gap is NOT big, then go with the RHS RW/RD.  If the gap is big and BPA is a LHS LW, then you just have to take it.  If Eklund is on the board at pick #10, then that's a no brainer.  

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

BPA is 100% subjective, everyones rankings are all over the place. Which means  Eklund could be BPA.  

No doubt.  I just meant that there are enough in the top 10 that are bigger than 6 feet tall.

I don't know that we would target a guy 5'9" because he's BPA by some.

There probably enough guys similar in ratings that are not LW LHS under 6 feet.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.  I just meant that there are enough in the top 10 that are bigger than 6 feet tall.

I don't know that we would target a guy 5'9" because he's BPA by some.

There probably enough guys similar in ratings that are not LW LHS under 6 feet.

Ya I know, just poking fun at the past.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya if the gap is NOT big, then go with the RHS RW/RD.  If the gap is big and BPA is a LHS LW, then you just have to take it.  If Eklund is on the board at pick #10, then that's a no brainer.  

It's about as likely that Eklund goes at 10 as Guenther.

Even if we were to trade Gaudreau, we have a current crop of Dube and Mangiapane and Pelletier.

Only one has shown ability to play RW.

I'm not saying go off the board, just that we can't continue to just draft LW small guys if the gap is not there.

I'm not as discriminating if it was a LHS C or Lysell (RW - 5'10").

Just please no more LHS LW under 5'10".

Hehe

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ya I know, just poking fun at the past.

Funny.  I get a little sensitive at draft time.

Liked the Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Valimaki picks.

Okay with Pelletier, as he is one of the best players in the Q.

Beyond that, drafting smaller guys outside the 1st round is fine.

The player the Flames select in this draft, instantly becomes their best prospect. That's the beauty of this draft. They will get an exciting player, which is a nice little reward after this dreadful season.

One thing I've found in watching the draft for several years, someone always falls, relative to public opinion.

Last year it was Perfetti going 10th. Many thought he was going 4th. If the Flames pick 10th or 11th I wouldn't be shocked if a Guenther or Eklund is there when the Flames pick. I could see Hughes falling a bit, but realistically I can't see NJ or VAN passing on him, pushing a player I personally like better down the board. 

This isn't as good an example, but Tkachuk at 6th. I remember heading into the 2016 draft that it wasn't really even worth talking about Tkachuk because everyone figured he was going 4th to EDM.