COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

We ordered from Spud.ca for a weeks worth of food Friday. Right now, like People, we have about a few weeks worth of food. We are using this time to eat up cooked frozen food. I guess I’m hindsight we probably should save it. But it’s precooked food on the border of been frozen too long already.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Stay safe everone.

Drop in and post if you like.

Tell a funny story if you have one or just want to ramble.

Seems like all anyone is doing these days is surfing anyway.

I was just thinking if this china virus was to get worse and last into next season we could possibly get decent trades in. LIKE:

To CGY: Kopitar

to LAK: 2 Alberta beef, 3 pigs and 12 chickens

LOL

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

I was just thinking if this china virus was to get worse and last into next season we could possibly get decent trades in. LIKE:

To CGY: Kopitar

to LAK: 2 Alberta beef, 3 pigs and 12 chickens

LOL

It would be nice if Calgary would allow backyard chickens.  Like up to 4 or something.  Comes in handy in times like these.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It would be nice if Calgary would allow backyard chickens.  Like up to 4 or something.  Comes in handy in times like these.

If this gets bad enough, there are lots of rabbits running around in parts of Calgary...    https://whatsinthepan.com/how-to-cook-pan-roasted-rabbit-in-wine-sauce/  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

True true.  If there were bats too, then we can always make soup as well.

Bats and pangolins...   That's how all this Satoshi got started in the first place...   :blink:

ps...   Full disclosure...   I back onto a small lake and there are lots of rabbits that come by...   and I feed them things like the carrot peels and outer lettuce leaves instead of throwing them out...   I don't eat the rabbits, or the ducks and geese that will soon be here...   :lol:

11 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I have been wondering about produce... 

How are you cleaning it? I did some Google research, and someone was saying to clean it with soap and water. I've never washed kale with soap, and that seems a bit ridiculous. I have been able to find information on how the virus lives on plastic, metal, etc... but nothing about how long it lasts on produce, and nothing useful about cleaning it. Thing is, as I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, it's a pretty important part of my diet. I went to the grocery store last night, and I was able to get some produce, and I found a bag of rice, but almost all of the cans, and all of the pasta were gone.

Love.  

I cant confirm on how this works on viruses but a 25% mix (1:3) solution of vinegar to water works well for bacteria, choliforms, Y&M, and also does a good job of rinsing off potential agricultural chemicals.  Keep some in a salad bowl and wash the veggies then rinse.  If the smell is a little strong you can use a 1:4 dilution, just wash a little longer.  On the small chance you have access to it pure citric acid also works well in comparable ratios.

@redfire11, @The_People1, @Carty, @flames-fan-in-jets-land

Thanks for the info, Fellas! There's some really good stuff in there. Usually I just wash the produce with salt water, but usually there's a lot less to worry about. I was able to get into a Whole Foods today, and they had some canned food (that they didn't have any of at the other grocery stores), and although chick peas and black beans are $3.19/can, I picked up a few, and made a giant chili that should last for about a week. That combined with all the other stuff should get us through for a bit. I was even able to get a cake! The grocery stores in my neighborhood have all scaled back their hours, but they're still open for now. It's something that I'll definitely be continuing to monitor. 

Love. 

from: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-looking-different-factors-determine-return-action/

NHL looking at different factors that could determine return to action

And now, the Great Wait.

Everything moved quickly in the hours and days after the NHL paused its season last week. Players were urged to self-quarantine and remain close to their playing city in hopes that teams could reopen training facilities. Then, with borders closing and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending against gatherings of more than 50 people until May, the directive changed and everyone was permitted to scatter.

The quarantined hockey world is now hunkering down and pondering the future. There’s a lot of conversations and ideas flying around in text messages, but little clarity with the spread of the COVID-19 virus still picking up steam across the continent.

The clearest hint of where the NHL is headed came from deputy commissioner Bill Daly during an appearance on The Athletic’s “Two-Man Advantage” podcast, when he spoke of the league’s priorities in the months ahead: “The only definite for us is we certainly don’t want to do anything around a resumption of play this season that will impact our ability to have a full season next year.”

That clearly sketches out the timelines at play here.

It tells us that crowning a 2020 Stanley Cup champion hinges on finding a window where it’s safe to conduct some kind of playoff tournament between mid-May — when the CDC could potentially change its recommendations on how many people can safely gather — and mid- to late-July, which is believed to be the absolute latest the league would be willing to stretch its season.

If that’s not possible, we’re looking at a lost year.

Playing into August would disrupt the season to follow and Daly made it clear that’s off the table. What this revelation does is rule out at least two ideas being kicked around in NHL circles in recent days:

• One, emerging from conversations with team executives, revolves around doing a complete restart to the 2019-20 season whenever it’s safe to do so. It could be August, September or October. Doesn’t matter. The plan would be to finish the final 15 per cent of the regular season plus playoffs, then pause for free agency signings and the entry draft, before starting 2020-21.

• The other, bubbling amongst some players, is a similar concept that’s more rigid in structure. Complete the regular season in July, hold the playoffs in August and September, break for a shortened October off-season and commence 2020-21 in November.

There are a number of reasons why it’s believed the NHL doesn’t favour either of these approaches. Chief among them is how it impacts teams way out of the playoff race — can you really ask members of the last-place Detroit Red Wings, for example, to return from the COVID-19 hiatus, go through a training camp and then play 11 meaningless regular-season games before waiting out the playoffs and another off-season?

Then you also have to account for potential building availability issues, the financial impact of delaying the return of meaningful hockey to a number of markets even longer than it already will be and the fact that some contending teams already view 2019-20 as a tainted seeason.

And now, the Great Wait.

Everything moved quickly in the hours and days after the NHL paused its season last week. Players were urged to self-quarantine and remain close to their playing city in hopes that teams could reopen training facilities. Then, with borders closing and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending against gatherings of more than 50 people until May, the directive changed and everyone was permitted to scatter.

The quarantined hockey world is now hunkering down and pondering the future. There’s a lot of conversations and ideas flying around in text messages, but little clarity with the spread of the COVID-19 virus still picking up steam across the continent.

The clearest hint of where the NHL is headed came from deputy commissioner Bill Daly during an appearance on The Athletic’s “Two-Man Advantage” podcast, when he spoke of the league’s priorities in the months ahead: “The only definite for us is we certainly don’t want to do anything around a resumption of play this season that will impact our ability to have a full season next year.”

That clearly sketches out the timelines at play here.

It tells us that crowning a 2020 Stanley Cup champion hinges on finding a window where it’s safe to conduct some kind of playoff tournament between mid-May — when the CDC could potentially change its recommendations on how many people can safely gather — and mid- to late-July, which is believed to be the absolute latest the league would be willing to stretch its season.

If that’s not possible, we’re looking at a lost year.

Playing into August would disrupt the season to follow and Daly made it clear that’s off the table. What this revelation does is rule out at least two ideas being kicked around in NHL circles in recent days:

• One, emerging from conversations with team executives, revolves around doing a complete restart to the 2019-20 season whenever it’s safe to do so. It could be August, September or October. Doesn’t matter. The plan would be to finish the final 15 per cent of the regular season plus playoffs, then pause for free agency signings and the entry draft, before starting 2020-21.

• The other, bubbling amongst some players, is a similar concept that’s more rigid in structure. Complete the regular season in July, hold the playoffs in August and September, break for a shortened October off-season and commence 2020-21 in November.

There are a number of reasons why it’s believed the NHL doesn’t favour either of these approaches. Chief among them is how it impacts teams way out of the playoff race — can you really ask members of the last-place Detroit Red Wings, for example, to return from the COVID-19 hiatus, go through a training camp and then play 11 meaningless regular-season games before waiting out the playoffs and another off-season?

Then you also have to account for potential building availability issues, the financial impact of delaying the return of meaningful hockey to a number of markets even longer than it already will be and the fact that some contending teams already view 2019-20 as a tainted season.

Everyone wants to win a Stanley Cup, sure, but it’s hard to imagine that achievement feeling equally as satisfying now as it would conclude an uninterrupted campaign.

To make a betting analogy, the NHL is currently on the equivalent of a bad run at the blackjack table and won’t spend all night trying desperately to salvage the session. It’s already committed to when it will get up and walk away if things don’t change for the better.

That’s a smart approach under the circumstances.

As unsatisfying as it could end up feeling if there’s no real conclusion to a season where 1,082 games were played — and as disappointing as that will be to the organizations with legitimate championship aspirations — there will be a point where the focus needs to shift to letting the business reset and recover.

And that point is probably still at least a month away.

The NHL hopes that a period of self-quarantine for players will eventually allow it to open mini training camps by early May. That needs to happen before any games are played. In the meantime, the league plans to monitor the situation closely and lean on the relevant authorities for guidance.

“We’re not equipped to say ‘the pandemic’s over,”’ commissioner Gary Bettman said during a recent appearance on Hockey Central at Noon. “There are going to be medical people at the highest level who are going to tell us.”

And, so, this is where we are.

The decision on when it’s safe for the NHL to potentially resume may rest in someone else’s hands, but it’s clear the league has already figured out how it will react to that news: The Cup will be lifted by July, or it won’t be lifted at all this year.

I'm biased just because the Flames season was a semi disaster, but I think the focus should be on a good season next year not scrambling to try and get BOTH in. I've already moved on in some aspects. 

I get it you always want to award the cup but I think the idea of rushing/cramming a season into another one has more long term risk than is necessary. 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm biased just because the Flames season was a semi disaster, but I think the focus should be on a good season next year not scrambling to try and get BOTH in. I've already moved on in some aspects. 

I get it you always want to award the cup but I think the idea of rushing/cramming a season into another one has more long term risk than is necessary. 

I agree as I said earlier for every game that is left to play each team should be awarded 1 point. Now we can determine the order for the draft.

I dare say that I don’t think this necessarily emanated out of China.

Perhaps China was simply the first to specifically isolate what it is.

Then they also specified and produced test kits. So now that it’s actually being tested for, it’s a global pandemic.

Because it’s been around for a while.

Lots of new cases is based on a greater testing capacity, not necessarily new cases.

Thoughts?

I’m not clinging to any hope of seeing hockey this spring or summer. It just doesn’t make sense.  The lay-off is gonna be way too long and it’s essentially a new season. 

This were extraordinary circumstances, that were unprecedented, not the end of the world if we have to go one season without a champ IMO

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Then they also specified and produced test kits. So now that it’s actually being tested for, it’s a global pandemic.

Lots of new cases is based on a greater testing capacity, not necessarily new cases.

Thoughts?

Are you buying the "it was implanted by the US" narrative?

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Ya agreed.

I would hate to lose the season if I was a Bruins fan... or even the Leafs because they went all in this year.  Sucks also for Oilers and Canucks fans because they are hungry for playoff hockey and this looked to be the year they finally get back in again.  But for the Flames were we had a better team last season and did so little with it in the playoffs, this season's version is even worse. 

I think we should move on and build for September... but of course, who knows in September.  Maybe there will be a vaccine by then.  Or maybe we are into wave #3 and the league is still shut down.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thoughts?

If your implying that it could possibly be a bio-weapon one must look at who benefits and who doesn't.

Asia, Middle East, Europe, and America have taken a huge hit economically and physically so no real benefits there.

Take a look at this progressive map and you can see a region not majorly affected and that is Russia and immediate satellites. Just saying not implying as I am mot keen on radiation poisoning.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

34 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

If your implying that it could possibly be a bio-weapon one must look at who benefits and who doesn't.

Asia, Middle East, Europe, and America have taken a huge hit economically and physically so no real benefits there.

Take a look at this progressive map and you can see a region not majorly affected and that is Russia and immediate satellites. Just saying not implying as I am mot keen on radiation poisoning.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I'm not a tin foil hat guy, but....

I was reading a fiction novel (Task Force series), and it was entirely about the use of a virus to defeat the West.

This was something more akin to Ebola for speed and impact, but it was a flu virus.

It had one difference and that was one vaccine simpy made the person an immune host; they got sick but got better and didn;t display symptoms.

The concept was to infect a person, and have them die a bloody death on a cruise ship, the virus becomes airborne as a result.

And this would be limited to the west to begin with, and would slowly impact other countries.

Those other countries would have enough time to close borders etc.

Pure work of fiction, but it's not far off what has happened as far as spreading.

As crazy as it sounds, open borders have allowed this to become a pandemic.

We're about 2 months too late in stopping this from entering.

Or at least isolating once they entered.

3 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Not an expert in anything like this but I think it points more to Russia keeping its numbers to itself.  That and the fact as far as I know Russia isnt as much of a worldwide destination for travel as most of the heavily affected areas.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thoughts?

Please jog our memory. What did China specifically isolate?

Archived