2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

26 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

That would need to be acknowledge by coaching and mgmt. The only time this organization plays the tandem system is when neither goalie is starter material.  Otherwise its ride the starter till he gets hurt then hope the backup has been utilized enough to not be completely out of his element. 

yup! It’s been a huge frustration in that regard. I mean, I guess Ritter has the ability to play in the NHL but has to play regular to be on, but can’t play full time. I wish he took another step in development. 

can Markstrom handle the load? He has been a bit more beatable lately. Apparently he’s better when facing more shots and isn’t as good when a team plays defence and he doesn’t get the feel enough for the puck... I suppose that is most goalies. 

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So were just supposed to ignore all his #s and accolades so far in his young career because he's shorter than average?  The idea of bigger + better has been slowly getting put out to pasture.  Sure overall a larger goalie covers more net but  puck tracking and positional awareness will win out in the long run.

Not with smaller and smaller goalie gear.  Bigger goalies are becoming more in demand.  It's just reality.  Markstrom covers so much of the net naturally.  

Of course not saying Wolf won't make it.  Just saying there's a ceiling and we need to keep our expectations at check.  

Wallstedt has a bigger frame than Wolf but not as big as Markstrom so it's a really good combo if Wallstedt has high level of puck tracking and awareness.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! It’s been a huge frustration in that regard. I mean, I guess Ritter has the ability to play in the NHL but has to play regular to be on, but can’t play full time. I wish he took another step in development. 

can Markstrom handle the load? He has been a bit more beatable lately. Apparently he’s better when facing more shots and isn’t as good when a team plays defence and he doesn’t get the feel enough for the puck... I suppose that is most goalies. 

Rittich was great when he first broke into the NHL until Sigalet "got a hold of him".  LaBarbera seems to have ended Rittich further.  Markstrom was also great for us early until he settled in with our coaches...

Anyways, we need an upgrade to our goaltending development and coaching.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not with smaller and smaller goalie gear.  Bigger goalies are becoming more in demand.  It's just reality.  Markstrom covers so much of the net naturally.  

Of course not saying Wolf won't make it.  Just saying there's a ceiling and we need to keep our expectations at check.  

Wallstedt has a bigger frame than Wolf but not as big as Markstrom so it's a really good combo if Wallstedt has high level of puck tracking and awareness.

I'm just in the camp that size shouldnt be held in higher regard than actual performance, as Wolf works his way up to higher caliber shooters any shortcomings will be exposed.  In the end regardless (irregardless   :ph34r:) of size, tracking, awareness, attitude, stats, they all mean nothing if they dont transition over the the big league. Which is something you, me, or anyone else can never predict.

I'm just in the camp that size shouldnt be held in higher regard than actual performance, as Wolf works his way up to higher caliber shooters any shortcomings will be exposed.  In the end regardless (irregardless   :ph34r:) of size, tracking, awareness, attitude, stats, they all mean nothing if they dont transition over the the big league. Which is something you, me, or anyone else can never predict.

No.  I think the ceiling is in for a goalie who is 6'-0" (especially 5'-11").  It's just physics at that point.

I agree Wolf is undersized and it's going to be something to overcome, but at the same time to put a ceiling on it is foolish IMO. 

2 of the top 4 goalies in save % this year are 6'0 or less (both have played over 20 games as well)

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Rittich was great when he first broke into the NHL until Sigalet "got a hold of him".  LaBarbera seems to have ended Rittich further.  Markstrom was also great for us early until he settled in with our coaches...

Anyways, we need an upgrade to our goaltending development and coaching.

The one negative thing that Siggy did was get Rittich to play the puck more.

Last year was probably the end to his career in Calgary.

Injured mid-season, was replaced by Talbot.

Played nothing until being called into actions in the 2nd period of an elimination game.

Smart coaching that was.

This year they did the same thing and rode Markstrom until he broke.

We will need another 1b to be able to compete next season.

There should be a variety of 1b options next season.

Depending on what the team does this summer, we might attract a decent backup or scare them away.

I can't say that Lababara was bad for either goalie this year.  It's not so much style or performance as much as scheduling.

Really poor game management.

Started with Wardo last year, continued with him this year until Markstrom was broke.

Sutter didn't change anything, because he was of the belief you have a starter play the majority.

Back to draft picks.

Draft a goalie, but don't pick the highest rated unless you are convinced they are a stud.

Askarov is still a big question mark.  

With all the high rated players last year, he went 11th last year.

Would we draft a lesser goalie at 10th or so?

I hope not.

For anyone interested, the US is playing Sweden right now on TSN. Lots of NHL draft prospects in that game.

Simon Edvinsson- He's come a long way since the U17's in Med Hat/Swift. Ranked anywhere between 2nd and 11th. Long, rangy, mobile. Reminds me of OEL.

Fabian Lysell- Slightly undersized, but a really dynamic winger that's a dual threat play driver. I've always thought of Rakell as a comp, going back to the U17.

Simon Robertsson- Hard worker, has a heavy shot. Has the ability to be a modern day power forward. LHS that plays the RW.

Isak Rosen- Really skilled, soft hands, threat every time he's on the ice. I see a bit of Gaudreau in Rosen's game. 

Sasha Pastujov- LHS that plays the RW. Really good vision, able to find seams frequently. Pretty physically mature, despite being rather young for this draft.

Aidan Hreshuck- Less than 6'0", pretty much the modern day defender, mobile, good puck mover, can join the rush. Looks a bit like Tory Krug.

Those are just a handful of players in the game, there are a bunch of other players that will be drafted. Those are just guys I like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Looks like he doesn't see his teammates.

On the wraparound goal, I guess you can make the argument that he should have passed. Still it was a highly skilled play.

The thing is, that was an elimination game last night and Lysell elevated his game in a big spot. He was engaged, his wraparound goal was seconds after the Americans tied it up and Lysell put a finger up to "shush" the crowd. This is a kid who wants to be a difference maker when it's on the line. Flames could certainly use more personalities like that. 

Lysell figures to go in the neighbourhood of where the Flames will be picking and he would be a very exciting selection. He's a talent that will be bring folks out of their seats. He plays with pace, can shoot it as well as dish it, RHS. All the boxes are checked off from a Flames standpoint.  

On 5/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

For anyone interested, the US is playing Sweden right now on TSN. Lots of NHL draft prospects in that game.

Simon Edvinsson- He's come a long way since the U17's in Med Hat/Swift. Ranked anywhere between 2nd and 11th. Long, rangy, mobile. Reminds me of OEL.

Fabian Lysell- Slightly undersized, but a really dynamic winger that's a dual threat play driver. I've always thought of Rakell as a comp, going back to the U17.

Simon Robertsson- Hard worker, has a heavy shot. Has the ability to be a modern day power forward. LHS that plays the RW.

Isak Rosen- Really skilled, soft hands, threat every time he's on the ice. I see a bit of Gaudreau in Rosen's game. 

Sasha Pastujov- LHS that plays the RW. Really good vision, able to find seams frequently. Pretty physically mature, despite being rather young for this draft.

Aidan Hreshuck- Less than 6'0", pretty much the modern day defender, mobile, good puck mover, can join the rush. Looks a bit like Tory Krug.

Those are just a handful of players in the game, there are a bunch of other players that will be drafted. Those are just guys I like. 

He should be ranked much higher IMO, i really like this kid. Depending on how the board fell I wouldn't have a problem with him being taken by the Flames in the low teens. 

He's got things to work on but if he corrects them, look out. 

• Like 1

Hard to see the Flames falling much further down in the standings.

NJ and DET (4th and 5th) can only finish with 49pts if they win out. One Flames win  and they can’t finish lower than them.

CBJ with 2 games left can finish with 50pts. SJ, LA and OTT can finish ahead of the Flames. Very similar pt totals with those 3 teams. LA has 4 of 5 against COL, not likely to win many of those. SJ has ARI and VGK. OTT has the Flames, Jets and Leafs

I think best case scenario the Flames are picking in the 7-13th range. I really hope the VAN series doesn’t go all that well, I’m all in on getting a good pick at this point...

• Like 1

Flames currently sit 8th worst.

Considering we couldn't beat a team on a 7 game losing streak in a game we had to win, I don't see us doing much against Ottawa.

Or having much motivation or pride to beat the Nucks.

I know they can't really cancel the Nucks series, it would not be fair to the teams that played a full (2/3) season.

It's quite possible that we end up 3rd worst.

Lotto odds would probably mean we get bumped from 4th to 6th.

Not sure this is even a year to win the lotto.

Another Hughes?

Power is giant, but a LHS.

At least he played in the NCAA a year.

Berniers is a LHS C.

Guenther looked pretty decent, but I wonder if he just is having a good short season.

Not really motivated for this year's draft.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Considering we couldn't beat a team on a 7 game losing streak in a game we had to win, I don't see us doing much against Ottawa.

I know they can't really cancel the Nucks series, it would not be fair to the teams that played a full (2/3) season.

Another Hughes?

Berniers is a LHS C.

Guenther looked pretty decent, but I wonder if he just is having a good short season.

Unfortunately, the Nucks have already packed it in.  After getting Covid run through their team and rushed back to the ice, I think they've just about had it with the NHL and the season.  Not to mention they have to play 8 games in 14 days.  They've shut down Pettersson for the year.  They are not even trying anymore.

I really hope the NHL would cancel the final 3 Flames vs Canucks games.  There's nothing to be gained.  Both teams out of the playoffs playing for nothing. Fans can't go to the games anyways with the lockdowns.  Flames and Canucks should be seeded for the draft based on win %.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Another Hughes?

Berniers is a LHS C.

In the odd chance we end up with a top 5 pick, I would not hesitate to take Brandt Clarke, he is a game changer who has been playing with men all year in Slovakia and has not only been holding his own, but producing. 
Anyone else I have seen (although they are very good hockey players) not many are ready for the NHL and most look to be bottom 6 forwards in the future or 2nd pairing D men.
The other top 3 D-Men being Power, Hughes, and Edvinsson are all very similar in my opinion. Good size, LHS D men who are mobile and more or less responsible defensively. If Hughes can elevate like Quinn in the right situation could help be a bit of a game breaker, but IMO, they all look, feel, and sound like a Hannifin 2.0 (which I don’t think we need).

My only other maybe exception is Geunther as an organizational need. RW with decent size already and has a very good hard accurate shot. 
IF on the odd chance we get put in a spot high enough to take Clarke, you take him. If we drop into 8-15 spot range, and Guenther and Wallstedt are off the board. I think you look to package that 1st and a player like Backs, Looch, Gio to land a 1st for next years draft. Make a long term move and deal with the backlash which at this point I don’t think there would be much from us fans. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately, the Nucks have already packed it in.  After getting Covid run through their team and rushed back to the ice, I think they've just about had it with the NHL and the season.  Not to mention they have to play 8 games in 14 days.  They've shut down Pettersson for the year.  They are not even trying anymore.

I really hope the NHL would cancel the final 3 Flames vs Canucks games.  There's nothing to be gained.  Both teams out of the playoffs playing for nothing. Fans can't go to the games anyways with the lockdowns.  Flames and Canucks should be seeded for the draft based on win %.

As much as that makes sense, it's not really fair to other teams.  

You would need to calculate at a certain point for all teams.

I get what you are saying; it's meaningless (so it appears) if both teams are eliminated.

More likely they play and the playoffs start at the same time.

7 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

In the odd chance we end up with a top 5 pick, I would not hesitate to take Brandt Clarke, he is a game changer who has been playing with men all year in Slovakia and has not only been holding his own, but producing. 
Anyone else I have seen (although they are very good hockey players) not many are ready for the NHL and most look to be bottom 6 forwards in the future or 2nd pairing D men.
The other top 3 D-Men being Power, Hughes, and Edvinsson are all very similar in my opinion. Good size, LHS D men who are mobile and more or less responsible defensively. If Hughes can elevate like Quinn in the right situation could help be a bit of a game breaker, but IMO, they all look, feel, and sound like a Hannifin 2.0 (which I don’t think we need).

My only other maybe exception is Geunther as an organizational need. RW with decent size already and has a very good hard accurate shot. 
IF on the odd chance we get put in a spot high enough to take Clarke, you take him. If we drop into 8-15 spot range, and Guenther and Wallstedt are off the board. I think you look to package that 1st and a player like Backs, Looch, Gio to land a 1st for next years draft. Make a long term move and deal with the backlash which at this point I don’t think there would be much from us fans. 

I wish that the ownership could get a feel for their fanbase. I'd say the majority of fans would like some form of big change on the roster. Management built the team and the players don't play up to snuff. It's a catch-22 as responsibility seems to lie on both. I don't actually know if the team was ever really that good. We've always seen that when the games get tough (when other teams actually play or try), that the Flames just can't keep up or take the pressure. Now that tells me it's the team that has been assembled more than the presonnel. If you can't defend or counterattack when a team pressures, the team isn't a good team.

This is a year where I wouldn't want the Flames to win the lottery. It's been a challenging year for scouts and there's no standout player at the top of this draft class. 

I think this draft will be like 2017 and 2012, where the best players in the draft aren't selected in the top 2. Don't get me wrong, I like the players at the top of this class, but I have no idea who should go 1st, there are like 5 players you can make a case for. That makes it really hard to get that pick right.

The sweet spot for me would be in the 4-8 range. There's a cluster of players in this draft, I don't think the difference between 1st and 7th is as big this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a year where I wouldn't want the Flames to win the lottery. It's been a challenging year for scouts and there's no standout player at the top of this draft class. 

I think this draft will be like 2017 and 2012, where the best players in the draft aren't selected in the top 2. Don't get me wrong, I like the players at the top of this class, but I have no idea who should go 1st, there are like 5 players you can make a case for. That makes it really hard to get that pick right.

The sweet spot for me would be in the 4-8 range. There's a cluster of players in this draft, I don't think the difference between 1st and 7th is as big this year.

So that means we are winning the lottery this year and cannot win it the next 2... Right?

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So that means we are winning the lottery this year and cannot win it the next 2... Right?

Oh absolutely, it feels like the Flames will win the lottery this year or all years lol.

At 1st I think it would be Power. If they picked 2nd, it could be like 7 guys. 

I like that you can only win the lotto twice in five years now, but I really hope this isn't the year the Flames finally win one...

The lottery rule change for winning twice in 5 years takes effect next year. Winning

this year wouldn’t count. 

I get there is no consensus number one but winning the lottery means your still walking away with your best player.  I’d still take that personally especially in a draft that I think is thin on potential difference makers. You might not get one at 4 or past 5. 

I think Guenther is number one myself. Securing him would be a big win. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

The lottery rule change for winning twice in 5 years takes effect next year. Winning

this year wouldn’t count. 

I get there is no consensus number one but winning the lottery means your still walking away with your best player.  I’d still take that personally especially in a draft that I think is thin on potential difference makers. You might not get one at 4 or past 5. 

I think Guenther is number one myself. Securing him would be a big win. 

Seeing as to most there is no decisive #1 OA and even the top 10 is subjective do you now draft BPA or draft for positional need?  Sure the odds of getting to pick first are slim but do you pass on Power for someone like Beniers or Guenther?

Seeing as to most there is no decisive #1 OA and even the top 10 is subjective do you now draft BPA or draft for positional need?  Sure the odds of getting to pick first are slim but do you pass on Power for someone like Beniers or Guenther?

IMO you should always draft BPA and I don't understand why the draft class would change that. I think positional needs gets considered when you are thinking BPA though unless there is a prospect who is clearly better. 

I would pass on Power, not because I prefer the positions that Beniers or Guenther play it's because I think they are better prospects. Right now I would have Power as my 4th best player in the class so it's not a position thing for me at all and I like Brandt Clarke more anyway if we are talking Dmen.

• Like 1