COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Right decision that was pretty obvious to make at the time. Still pretty disappointed it took fan pressure to come up with this. 

John Bean has come out of this looking pretty bad imo, even his “apology” is weak. Bad start to his tenure. 

This was just so embarrassing. 

Who is the Flames PR to let this happen?  To save how much money?  

11 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

From what I've been reading is True North had the intention to pay their staff also but wanted to make sure everything was run through the lawyers first. Cant blame them really.

The annoying thing is that TSN only reported the Flames not paying.

They announce the Jets deciding to pay, even though both seemed to respond at the same time.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This was just so embarrassing. 

Who is the Flames PR to let this happen?  To save how much money?  

Terrible, but not surprising. I wish this was a one off incident but between the arena negotiations, Sean Kelso's Nenshi tweet after he won it fits the profile of an organization that has been quite tone deaf on the PR side the last several years. It is very shocking to me that they had a meeting on this and said "yup that can go out" and didn't think of what the fall out would be.

I've started to believe this for a while now, but I think this organization has just not realized where their brand actually is right now. I think they still think it's the 2010 when this brand was almost invincible and could do no wrong and they are far from that. Yes they are a Canadian pro hockey team and yes they own the city they are in from a sports perspective but I don't think they realize that in our era of populism and social media that probably isn't enough anymore. Don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting they are heading towards a "save the Flames" campaign but I consider myself pretty connected to the team. I'm a season ticket holder, many friends that are, live in Calgary, frequent multiple message boards and the tone and the love affair with the Flames has really changed over the years.

Outside of this virus, which is a huge thing to handle, #1 priotiy on John Bean's list should be a deep study into the brand what it actually means to people because I think the organization would be shocked at the results. 

To put a positive spin on this, the person who organized that GoFundMe was contact by a player and a player's wife who offered support and see what else they could do. When the Flames made their announcement of help the organization was originally going to donate it to the Flames foundation. Instead that player and the player's wife contacted him offering to help him make sure it's get to the arena staff. He also said multiple players reached out to show support. 

So yes this was a black mark, but also a good reminder that this organization is still full of some really good people and some special players. 

yes the player's and their wives and families represent our fair city very well.. I often visit these boards and often,, the rumour boards .. I wonder just how much thought goes into some trade suggestions.. They aren't moving just one piece.. they are uprooting an entire family.. The Wives really do need a page on here letting everyone know what goes on behind the rink.. It would be enlightening and make us all a closer family of Flames fans.. As for the management.. pft screw it!! They Suck!! fire them alll!!!

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Terrible, but not surprising. I wish this was a one off incident but between the arena negotiations, Sean Kelso's Nenshi tweet after he won it fits the profile of an organization that has been quite tone deaf on the PR side the last several years. It is very shocking to me that they had a meeting on this and said "yup that can go out" and didn't think of what the fall out would be.

I've started to believe this for a while now, but I think this organization has just not realized where their brand actually is right now. I think they still think it's the 2010 when this brand was almost invincible and could do no wrong and they are far from that. Yes they are a Canadian pro hockey team and yes they own the city they are in from a sports perspective but I don't think they realize that in our era of populism and social media that probably isn't enough anymore. Don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting they are heading towards a "save the Flames" campaign but I consider myself pretty connected to the team. I'm a season ticket holder, many friends that are, live in Calgary, frequent multiple message boards and the tone and the love affair with the Flames has really changed over the years.

Outside of this virus, which is a huge thing to handle, #1 priotiy on John Bean's list should be a deep study into the brand what it actually means to people because I think the organization would be shocked at the results. 

Personally I think Bean is between a rock and a hard place, I think King was in that same spot as well.  I think the 2010 area is right when the brand began taking a nosedive.  But I believe its been caused by who's left and who's became more powerful.  As long as Edwards is top dog I expect more of this stuff.  I don't want to pretend like the issues of the last 10 years wouldn't have happened if Hotchkiss was still around as I don't believe the owners were ever completely on the same page about everything maybe not on anything, but it was in better shape when there were more voices involved than just Edwards.

from: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/article-nhl-pushes-back-timeline-on-potential-resumption-of-season/

NHL pushes back timeline on potential resumption of season

The NHL is pushing back the possibility of resuming its season for several weeks, if not a month or more.

The league and NHL Players’ Association told players Monday they can go home – even out of North America – and must self-isolate through March 27 while the season is on hold amid the coronavirus pandemic. But the NHL also cautioned that it will not be able to even provide guidance on the potential reopening of team practices for another 45 days, which could make May the earliest possible restart date.

The new directives come on the heels of the CDC’s recommendation against gatherings of 50 or more people in the U.S. for the next eight weeks because of the coronavirus pandemic. Under the NHL’s new timeline, it would mean facilities would not be opened until late April at the earliest.

“I think in light of the CDC recommendations, it’s hard to foresee that we’re looking at much happening here in March or even April, in my opinion,” agent Jay Grossman said.

The league said “depending on world developments,” consideration will be given to reopening practice facilities after the self-quarantine period ends in late March.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver last week said his league’s hiatus would likely last at least a month. After saying last week the season was on “pause,” Commissioner Gary Bettman had not put a time frame on when the NHL could resume play.

“The pause will be until it’s appropriate and prudent and safe to start back up,” Bettman said last week. “Nobody knows how long the hiatus may be. Nobody, even the medical community, can predict it with certainty. And what we’re doing is, we’re modelling every conceivable alternative so that when it’s appropriate to go back to work, we will know what our options and our alternatives are.”

The U.S. government has imposed a travel ban from Europe for non-citizens that extends until mid-April. There are currently 233 European players on NHL rosters, including leading scorer Leon Draisaitl from Germany, and there are more on contracts who are in the minors. How many might return home is unknown.

“I’ve spoken to some players who are doing their best to obviously scramble to return to the safest, most comfortable environment that they can get to at this point,” Grossman said.

Players previously were directed to stay in their team’s city and wait. The league and union had discussed the possibility of players returning to team training facilities within the next week or so, but that plan has similarly changed. Those facilities are currently closed to players.

“We’ll be constantly in touch with the NHL and constantly re-evaluating,” NHLPA executive director Don Fehr said last week. “Any date you pick out is merely going to be a best guess and it has about as much likelihood of being right as any other best guess.”

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told The AP teams had been instructed to take care of arrangements for and pay players under contract. That was in light of the minor league ECHL’s decision to cancel the rest of its season.

The NHL suspended its season with 189 games remaining before the playoffs. Bettman said he remained optimistic about resuming and still awarding the Stanley Cup, which has only not been handed out twice since 1893: 1919 during the Spanish flu outbreak and 2005 because of a lockout.

Hope everyone on this board is okay.

The lack of hockey is also a lack of community.

The circle of people we interact with in person is becomming smaller and smaller daily.

People are spending more time worrying about what they are doing and wondering if they are doing enough.

It's taking a toll on us all.

Stay safe everone.

Drop in and post if you like.

Tell a funny story if you have one or just want to ramble.

Seems like all anyone is doing these days is surfing anyway.

I think we can ALL play a small roll to help.

Get phone numbers from your neighbors (Especially elderly)

Call them every couple days for reassurance or see if they need ANYTHING.

I have a contact list of 6 and I will do a grocery run every couple days for all.

If anyone is healthy and able;   play a small part and check on your neighbors.

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I think we can ALL play a small roll to help.

Get phone numbers from your neighbors (Especially elderly)

Call them every couple days for reassurance or see if they need ANYTHING.

I have a contact list of 6 and I will do a grocery run every couple days for all.

If anyone is healthy and able;   play a small part and check on your neighbors.

How is Costco actually?  I'm going to have to go in about a week.  Have the crowds died down?  Shelves still stocked?

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

How is Costco actually?  I'm going to have to go in about a week.  Have the crowds died down?  Shelves still stocked?

I have not been to costco in a month as I have been using the NW Coop's with success. The majority of purchases for us and my "group" has been fruit and fresh produce. First thing in the morning is the best times to go and would assume the same would be for costco.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I have not been to costco in a month as I have been using the NW Coop's with success. The majority of purchases for us and my "group" has been fruit and fresh produce. First thing in the morning is the best times to go and would assume the same would be for costco.

I have been wondering about produce... 

How are you cleaning it? I did some Google research, and someone was saying to clean it with soap and water. I've never washed kale with soap, and that seems a bit ridiculous. I have been able to find information on how the virus lives on plastic, metal, etc... but nothing about how long it lasts on produce, and nothing useful about cleaning it. Thing is, as I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, it's a pretty important part of my diet. I went to the grocery store last night, and I was able to get some produce, and I found a bag of rice, but almost all of the cans, and all of the pasta were gone.

Love.  

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

How are you cleaning it? I did some Google research, and someone was saying to clean it with soap and water. I've never washed kale with soap, and that seems a bit ridiculous. I have been able to find information on how the virus lives on plastic, metal, etc... but nothing about how long it lasts on produce, and nothing useful about cleaning it. Thing is, as I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, it's a pretty important part of my diet. I went to the grocery store last night, and I was able to get some produce, and I found a bag of rice, but almost all of the cans, and all of the pasta were gone.

Love.  

I am no doctor but I wash fruit ie bananas apples with soap and water and produce like lettuce/ onions I throw away the outer layer. I havn't purchased broccoli or cauliflower but I would "ASSUME" a warm water and vinegar bath "SHOULD" work. Heartbreaker as a vegetarian you should actively look for vitamins that you can use to supplement your  nutrition as "heaven forbid" there could be a time when fresh produce and veggies could be scarce. Also go to the grocery store first thing in the morning if you can as we move forward shelves will probably only be stocked at night.

50 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.  

Buy this from Superstore in the organic section,

https://www.amazon.ca/NATURE-CLEAN-Nature-Clean-Veggie/dp/B00GPJHGXE/

Works great.  Totally recommended.

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I guess I'll find out in two weeks when my supplies run really low.  I'm already out of fresh veggies.  Only got 4 big bags of frozen mix veggies from Costco.  A bag of fries.  A dozen canned corn and a dozen canned beans.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

I went to the grocery store last night, and I was able to get some produce, and I found a bag of rice, but almost all of the cans, and all of the pasta were gone.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Also go to the grocery store first thing in the morning if you can as we move forward shelves will probably only be stocked at night.

Depends on the store...   For example, I know that some of the Walmart's restock what they can what they can when a truck comes in, eg: it might be at 8 pm for toilet paper...   Freezer or dairy usually gets stocked during the day, same for some things they might have more of in the back...   But in general you are right redfire, first thing in the morning could be the best bet to get what you need...   and for you Heartbreaker, fresh veg is best stocked first thing in the morning...

A lot more stores have started to impose limits on high demand items (and it's about time they did), and that should help...   But some items like bread, sugar, etc, are also currently coming in to the stores in less volume than what was ordered (or not at all) from the supply end...

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Buy this from Superstore in the organic section,

https://www.amazon.ca/NATURE-CLEAN-Nature-Clean-Veggie/dp/B00GPJHGXE/

Works great.  Totally recommended.

I can't speak for Heartbreaker but I get the impression the question was how to cleanse potentially contaminated fresh fruit and produce from the china virus. I'm sure Nature-Clean works well for cleaning but NOWHERE does it state that it will remove pathogens nor does its list of ingredients include something that potentially COULD.

That being said I wonder if a mixture of warm water and high % alcohol mouth wash would work. ( mouth wash is something that hasn't sold out)

22 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I can't speak for Heartbreaker but I get the impression the question was how to cleanse potentially contaminated fresh fruit and produce from the china virus. I'm sure Nature-Clean works well for cleaning but NOWHERE does it state that it will remove pathogens nor does its list of ingredients include something that potentially COULD.

That being said I wonder if a mixture of warm water and high % alcohol mouth wash would work. ( mouth wash is something that hasn't sold out)

Well, in that case, cooking kills all virus.

Archived