Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well said. I've always thought he's forcing the game too much, leading to mistakes.

Always thought if he'd let the game come to him he will see it better. Where's the lanes, where's the open ice, where are the patterns. He was always going hard but not really accomplishing anything because he wasn't reading the game well due to hyperventilating all of the time.

I also think that problem came from his rookie success. He had early success so thought that's what he needed to keep doing.

As you said, he's matured and hopefully builds on his at least 2 goals now. What kind of halftard blows the whistle on a too many men when the other team is exactly at a scoring chance?

On the 31 Thoughts Podcast Marek mentioned that a teammate (He didn't mention who) said that Bennett treated every situation like a 1 on 1 battle, which is very much a junior hockey approach to the game. 

• Like 1

Bennet has all the fundamental tools to be a good player. Speed, tenacious, relentless, a high motor, physicality. I've always liked him. I think he's still a Center because of his strong fundamentals. He's, smart but has been wronged by BT and GG who BTW was a terrible development coach. BT is a smart guy on development but he did drop the ball on Sammy. Imagine Bennet with Chucky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

On the 31 Thoughts Podcast Marek mentioned that a teammate (He didn't mention who) said that Bennett treated every situation like a 1 on 1 battle, which is very much a junior hockey approach to the game. 

Don't think it takes a teammate to confirm but ya, just watch Bennett and it's obvious.  Every situation is 1 on 1.  Someone needs to teach him there are moving parts around him.  It's a 5-on-5.  Learn to use teammates.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Don't think it takes a teammate to confirm but ya, just watch Bennett and it's obvious.  Every situation is 1 on 1.  Someone needs to teach him there are moving parts around him.  It's a 5-on-5.  Learn to use teammates.

You're right on that. Besides, Gaudreau I think Sammy is the next best skater on the team. He, has all the tools needed for pro hockey. He, seems so jacked all the time he needs to slow things down a bit and use and see his teammates. 

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And he’s doing that more now. I think the problem really was the line mates he had. If the play dies on their stick every time he passes them the puck, why would he pass them the puck. 

Yes he’s supposed to make line mates better, but if they don’t do anything with it either, what is he supposed to do?

if he stayed with Backlund I think he’d end up passing more and would be averaging close to Tkachuk points, but maybe not as much. Or he might’ve developed further?

Habits tend to stick, so when they tried him with others he was well into playing that way.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

And he’s doing that more now. I think the problem really was the line mates he had. If the play dies on their stick every time he passes them the puck, why would he pass them the puck. 

Yes he’s supposed to make line mates better, but if they don’t do anything with it either, what is he supposed to do?

if he stayed with Backlund I think he’d end up passing more and would be averaging close to Tkachuk points, but maybe not as much. Or he might’ve developed further?

Habits tend to stick, so when they tried him with others he was well into playing that way.

The puck does die on his stick a lot. But, he's always going full tilt. He's, always so jacked up. 

I think him on a line with Derek Ryan and Czarnik could still work. He can stay on the wing, leave the heavy lifting to Ryan and play with another winger who thinks the game well in Czarnik. To be honest I thought Czarnik and Tkachuk showed some potential as a pairing. In Bennett I'll atleast give Bill Peters credit for recognizing he needs more ice time with better linemates. 

Last year Gully said Bennett would be the teams breakout player only to bury him on the 3rd line all year. To Bennett's defence..the kid has had 3 coaches in 4 years and we all know the quality of linemates he's had. Regardless, I still don't think he'll ever live up to his 4th overall expectations but I think he can be a solid player capable of putting up 40-50pts

Very happy to see him get a goal but was as impressed with the number of chances we generated with him on the ice.  He also was on the ice for Lindholm’s and was a useful screen.  I wouldnt start moving him around much though, He seems to be developing some comfort so lets leave him there for a while.  I have been knocking Backlund recently but saw some good play from him last night.  In closing, I liked last nights lineup.  Nice to see Janko and Hathaway.

the 1:1 reference above I think is pretty accurate.  He seems to be making more of an effort to pass and then head to the net.  Instead of trying to do everything solo.  

really like the overall look of the team - happy for Rittirich also, he must have been crapping himselfoff the start!

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see that this season. I did in the past for sure. But he seems to be using his team mates and focusing on other areas of the game rather then trying to constantly wow everyone. 

10 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't see that this season. I did in the past for sure. But he seems to be using his team mates and focusing on other areas of the game rather then trying to constantly wow everyone. 

I agree and believe we are seeing a new or determined Sam Bennett so far this season. I'm pulling for Bennett because if he breaks out I like our chances.

Great to see Bennett playing his butt off right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

There have been times where he starts to figure it out, but again starts to slump.

If he can keep up this pace for 82 games, then we have something.

Last year, he started with 15 games and zero points.

After that, 16 in 24 games.

Then 10 for the rest of the season.

Let me be clear though.  If Bennett is a 30-40 point guy, and plays like he has to start the season, then he's got a role here.

Not the thing we thought when we draft him, but an important role player.  If he becomes inconsistent in scoring (long stretches of zero points), and doesn't play like the way he has, then what is he? 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Good problem to have but I think Bennett is now forcing Peters to find him more ice time. I hope they do because but imo Bennett needs to be in the top 6 with how he is playing. 

Back at C between Tkachuk and Neal would be worth trying now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kehatch said:

Ya agreed.  He's looking better this season and when you factor in his speed, worth ethic, determination, etc it's hard not to notice him.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Back at C between Tkachuk and Neal would be worth trying now.

I don't think you switch a young player just finding his groove. I'm open to this if he can keep this up for 20 games but for now leave him where he is comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think you switch a young player just finding his groove. I'm open to this if he can keep this up for 20 games but for now leave him where he is comfortable. 

Bennett can be like Ferland.  Looks good for stretches and then not so much.  Incredibly small sample size this season.  Let him continue his strong play and see if he keeps it up.  So far, he seems to be much more rounded a player.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree somewhat however BP is doing a lot of experimenting and searching now so maybe give it a try one game.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Great to see Bennett playing his butt off right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

There have been times where he starts to figure it out, but again starts to slump.

If he can keep up this pace for 82 games, then we have something.

Last year, he started with 15 games and zero points.

After that, 16 in 24 games.

Then 10 for the rest of the season.

Let me be clear though.  If Bennett is a 30-40 point guy, and plays like he has to start the season, then he's got a role here.

Not the thing we thought when we draft him, but an important role player.  If he becomes inconsistent in scoring (long stretches of zero points), and doesn't play like the way he has, then what is he? 

kevin Lavalee???

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett can be like Ferland.  Looks good for stretches and then not so much.  Incredibly small sample size this season.  Let him continue his strong play and see if he keeps it up.  So far, he seems to be much more rounded a player.

It is a really small sample size.  Let's see where the conversation is at Christmas.  I sure hope he is finally figuring it out.  Will be really exciting to have a fast, skilled forward who can also throw hits on the team.  

On 10/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, stubblejumper1 said:

It is a really small sample size.  Let's see where the conversation is at Christmas.  I sure hope he is finally figuring it out.  Will be really exciting to have a fast, skilled forward who can also throw hits on the team.  

I like that he's playing with intensity, even when he isn;t scoring.

Massive hits.

Good defensive play.

The chances are coming for him.

About a milisecond awy from banging in a goal.

Other player called offside when he had an open lane to the net.

Watching the game last and specifically the line of Bennett, Ryan and Neal I felt two things. First this line needs a playmaker. Secondly, the more I watch Ryan the more I see similar characteristics in him that Backlund and Frolik possess. There is no doubt Tkachuk will benefit any line he is one with a scoring touch but is this where he is best used ?

Ryan is a reliable player and a very good RH face off guy that could benefit Backlund a lot. As a checking line I think he would make that line stronger than it has been with Tkachuk. Using Tkachuk on a line with Bennett (and how he is playing) pushing Bennett back to C with Neal on RW could be the break through in scoring we have been seeking.

These two changes are what I wold like to see BP give a try.

• Like 1

I'm almost of the belief that Bennett-Lindholm-Neal might be a good line to try.

Lindy is a passer, but can shoot.  He's smart in positioning.  This combo gives us two strong side faceoff takers.

Have to see how that would work out.

Other than than I think Neal may also be a good fit for the top line.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm almost of the belief that Bennett-Lindholm-Neal might be a good line to try.

Lindy is a passer, but can shoot.  He's smart in positioning.  This combo gives us two strong side faceoff takers.

Have to see how that would work out.

Other than than I think Neal may also be a good fit for the top line.

I disagree because Monahan needs the help in the circle and more speed on that line defensively.