COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think no matter what they come up with, no fans will be allowed to watch.  It will be strictly TV/streaming.

Shortening the season also seems inevitable.  Go with 41-games.  Start December 1 and try to end the playoffs by April/May.

I somehow think you might see a similar situation as the rest of the entertainment industry.

1/2 capacity.

It just would be a problem trying to get people seated and leaving the game.

I don't even know if possible.

Logistics nightmare.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I somehow think you might see a similar situation as the rest of the entertainment industry.

1/2 capacity.

It just would be a problem trying to get people seated and leaving the game.

I don't even know if possible.

Logistics nightmare.

plus, if it’s just a handful of cities, will the citizens be able to afford to go to 2-3 games a night in a covid economy? 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

plus, if it’s just a handful of cities, will the citizens be able to afford to go to 2-3 games a night in a covid economy? 

I can't seeing a 4 city set of bubbles working.

The Jays weren't able to get that approval.

The only way that the NHL will work is if the players/teams are allowed travel exemptions.

Rigorous testing has worked, but it gets tougher with teams playing in two cities in two nights.

They may have to eliminate B2B's.

Poor Oilers only managed a winning record due to that.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I can't seeing a 4 city set of bubbles working.

The Jays weren't able to get that approval.

The only way that the NHL will work is if the players/teams are allowed travel exemptions.

Rigorous testing has worked, but it gets tougher with teams playing in two cities in two nights.

They may have to eliminate B2B's.

Poor Oilers only managed a winning record due to that.

Hahahaha! Ya, true!

on one hand, teams tend to use their own jets so they’re not flying commercial flights. The hard part are the call-ups. But I guess they can add more roster spots and carry more players in case Of injuries. Then when an injury does happen they call up, test immediately then test again in a few days? How long does it take for the virus to show itself once you get it? 

my biggest concern after that are families and friends and their ability to not bring it home and then transmit it to the players who then take it with them.

plus, they’d have to pre-book and use the same hotels for every team and only allow the players in those hotels. 

I just read an article that Hong Kong just found their first official scientifically documented case of someone catching it for the second time. This time they only caught it because HK requires testing when travellers enter a as and come off planes. They had no symptoms at all and because they had it already they didn’t think they had it now. So that could be dangerous as it maybe spread without knowing as it is a Asymptomatic. They were able to study the different strains through their genomes. 

what a debacle!!! Capitalism drives the world! It could be easy to just shut everything down for awhile but it goes to show people’s lives aren’t worth any more than a buck. 

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Hahahaha! Ya, true!

on one hand, teams tend to use their own jets so they’re not flying commercial flights. The hard part are the call-ups. But I guess they can add more roster spots and carry more players in case Of injuries. Then when an injury does happen they call up, test immediately then test again in a few days? How long does it take for the virus to show itself once you get it? 

my biggest concern after that are families and friends and their ability to not bring it home and then transmit it to the players who then take it with them.

plus, they’d have to pre-book and use the same hotels for every team and only allow the players in those hotels. 

I just read an article that Hong Kong just found their first official scientifically documented case of someone catching it for the second time. This time they only caught it because HK requires testing when travellers enter a as and come off planes. They had no symptoms at all and because they had it already they didn’t think they had it now. So that could be dangerous as it maybe spread without knowing as it is a Asymptomatic. They were able to study the different strains through their genomes. 

what a debacle!!! Capitalism drives the world! It could be easy to just shut everything down for awhile but it goes to show people’s lives aren’t worth any more than a buck. 

And I take what China reports with a grain of salt.  Is it the same strain or a weaponized version?

Who know, when you consider what Hong Kong is going through.

If the NHL can figure out a way to play when the odds were against them, I'm sure they can get a deal passed by both Fed gov'ts.

Too big to fail, you might say.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And I take what China reports with a grain of salt.  Is it the same strain or a weaponized version?

Who know, when you consider what Hong Kong is going through.

If the NHL can figure out a way to play when the odds were against them, I'm sure they can get a deal passed by both Fed gov'ts.

Too big to fail, you might say.

well, it was Western doctors that commented on the findings. So I guess you gotta believe the findings first? I guess I am not as much of skeptic or conspiracy theorist. Not that questioning the Chinese is a bad thing. 

although i don’t remember where but I read that doctors and scientists in North America had determined that it wasn’t a synthetic or man made virus. 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

4cqj9k.jpg

I really have to wonder.

I mean how many people had a cold or flu this past winter?

I know I got one coming back from the East aster Christmas.

Had a fever, chills like there was no tomorrow.

A week or less later and I was fine.

What does that mean  Gene?

Nothing.

Just one of those things that makes you ask, was it COVID?

Two months later and we had people predicting 30% infection rate.

The politics of COVID is interesting.

Turn people into snitches.

People keying cars because they are from another province.

Squawk on your neighbor because they went out to the store 5 times in a week.

Keep Parliament closed.

Oops, I don't mean to get political.

Archived