COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

have the European players been told not to travel during this pause??

Check out the 3rd answer in the FAQ...   from: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-pause-for-coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions/c-316168850

NHL pause for coronavirus: Frequently Asked Questions

Topics include status of season, players

There are plenty of questions following the decision by the NHL to pause the 2019-20 season due to concerns about the coronavirus.

Here is an FAQ with information gathered from NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly: 

When can we expect the season to resume?

Commissioner Bettman has said the NHL season will resume when it's "prudent and safe to start back up." 

The League is taking its guidance on the matter from local, state and federal authorities who are in constant contact with medical personnel.

Have any NHL players tested positive for COVID-19?

There are no current documented positive tests from the NHL player community, Commissioner Bettman said. Deputy Commissioner Daly said any player exhibiting symptoms should be tested. There is no need to implement mandatory testing for all players, he said.

Where are NHL players expected to remain during the pause?

Players are expected to be in their home market cities with the exception of players who are separated from their families because their home market is only a temporary residence. In those cases, the players should be permitted to return to their families and wait further guidance, Deputy Commissioner Daly said.

What about injured players? 

Players who require rehab and treatment for injuries that had kept them out of games will be directed by their team's medical staff at the team's facilities unless the player and team agree to utilize an alternative approach.  

Are players allowed to work out and train at the team facilities?

All practices, workouts and team meetings have also been put on pause. Deputy Commissioner Daly said the League hopes players will be allowed to return to their team's facilities to work out and skate on a voluntary basis in small groups in the near future. There is no timetable for when that option will become available to the players. Until facilities reopen, players are encouraged to work out at home or outside, but not at public gyms. 

Will the players be paid during the pause?

Yes. Players had three paydays remaining this season at the time of the pause (March 13, March 30, April 15). 

Could the Stanley Cup be awarded after June? 

Commissioner Bettman said the League does not have a set date for when the Stanley Cup must be awarded.

What should fans do if they have tickets to games affected by the pause?

Teams should be in the process of communicating with ticket holders to determine options, including holding on to tickets for games that are postponed, and potentially giving credits or refunds if games are canceled. It's likely that issues with tickets purchased through Ticketmaster or secondary market resale companies such as StubHub will have to be resolved under the policies of those companies.

What return-to-play options are the NHL considering?

Commissioner Bettman said the League is analyzing "every conceivable alternative," but without a timetable for when the season could resume it's hard to determine what the best course of action could be. He said he has an "internal task force" of senior NHL executives who are meeting twice daily to go over every option. The League is also in touch daily with the NHL Players' Association, with Commissioner Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr communicating regularly.

Could the season resume with games in buildings that are closed to the general public?

Commissioner Bettman said it was too early to speculate on this topic.

Will the 2020-21 NHL season be impacted if this season extends into the summer?

Commissioner Bettman said the League envisions a full and normal 2020-21 season.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Go fund me has been started for the employees. Players such as Lucic, Monahan,Bennett, Gio, Gios Wife, Brodie’s Wife and Rinaldo have all donated several thousands of dollars. 

No doubt that's good news for all the employees affected...   That was a really nice gesture from the players and their spouses...   

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Go fund me has been started for the employees. Players such as Lucic, Monahan,Bennett, Gio, Gios Wife, Brodie’s Wife and Rinaldo have all donated several thousands of dollars. 

1 hour ago, Carty said:

No doubt that's good news for all the employees affected...   That was a really nice gesture from the players and their spouses...   

I am really happy to see some of the boys and their wives donate to this, but I stand by my previous comment - CSEC ought be ashamed of themselves. 

If you do the math, it's actually a remarkably low number. I realize that I'm pulling some numbers out of me arse, but I would imagine that it looks something like this: 

6 remaining home games 

6 hours per shift

$12 per hour

1000 employees per game... 

Total cost: $432,000.

Again, while I recognize that there's significant margin for error here, I can't see it being a whole lot more than that. If I were a billionaire, I'd probably add an additional 12 games as a hypothetical playoff scenario as well. I realize that's putting the cart before the horse, but some goodwill during tough times goes a long effing way. 

Love.  

I feel like this is the kind of stuff you get when your hire a career number cruncher to be your CEO. Between this and the Flames charity issue last year, Bean is not off to a good start as CEO. 

Bean and the owners have a lot of work ahead of them. Between the arena issue, some PR comments, their charity issue, Peters, their play this season, and now this I would argue the Flames brand is pretty damaged right now. 

Lots of  work ahead to repair it and this is a terrible start. 

12 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I am really happy to see some of the boys and their wives donate to this, but I stand by my previous comment - CSEC ought be ashamed of themselves. 

If you do the math, it's actually a remarkably low number. I realize that I'm pulling some numbers out of me arse, but I would imagine that it looks something like this: 

6 remaining home games 

6 hours per shift

$12 per hour

Again, while I recognize that there's significant margin for error here, I can't see it being a whole lot more than that. If I were a billionaire, I'd probably add an additional 12 games as a hypothetical playoff scenario as well. I realize that's putting the cart before the horse, but some goodwill during tough times goes a long effing way. 

Love.  

Not to nitpick but it's $15/hr and more than just 6 Flames games missed.  For people who work every event you would've had a good weekend with the Flames on Thursday and Saturday, Hitmen on Sunday and Roughnecks on Friday.  If all games are guaranteed to be made up I'd understand this measure a little more, but I don't see that happening in any leagues.

CSEC needs to do some serious damage control.  It's definitely missed the boat on this one.  I get things aren't as good as they were 10 years ago, a lot of empty seats on most nights, but they still aren't Florida and last I heard Florida's ownership is matching their players donations.

35 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

6 remaining home games 

6 hours per shift

$12 per hour

Love.  

The losses are pilng up for every industry except maybe toilet paper makers and that part if suplu chain.

NHL teams are no different.

But the CSEC is not just a corp that makes money for selling a product.

They have a moral responsibility to the community that provides a home for their business.

But, I assume they are not the only team that is taking a hard line.

It's just wrong.

ON one hand, they expect tax concessions.

On another, they expect the gov't to pay the event staff for missed paychecks.

On one hand, they are a relatively small market.

On another, the Oilers will be paying event staff.

Just do the right thing.

The initial stance may be the right thing to limit the damage to the company, but it's the wrong thing to do in the long run.

Companies that gouge the public or have no moral compass will be remembered as such.

PR mistakes like this can ruin a team's image.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/jets-ownership-doubles-down-on-decision-not-to-pay-casual-part-time-staffers#comments.

Maybe the Flames will come out with a # similar to the Jets % of employees who don't need it.  

there are probably a number of people who need the work and some who don’t. I know a few arena workers here in Vancouver and they’re teachers or postal workers. They have day jobs and have the jobs so they can take in events while working there. But I don’t know a lot of them, and perhaps there are a lot who depend on the job. How do you determine need? 

For me, I almost need a 2nd job to live in Vancouver but I get by. I am a 3rd year public school teacher so I am low on a pay scale that rises every year. Luckily my partner and I are both teachers which allows us to live or just get by in a comfortable home and our landlord trusts our steady income.

i can’t imagine what it’s like for anyone who needs income in the service industry.

31 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

The oilers are paying their staff.  Just sayin’, do we really want to be outclassed by them?

Actually, if i understand correctly .. if you dig under the surface what the Oilers are doing is 100% PR

They are bridging the wait period to EI benefit as well as "topping up the difference between EI and their wage "

well.. I read that EI is waiving the waiting period, and unless EI is also waiving the allowed minimum earnings while on EI , the money they pay them will actually lower their benefits 

I gotta admit to being really ambivalent on this

on the one hand , the Flames have always been known as being world class and above the rest for their giving .. and going the extra mile in the community , so i was very surprised when I read they wont cover .. i didnt see it as the Right thing to do , I saw it as The Flames thing to do .. not to throw shade on the new guy , but , I really feel Ken King would have done that 

on the other , CSEC workers are not unique .. there are many workers in the same position , in many industries..day cares, bar/restaurant servers , travel industry , etc.. who wont be getting work or as much work .. who is subsidizing them ?

Everything the Flames stil have to pay for, is now being done with $0 revenue .. this is literally in the Millions 

even the gesture we are shaming them for , is nearly 2.5 Million  ( i think I read  there's approx 1500 workers who will lose an average of $1500)

so again , its a fine line .. i dont think they should have felt obligated , but i do agree I'm disappointed they did not go their usual "extra mile "

The Flames should pay the employees. Not only is it just the right thing to do, but they also just received a ton of public funding for the new barn. It’s a really bad look.

That being said they don’t have to, I mean owners don’t get to become rich owners by looking out for the best interests of others.... 

I will also echo what others have said, while it sucks and is a bad look, the CSEC workers aren’t unique in this situation. I mean I don’t have the option to work at home, if we are unable to work (construction) I sit at home and don’t get paid. 

Well, the Flames have changed their tune to the same as the Oilers.

Topping up EI to the 95% line, which is a lot better than nothing.

They admitted their mistake.

Full story is out there.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/csec-announces-compensation-program-for-part-time-employees/c-316170828

It is not a lot to people, but better than EI or nothing alone.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

there are probably a number of people who need the work and some who don’t. I know a few arena workers here in Vancouver and they’re teachers or postal workers. They have day jobs and have the jobs so they can take in events while working there. But I don’t know a lot of them, and perhaps there are a lot who depend on the job. How do you determine need? 

For me, I almost need a 2nd job to live in Vancouver but I get by. I am a 3rd year public school teacher so I am low on a pay scale that rises every year. Luckily my partner and I are both teachers which allows us to live or just get by in a comfortable home and our landlord trusts our steady income.

i can’t imagine what it’s like for anyone who needs income in the service industry.

I've known some on both ends of the spectrum, some who need the additional income and some who treat is more as a hobby to attend the events.  Our cost of living is definitely lower than yours in Van, but its been pretty bad out here for a while for employment, if you're in need you take what you can get.

If certain players didn't step up are we even having this conversation?  I don't remember it ever coming up during the lockouts and the only other time in my life that sports took a complete break was 9/11 and I have no idea how things were handled back then.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the Flames have changed their tune to the same as the Oilers.

Topping up EI to the 95% line, which is a lot better than nothing.

They admitted their mistake.

Full story is out there.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/csec-announces-compensation-program-for-part-time-employees/c-316170828

It is not a lot to people, but better than EI or nothing alone.

I commend the CSEC for stepping up...

Right decision that was pretty obvious to make at the time. Still pretty disappointed it took fan pressure to come up with this. 

John Bean has come out of this looking pretty bad imo, even his “apology” is weak. Bad start to his tenure. 

18 hours ago, Carty said:

Check out the 3rd answer in the FAQ...   from: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-pause-for-coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions/c-316168850

NHL pause for coronavirus: Frequently Asked Questions

Topics include status of season, players

There are plenty of questions following the decision by the NHL to pause the 2019-20 season due to concerns about the coronavirus.

Here is an FAQ with information gathered from NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly: 

When can we expect the season to resume?

Commissioner Bettman has said the NHL season will resume when it's "prudent and safe to start back up." 

The League is taking its guidance on the matter from local, state and federal authorities who are in constant contact with medical personnel.

Have any NHL players tested positive for COVID-19?

There are no current documented positive tests from the NHL player community, Commissioner Bettman said. Deputy Commissioner Daly said any player exhibiting symptoms should be tested. There is no need to implement mandatory testing for all players, he said.

Where are NHL players expected to remain during the pause?

Players are expected to be in their home market cities with the exception of players who are separated from their families because their home market is only a temporary residence. In those cases, the players should be permitted to return to their families and wait further guidance, Deputy Commissioner Daly said.

What about injured players? 

Players who require rehab and treatment for injuries that had kept them out of games will be directed by their team's medical staff at the team's facilities unless the player and team agree to utilize an alternative approach.  

Are players allowed to work out and train at the team facilities?

All practices, workouts and team meetings have also been put on pause. Deputy Commissioner Daly said the League hopes players will be allowed to return to their team's facilities to work out and skate on a voluntary basis in small groups in the near future. There is no timetable for when that option will become available to the players. Until facilities reopen, players are encouraged to work out at home or outside, but not at public gyms. 

Will the players be paid during the pause?

Yes. Players had three paydays remaining this season at the time of the pause (March 13, March 30, April 15). 

Could the Stanley Cup be awarded after June? 

Commissioner Bettman said the League does not have a set date for when the Stanley Cup must be awarded.

What should fans do if they have tickets to games affected by the pause?

Teams should be in the process of communicating with ticket holders to determine options, including holding on to tickets for games that are postponed, and potentially giving credits or refunds if games are canceled. It's likely that issues with tickets purchased through Ticketmaster or secondary market resale companies such as StubHub will have to be resolved under the policies of those companies.

What return-to-play options are the NHL considering?

Commissioner Bettman said the League is analyzing "every conceivable alternative," but without a timetable for when the season could resume it's hard to determine what the best course of action could be. He said he has an "internal task force" of senior NHL executives who are meeting twice daily to go over every option. The League is also in touch daily with the NHL Players' Association, with Commissioner Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr communicating regularly.

Could the season resume with games in buildings that are closed to the general public?

Commissioner Bettman said it was too early to speculate on this topic.

Will the 2020-21 NHL season be impacted if this season extends into the summer?

Commissioner Bettman said the League envisions a full and normal 2020-21 season.

•  

because their home markets are only temporary????? This would be everyone that doesn;t have a full no trade clause

1 minute ago, Horsman1 said:

because their home markets are only temporary????? This would be everyone that doesn;t have a full no trade clause

I think they mean those that were traded to a team that haven't moved.

Those that have families they provide for that are not in their team city.

Gustafsson and Forbort for example.

Perhaps you were just being funny, which is appreciated.

I wasn't at all surprised that the Flames were leading the charge to not pay their employees.  Their PR group is quite incompetent.  Off the top of my head there is the "Forever a Flame" campaign and the refusal to retire Fleury's number.  Par for the course. 

Giordano showed he is a good leader.  Lucic, too.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think they mean those that were traded to a team that haven't moved.

Those that have families they provide for that are not in their team city.

Gustafsson and Forbort for example.

well we do have to have a bit of levity with all that's going on.. Lots of panicing.. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

well we do have to have a bit of levity with all that's going on.. Lots of panicing.. 

In times like this, even though it is a situation that needs to be taken seriously, we all still need to remember how to smile...

Archived