COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Uh-oh, here we go.  

It was a good season guys.  See you all in September.

I’d rather them cancel the season rather than do some convoluted, shortened playoffs to be honest.

They also don’t expect to have this virus sorted out for at least another month so very likely we’ve seen our last bit of Flames hockey

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’d rather them cancel the season rather than do some convoluted, shortened playoffs to be honest.

They also don’t expect to have this virus sorted out for at least another month so very likely we’ve seen our last bit of Flames hockey

How would a shortened playoff even look?  Fly every playoff team to Yellowknife for one month?  A neutral location that's virus free?  All games played on a frozen lake and live streamed?

Will need NHLPA to agree.  And lawyers, insurance companies, etc.

12 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

One possible solution would be to end the season early, and run some kind of playoffs in a months time using the current standings for seeding.  

would they use winning percentage to determine the games they are in hand right now?

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

would they use winning percentage to determine the games they are in hand right now?

I can’t see that working.

For starters, the Flames are up 1 point on VAN. How do you justify who gets that last spot? You can’t assume VAN gets that win with the game in hand, but you also can’t assume they lose that game in hand either. There would be far too much finger pointing IMO

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Uh-oh, here we go.  

It was a good season guys.  See you all in September.

I think you are right, but dang! The Flames were just getting warmed up.... waiting to get hot in time for the playoffs.  As commented above, this should have a HUGE impact on next year’s Salary Cap.... No?

9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

One possible solution would be to end the season early, and run some kind of playoffs in a months time using the current standings for seeding.  

I believe players contracts end July 1st every season so, whatever happens has to come before July 1st.  There's not enough time to push the season back by a month... Unless they do some super gimmicky playoffs but I really hope they don't. 

36 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I think you are right, but dang! The Flames were just getting warmed up.... waiting to get hot in time for the playoffs.  As commented above, this should have a HUGE impact on next year’s Salary Cap.... No?

Ya man.  Flames starting to play much better and I felt pretty good about a first round match up against the Oilers.  But man... This season for whatever reason was just not meant to be.  

Wish we sold all at TDL.  Brodie and Hamonic played their last games as a Flames...

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I believe players contracts end July 1st every season so, whatever happens has to come before July 1st.  There's not enough time to push the season back by a month... Unless they do some super gimmicky playoffs but I really hope they don't. 

IF the season ends up being suspended, the league and the NHLPA could always agree to extend the date and change it from July 1 to whenever works best...

At this point nobody knows how long it could be until more facts are known, or how long it might take for that to happen...

That would buy time while the dust settles and they get a chance to better assess the situation and come up with a plan that would work out best for the situation...

3 minutes ago, Carty said:

IF the season ends up being suspended, the league and the NHLPA could always agree to extend the date and change it from July 1 to whenever works best...

At this point nobody knows how long it could be until more facts are known, or how long it might take for that to happen...

That would buy time while the dust settles and they get a chance to better assess the situation and come up with a plan that would work out best for the situation...

Well that's doubtful the NHLPA would agree to extend.  Players don't get paid for the playoffs and the regular season ends in less than one month.  Players wont mind forfeiting one month salary and then start summer holidays.

I think the Stanley Cup inscription for 2019-2020 season winner would be "COVID 19".

This pandemic will get worst for the rest of this season and into the next season. Only if the entire world locked themselves up for 20 days that we may shorten the spread of this virus. Unfortunately, that is not realistically achievable. Calgary already in trouble with Suncor daycare child was tested positive, and we know how well children are keeping their personal hygiene right?

Hard to say...   Everyone plays with hopes of winning the cup...   Playing 85% of the season for nothing might not sit well either...   

Over half of the players know that they still have a legit chance...   They all know that once your in the playoffs anything can happen, and most players could still want to have the chance to win a cup...

Maybe they suspend the season, or perhaps they look at trying to isolate the players and staff, as well as other necessary personnel for televised games...   But I think that it is quite likely that large gatherings including hockey games will be put on hold for a while...

Either way, it shouldn't be too long before we all find out which way things are going to go...

I'm wondering, IF the season gets called what happens to all the trades, signings, and contracts that have caveats for reaching certain totals. Like the Lucic/Neal trade or bonuses for point totals or playoff appearances?  I guess point and goal totals could be figured with running averages but how many deals are out there with playoff performance tied in?

So, players don’t play for 2 weeks or longer.... they are gonna need to get back up to speed. The risk of sitting for 2 weeks and then getting back into a playoff  hunt is crazy, chance of injury is too high. You would need essentially another “training camp”.

I don’t see a way that the NHL continuing makes sense

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  Flames starting to play much better and I felt pretty good about a first round match up against the Oilers.  But man... This season for whatever reason was just not meant to be.  

Wish we sold all at TDL.  Brodie and Hamonic played their last games as a Flames...

Thank God we weren't major buyers at the deadline, what a waste that would have been!

Only move imo. Had to be done. 

while it would be cool to think of them finishing the season it’s really hard to feel optimistic with how this virus has been working. Nothing wrong with optimism but hard to imagine this gets contained enough to have any type of finish to the season. 

as I’ve said before this is the most bizarre flames season I’ve ever been a part of as a fan, so the saga continues. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yeah, self-rentals doesn’t really cut it for only 3-4 games.... who knew?

Hopefully nothing like this ever happens again, but he closest the NHL has come to this kind of situation was the 1918 - 19 season Spanish flu disaster... 

from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Stanley_Cup_Finals

1919 Stanley Cup Finals

The 1919 Stanley Cup Finals was the ice hockey play-off series to determine the 1919 Stanley Cup champions. No champion was declared; the series was canceled after five games had been played due to an outbreak of Spanish flu. It was the only time in the history of the Stanley Cup that it was not awarded due to a no-decision after playoffs were held.[1]

Hosting the series in Seattle was the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) champion Seattle Metropolitans playing off against the National Hockey League (NHL) champion Montreal Canadiens. Both teams had won two games, lost two, and tied one before health officials were forced to cancel the deciding game of the series. Most of the Canadiens players and their manager George Kennedy fell ill with the flu and were hospitalized, leaving only three healthy players.[1] The flu would claim the life of Canadiens defenseman Joe Hall four days later. Kennedy was permanently weakened by his illness, and it led to his death a few years later.[2]

Cancellation

The sixth and deciding game of the series was scheduled for April 1, but an outbreak of influenza caused several players on both teams to become seriously ill. With Lalonde, Hall, Coutu, Berlinguette, and McDonald of Montreal hospitalized or sick in bed, with fevers between 101 and 105 degrees Fahrenheit, game six was cancelled just five and a half hours before it was scheduled to start.[6] Kennedy said he was forfeiting the Cup to Seattle, but Pete Muldoon, manager-coach of the Metropolitans, refused to accept the Cup in a forfeiture, seeing that it was catastrophic illness that had caused the Canadiens lineup to be short of players. Kennedy asked to use players from the Victoria team of the PCHA, but president Frank Patrick refused the request.[13][1]

Four days later, Joe Hall died of pneumonia brought about by the flu.[14] His funeral was held in Vancouver on April 8, with most team members attending,[15] and he was buried in Brandon, Manitoba.[14] Manager George Kennedy also was stricken. His condition declined, and his wife arrived from Montreal to be with him.[16] He seemed to recover and was released from the hospital, but he never fully recovered and he died a few years later.

No official Stanley Cup winner was declared in 1919, and thus nothing was engraved onto the trophy. However, when the Cup was redesigned in 1948 and a new collar was added to include those teams that did not engrave their names on the trophy themselves, the following was added:

Montreal Canadiens
     Seattle Metropolitans
    Series Not Completed

Archived