Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

40 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames had Frolik making 4.3 ,Ryan making 3.1 and Neal at 5.75. The bottom 6 was too expensive to keep Hathaway

I think the term he got from Washington was the real kicker, 1.5 isn't a horrible hit but 5 years for a 27 year old grinder is too long.  Also worth noting I'm not sure the Flames made no effort to keep him, he really only had one good chance to cash in and took advantage of that.  I don't fault the player for taking that and don't fault the Flames for not bettering that offer.

As far as Lomberg, lets all be honest, none of us penciled him in as a first or even second call up if we would've signed him, few tears were shed when he went to UFA.  But good on him for taking advantage, pretty cool to see him get that tonight.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think the term he got from Washington was the real kicker, 1.5 isn't a horrible hit but 5 years for a 27 year old grinder is too long.  Also worth noting I'm not sure the Flames made no effort to keep him, he really only had one good chance to cash in and took advantage of that.  I don't fault the player for taking that and don't fault the Flames for not bettering that offer.

As far as Lomberg, lets all be honest, none of us penciled him in as a first or even second call up if we would've signed him, few tears were shed when he went to UFA.  But good on him for taking advantage, pretty cool to see him get that tonight.

Actually, I was always a Lomberg fan.

The fact that I was right and you were wrong is neither here nor there though.

Big fan. Love him long time.😃

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lol, okay few of us did.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I give Lomberg all the credit in the world. He always played so hard, but I never really thought he had the skills to be an NHLer. He’s clearly put in the work, his puck skills look to have improved. Good for him.

And for sure, the Hathaway term is just too long. It was 1.5x4. The cap hit isn’t bad, but like you said, it’s the term that I could see being the issue for the Flames

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I give Lomberg all the credit in the world. He always played so hard, but I never really thought he had the skills to be an NHLer. He’s clearly put in the work, his puck skills look to have improved. Good for him.

And for sure, the Hathaway term is just too long. It was 1.5x4. The cap hit isn’t bad, but like you said, it’s the term that I could see being the issue for the Flames

Lomberg's always been aggressive, fast, and pretty good mitts.

For the record.

48 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

i actually think he was pigeonholed into a role and seen as replaceable because that role has high turnover and he’s not large enough to play that role, so they went and got Rinaldo.

I'm happy for Lomberg. I always liked his heart and his attitude so happy to see him score a big goal. Very cool story for a guy who has earned it. 

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i actually think he was pigeonholed into a role and seen as replaceable because that role has high turnover and he’s not large enough to play that role, so they went and got Rinaldo.

He's playing the same role in Washington he played in Calgary. Washington thought he was worth 4 years and Calgary didn't and I also suspect Flames would have had to pay him more $. Perfectly rationale IMO to not want to give a player like that a 4 year term. 

Good on Hathaway for looking like he proved them wrong but I have no problem with the process in letting him walk. 

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yes, I think most of us remember.  What I didn't like was he felt he needed to be a fighter to stay on the team.

It cost him a concussion IIRC.

Remember the game they had his parents on and his mom was freaking out?

But she was realizing that was what he needed to be like.

I never get the coaches here.  Recalled players are lucky to get 8 minutes of a 4th line.

And that's the one that actually get a chance.

So coach Q perhaps has the opposite approach to Sutter. He kept putting Bennett out there even after some penalties and after his 1 game suspension. Puts him in the top 6, has him playing pk and pp. And as far as young players are concerned, he starts Spencer Knight in net for his first ever playoff game in an elimination game. Sounds to me like coach Q is all about the youth. 

3 hours ago, lou44291 said:

So coach Q perhaps has the opposite approach to Sutter. He kept putting Bennett out there even after some penalties and after his 1 game suspension. Puts him in the top 6, has him playing pk and pp. And as far as young players are concerned, he starts Spencer Knight in net for his first ever playoff game in an elimination game. Sounds to me like coach Q is all about the youth. 

I think coach Q is one of the best coaches in the league and wished we signed him. I’d have fired anyone to sign him...

I think he has a read on his players abilities and knows when to push them... I get why he was pissed when the Hawks traded Panarin as I think he knew they had another Cup in them had they kept him. 

I like that he has done that with Benny and I haven’t seen that with our young players since Hartley. Although that was the rebuild. But our young have very short leashes or runways.

9 hours ago, lou44291 said:

And Knight played sensational! Guess he'll be starting game 6!

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, cross16 said:

I'm happy for Lomberg. I always liked his heart and his attitude so happy to see him score a big goal. Very cool story for a guy who has earned it.

Agreed. I almost wept when he buried it. My favourite stories in hockey are guys that never gave up and never got down.

He fits that to a tee.

Always liked his attitude and drive. Some of the best players in the league struggle with adversity when the going gets tough, because the game's always come easy. Players like Lomberg, it's always been adversity, the going has always been tough, so there's no difference.

Heart and soul players are my fave!

13 hours ago, lou44291 said:

There was not much Q could do other than start Knight.

Bennett came back and played the same style he was known for; props to Q for not telling him to change.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett came back and played the same style he was known for; props to Q for not telling him to change.

Really? With $10mil/season Bobrovsky and Dreiger as a goaltending stats darling this year, I felt Q had an easy choice between the 2. The hard choice was choosing Knight in an elimination game. IMO, Q went all in with his nuts on the table on that call. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Shame on them for not having multiple goalies 30+ waiting in the wings, with a couple over 26 in the AHL.  Plus a few left wingers willing to try the position.   After all we don't waste our picks on goalies in the first round.

We never would have been so disrespectful of elders.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Shame on them for not having multiple goalies 30+ waiting in the wings, with a couple over 26 in the AHL.  Plus a few left wingers willing to try the position.   After all we don't waste our picks on goalies in the first round.

We never would have been so disrespectful of elders.

Well, we have a goalie some people believe is as good as Knight.

For shame wasting a 7th on him.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we have a goalie some people believe is as good as Knight.

For shame wasting a 7th on him.

Can't wait to see the Flames give him a chance when he turns 30.

Anyway I think we can all agree this is the answer

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Can't wait to see the Flames give him a chance when he turns 30.

Anyway I think we can all agree this is the answer

Wouldn't be the first time I heard that comment.  And it's scary.

I suspect that half of the Oiler fans want him back, knowing the alternative is Koskinen.

What I find humorous is that the same fans think they can just go sign Grubauer as a UFA.

The reality is that you might luck into a starter by drafting him.

MacDonald over Demko; still not convinced Demko is a true starter, but he is looking good so far.

Knight is an unknown quantity at this point, so I would hardly say it's a slam dunk.

Considering the small list of goalies drafted in the 1st round over the last 8 years, not any real success stories there.

Yet.

And that remains to be seen, right.

The closer to known quantities were trading for guys like Grubauer or Raanta.

We had the chance and didn't make it happen.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Wouldn't be the first time I heard that comment.  And it's scary.

I suspect that half of the Oiler fans want him back, knowing the alternative is Koskinen.

What I find humorous is that the same fans think they can just go sign Grubauer as a UFA.

The reality is that you might luck into a starter by drafting him.

MacDonald over Demko; still not convinced Demko is a true starter, but he is looking good so far.

Knight is an unknown quantity at this point, so I would hardly say it's a slam dunk.

Considering the small list of goalies drafted in the 1st round over the last 8 years, not any real success stories there.

Yet.

And that remains to be seen, right.

The closer to known quantities were trading for guys like Grubauer or Raanta.

We had the chance and didn't make it happen.

You're just jealous because you didn't think of it.   We both know that Smith is the one and only missing piece to our success, he checks off all the boxes.

When I see great suggestions like these it gives me such incredible hope, let's cross our fingers they are coming from management's own burner accounts.  All we can do is be supportive.

43 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

You're just jealous because you didn't think of it.   We both know that Smith is the one and only missing piece to our success, he checks off all the boxes.

When I see great suggestions like these it gives me such incredible hope, let's cross our fingers they are coming from management's own burner accounts.  All we can do is be supportive.

Bennett's RFA arbitration case will be pretty unique.

FLA would do well to offer 3x3 and hope that he is what he was in the playoffs and regular season finish.

Or does Bennett bet on himself and go shorter term.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett's RFA arbitration case will be pretty unique.

FLA would do well to offer 3x3 and hope that he is what he was in the playoffs and regular season finish.

Or does Bennett bet on himself and go shorter term.

For a small  5% fee I would be willing to advise