Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Saw this:

DsD49n4U0AAnqke.jpg:large

If Bennett honestly asked for a trade then the problem is, he's not worth much.  He doesn't want to be here anymore? 

Bennett for Puljujarvi maybe?  Two guys who don't want to be where they are I'm guessing.

Maybe that's why Bennett got promo'd to the second line.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If Bennett honestly asked for a trade then the problem is, he's not worth much.  He doesn't want to be here anymore? 

Bennett for Puljujarvi maybe?  Two guys who don't want to be where they are I'm guessing.

Maybe that's why Bennett got promo'd to the second line.

I don;t think it's a trade he was talking about.  I sounded like usage, whether it being on a line with Brouwer or other spare parts.

47 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I am not a big Bennett fan, but he is worth way more thn pullujrvi.  Neither player can score, but Bennett can kill penalties and plays a physical game.  Pullujarvi is lost if he isn't getting on the score sheet.  

To be fair, the entire team is lost if they aren;t on the scoresheet.  If McDavid doesn;t get a point, they lose.

46 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I liked Bennett tonight. Would give him some more time on the Backlund line, points will come 

He's still fighting it.

Twice he tried to carry the puck in all the way to the net.

Once he was tripped/fell; managed to get a pass to Backlund for the whiff.

The other one he tried to go through two players and lost it/fell.

I like his game, just don;t know what he need to do differently to score.

He's deflecting pucks away from the net or getting hit with the puck heading for the net.

He's finding the most traffic possible to try and get a shot away.

He need to see a Witch Doctor to remove the curse.

Maybe playing against McDavid will help.

He used to shut that kid down.

2 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I am not a big Bennett fan, but he is worth way more thn pullujrvi.  Neither player can score, but Bennett can kill penalties and plays a physical game.  Pullujarvi is lost if he isn't getting on the score sheet.  

Lots of players can kill penalties and play physical and not score.  That's easily replaceable (not that easy but you get the point).  Neither Bennett nor Puljujarvi projects high right now but Puljujarvi is 2 years younger and can still be straightened out.  Plus the whole RHS RW with size.  Flames have two stud LW already so... Just balancing out the winger situation if anything.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lots of players can kill penalties and play physical and not score.  That's easily replaceable (not that easy but you get the point).  Neither Bennett nor Puljujarvi projects high right now but Puljujarvi is 2 years younger and can still be straightened out.  Plus the whole RHS RW with size.  Flames have two stud LW already so... Just balancing out the winger situation if anything.

The issue I have with the trade is only that Bennett would become a first line LW with McDavid.  He would put up a ton on points and add an edge that McDavid doen;t have.

I might consider Janko for Pooly.  At least they would get a player that wouldn;t kill us to lose.  

Then again, I like Janko too, just isn;t in the right spot here right now.

Would need to work out a 3-way deal so we wouldn;t have to play Bennett so often.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The issue I have with the trade is only that Bennett would become a first line LW with McDavid.  He would put up a ton on points and add an edge that McDavid doen;t have.

I might consider Janko for Pooly.  At least they would get a player that wouldn;t kill us to lose.  

Then again, I like Janko too, just isn;t in the right spot here right now.

Would need to work out a 3-way deal so we wouldn;t have to play Bennett so often.

Except Bennett won't put up that much points with McDavid.  Pat Maroon was a comparable 3rd liner with edge who managed 42-points riding shotgun with McDavid as a career best.  Lucic, not even close.  Eberle didn't click. Yakupov, Strome, Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Pouliot, Letestu, Rattie, etc.  List goes on. Just can't keep up with McDavid in one facet or another.  Some had the speed but not the finish.  Others had the finish but not the speed.   Others were great along the boards and offered little else.

You literally have to have more of a total package like RNH and Draisaitl to keep up.  Bennett is not even close.  Bennett has below average shot accuracy, below average passing, below average awareness of surroundings, below average stick handling, etc Bennett does not have a lot of tools except for speed and grit.

Bennett should have spent more time in the AHL. At this point it's obvious he'll likely never reach expectations of being a high draft but he's still a serviceable player. I feel for the kid, hes still young, he's already on his 3rd coach and has had to transition from wing to C and back to wing. He's never had consistent linemates either. 

Trading him for PoolParty is a bad trade IMO, Bennett has atleast shown he can elevate his game come playoffs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rickross said:

Bennett should have spent more time in the AHL. At this point it's obvious he'll likely never reach expectations of being a high draft but he's still a serviceable player. I feel for the kid, hes still young, he's already on his 3rd coach and has had to transition from wing to C and back to wing. He's never had consistent linemates either. 

Trading him for PoolParty is a bad trade IMO, Bennett has atleast shown he can elevate his game come playoffs. 

Just curious as to how exactly people think Bennett would have been at a different level now if he had spent time in the AHL? 

6 hours ago, rickross said:

He never played at all in the AHL. When injured and recovered he was sent back to his OHL team.. Kingston. He was never eligible until age 20 and by then it was too late.

6 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

He never played at all in the AHL. When injured and recovered he was sent back to his OHL team.. Kingston. He was never eligible until age 20 and by then it was too late.

Yeah I remember, I meant his development likely could have benefited from some time in the AHL. He showed well during the Flames playoff run that 1st year and I think that skewed his development path. Not saying the AHL would automatically make him a more prolific scorer in the NHL but I think it would have taken some pressure off him, shown him the organization is willing to be patient. 

9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

He just needs confidence now.  He’s playing the right way imo at this point, just waiting for the dam to burst so to speak.  He needs a puck to bounce in off his backside or something.

Maybe reality lies somewhere between your view and The_People1's view of Bennett.  

I think tonight’s game proves how important Bennett can be. Crushes a big

man in Nurse and then drops the mitts and handles himself nicely. Maybe won’t be a high end point producer but IMO that’s fine. Couple weeks ago I thought Friedman made a good point, said something along the lines of lots call Bennett a bust, but if he plays 10 seasons for the Flames what’s there to complain about? A bust is a guy like Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart that never plays or sticks for any point of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think tonight’s game proves how important Bennett can be. Crushes a big

man in Nurse and then drops the mitts and handles himself nicely. Maybe won’t be a high end point producer but IMO that’s fine. Couple weeks ago I thought Friedman made a good point, said something along the lines of lots call Bennett a bust, but if he plays 10 seasons for the Flames what’s there to complain about? A bust is a guy like Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart that never plays or sticks for any point of time.

I don;t think anyone says he's a bust.

If he stays at current rate, he will be at or less last's years output.

Does the value of that outweigh what you might get in trade?

I'm not arguing for trading him or keeping him.

So, compare him to Kassian, who I pesonally hate.  Both are gritty and fight.  Production similar in the last few years.

If Bennett ended up with the same career as Kassian would that still be alright?

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t think anyone says he's a bust.

If he stays at current rate, he will be at or less last's years output.

Does the value of that outweigh what you might get in trade?

I'm not arguing for trading him or keeping him.

So, compare him to Kassian, who I pesonally hate.  Both are gritty and fight.  Production similar in the last few years.

If Bennett ended up with the same career as Kassian would that still be alright?

Right now I think teams will be trying to buy low on Bennett, you’ll see lots on capfriendly other teams fans proclaiming he’s a bust but they obviously don’t watch much of the Flames. I see him as potentially being a Cogliano type player who was also another high pick I believe

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Right now I think teams will be trying to buy low on Bennett, you’ll see lots on capfriendly other teams fans proclaiming he’s a bust but they obviously don’t watch much of the Flames. I see him as potentially being a Cogliano type player who was also another high pick I believe

They can call all they want.  The GM isn;t stupid.  You want Bannett, there's a reason.  We know what he is.  Obviously you wouldn;t be calling if you felt he was a bust.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple weeks ago I thought Friedman made a good point, said something along the lines of lots call Bennett a bust, but if he plays 10 seasons for the Flames what’s there to complain about? A bust is a guy like Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart that never plays or sticks for any point of time.

This. 

This is an excellent point about perspective. Gotta be mindful of that. I like it. 

Love. 

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Cogliano is a good comparison.  Drafted as an offensive player but couldn't cut it as such so he transformed his game to a defensive one.  It's worked well for him. 

Another good comparable may be Daniel Cleary.  At the age of 15, i believe he was only the 5th player in history (at the time) to play in the OHL as a 15 year old.  He was labeled the "Next One" at that time.  Of course after getting drafted in the NHL 13th overall, he never became the Next One.  He was bounced around the league and struggled to find himself for 5 or 6 seasons before he went Grinder Mode and discovered another angle to the game where he excelled.  I would argue he was one of the league's best grinders for a period of 5 years with Detroit.

These guys don't score that much but you need them to win Cups.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Cogliano is a good comparison.  Drafted as an offensive player but couldn't cut it as such so he transformed his game to a defensive one.  It's worked well for him. 

Another good comparable may be Daniel Cleary.  At the age of 15, i believe he was only the 5th player in history (at the time) to play in the OHL as a 15 year old.  He was labeled the "Next One" at that time.  Of course after getting drafted in the NHL 13th overall, he never became the Next One.  He was bounced around the league and struggled to find himself for 5 or 6 seasons before he went Grinder Mode and discovered another angle to the game where he excelled.  I would argue he was one of the league's best grinders for a period of 5 years with Detroit.

These guys don't score that much but you need them to win Cups.

You know who Bennett reminds me of is Nystrom that played for us. Nystrom was also a goal scorer in Junior but fast changed his game in order to stick in the NHL. We can't and shouldn't wait forever for a scoring touch to return for Bennett.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You know who Bennett reminds me of is Nystrom that played for us. Nystrom was also a goal scorer in Junior but fast changed his game in order to stick in the NHL. We can't and shouldn't wait forever for a scoring touch to return for Bennett.

I remember Eric Nystrom. Always like him. I feel like the Bennett-Nystrom comparison is pretty accurate (except Bennett still produced better offense). I could see him being somewhere between a Nystrom and a Cleary (closer to Cleary points wise, but Nystrom with the willingness to drop the gloves). If he puts in 10 productive years in that kind of role and we get some success in the playoffs (where that kind of role tends to be what wins games, especially when combined with skill), I'll be more than happy

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

An aside, my favourite memory of Dan Cleary...

Love.