Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

But Armia is so vanilla with a low ceiling. Worse than Ferland and lacks similar dynamics.  This is a trade for a second round pick.  Which is good but Bennett is more valuable than a second.

I doubt you.ve watched him a lot. I have every game since he made the NHL until he was traded (180 regular season & 13 in the playoffs. He just keeps getting better too.

I was actually showing greed by asking for a 2nd on top of Armia.

Bergervin is 1 of the few GMs I could think of to overpay like my ask involves.

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I doubt you.ve watched him a lot. I have every game since he made the NHL until he was traded (180 regular season & 13 in the playoffs. He just keeps getting better too.

I was actually showing greed by asking for a 2nd on top of Armia.

Bergervin is 1 of the few GMs I could think of to overpay like my ask involves.

I watched him the whole playoffs this past summer and he was bland.  Didn't really do anything above what an average 3rd line checker does.  Nothing exciting.  I used Ferland as an example because Ferland can play a top 6 role but Armia's ceiling is capped at spot duty of the 2nd line in a crunch but not where you'd want him long term.

I've been an advocate of trading Bennett when perception was he's a top tier talent.  But now that the secret is out and the league won't pay that price, forget it.  We should keep Bennett because he gives us solid bottom 6 minutes and can flash greatness from time to time.

Bennett seems to have PO's the hockey gods.

He walks in on a prone goalie and has to pass it to Neal because he's got no room left.

Next shift after the goal and he loses position allowing an easy goal.

Tonight he has a wide-open net and he hit somehow the goalie and it deflects out.

Bennett has one waved off.  Or and I having flashbacks about last game?

He just about kicks it in but it goes off a defender skate last (Backlund touched it just before).

He played 3rd line minutes.  At least he's using them to show why he's not a 4th liner.

Keep it up, the gods may forgive you soon.

I have to agree with this one, he cant really catcha break.  The wrister from the wing to beat MS should not have gone in.  He has had 2 goals disallowed in two games after finally getting some minutes.  Backlunds goal only happens because he is crashing the net.  Seriously, I am actually laughing at the poor guys luck but if he keeps playing this way its going to happen.  There is still upside in him relative to trade value. 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But if you watch enough fake news media, you'd think Lanny coming down the off wing and scoring on Patrick Roy was the game winner.

It's because Lanny's story was far more compelling.  He scored an important goal that helped win a Stanley Cup in his last NHL game. 

Also, Gilmour had recently been involved in a scandal...so there was that. 

5 minutes ago, hockeypriest2 said:

Benny was unbelievable tonight!!!

The refs let the boys play hockey and Benny really brought it. I hope this is the start of a breakthrough. He’s scored in each of the last 3 games!!!

I hope that it is as well. He certainly hit a lot of players solidly out there. It was nice to see him score, and not have it called back. It sure would be nice if this was a sign of things to come for the year and not just a streak.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That was some vintage Sam Bennett tonight. Some huge hits a hard driving goal and was all over the puck.

They said during the game the Flames rank 28th in hits so far this season.  We played twice as many games as a few teams too.  Bennett probably doubled our hit count for the season in one game.

Bennett has been playing great. It isn't just a display of skill and speed, he is playing smart. He has been defensively hard. He plays physical. He is aggravating. But he isn't playing like a bull taking stupid penalties and playing his game dumb. 

Some of this is likely him figuring it out. Some is probably the coaching staff. 

Having a young guy on the fourth line working on specific things is a development tool. If he spends 82 games there you have a problem. He spent 2 there. Great job so far. If Bennett can get it together it will be a big help. 

24 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Bennett has been playing great. It isn't just a display of skill and speed, he is playing smart. He has been defensively hard. He plays physical. He is aggravating. But he isn't playing like a bull taking stupid penalties and playing his game dumb. 

Some of this is likely him figuring it out. Some is probably the coaching staff. 

Having a young guy on the fourth line working on specific things is a development tool. If he spends 82 games there you have a problem. He spent 2 there. Great job so far. If Bennett can get it together it will be a big help. 

Exactly.  He’s coming.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Exactly.  He’s coming.

This is the Sam Bennett we have all been waiting for to come out. Bennett is very competitive which is another reason I want to see him paired up with Tkachuk and Neal. These 3 could set the tone for this team to feed off.

• Like 2

I thought Bennett was our best player for a couple games now.  Historically he's so frustrating how he was unable to finish, but the skill set is there, and the effort is there.  Nice to see him get his first last night, and nice to see the refs unable to find a way to call it back!  Not only did he get the monkey off his back, but with his physical play and that huge hit in the 2nd he basically took the team on his back and carried them forward.  Everyone seemed more engaged after that.  But not only that, he plays with a massive chip on his shoulder...I love that he's not shy to plough into someone 4 feet taller and 50 pounds heavier than him.  I also love that he hasn't shown his penchant for taking retarded offensive zone penalties as he used to the last two years.

He's awesome, and him, Neal and Dube could be great together.  I really like that line actually....they've had some of the best chances for the past few games now.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This is the Sam Bennett we have all been waiting for to come out. Bennett is very competitive which is another reason I want to see him paired up with Tkachuk and Neal. These 3 could set the tone for this team to feed off.

THAT could be an awesome line!  I like the sounds of Tkachuk with Bennett and Neal better than Tkachuk with Johnny and Sean.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The only thing I wonder about that line, is if Bennett would be able to bring the same game playing Center.  He's on the wing now.  I know we drafted him as a center and wanted him as a center, but is he more effective as a winger?

1 minute ago, YounGuns said:

The only thing I wonder about that line, is if Bennett would be able to bring the same game playing Center.  He's on the wing now.  I know we drafted him as a center and wanted him as a center, but is he more effective as a winger?

I don't think it would matter at all, Bennett only knows one way to play.

I think the biggest thing that has changed for Bennett is expectations. The last two years I think there was a lot expectations on Bennett, placed there by the fans, media, management, coaching staff and himself. This year there wasn't much talk about Bennett going into the season and new players like Lindholm, Neal and Czarnik were taking his spot in the lineup.

He also seems like he has matured, gone are the dumb offensive zone penalties from trying to do too much. It felt like every time he got on the ice the last two years he was trying to force something to happen and quite often it didn't work out. So far this year he is playing within himself.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think the biggest thing that has changed for Bennett is expectations. The last two years I think there was a lot expectations on Bennett, placed there by the fans, media, management, coaching staff and himself. This year there wasn't much talk about Bennett going into the season and new players like Lindholm, Neal and Czarnik were taking his spot in the lineup.

He also seems like he has matured, gone are the dumb offensive zone penalties from trying to do too much. It felt like every time he got on the ice the last two years he was trying to force something to happen and quite often it didn't work out. So far this year he is playing within himself.

I don't think the expectations have changed at all but I agree he has learned and has matured while working through the adversity. The fact that we have better players now should free up ice and space for all of our players. I want to see where all these players settle in once BP is done assessing everything.

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If his penalties are from solid hits and fights, I have no problem.

Bennett is still cursed for goal scoring.

That goal wasn;t called back by the ref, but was darn close.

Not saying it was a bad goal, just that two players slammed into the goalie.  

The timing was perfect that he hit the puck in before he collided.

If Bennett can continue to get those goals, then the pretty ones will start coming.  This one was generated by speed and by going to the net.  Last year, either he or Lazar or someone else was in the blue paint.  It's just a coule games where he's clawed his way towards extra minutes.  He looked good with Backlund and Neal.  I'm fine with him playing wing if he continues that play.  

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Well said. I've always thought he's forcing the game too much, leading to mistakes.

Always thought if he'd let the game come to him he will see it better. Where's the lanes, where's the open ice, where are the patterns. He was always going hard but not really accomplishing anything because he wasn't reading the game well due to hyperventilating all of the time.

I also think that problem came from his rookie success. He had early success so thought that's what he needed to keep doing.

As you said, he's matured and hopefully builds on his at least 2 goals now. What kind of halftard blows the whistle on a too many men when the other team is exactly at a scoring chance?