2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

IMO you should always draft BPA and I don't understand why the draft class would change that. I think positional needs gets considered when you are thinking BPA though unless there is a prospect who is clearly better. 

I would pass on Power, not because I prefer the positions that Beniers or Guenther play it's because I think they are better prospects. Right now I would have Power as my 4th best player in the class so it's not a position thing for me at all and I like Brandt Clarke more anyway if we are talking Dmen.

I think if either is available when we draft, it has to be Beniers or Guenther.

I like the latter, but sometimes those US players can really surprise you.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would be surprised if either was available when we draft, unless we win the lottery or something drastic happens in the last few games. I think we will end up just outside the top 10 in this draft. As of today we are sitting at number 10.

I think Beniers, Guenther, Power, Clarke will all be gone by our pick.

I could possibly see Edvinsson fall. Kent Johnson is another name that I could see being available. I am a little higher on Mason McTavish than some, and he falls just outside the top 10 for me.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

IMO you should always draft BPA and I don't understand why the draft class would change that. I think positional needs gets considered when you are thinking BPA though unless there is a prospect who is clearly better. 

I would pass on Power, not because I prefer the positions that Beniers or Guenther play it's because I think they are better prospects. Right now I would have Power as my 4th best player in the class so it's not a position thing for me at all and I like Brandt Clarke more anyway if we are talking Dmen.

I only bring it up because of the seemingly  thin pool of prospects on the back end the team has.  As for  Power,  6'5" 215 lb d-man thats has .61 ppg stats this year?  I dont follow the prospects as much as others but that seems to be as close to a future stud d-man as you will find.

Owen Power has the highest ceiling of all the prospects.  That 6'-5" frame mixed with that skating.  Sure, he can become nothing more than Jaybo or Hanifin but the bottom is in.  At best he's going to be Alex Peitrangelo and become a #1 Dman who can play in all situations.

Bernier feels like a RNH or Matt Duchene.  Lots of speed and end to end rushes but lacks the elite level finish and vision.  I don't feel he's close to Mitch Marner or Tim Stutzle's potential.  He can carry the puck up ice and drive play at a high level.  For that, I think he's a worthy #1 overall in this type of draft.

Guenther attacks the net like no other.  He understands the danger areas and brings the puck there.  He also complements this with elite outside shooting.  Its hard to gauge two way play from highlight packages but you can see a kid who is a threat to score once in the O-zone.  I feel like he has potential to put up big numbers.  He looks better than Jack Quinn from last year's draft.

I'm also watching some Jesper Wallstedt highlights and to be honest, Askarov from last season was better than Wallstedt.

Both goalies are great at making the first save but Askarov really excels in 6th sense and reading the play.  A goalie's ability to anticipate and see one second into the future is what separates the good from the great and Askarov was years ahead of every other goaltending prospect in that aspect compared to what we've seen in a long time.

Wallstedt has NHL level angles and rebound control.  Okay, not bad.  Great start.  Almost reminds me of Markstrom in that he's going to stop everything he's supposed to but don't expect legendary level goaltending. 

So that said, he's a great pick to make if he's available in that 8 to 12 range because it's not a strong draft.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I wouldn't agree with that, D should get just as much consideration. I personally have Clarke over Beniers. 

But it is a good example of why I do thin winning the lottery would be great for the Flames. Without winning it I think the best case scenario is likely the Flames draft 8th and those 2 are not going to be there IMO. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I would be surprised if either was available when we draft, unless we win the lottery or something drastic happens in the last few games. I think we will end up just outside the top 10 in this draft. As of today we are sitting at number 10.

I think Beniers, Guenther, Power, Clarke will all be gone by our pick.

I could possibly see Edvinsson fall. Kent Johnson is another name that I could see being available. I am a little higher on Mason McTavish than some, and he falls just outside the top 10 for me.

I agree. I'm not a fan of Edvinsson myself and don't have him in the top 10. Here is a person I really hope that Flames are not targeting. Curious if you do?

In that 10 range I think Cole Sillinger should be on the radar too. Cole Sillinger and Chaz Lucius are my favorite 2 players that could be available around 10. 

32 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I only bring it up because of the seemingly  thin pool of prospects on the back end the team has.  As for  Power,  6'5" 215 lb d-man thats has .61 ppg stats this year?  I dont follow the prospects as much as others but that seems to be as close to a future stud d-man as you will find.

I have no problem with drafting a dman as long as they slot in the right spot. as I said I have Clarke as my 2nd best player in the class right now. 

So to clarify, having Power at 4 doesn't mean I don't like him or don't think he is good I just like others more. I do think he could be a really good NHL dman but I think his range of outcomes is wide. I do think if he hits he's Alex Pietrangelo but there is also a lot of Tyler Myers in his game too. He is pretty safe IMO, in that he will play in the league but I think his upside is what is in question for me. His hockey sense, for me, is not at an elite level. 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Owen Power has the highest ceiling of all the prospects.  That 6'-5" frame mixed with that skating.  Sure, he can become nothing more than Jaybo or Hanifin but the bottom is in.  At best he's going to be Alex Peitrangelo and become a #1 Dman who can play in all situations.

Bernier feels like a RNH or Matt Duchene.  Lots of speed and end to end rushes but lacks the elite level finish and vision.  I don't feel he's close to Mitch Marner or Tim Stutzle's potential.  He can carry the puck up ice and drive play at a high level.  For that, I think he's a worthy #1 overall in this type of draft.

Guenther attacks the net like no other.  He understands the danger areas and brings the puck there.  He also complements this with elite outside shooting.  Its hard to gauge two way play from highlight packages but you can see a kid who is a threat to score once in the O-zone.  I feel like he has potential to put up big numbers.  He looks better than Jack Quinn from last year's draft.

I agree with much of this, but personally I actually think Clarke has the highest upside. Clarke's IQ, especially in the offensive zone, is  off the charts good. Clarke reminds me so much of Dougie Hamilton it's uncanny. It's part of the reason I like Clarke more than Power I think his upside is higher. I agree with the Pietrangelo comparison but only  if everything works out and like I said earlier I see a lot of Tyler Myers when I watch him. 

Guenther for me reminds me a lot of Jeff Carter, with more potential on the goal scoring side If he can fix a few things with his shot/one timer he could be a huge weapon on the PP and put up 40 goals annually. I think his two way game needs work but he shows commitment to it so I think he'll get there. 

I like the upside of both Guenther and Clarke move than Power because I think it's more likely they'll reach it but that's certainly open for opinion there. 

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I wouldn't agree with that, D should get just as much consideration. I personally have Clarke over Beniers. 

But it is a good example of why I do thin winning the lottery would be great for the Flames. Without winning it I think the best case scenario is likely the Flames draft 8th and those 2 are not going to be there IMO. 

I agree. I'm not a fan of Edvinsson myself and don't have him in the top 10. Here is a person I really hope that Flames are not targeting. Curious if you do?

In that 10 range I think Cole Sillinger should be on the radar too. Cole Sillinger and Chaz Lucius are my favorite 2 players that could be available around 10. 

I have no problem with drafting a dman as long as they slot in the right spot. as I said I have Clarke as my 2nd best player in the class right now. 

So to clarify, having Power at 4 doesn't mean I don't like him or don't think he is good I just like others more. I do think he could be a really good NHL dman but I think his range of outcomes is wide. I do think if he hits he's Alex Pietrangelo but there is also a lot of Tyler Myers in his game too. He is pretty safe IMO, in that he will play in the league but I think his upside is what is in question for me. His hockey sense, for me, is not at an elite level. 

I agree with much of this, but personally I actually think Clarke has the highest upside. Clarke's IQ, especially in the offensive zone, is  off the charts good. Clarke reminds me so much of Dougie Hamilton it's uncanny. It's part of the reason I like Clarke more than Power I think his upside is higher. I agree with the Pietrangelo comparison but only  if everything works out and like I said earlier I see a lot of Tyler Myers when I watch him. 

Guenther for me reminds me a lot of Jeff Carter, with more potential on the goal scoring side If he can fix a few things with his shot/one timer he could be a huge weapon on the PP and put up 40 goals annually. I think his two way game needs work but he shows commitment to it so I think he'll get there. 

I like the upside of both Guenther and Clarke move than Power because I think it's more likely they'll reach it but that's certainly open for opinion there. 

Yeah Edvinsson is really falling down my list, I love the size and the skating ability, but I am starting to really question his ability to think the game.  I am starting to wonder if he is another Cam Barker, big guy that can skate, but doesn't think the game that well and doesn't have the extra gear intensity wise. That being said the physical tools are really intriguing.

Clarke is a guy who didn't jump out at me at first, but watching him a bit more I get a bit of a Adam Fox vibe from him. Maybe not the best skater, but thinks the game well and has that low heart rate, no panic in his game.

It's funny you mention Jeff Carter, because that has been my comparison for Mason McTavish. I have Cole Sillinger, Chaz Lucius and McTavish all really close on my really early list. I haven't dug into this draft class a whole lot yet, those are three guys that I like in that 10-12 range I think we will be picking in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree about Bernier.  As good as he is bringing the puck up ice, I think he lacks elite vision.  Sometimes you have to look for the little things like a smart hesitation/delay, ability to sell a fake, buying an extra second for a passing lane to open up, etc.  Bernier doesn't have this.  It's like Gaudreau who carries the puck up ice as far as he can go and only after that, then he looks for other options.  He doesn't move with a purpose to pull guys towards him to open ice for his teammates or anything extremely high IQ like a Marner or a Pettersson.  I think he's a good player but not a special player.

I'm checking out some more Clarke highlights and still hesitate to put him above Power.  Maybe because I'd rather have a Peitrangelo than an Erik Karlsson.  Power has potential to be more of an all-situation Dman.  Clarke is going to be great.  A poorman's Cale Makar by the looks of it.

I think I have it,

#1 Power

#2 Clarke

#3 Guenther

Guenther could be a bust if his power forward style cannot translate to the NHL with his 6'-1" frame.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I agree about Bernier.  As good as he is bringing the puck up ice, I think he lacks elite vision.  Sometimes you have to look for the little things like a smart hesitation/delay, ability to sell a fake, buying an extra second for a passing lane to open up, etc.  Bernier doesn't have this.  It's like Gaudreau who carries the puck up ice as far as he can go and only after that, then he looks for other options.  He doesn't move with a purpose to pull guys towards him to open ice for his teammates or anything extremely high IQ like a Marner or a Pettersson.  I think he's a good player but not a special player.

I'm checking out some more Clarke highlights and still hesitate to put him above Power.  Maybe because I'd rather have a Peitrangelo than an Erik Karlsson.  Power has potential to be more of an all-situation Dman.  Clarke is going to be great.  A poorman's Cale Makar by the looks of it.

I think I have it,

#1 Power

#2 Clarke

#3 Guenther

Guenther could be a bust if his power forward style cannot translate to the NHL with his 6'-1" frame.

For me I think Beniers has very good vision and strong two way ability, I think what he lacks is that dynamic ability to take over a game, and I am not sure that player exists in this draft. For me Beniers is very good across the board I just don't know that he is elite in any category, as far forwards go though he is the most well rounded in this draft IMO.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think I have it,

#1 Power

#2 Clarke

#3 Guenther

I agree with much of this, especially Beniers. Really good player but I don't see that high upside either because the IQ doesn't jump at you. I have the same RNH comp you do, which is still worthy of a high pick, but isn't a game changing pick. 

I'm with you when it comes to Power-Clarke in that you preference on style is going to have a big factor on who you like more. I can see why some scouts on Mckenzie's list didn't have Clarke as high (where some put him top 2) because he doesn't defend in the traditional way. Clarke is my kind of dmen though because I like the guys who can transition fast and be part of your attack. There are some games you watch Clarke and you'd swear he was playing forward. 

This is part of what holds me back a bit with power, i'm not sure I see a player who is going to be above avg in transition or part of an attack and that limits his upside for me. I get the appear to drafting him number 1 though but it's a lot of Eric Johnson vibes for me, a guy who you project to be a stud based on physical tools and what he's done up to this point but when you project them out you don't see that upside.

I don't really see Guenther in the power forward mode myself, in fact I see the opposite. I think his ceiling could move higher if he can get stronger and add more of a power element to his game. Right now I think he relies much more on speed, agility, smarts and his shot to produce and if he could get stronger on the boards he'd be a real handful and maybe a star. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't know much about Clarke.  Was just talking about the three I saw listed near the top.

As far as where we place, it's tough to call.  The worst we can do is place 3rd last, so we pick 4th unless lotto winners bump us down to 5th or 6th.

We could actually win the lotto for sure.

We could go on a 3 year winning streak in the lotto pool.

Realistically, we win one or more games and the ones below us don't catch up.

And then we pass the ones above us.

Worse case scenario. 

Fun little site.

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

Here's what I got

1st round- Kent Johnson C/LW

Big decision here was Johnson over Lysell

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/521697/kent-johnson

2nd round Stanislav Svozil LD

Big decision here was Svozil over Logan Stankoven

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/428002/stanislav-svozil

3rd round Samu Salminen C

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/554239/samu-salminen

3rd round Oscar Plandowski RD

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/473290/oscar-plandowski

5th round Aleksi Heimosalmi RD

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/601642/aleksi-heimosalmi

6th round Jake Chiasson RW

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/477353/jake-chiasson

7th round Bennet Rossmy LW/RW

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/542979/bennet-roßmy

This would be an exciting draft. Johnson falling to the Flames could be a steal, I don't care how stacked Michigan was, you don't go from the BCHL to NCAA and put up a pt/g unless you're really skilled. Svozil in the 2nd would also be really exciting. The beauty of having a high 2nd is you likely have a 1st round grade on the player you end up with

If anyone is interested, I would love to see what you end up with!

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Fun little site.

Here's what I got

This would be an exciting draft. Johnson falling to the Flames could be a steal, I don't care how stacked Michigan was, you don't go from the BCHL to NCAA and put up a pt/g unless you're really skilled. Svozil in the 2nd would also be really exciting. The beauty of having a high 2nd is you likely have a 1st round grade on the player you end up with

Kent Johnson looks like a smart player.  This is a nice highlight package below.

Several highlight reel passes which is what I like to see.  Uses his teammates well and sees everyone on the ice.   Several times he fakes shot and then does a no-look tape-to-tape cross ice pass in traffic.  I'd rather see this type of play than an end-to-end solo rush for a goal because those aren't common situations in the NHL.  These passes from Johnson in the attacking zone in traffic are common everyday situations in the NHL and he's doing it at a high level.

He's lists as 6'-1" 165LBS so he's going to have to bulk up which might alter his game (like Sam Bennett.)  Still, he seems smart enough on the ice that he's going to adjust.  He's one prospect I would be happy to see the Flames pick in the 8-12 spot.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Kent Johnson looks like a smart player.  This is a nice highlight package below.

Several highlight reel passes which is what I like to see.  Uses his teammates well and sees everyone on the ice.   Several times he fakes shot and then does a no-look tape-to-tape cross ice pass in traffic.  I'd rather see this type of play than an end-to-end solo rush for a goal because those aren't common situations in the NHL.  These passes from Johnson in the attacking zone in traffic are common everyday situations in the NHL and he's doing it at a high level.

He's lists as 6'-1" 165LBS so he's going to have to bulk up which might alter his game (like Sam Bennett.)  Still, he seems smart enough on the ice that he's going to adjust.  He's one prospect I would be happy to see the Flames pick in the 8-12 spot.

I like Johnson a lot and if he wasn't playing at Michigan I think there would be way more hype around him. 

He projects as a top 6 play-driving winger and the Flames really don't have that in the system, especially with Gaudreau's future being uncertain. 

I would have him and Dylan Guenther ranked very close together, although it seems that teams are very high on Guenther. 

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Fun little site.

Here's what I got

I got Kent Johnson and Stanislav Svozil in the first two rounds as well.

3rd Round: Benjamin Gaudreau G

3rd Round: Josh Doan C

5th Round: Peter Reynolds C

6th Round: Francesco Arcuri C

7th Round: Ethan Cardwell C

Went a little overboard on forwards.

Figured we needed a goalie so Gaudreau seemed like a solid choice in the 3rd.

Doan put up really good numbers in the USHL, and you know he has the work ethic with those bloodlines.

Reynolds is skilled player, and plays with fellow Flames prospects in Poirier and Francis.

The last two picks are OHL guys who went over seas to get playing time. I think both Arcuri and Cardwell would be gone way before this had they been able to play in the OHL.

• Like 1

Say what you will about Beniers' potential ceiling but watching lots of video I am super impressed at his compete level and high end motor.

His 200 foot game is also really impressive for his age.

As many of us have said, Mangiapane has been our most consistent battler all season. If we want more of that drive and work ethic and are fortunate enough to have him available whenever we pick I think Beniers would be an excellent choice.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:46 AM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Seeing as to most there is no decisive #1 OA and even the top 10 is subjective do you now draft BPA or draft for positional need?  Sure the odds of getting to pick first are slim but do you pass on Power for someone like Beniers or Guenther?

If we are drafting top 10 to 15, then I think we have to go BPA because the difference between one player and the next is too noticable. Can't reach for a RHS RD, for example when you pick 10th but the next available RHS RD is ranked 26th.  But in the second round where the gap between one player and the next is not that big, then start picking by team needs.

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If we are drafting top 10 to 15, then I think we have to go BPA because the difference between one player and the next is too noticable. Can't reach for a RHS RD, for example when you pick 10th but the next available RHS RD is ranked 26th.  But in the second round where the gap between one player and the next is not that big, then start picking by team needs.

There are very few prospects that fit into our organizational needs. For me our 1st pick should either be Brandt Clarke or Dylan Geunther, after that if they are both gone I could make a case for Benniers or Powers (although I don’t know how they propel us further than where we are at currently). 

For me I think that if we fall into the 10-15 range, I would be a lot happier to package our 1st this year with another asset, to land an additional 1st either next year or 2023. Where the drafts are deeper and most likely we are higher up in the lottery and would be able to weaponize the advantage of having two 1sts, and in 2022 two seconds and two thirds. It’s time we start making smart moves, time to start positioning chess pieces for the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

There are very few prospects that fit into our organizational needs. For me our 1st pick should either be Brandt Clarke or Dylan Geunther, after that if they are both gone I could make a case for Benniers or Powers (although I don’t know how they propel us further than where we are at currently). 

For me I think that if we fall into the 10-15 range, I would be a lot happier to package our 1st this year with another asset, to land an additional 1st either next year or 2023. Where the drafts are deeper and most likely we are higher up in the lottery and would be able to weaponize the advantage of having two 1sts, and in 2022 two seconds and two thirds. It’s time we start making smart moves, time to start positioning chess pieces for the future.

Right now, I agree that if you’re looking at organizational need, only Clarke and Guenther fit the bill.

The player the Flames pick won’t be on the team in 21/22 in all likelihood, so I still think BPA has to be the play. Right now the team has a glut of LHS, but Gaudreau, Monahan, Gio and even Tkachuk may not be Flames in two seasons. If Kent Johnson is the best available player, take him. There’s not a ton of high end talent in the system, I think that’s what BT really needs to look at in this draft, find someone that has the ability to be a game breaker. I liked the Zary and Pelletier picks, but they aren’t going to be driving the bus as NHLers

I do like the idea of trading down again this year. If the Flames were to win the lotto, I would really consider moving down to the 5-8 range and collecting a 1st+ next year. If the Flames pick 10-12th, I would also consider a trade down if the board doesn’t fall a certain way

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Right now, I agree that if you’re looking at organizational need, only Clarke and Guenther fit the bill.

The player the Flames pick won’t be on the team in 21/22 in all likelihood, so I still think BPA has to be the play. Right now the team has a glut of LHS, but Gaudreau, Monahan, Gio and even Tkachuk may not be Flames in two seasons. If Kent Johnson is the best available player, take him. There’s not a ton of high end talent in the system, I think that’s what BT really needs to look at in this draft, find someone that has the ability to be a game breaker. I liked the Zary and Pelletier picks, but they aren’t going to be driving the bus as NHLers

I do like the idea of trading down again this year. If the Flames were to win the lotto, I would really consider moving down to the 5-8 range and collecting a 1st+ next year. If the Flames pick 10-12th, I would also consider a trade down if the board doesn’t fall a certain way

If you can package our 1st this year and Gaudreau to New Jersey for Mercer and their 1st next year? Would you make that trade or select Kent Johnson? Even if we had to retain and or add a prospect, this is how you manage for the future. 
Next year that would give you (like I said) 2-1sts, 2-2nds, 2-3rds. There is definitely a package we can put together to ensure we get Wright at the draft. And even if NJ’s pick was lotto protected it would slide to 2023 giving us 2 chances at Bedard. 
I think we’re in a position to roll the dice for a shot at Wright or Bedard not to mention the other top prospects coming. That’s why I move this years pick if it’s not for a game changing talent. Mediocrity needs to end.

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

If you can package our 1st this year and Gaudreau to New Jersey for Mercer and their 1st next year? Would you make that trade or select Kent Johnson? Even if we had to retain and or add a prospect, this is how you manage for the future. 
Next year that would give you (like I said) 2-1sts, 2-2nds, 2-3rds. There is definitely a package we can put together to ensure we get Wright at the draft. And even if NJ’s pick was lotto protected it would slide to 2023 giving us 2 chances at Bedard. 
I think we’re in a position to roll the dice for a shot at Wright or Bedard not to mention the other top prospects coming. That’s why I move this years pick if it’s not for a game changing talent. Mediocrity needs to end.

Personally, I would have a hard time moving the Flames 1st in a Gaudreau trade, although I get what you mean, adding picks for 2022 is such a smart move and we saw it at the TDL. 

In regards to NJ, they are right up there with BUF in terms of being the one of the least successful franchises of the last decade. They've missed the playoffs in 9 of the last 11 seasons, I can't imagine that sits well with their ownership, especially considering this is a team with 2 recent 1st overall selections and another top 6 selection in 2021. If there's a team BT should intend to take advantage of, it's them. I know NJD fans think they can just wait for Johnny in UFA, but that's not typically how it works, Tom Fitzgerald needs to start winning, for his own job security. A good way to do that is starting to add legit NHL talent like Gaudreau. 

Again, I agree Flames ownership really needs to look at the 2022 and 2023 drafts, they have the opportunity to really change the complexion of the franchise, which also nicely lines up with the opening of a new arena in the next half decade. The good thing is, the Flames may "unintentionally tank", they will likely try to compete next year, like they did this year. The team just won't be all that good and as a result, will be picking high next year.

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Personally, I would have a hard time moving the Flames 1st in a Gaudreau trade, although I get what you mean, adding picks for 2022 is such a smart move and we saw it at the TDL. 

In regards to NJ, they are right up there with BUF in terms of being the one of the least successful franchises of the last decade. They've missed the playoffs in 9 of the last 11 seasons, I can't imagine that sits well with their ownership, especially considering this is a team with 2 recent 1st overall selections and another top 6 selection in 2021. If there's a team BT should intend to take advantage of, it's them. I know NJD fans think they can just wait for Johnny in UFA, but that's not typically how it works, Tom Fitzgerald needs to start winning, for his own job security. A good way to do that is starting to add legit NHL talent like Gaudreau. 

Again, I agree Flames ownership really needs to look at the 2022 and 2023 drafts, they have the opportunity to really change the complexion of the franchise, which also nicely lines up with the opening of a new arena in the next half decade. The good thing is, the Flames may "unintentionally tank", they will likely try to compete next year, like they did this year. The team just won't be all that good and as a result, will be picking high next year.

So would you package our 1st with Johnny to help our draft position later on down the line or not? Because alone, I don’t think Johnny gets you their 1st next year, I think it has to be a package deal. Giving them our first this year, gives them (3) 1sts and can probably use them to move up to pick who they want. For them picking Powers first overall is a good choice as they need a steady eddy d man with Ty Smith being their high ceiling offensive player. I think it’s a trade that can make sense for both teams.

I think we’re agreeing, but I sense some hesitancy.

1 minute ago, pikey7883 said:

So would you package our 1st with Johnny to help our draft position later on down the line or not? Because alone, I don’t think Johnny gets you their 1st next year, I think it has to be a package deal. Giving them our first this year, gives them (3) 1sts and can probably use them to move up to pick who they want. For them picking Powers first overall is a good choice as they need a steady eddy d man with Ty Smith being their high ceiling offensive player. I think it’s a trade that can make sense for both teams.

I think we’re agreeing, but I sense some hesitancy.

The biggest thing for me is I have faith in BT being able to get a good return in a Gaudreau trade. I don't think he would have to include the 2021 1st. I just look back to the Bennett trade. This player was malcontent and the entire league knew it. As fans, we thought he would net maybe a 3rd. BT was able to get a 2nd and a top 5 prospect out of FLA. Pretty good deal for someone who wasn't gonna be a Flame past this season. 

Maybe NJ isn't the trade partner, but I think the Flames can get a 1st and a prospect like a Mercer in a Gaudreau deal without giving up CGY's pick. 

If we were talking about Monahan, I think it's a different story, I would be surprised if he nets a 1st. Best case I think you do a pick swap, maybe you get a 1st but have to send a 2nd. But with Gaudreau being the Flames offensive catalyst, I'm a little more optimistic. We'll see though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Unfortunately every team in our vicinity is thinking the same thing.  It will be very difficulty to pull off.