Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

So let me ask you the obvious question... Who does he deserve to play up higher in the LW roster??

Are you going to demote JH or Tkachuk below him, so Bennett can get more time or better linemates?

The obvious answer is 3rd or 4th line minutes is where he has played himself to.

Exactly. You can't rejig the team to try to salvage 1 player no matter how much some fans love him.

I had high hopes when he was drafted but now would be extatic if we could mold him into an Adam Lowry type. Great @ shutdown but still capable of chipping in 20+ points.

12 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Exactly. You can't rejig the team to try to salvage 1 player no matter how much some fans love him.

I had high hopes when he was drafted but now would be extatic if we could mold him into an Adam Lowry type. Great @ shutdown but still capable of chipping in 20+ points.

I don't think he will ever become more than that.  Okay, maybe the points, since he has passed that every year.

I just don't see the skills oozing out, ready to break out.

Hard work, yes.  

But what do I know.  :D

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think he will ever become more than that.  Okay, maybe the points, since he has passed that every year.

I just don't see the skills oozing out, ready to break out.

Hard work, yes.  

But what do I know.  :D

If you watch Lowry (I do a lot. He's 1 of my favorite Jets) you'd be dang happy with that. The guy is great @ shutdown, can (& does) stand up for teamates, takes regular shifts & other teams can't ignore he's involved in the offence.

Only place Bennett is better is in points while Lowry prevents goals by other teams big gunners. A saved goal = a scored goal IMO as it's 1 you don't have to get back.

55 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If you watch Lowry (I do a lot. He's 1 of my favorite Jets) you'd be dang happy with that. The guy is great @ shutdown, can (& does) stand up for teamates, takes regular shifts & other teams can't ignore he's involved in the offence.

Only place Bennett is better is in points while Lowry prevents goals by other teams big gunners. A saved goal = a scored goal IMO as it's 1 you don't have to get back.

It wasn't a shot against AL.  

I'm just saying that I don't think he is going to pass Moanahn or Backlund for that matter. 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It wasn't a shot against AL.  

I'm just saying that I don't think he is going to pass Moanahn or Backlund for that matter. 

In points or in defensive play? I still believe that he can surpass Backlund. Of course, this is like arguing about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

ETA: surpass Backlund in points I meant.

13 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

To a certain extent, that is true. More importantly, I think that Bennett has untapped potential. When placed with anchors, he shifted his game in a way that does not play to his natural strengths. I don't think that he is a case of misidentifying offensive potential. I think that Mac has a point that he became a lower priority when we acquired Tkachuk. Now that we have more offensive prowess, we should put him together with players who can help him with his stunted development. I also think that putting him with Tkachuk might remind him of how to play a more three-dimensional way. 

Having said that, maybe he did just mature early and this is his ceiling. To exploit all of our potential, I think it wise to give him a shot with some bonafide talented people. If he still does not pan out (i.e. he does not have the talent or his potential is permanently stunted), then put him in the direction of Backlund. I don't think Backlund ever found his groove with the Flames. I think we messed him up a little. There are plenty of tools who can play a defensive game. The talent should be nurtured.

These first two games it seems that he is building good chemistry with Jankowski and seems to be meshing better with his line mates which I thought has always been one of his main deficiencies.  Thought the line played pretty well today, had some chances too.  Looking forward to this continuing.

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

In points or in defensive play? I still believe that he can surpass Backlund. Of course, this is like arguing about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

ETA: surpass Backlund in points I meant.

I'm waiting for him to get scoring chances.  

You know, I think they might do well to swap Dube and Bennett.

Not because Dube is playing bad, just that we should have another C on that line besides Dube.

See if there is any chemistry between Bennett, Ryan and Neal.  

Dube and Janko with Frolik?  Why not.

I liked Bennett tonight a fair bit. He isn't getting much ice time, but he is playing with jump and generating chances. He also isn't taking bad penalties and he is committed defensively. If he keeps it up he will get a chance further up the line up. Either in place of Dube, or when we have an injury. 

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

I liked Bennett tonight a fair bit. He isn't getting much ice time, but he is playing with jump and generating chances. He also isn't taking bad penalties and he is committed defensively. If he keeps it up he will get a chance further up the line up. Either in place of Dube, or when we have an injury. 

I really hope we are just seeing a feel out period by these coaches to see who belongs with who because it is still a meshmash IMO. If they want Bennett to be a success I don't think it should be a matter of trying to take whatever little time is afforded to him on a 4th to work his way up. This organization needs to believe he either has the talents to be to 9 over a rookie or a player brought in or make plans to trade him. They have done nothing but make moves surrounding him that would discourage most players yet we still look for confidence in his play. I think it's a shame the way Bennett has been handled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I really hope we are just seeing a feel out period by these coaches to see who belongs with who because it is still a meshmash IMO. If they want Bennett to be a success I don't think it should be a matter of trying to take whatever little time is afforded to him on a 4th to work his way up. This organization needs to believe he either has the talents to be to 9 over a rookie or a player brought in or make plans to trade him. They have done nothing but make moves surrounding him that would discourage most players yet we still look for confidence in his play. I think it's a shame the way Bennett has been handled.

I don;t think their decisions about Bennett have anything to do with believing or not believing in him.  The sample size is large and he should be the best player on his line regardless of who he plays with.  That is assuming he is that player.  Play Gaudreau on any line and he is the best player. 

Bennett needs to show that bring it every shift.  He's not a rookie.  He knows what to do.  He simply has to play better than Dube to move up.    

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t think their decisions about Bennett have anything to do with believing or not believing in him.  The sample size is large and he should be the best player on his line regardless of who he plays with.  That is assuming he is that player.  Play Gaudreau on any line and he is the best player. 

Bennett needs to show that bring it every shift.  He's not a rookie.  He knows what to do.  He simply has to play better than Dube to move up.    

I don't believe your way of thinking. Who is to say he hasn't been the best player on the lines he has had because they haven't been good lines to begin with. Management and coaching also has the responsibility to put the player is the best possible situation to get the best of a player's talents. The sample size has been a mess is the very point. Sooner or later someone better wake up.

BTW let's just you and I stay off each other's posts from here on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't believe your way of thinking. Who is to say he hasn't been the best player on the lines he has had because they haven't been good lines to begin with. Management and coaching also has the responsibility to put the player is the best possible situation to get the best of a player's talents. The sample size has been a mess is the very point. Sooner or later someone better wake up.

BTW let's just you and I stay off each other's posts from here on.

I choose to express an opinion when I see fit, regardless of the poster.  Agree or disagree.  It really doesn't matter.  We're all adults here.

The sample size is what it is.  243 NHL games.

If he's been better than Dube or Tkachuk or Neal or Czarnik, then he absolutely should be played with better players.  

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I choose to express an opinion when I see fit, regardless of the poster.  Agree or disagree.  It really doesn't matter.  We're all adults here.

The sample size is what it is.  243 NHL games.

If he's been better than Dube or Tkachuk or Neal or Czarnik, then he absolutely should be played with better players.  

Go ahead but don't bother to comment on my posts. You and I just don't view hockey and managing a team in the same manner.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm in total agreement with you on this. My thinking is the same, if you are the best, no matter who you have to played with for your line mates, you will still shine. Bennett have no excuses at this point in his career and he needs to step up and show us.

If you are playing Bennett based on what he could be your making a mistake.  That is a poor idea for any prospect / player, but especially one that has been in the NHL for years.  Take Dube, he is getting his time based on what he has been able to do to date.  That said, I like what I have seen from Bennett.  I think he should be getting some time because he has been playing well.  If the coach doesn't want to mess with his top two lines then lets put Bennett with Ryan/Neal on the third line. 

I believe each player has a specific skill set, and it’s up to the coach and player to exploit that skill set. Having Bennett try to be this all round player in order to move up the lineup may be a target that doesn’t fit his wheel house. What are his skills? Is he a decent finisher? Does he have the vision to make passes that generate offensive opportunities? Is he a mucker and grinder who can win battles along the boards and gain possession for the team? To me, it seems like he’s always trying so hard to do things solo. Perhaps the message he’s received from management is that he has to drive his line to get other opportunities. I think about players like Phil Kessel. Could he drive a line with Janko and Frolik? Don’t think so, but he’s got a valuable skill that benefits his team because of how they use him. I’m thinking maybe Sam Bennett needs an opportunity in a different role. As some have suggested, I’d like to see Bennett get a twirl with Neal and Ryan - but I expect the coach to let him know what his role on the line is - and not that he’s driving it. I’d like to see him on the power play in front of the net, deflecting and banging in some “garbage goals”. I see Sam Bennett as a player with snarl. Someone with an edge. We brought in some added forward depth this year, so why is Bennett playing with the same players as last year? Give him a shot with someone new, in a different role. You can’t expect different results when the parameters haven’t changed from the year before. 

To me, I see Bennett’s potential as a Gary Roberts / Corey Perry type. We gotta let the dog loose. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kehatch said:

If you are playing Bennett based on what he could be your making a mistake.  That is a poor idea for any prospect / player, but especially one that has been in the NHL for years.  Take Dube, he is getting his time based on what he has been able to do to date.  That said, I like what I have seen from Bennett.  I think he should be getting some time because he has been playing well.  If the coach doesn't want to mess with his top two lines then lets put Bennett with Ryan/Neal on the third line. 

I 1000% disagree and imo this is exactly why the Flames continue to struggle with development. Put players in situations that match their skill sets and can help them achieve their potential. Overal ice time isn't as important as situational ice time and imo this is where flames have let Bennett down. I think the whole toss them in the deep end and let them learn to swim plan is a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I 1000% disagree and imo this is exactly why the Flames continue to struggle with development. Put players in situations that match their skill sets and can help them achieve their potential. Overal ice time isn't as important as situational ice time and imo this is where flames have let Bennett down. I think the whole toss them in the deep end and let them learn to swim plan is a thing of the past. 

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.  

Management in any field needs to put players/employees in situations where they can succeed.  Everyone needs mentoring. 

Players/employees need to be able to work outside of their comfort zone in order to grow.  Everyone has to do what is best for the team.

Bennett is a fast skater, a hard worker and he is fearless but he lacks high end skill.  He was drafted as a centre and the team gave him an opportunity at centre.  He didn't show much playmaking ability, so they gave him a chance on the wing.  He hasn't shown much finishing ability, and he has taken a lot of undisciplined penalties, so they are deploying him as a role player.

I am not sure where they could give him an opportunity in more offensive situations. 

- Bennett isn't going to bump Gaudreau or Monahan off the first line.

- Brouwer played a bit on the first line and his contract was bought out.  Ferland played a bit on the first line and he was traded.  Is Bennett significantly better than either of those guys?

- Bennett isn't going to bump Tkachuk or Backlund off the second line.

- Is Bennett any better than Frolik? 

Maybe Bennett deserves a chance on the third line, but are any of those players skilled enough to turn him into a goal scorer?

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Where did I say the Flames should toss a prospect in the deep end and see if they can swim? I am saying the opposite. You don't move a player up the line up unless their play shows you they can "swim". That isn't the right approach to development and it isn't the right approach to winning hockey games. 

If your only justification to playing Bennett top 4 / top 6 is that we like his potential then that's a mistake. I personally think his play has shown he can / should be moved up the line up. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Where did I say the Flames should toss a prospect in the deep end and see if they can swim? I am saying the opposite. You don't move a player up the line up unless their play shows you they can "swim". That isn't the right approach to development and it isn't the right approach to winning hockey games. 

If your only justification to playing Bennett top 4 / top 6 is that we like his potential then that's a mistake. I personally think his play has shown he can / should be moved up the line up. 

I think skill set should be a bigger factor in the decision so I still disagree. Skill set and potential should equal more opportunities and more prime opportunities, ie PP, better linemates etc. Put players in positions to succeed. 

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

At this level it is a matter of getting it right by the coaches IMO whether the team progresses to the next level of success depends on it. It isn't a matter of whether Dube is better than Bennett at this particular time it is about how to max out your talent. We now have better players than we have ever had in the past 6 years so I see it as important for BP to get these lines in proper order or we will have another average season. There is no way Neal should be on the 3rd line ever, he is being wasted and BP had better wake up soon.

1 hour ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.  

Management in any field needs to put players/employees in situations where they can succeed.  Everyone needs mentoring. 

Players/employees need to be able to work outside of their comfort zone in order to grow.  Everyone has to do what is best for the team.

Bennett is a fast skater, a hard worker and he is fearless but he lacks high end skill.  He was drafted as a centre and the team gave him an opportunity at centre.  He didn't show much playmaking ability, so they gave him a chance on the wing.  He hasn't shown much finishing ability, and he has taken a lot of undisciplined penalties, so they are deploying him as a role player.

I am not sure where they could give him an opportunity in more offensive situations. 

- Bennett isn't going to bump Gaudreau or Monahan off the first line.

- Brouwer played a bit on the first line and his contract was bought out.  Ferland played a bit on the first line and he was traded.  Is Bennett significantly better than either of those guys?

- Bennett isn't going to bump Tkachuk or Backlund off the second line.

- Is Bennett any better than Frolik? 

Maybe Bennett deserves a chance on the third line, but are any of those players skilled enough to turn him into a goal scorer?

Bennett doesn't have to knock someone off the top line he could join it. Has in the past and has looked good but flames never stick with it.

Yes he is better than ferland and Brouwer, no contest. 

Yes I think he is better than Frolik. 

Hes one of their most skilled PPs and hardly sees the PP and when he does it's not usually in a favourable situation. Ie game already out of reach, Pp is struggling, 2nd unit etc etc etc. When I see a struggling young player with the skill set Bennett has I would Ben using the PP to get his confidence going. It doesn't always have to be about lines it can be situations too

i agree the answer is in the middle but my beef is that middle really still has not been tried. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DHT said:

I'm in total agreement with you on this. My thinking is the same, if you are the best, no matter who you have to played with for your line mates, you will still shine. Bennett have no excuses at this point in his career and he needs to step up and show us.

So how does he do that with 6 or 8 minutes from the 4th line and no PP time ?

• Like 1