Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tough situation for Peters right now because you have your top line producing offensively, but getting slammed defensively.  You may have to look at breaking up that line. 

I wouldn't break that line up but BP needs to really give some thought with where Tkachuk, Bennett, Ryan and Neal best fit to make this a better team. He seems willing to keep trying out various scenarios given last night's adjustment to the defense pairings. I like what he did there and it may payoff to have a vet with each of these younger defensemen.

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Brodie

Valimaki, Hamonic or Stone

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I disagree because Monahan needs the help in the circle and more speed on that line defensively.

On the road, they need that for sure.  But Lindholm struggles with them half the time.

When we can give better zone starts to the top line, then Neal adds a heavy presence to the line.

I liked Bennett and Neal together, but Ryan wasn't great all the time and Janko didn't seem to fit either.

Can be an in-game thing or home only, if you like.

The biggest thing is to have dfferent looks.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 11:55 AM, travel_dude said:

On the road, they need that for sure.  But Lindholm struggles with them half the time.

When we can give better zone starts to the top line, then Neal adds a heavy presence to the line.

I liked Bennett and Neal together, but Ryan wasn't great all the time and Janko didn't seem to fit either.

Can be an in-game thing or home only, if you like.

The biggest thing is to have dfferent looks.

I see it more as staying together and getting more use to each others tendencies. The mistake being made right now IMO is not putting together Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal as a line. I see Ryan as a good fit with Backlund and Frolik eventually. Onward and upwards.

• Like 1

On October 22, 2018 at 0:31 PM, MAC331 said:

I see it more as staying together ad getting more use to each others tendencies. The mistake being made right now IMO is not putting together Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal as a line. I see Ryan as a good fit with Backlund and Frolik eventually. Onward and upwards.

Your idea of Sammy and Chucky together. Two guys that have unstoppable motors. I think would gel nicely. 

13 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Your idea of Sammy and Chucky together. Two guys that have unstoppable motors. I think would gel nicely. 

I liked that they put Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik coming in at 18 years old but it is time to get him away from them. I don't say this because its a bad line but this team needs to create another scoring line. Bennett is showing lots of the promise we have been waiting on and BT didn't bring in Neal to waste him on a 3rd line. They need a playmaker on that line just how Gaudreau is for the top line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I liked that they put Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik coming in at 18 years old but it is time to get him away from them. I don't say this because its a bad line but this team needs to create another scoring line. Bennett is showing lots of the promise we have been waiting on and BT didn't bring in Neal to waste him on a 3rd line. They need a playmaker on that line just how Gaudreau is for the top line.

Sammy should have 6 goals by now 3 waved off and one post. Neal should be the extra finisher on the 1st so that could put Lindholm on the second line with Chucky. IMO BP is working a lot with Sammy to get him back on track and I think BP likes him a lot. If BT wanted to bring in another playmaker into the fold maybe take a looksie at Mats Zaccarello he's 31 on a rebuilding team so, maybe he's available he'd work good with Sammy and Chucky. I think Sammy will take the 2nd line Center spot soon.

8 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

Sammy should have 6 goals by now 3 waved off and one post. Neal should be the extra finisher on the 1st so that could put Lindholm on the second line with Chucky. IMO BP is working a lot with Sammy to get him back on track and I think BP likes him a lot. If BT wanted to bring in another playmaker into the fold maybe take a looksie at Mats Zaccarello he's 31 on a rebuilding team so, maybe he's available he'd work good with Sammy and Chucky. I think Sammy will take the 2nd line Center spot soon.

You could have Neal top line and Lindholm with Bennett and Tkachuk. BP needs to make some decisions and firm up his lines and pairings with who will play with who. The time for all this experimenting should be coming to an end. This is causing all the scrambled play and killing the in game momentum.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You could have Neal top line and Lindholm with Bennett and Tkachuk. BP needs to make some decisions and firm up his lines and pairings with who will play with who. The time for all this experimenting should be coming to an end. This is causing all the scrambled play and killing the in game momentum.

Yes, your right. Tons of scrambled play. 

On 10/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, TheFan99 said:

I have to agree with Cross here.

We have all mostly complained about Bennett's play since the one good playoffs he had.

Now he seems to be finally breaking out and playing and you guys want to try him somewhere else? Leave him be ... Leave him alone he is doing okay right now... there is no need to try him somewhere else...

17 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We have all mostly complained about Bennett's play since the one good playoffs he had.

Now he seems to be finally breaking out and playing and you guys want to try him somewhere else? Leave him be ... Leave him alone he is doing okay right now... there is no need to try him somewhere else...

Hard to say what the lines will be aganst TO.  The way the game ended, it was:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk

Dube - Backlund - Czarnik

Bennett - Lindholm - Neal

Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Brodie

Hanifin - Hamonic

Valimaki - Andersson

I like the idea of Lindy between Bennett and Neal.  He has a good passing game, so maybe Bennett doesn;t need to worry so much about doing it all himself.  Neal shuld get setups as well.  As it stands, there is a good defensive player on each line.  Backlund's line has at least two, as well as the 4th line.  

18 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

The fact that he has come in this season wanting and playing like a difference maker should determine where that effort comes from. Like a number of others on this team he has played both C and W, the type of play he is displaying now is why we drafted him as a C. You want the same for Tkachuk obviously who is being wasted with Backlund and Frolik, being afraid to try what cold be better leaves you where you are already. Changes can also lead to better.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The fact that he has come in this season wanting and playing like a difference maker should determine where that effort comes from. Like a number of others on this team he has played both C and W, the type of play he is displaying now is why we drafted him as a C. You want the same for Tkachuk obviously who is being wasted with Backlund and Frolik, being afraid to try what cold be better leaves you where you are already. Changes can also lead to better.

He leads the team in high danger chances and 3rd in overall chances.

Seems like all he needs to do is connect on them.

Tkachuk is one behind Gaudreau in points and PP points.  Over a point per game.

If he stagnates, then maybe you change him up.

He's being given parts of games on the top line, so the coach recognizes his D game and like to change things up when the top line struggles.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

He leads the team in high danger chances and 3rd in overall chances.

Seems like all he needs to do is connect on them.

Tkachuk is one behind Gaudreau in points and PP points.  Over a point per game.

If he stagnates, then maybe you change him up.

He's being given parts of games on the top line, so the coach recognizes his D game and like to change things up when the top line struggles.

I don't know where Tkachuk is getting his points 5 on 5 or PP but I won't change my mind on how this team could improve it 5 on 5 play with a few simple line changes.

Bennett is everywhere and I don't know if his Father gave him a good talking to in the offseason or what but you could put him anywhere right now and he will succeed. This is what we have been waiting for IMO which is why I would look right now to get him playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm. Why wait for someone to stagate ? BP should be pro-active and be seeking out the best situations for added success NOT accepting status quo of the past.

16 minutes ago, Zirakzigil said:

Bennett has really impressed me so far. I am also someone who is curious how a Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal line would work. Might be a way to create more secondary offense, as well as being a massive pain to the other team. 

Every time I see Lindholm have a so-so game, he comes up big time the next one.

One of the few one-timers on the team (Neal is the other).

It's hard to break up the top line when they keep doing that.

Janko between Bennett and Neal has looked good at times.  Give them a few to get some chemistry going.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Sam Bennett is being put on the 2nd line with Tkachuk and Backlund, will this finally benefit him the most?? I think he fits in their the best out of all the lines!

I don't think it could hurt.  He's be relied upon less to score and more to prevent.

Don't know what he will be like on the RW, since he hasn't looked great there in the past when played with Monahan and JH.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would dispute that notion. I think Bennett actually looked really good with when he would play RW on the top line, but The Flames just never stuck with it for any length of time 

Agreed - When you have Chucks and JH on left and if SB is not ready to move to centre (he will eventually). Then you need to play him at RW for a while.  He will gain confidence with Backs and Chucky and will eventually prosper - just watch!  Really like this move by BP - he’s on to it!

I don't mind Bennett on the top line. I think we are weak down the middle right now. Jankowski and Ryan are not effective third line centres. The Flames need to move Lindholm to C to balance that out. From there it's a matter of filling in the blanks. Lots of options. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Or 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal 

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Or even

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal

Tkachuk-Monahan-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik 

Or one of a dozen options. But get your finishers with playmakers (ie Neal), get your young guys in positions to be successful (Bennett, Czarnik) and stop treating your third line like a trash despenser with a mish mash of whomever is left over. 

16 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I don't mind Bennett on the top line. I think we are weak down the middle right now. Jankowski and Ryan are not effective third line centres. The Flames need to move Lindholm to C to balance that out. From there it's a matter of filling in the blanks. Lots of options. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Or 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal 

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Or even

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal

Tkachuk-Monahan-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik 

Or one of a dozen options. But get your finishers with playmakers (ie Neal), get your young guys in positions to be successful (Bennett, Czarnik) and stop treating your third line like a trash despenser with a mish mash of whomever is left over. 

I agree! I think that’s why the flow ends after the 2nd line. Backlund isn’t scoring but not for the lack of chances. He just has to learn to hit the net or not shoot it to the mid section of the goalie. He’s snake bitten this season and it makes it seem like he’s playing bad. So once they get going again and we can form a 2nd or 3rd line then I think the offence will flow better.

i like your choices. 

Mac and Travel, well everyone seems to have good ideas as well. But they need to stick to something for a few games.

i think Ryan is too weak to be a 3rd line C.

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Or 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal 

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Or even

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal

Tkachuk-Monahan-Czarnik

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik 

I like the 1st and 2nd options more than the third, though I think that would also work okay.  I would lean towards a top line including Neal, though.  I think you need another threat up there.  Also someone that will draw the defenders away from Monahan and JH.  Neal can be a real pest and we have to stop being nice guys.

Would love to see Lindholm at center with Tkachuk.  That pair would score.  The 3rd on the line is tricky.  Czarnik may be the best choice since he offers another look; Lindholm and Czarnik are fairly fast.  

I am fine with the BBF line.  AT worst, they are going to prevent goals against.  At best, they may develop into a reincarnation of the 3M line from last season.  That would be ideal and would solve the problem of what to do with Bennett.

As a line to build on, the 4th line should be able to do a similar job to the BBF line.  Janko is underrated in that aspect.  Hathaway and Ryan and Dube can fight it out for spots, and if need be one of them goes to the AHL.  Would prefer that the young guys not sit and that you swap in players based on performance and need for a particular game.

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Thats written in the language Friedman speaks. 

I believe it was Lebrun.  He doesn;t make stuff up, but it sounds like a combo of two different stories.  One being a possibly leaked report from an agent, the other being the party line that BT has been saying (and Burke touched on it).