Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

From what I got out of this it was not a Sutter over Trevling decision, it was BT is mentally and Physically done. Unless you have been in a GM role you have no Fing idea how taxing it is on the body and health.  There isn't one factor where he would have made this decision its a collection of emotions good and bad for 9 years of an emotional roller coaster it's just a combination of millions of things, trust me it takes its toll physically and mentally.   His time here has expired, from what I got out of this, the club and owners offered and he turned it down, I get it. There is nothing and I mean nothing that is more liberating and freeing than what Trevling did by walking away. I would bet when he did it was like the world was lifted off his shoulders. He will be back at some time but I don't think he bailed here to go elsewhere.  Appreciate his time and wish him the best moving forward. 

With the rest of we are not done. Sutter isn't clear yet. Maloney having been involved with the exit meetings its all going to depend on how the notes align. IMHO, Bean is well-spoken and gets it. Take the information and process it. analysis and then base your decision on what the vision was, and who was ultimately responsible for their part. I can see a process where Sutter is returning with lots of caveats moving forward, he will be on a short leash in that they will have a list of here is what needs to change and they will hold him to it. Nobody is and I mean nobody is immune to what happened this year.  Who knows Sutter may do what Trevling did and go yeah this isn't what I signed up for or I am not on board with, I am out. Buckle up we are only just getting started. 

Don Maloney was asked at the press conference what kind of GM he was looking for and Maloney did his best to brush the question aside, "it hasn't really begun. We will take our time.  We will do our due diligence.  Nothing to report right now"... Then suddenly Bean does a sharp interjection and is all like, "we will exactly do this, this, this, this, and this to find the new GM".

Like wow.  It was subtle but he hard overstepped Maloney in front of everyone.  Is John Bean why BT didn't want to come back next season?  People trying to do their job but Bean would push his own philosophy onto others?  Not sure but that was unsettling to witness as a fan.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Don Maloney was asked at the press conference what kind of GM he was looking for and Maloney did his best to brush the question aside, "it hasn't really begun. We will take our time.  We will do our due diligence.  Nothing to report right now"... Then suddenly Bean does a sharp interjection and is all like, "we will exactly do this, this, this, this, and this to find the new GM".

Like wow.  It was subtle but he hard overstepped Maloney in front of everyone.  Is John Bean why BT didn't want to come back next season?  People trying to do their job but Bean would push his own philosophy onto others?  Not sure but that was unsettling to witness as a fan.

This arena is just not Beans thing.  I’ve seen him in a few settings like this and every single time I’ve walked away wondering how in the heck this guy got here. Just horrible presentation skills and really sub par people skills. 

he was horrible today. Just so out of touch and arrogant. I have no confidence in that guy leading this organization 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This arena is just not Beans thing.  I’ve seen him in a few settings like this and every single time I’ve walked away wondering how in the heck this guy got here. Just horrible presentation skills and really sub par people skills. 

he was horrible today. Just so out of touch and arrogant. I have no confidence in that guy leading this organization 

I guess he isn't used to ever wearing a suit and tie.

In such an important moment for the Flames organization, he showed up like....

Like he was busy getting his tires changed over and showed up.

If this is the face of the owners, they might want to get a face lift.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

First time I've heard him speak in public and yes, agree he already presents himself as a micromanager that no one wants to work under.  He's saying we have a Vezina-level goaltender that he wants back next season.  But that's not his call (or shouldn't be).  He needs to trust his new GM to make that call.  We are left with the feeling he's not trying to find the perfect candidate but instead, trying to find someone to do his trades and signing for him.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

If BT has essentially dialed out from being mentally, emotionally drained that’s a tell tale sign of the toxic environment he had to operate under. GM role is taxing , exhausting and stressful but it can also be very thrilling , rewarding and fun. If BT was finding it was no longer fun or he was losing his passion of being the GM of the Calgary Flames that’s indicative of the ppl he’s ultimately working for..the owners. Im

sure BT still loves hockey and the GM position , just not with the Calgary Flames. Same way Gaudreau and Tkachuk didn’t want to continue their careers as Calgary Flames. These are elite players and high quality management all opting to leave this organization within less than a year. There’s toxicity within this organization and it sure ain’t creosote!

You're a product of your own environment, if it was as toxic as you indicate, then not 1 player would sign stay for any form of duration. Have to remember this is the TEAM Trevling built. Every up-down good or bad deal trade, hire, or draft choice falls on him, that's 9 years of mediocrity. I am not saying he isn't a standup guy, well-liked, knowledgable, or hard-working, seems like a good man, but based on a 9-year tender, we are still average. When he stepped back to analyze the season as it progressed you could see why he waved the white flag, he couldn't and didn't accomplish the end goal. I will be very surprised if he takes a role of any capacity for a year. He will most likely step back exhale and do some soul-searching as to what he wishes to do next, he has earned that. 

The GM left based on what I would call the correct decision based on his performance, he did the professional thing he fired himself.  The next steps moving forward are not going to be easy decisions. 

Thank you Brad for briniging some respectability back to the Flames organisation.

Good luck and go win a cup with a team out East.  I reckon TML might need a new GM soon!

Maloney?  Meh as PoHO not impressed but the problem is not him but with Ownership.

Hope I am wrong but dark days coming.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Don't worry.  He is the perfect candidate to take the fall for what is to come.   Perfect.

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

You're a product of your own environment, if it was as toxic as you indicate, then not 1 player would sign stay for any form of duration. Have to remember this is the TEAM Trevling built. Every up-down good or bad deal trade, hire, or draft choice falls on him, that's 9 years of mediocrity. I am not saying he isn't a standup guy, well-liked, knowledgable, or hard-working, seems like a good man, but based on a 9-year tender, we are still average. When he stepped back to analyze the season as it progressed you could see why he waved the white flag, he couldn't and didn't accomplish the end goal. I will be very surprised if he takes a role of any capacity for a year. He will most likely step back exhale and do some soul-searching as to what he wishes to do next, he has earned that. 

The GM left based on what I would call the correct decision based on his performance, he did the professional thing he fired himself.  The next steps moving forward are not going to be easy decisions. 

Yeah he Martyred himself. and will be loved a little more for it.  
     I was never a fan, I think the record speaks for itself there.   Was it all his fault? I'm leaning towards no.

Not sure if BT did anything useful here other than destroy our future for half a decade in order to lose a couple playoff rounds.    BUT...

I will say, his departure exposes the owners.   Owners are now in the direct line of fire.     

That....in the long run, may create a turning point this organisation needs to accomplish the things we want to see.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah he Martyred himself. and will be loved a little more for it.  
     I was never a fan, I think the record speaks for itself there.   Was it all his fault? I'm leaning towards no.

Not sure if BT did anything useful here other than destroy our future for half a decade in order to lose a couple playoff rounds.    BUT...

I will say, his departure exposes the owners.   Owners are now in the direct line of fire.     

That....in the long run, may create a turning point this organisation needs to accomplish the things we want to see.

Direct line of fire from who? Going by what I read on these boards its a non-local ownership that seems to be content with being just good enough to turn a profit. The only way ownership will take any notice is when the $$$ starts falling off that would require the fans to start staying home in bigger numbers, but then does that open the door to the "relocation" conversation/threats?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Direct line of fire from who? Going by what I read on these boards its a non-local ownership that seems to be content with being just good enough to turn a profit. The only way ownership will take any notice is when the $$$ starts falling off that would require the fans to start staying home in bigger numbers, but then does that open the door to the "relocation" conversation/threats?

From the fans yes.

I am seeing people in this forum who have literally fought with me for over 2 decades now about being more positive, and they are more piszed off than me now.

These are core fans.   In many cases, I suspect hockey professionals at one point.

This is unprecedented.    We didn't see that in the last rebuild.    Twitter is piszed.   All social sites piszed.    It is beyond indifference. 

Season ticket holders are piszed.  Corporate sponsors, suite holders, all piszed.

And it is just.....getting started.   This is a snowball and we all know it.

Yeah they are in direct line of fire and it is probably the best thing that has ever happened for this organization since the owners were local and cared about the city.

Moving scares?

As far as I am concerned, the organisation that I grew up cheering for left this city the moment the owners did.   Scare tactics about moving don't bother me in the least.   There are real hockey fans in this city, and there is real money.  It would be solved before you could blink.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I thought that too. Add in, "not allowed to say rebuild". That just screams closed-mindedness. Maloney states he'd like to go younger and more progressive...Bean is basically saying that there are already things not open to debate.

I'm quite certain that is the antithesis of young and progressive.

"We'll do it your way so long as your way is our way".lol

I feel I should actually be congratulating BT for escaping the CNRL landscape of doing the bare minimum.

Nixed trades, little support, always being treated like your boss will always go out of his way to put you under his thumb. BT reached the point where he prolly felt he can't do anything right anyways, so why bother?

GM/Coach role reversal was likely the last slap in the face from CNRL.

The worst polluter in the province can't run a hockey team without it mirroring their main business isn't all that shocking.

The next phase is coaches and scouts. There needs to be some self-analysis of this. DS needs to, look in the mirror and see what self-change viewpoints do I need to correct that could have led to the problem. IMHO if I come forth with documentation to validate my side from the interviews and he isn't open to change or admitting yeah this was wrong I could have done this better, I remove his Hash Rate. I am not laying this 100% on Sutter but  There is nothing more repulsive than an individual who won't or can't accept responsibility for their actions and deflect. The same goes to the scouts and rest of the personnel. It also stems to the top as well, if Sutter was allowed to overstep his boundaries then that on the owners for allowing it, that is something that needs to be addressed as well. The correction needs to start at the top and work down, the 1st question that needs to be asked and answered is " What was our role that created this, and how do we prevent it moving forward? Everyone loves a tragedy, as everyone just adds more and more negative content to the situation.  For me this is a  blessing in disguise. Step back and Hash Rate this from all angles and areas find the flaws, faults, that lead to this, put forth directives and policies, and procedures moving forward, get a common vision from everyone involved on what is required at all levels to be successful to move forward in harmony. Sometimes we have to hit bottom to recognize there is a huge issue, to me this is it. 

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The next phase is coaches and scouts. There needs to be some self-analysis of this. DS needs to, look in the mirror and see what self-change viewpoints do I need to correct that could have led to the problem. IMHO if I come forth with documentation to validate my side from the interviews and he isn't open to change or admitting yeah this was wrong I could have done this better, I remove his Hash Rate. I am not laying this 100% on Sutter but  There is nothing more repulsive than an individual who won't or can't accept responsibility for their actions and deflect. The same goes to the scouts and rest of the personnel. It also stems to the top as well, if Sutter was allowed to overstep his boundaries then that on the owners for allowing it, that is something that needs to be addressed as well. The correction needs to start at the top and work down, the 1st question that needs to be asked and answered is " What was our role that created this, and how do we prevent it moving forward? Everyone loves a tragedy, as everyone just adds more and more negative content to the situation.  For me this is a  blessing in disguise. Step back and Hash Rate this from all angles and areas find the flaws, faults, that lead to this, put forth directives and policies, and procedures moving forward, get a common vision from everyone involved on what is required at all levels to be successful to move forward in harmony. Sometimes we have to hit bottom to recognize there is a huge issue, to me this is it. 

I agree that the coaching staff needs to be looked at.  I'm not sure how the same group that allowed the situation to fester over the last 2 years can be expected to make a decent assessment.  Is the former VP now POHO and acting GM capable of deciding this?  Bean has already come out and made comments about his reasons why we failed.  Shouldn't a new GM have the opportunity to name their head coach and assistants?

After the fact, Sutter is going to nod his head and say, gee I could have done this better.  Not like he really believes it.  Nor do I think his inability to self assess a reason to fire him. 

The reason you fire a coach is that you believe that he was in part responsible for the team's failure.  You move on because you know or believe that he won't be different the next year or he doesn't match what you need from a coach.  We saw a year of 111 points and our first playoff victory, then follow that up with a complete failure in round 2, to a falling off the map in most categories and 93 points.  We saw a capped out team use players on the 18th green of their careers being used instead of guys on the 1st hole.  We saw them use the Billy Barue of goalies instead of just tappy tap tapping it in the hole.  Sorry for the Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore references, but the Flames are  in the golf season now.

So here we are.  No GM and an owner rep talking about their beliefs without even doing a deep dive on the future or failure of the team.  Bean says he wants to see the Vezna goalie come back.  Haven't even gone through analysis to see if the goalie was the problem and he is regressing to the point of another year of failure.  Bean suggests that we had a good team.  Maybe, but how good?  3 wins out of the playoffs good or win a round or win the cup good?  

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I thought that too. Add in, "not allowed to say rebuild". That just screams closed-mindedness. Maloney states he'd like to go younger and more progressive...Bean is basically saying that there are already things not open to debate.

I'm quite certain that is the antithesis of young and progressive.

"We'll do it your way so long as your way is our way".lol

I feel I should actually be congratulating BT for escaping the CNRL landscape of doing the bare minimum.

Nixed trades, little support, always being treated like your boss will always go out of his way to put you under his thumb. BT reached the point where he prolly felt he can't do anything right anyways, so why bother?

GM/Coach role reversal was likely the last slap in the face from CNRL.

The worst polluter in the province can't run a hockey team without it mirroring their main business isn't all that shocking.

Yes the two weren't on the same page.  Maloney presented an open approach to his GM search while Bean preached some kind of proprietary matrix system built by him that he probably has a patent pending with the patent office.

Maloney is going to hire the next GM as long as it's the GM Bean approves of.  Exactly.

That said, Bean sounds okay with the general concept of a rebuild as long as it's clear the group of players aren't good enough.  He was just saying he can't use the word "rebuild".  It's some kind of banned pronoun and bigoted.  He then sells us on the belief that the group is good enough so a rebuild is off the table.  So therefore if the new GM believes we need to rebuild, then this person is obviously not qualified for the position because their view of this current roster doesn't align with Bean.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes the two weren't on the same page.  Maloney presented an open approach to his GM search while Bean preached some kind of proprietary matrix system built by him that he probably has a patent pending with the patent office.

Maloney is going to hire the next GM as long as it's the GM Bean approves of.  Exactly.

That said, Bean sounds okay with the general concept of a rebuild as long as it's clear the group of players aren't good enough.  He was just saying he can't use the word "rebuild".  It's some kind of banned pronoun and bigoted.  He then sells us on the belief that the group is good enough so a rebuild is off the table.  So therefore if the new GM believes we need to rebuild, then this person is obviously not qualified for the position because their view of this current roster doesn't align with Bean.

By attrition a rebuild is inevitable, they may not use the term or word but it's unavoidable. Teams usually trend up then peak and then trend down to the rebuild stage and hopefully trend upwards again. When you look at LA they have a shorter version of at the top based on age, got to the top short 3-year span crashed solely based on players' ages. Then went rebuild and are starting to trend up again.  Tampa used a mix and cycled out older for younger but drafted and developed based on need, move UFA out draft develop bring up younger version insert, rinse repeat. The cycle down now is your top-end players are getting worn out and it comes to an end soon there. 

So what does this club look like if Bennett, Monahan, JG, Valimaki, Fox, Hamilton and MT worked out to the level of expectation, this club would be in a very good spot if not great. However between injuries, misfit, no desire to be here, lack of talent ones that tried and wanted to leave

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

By attrition a rebuild is inevitable, they may not use the term or word but it's unavoidable. Teams usually trend up then peak and then trend down to the rebuild stage and hopefully trend upwards again. When you look at LA they have a shorter version of at the top based on age, got to the top short 3-year span crashed solely based on players' ages. Then went rebuild and are starting to trend up again.  Tampa used a mix and cycled out older for younger but drafted and developed based on need, move UFA out draft develop bring up younger version insert, rinse repeat. The cycle down now is your top-end players are getting worn out and it comes to an end soon there. 

So what does this club look like if Bennett, Monahan, JG, Valimaki, Fox, Hamilton and MT worked out to the level of expectation, this club would be in a very good spot if not great. However between injuries, misfit, no desire to be here, lack of talent ones that tried and wanted to leave

Oof man, if Bennett or Monahan worked for us last year, then I think we win the Cup.  We were short one stud 2nd like Center last season.  And if Fox panned out for us, that's a Norris D.  What a franchise altering proposition.

LA was able to do a short rebuild but I think they rushed it and they will not be a legit Cup contenders moving forward with Doughty and Kopitar aging out of prime in the next two years.  Byfield and Clarke will emerge just in time for them to stay exactly where they are... which is kind of in the middle.

Anyways, I got the feeling Bean is okay with a rebuild but he doesn't believe now is the time to rebuild (because he got fooled by the oldest trick in the book.  Team went on a late season run and convinced him there is something here worth saving).  He doesn't want to use the word "rebuild" maybe because it's bad marketing terminology.  Better to say "hard retool" or "deep positive changes" or "move in the right direction", etc.  We will never use the word rebuild even if our actions are a rebuild.

Oof man, if Bennett or Monahan worked for us last year, then I think we win the Cup.  We were short one stud 2nd like Center last season.  And if Fox panned out for us, that's a Norris D.  What a franchise altering proposition.

LA was able to do a short rebuild but I think they rushed it and they will not be a legit Cup contenders moving forward with Doughty and Kopitar aging out of prime in the next two years.  Byfield and Clarke will emerge just in time for them to stay exactly where they are... which is kind of in the middle.

Anyways, I got the feeling Bean is okay with a rebuild but he doesn't believe now is the time to rebuild (because he got fooled by the oldest trick in the book.  Team went on a late season run and convinced him there is something here worth saving).  He doesn't want to use the word "rebuild" maybe because it's bad marketing terminology.  Better to say "hard retool" or "deep positive changes" or "move in the right direction", etc.  We will never use the word rebuild even if our actions are a rebuild.

Its all a gamble bud so in Tre's defense nothing worked out right. Now if things did align and we didn't trade 1st for useless crap we would be further ahead, but can't live in the past. A rebuild will happen it just won't be called that but the optics will scream otherwise. Everyone needs to not get caught up in simple terms of language, becasue they don't use the word doesn't mean there against it

I’ve got no problem with BT. He’s a good NHL GM.

The biggest mistake was the Hamonic trade. The 2018 1st should have been conditional. Should have had the option to make it a 2019 That trade cost the Flames Dobson.

I usually hate going back and looking at drafts, because who knows how the Flames would have picked, but Dobson was a top 10 talent that fell.

Every GM has their mistakes though. That’s just one that sticks out to me though 

Well he did state that they had a "futures" offer for Tkachuk last summer but decided against it. Alluded to the fact they felt they had too many good pieces. 

he also pointed to the analytics in his answer around why he felt we shouldn't overreact. He may be getting fooled but i'm not sure it's in the way you describe. 

I'm not sure I'd consider 11-6-4 against a soft schedule a "run". 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well he did state that they had a "futures" offer for Tkachuk last summer but decided against it. Alluded to the fact they felt they had too many good pieces. 

he also pointed to the analytics in his answer around why he felt we shouldn't overreact. He may be getting fooled but i'm not sure it's in the way you describe. 

I'm not sure I'd consider 11-6-4 against a soft schedule a "run". 

And that was the risk for us.  A weak schedule and get just enough to be in the mushy middle.

By rights, that schedule had us at about 55% chance of making it.

Losses to CHI and SO loss to VAN or NAS put us out.

Being close to making the playoffs is not being a playoff team.

I also believe had we needed to win game 82, Markstrom starts and we lose it.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The biggest mistake was the Hamonic trade. The 2018 1st should have been conditional. Should have had the option to make it a 2019 That trade cost the Flames Dobson.

I usually hate going back and looking at drafts, because who knows how the Flames would have picked, but Dobson was a top 10 talent that fell.

Every GM has their mistakes though. That’s just one that sticks out to me though 

Could have been worse.

Could have traded down and grabbed Jankowski instead of having Vasilevskiy like my favorite gm of all time did 🙄 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Its all a gamble bud so in Tre's defense nothing worked out right. Now if things did align and we didn't trade 1st for useless crap we would be further ahead, but can't live in the past. A rebuild will happen it just won't be called that but the optics will scream otherwise. Everyone needs to not get caught up in simple terms of language, becasue they don't use the word doesn't mean there against it

Yes that's what I mean too.  Bean is open to a rebuild but he just won't use that word.  Also, he was making a case why this also wouldn't be the off season to rebuild.  But based on what he said, he's open to a rebuild when the time is right.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Ya hindsight.  Who would've known Hamonic would have played so poorly.  He came to the Flames with top pair pedigree and was trending into one of the best two way D in the NHL.  He and Giordano was supposed to have formed the Flames top pair for 5+ years.  But yes, it was a horrible move in the end because the Flames were still rebuilding.  Why not be patient and draft?  Why rush it?

The Brouwer signing was legendarily bad.  James Neal was even worse because he didn't learn from the Brouwer mistake.  Those two stick out the most for me.