Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

I think if they are able to keep him in the top 6 and where he plays it could be a quality 2nd line option. If he gets knocked down again, then it is dangerous…

Keep him at C and I think he can succeed. It’s how I’ve always felt about him & he can do well if he plays with good players. I think he has more smarts than a lot here give him credit for. When he has players to use, he actually uses them. If he doesn’t have players to play with, he gets himself into trouble doing it himself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Feels like a lot for Bennett, based off his 15 games as a Panther.

He might be a 3rd line centre for them, behind Barkov and Reinhart

I think if they have Dube level or higher wingers to play with him, I think he can reach those numbers for them. 

if they don’t, it’ll be a bad deal, but apparently one that is easily bought out in two years.

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I'll admit I have my doubts he will live up to that contract, but FLA really couldn't give him a one year prove it deal. Bennett leveraged his RFA status and strong performance over a small sample size into a good deal for himself with solid pay and stability. Good for the player, and hopefully he rewards his team for having faith in him.

For sures he won't live up to it.  It is the classic trap.  A dozen good games and a fluke playoffs where the honeymoon period ended quickly.

I may even want to say he'll get bought out the final year.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For sures he won't live up to it.  It is the classic trap.  A dozen good games and a fluke playoffs where the honeymoon period ended quickly.

He was always a little pissy about not getting the big contract here.

Seing as we would have lost him or Gio to Seattle, the extra cap space is probably worth more to us than the player was.
I even have my doubts they would have claimed him over Gio.

That said, good that he has a GM with faith that he learns from his costly playoff mistakes and plays like a $4m player.

Even though I think it's high, it's a good bet from the Panthers. As already pointed out the buyout is cheap on (only 1/3 of the deal) so even if doesn't go well a buyout is not cap crippling. 

Makes more sense to do it that way than give him 1 year deal to wait and see. Then your dealing with UFA and if it does put up numbers that $ figure could get out of control in a hurry 

On 7/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, The_People1 said:

Lol. Surely you jest. He has Huberdeau on one side of him, at worst Owen Tippett on the other side, sound dmen and good goalie behind him...

You're forgetting he doesn't play for the Flames anymore, he's skating with players that aren't stuck in mud and can easily keep up.

It's an entirely different world. It isn't small sample size, it's what happens when a good player goes to a team that isn't deathly lazy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Lol. Surely you jest. He has Huberdeau on one side of him, at worst Owen Tippett on the other side, sound dmen and good goalie behind him...

You're forgetting he doesn't play for the Flames anymore, he's skating with players that aren't stuck in mud and can easily keep up.

It's an entirely different world. It isn't small sample size, it's what happens when a good player goes to a team that isn't deathly lazy.

I don't claim to know what will happen, I can see both sides to this.   But the key here is actually the good dmen.   It means he gets possession of the puck.  It means he's allowed to make mistakes and take risks.   The Flames put a lot of effort into risk mitigation with him to cover for the fact that they have inconsistent D and goaltending.