s4xon

1 hour ago, zima said:

If they don't bring up Wolf might as well start praying for first over all pick. There is no way Marky is going top stop a beach ball and Vlad can't play every game. I would trade Matt and who ever else to get another pick this yr depending on the over all choice we give Maybe Wolf Matt and our first for first over all? Just so you know I know I'm a dreamer.

Teams are loading up on first rounders.  Some already have more than one.  I doubt even 3x1st round picks gets you 1st overall.  In fact, I can't think of a single team that would trade that pick away.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Teams are loading up on first rounders.  Some already have more than one.  I doubt even 3x1st round picks gets you 1st overall.  In fact, I can't think of a single team that would trade that pick away.

Yup, the last time that the first overall pick was traded was 2003. It was Marc Andre Fleury, and the pick was traded by the Florida Panthers - who also traded the 2002 first overall pick, Ric Nash.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/were-no-1-the-history-of-trading-the-nhls-top-pick/

Love.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, travel_dude said:

🐺Dustin Wolf currently leads all @TheAHL goaltenders in following categories:

- Wins (35)

- Shutouts (5)

- GAA (2.22)

- Sv% (0.928)

- Games (47)

- Minutes-played (2761:31)

- Shots faced (1,426)

i was gonna post in here that Wolf is getting overplayed.

But then he had a stellar game, just 1 goal against, and I thought i"ll wait until the next game

yeah so he got a shutout the next game

yeah and then he got another shutout

so yeah.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty much just going to talk about him in here now because I think we're past seeing him as a "prospect".   He's more of this anomally that the Flames will refuse to play.   Maybe they really are going for Bedard lol.  

p.s.. I still have some concerns about him translating to the NHL but those are now a distant, distant second to the glaring ignorance of him by the big team.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

How to get rid of Markstrom this summer?  We could run with Wolf + Vladar and save $5-mil cap.

Also, would Lindholm not extend long term if we trade Markstrom?

Only 2 ways I can think of are how we got rid of Monahan, or a buyout.

I see neither as likely.

Flames are serious about winning now until winning now is expensive.

Seems like we stuck with Markstrom for a while?   If Wolf has great playoffs then could be Vladar who goes?

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Only 2 ways I can think of are how we got rid of Monahan, or a buyout.

I see neither as likely.

Flames are serious about winning now until winning now is expensive.

Seems like we stuck with Markstrom for a while?   If Wolf has great playoffs then could be Vladar who goes?

Back in October, we extended Vladar for 2 years at $2.2-mil x 2.  He didn't have a good season so i'm not sure if there's a market for him.  It's sad we don't have succession plans in place to graduate prospects to the NHL.  It's like we intentionally go out of our way to block kids from making the jump.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Back in October, we extended Vladar for 2 years at $2.2-mil x 2.  He didn't have a good season so i'm not sure if there's a market for him.  It's sad we don't have succession plans in place to graduate prospects to the NHL.  It's like we intentionally go out of our way to block kids from making the jump.

Wolf is literally the only asset right now I really, really, really don't want to trade.

Although if he has an amazing playoff run and we can get several first rounders for him, there's always that.

The organisation does not think more than 5 seconds in front of it and has not for at least a decade.   But they're running out of ammo now.

$2.2m is chump change compared to Markstrom, if one of them has to be bought our or involved in a bad trade, I think it would be Vladar strictly for monetary reasons.  Again I'm not a contract guy so maybe there's another angle but I don't know of one.  So I think they will just pray that Markstrom stays good enough to be a backup.  

The most ridiculous thing I can think of would be a 3-goalie thing for a while, in the hopes that one of them becomes tradeable.  So, given how ridiculous that is I suspect it will happen lol

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Vladar is easily tradeable with that contract. Markstrom has a NMC so it's off the table. A buyout would be ultra dumb. He's maybe 10% of the problem. Fix all of the other garbage and that number will shrink.

Bounce back seasons are pretty normal.

Unfortunately, if you trade Vladar, you get 62+ games of Markstrom.

But, it does make the most sense considering that Markstrom is untradeable.

Just now, robrob74 said:

I don't think Markstrom is as untradeable as others think. It'll be a hard deal to make, but one where we probably retain to get value back and for him to fit on another team. 

The issue is 3 years remaining of an aging goalie.

Vegas needs a solution, since Lehner is a big unknown and Quck is likely done.

But we are trading from a weakness of a bad season.

It's a possible trade, but I don't see what they give us that makes it a win for us.

The unfortunate thing is that we never explored what Vladar really was.

Sutter set his mind and it didn't matter what Vladar did or didn't do.

Under a new coach, I think you see Vladar and Wolf thrive.

Forces the D to play a little different, but they played better in front of Vladar mostly.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's a possible trade, but I don't see what they give us that makes it a win for us.

Forces the D to play a little different, but they played better in front of Vladar mostly.

I agree but still think Markstrom has game and a need to change scenery.

He just had a baby. His family might not want to move. 

I dunno, I wonder how the pregnancy went. Maybe it was one of those worrisome ones that once the baby was born he could concentrate on hockey. That happens sometimes... He seemed like a different player afterwards? But who knows. 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Markstrom has a full No Move Clause. The key being No Move. He has zero reason to waive it. I wouldn't if I were him.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Markstrom has a full No Move Clause. The key being No Move. He has zero reason to waive it. I wouldn't if I were him.

Yeah, I get that.  It depends on his family situation.  He's only ever played in Canada and FLA, so he may not even consider a trade to another US team.  CGY is the retirement community for hockey players.  

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree but still think Markstrom has game and a need to change scenery.

He just had a baby. His family might not want to move. 

I dunno, I wonder how the pregnancy went. Maybe it was one of those worrisome ones that once the baby was born he could concentrate on hockey. That happens sometimes... He seemed like a different player afterwards? But who knows. 

I don't think he was that much better after the birth.  His last 19 games he was 9-6-4.  And that was his best stretch, against some of the weakest teams.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Vladar is easily tradeable with that contract. Markstrom has a NMC so it's off the table. A buyout would be ultra dumb. He's maybe 10% of the problem. Fix all of the other garbage and that number will shrink.

Bounce back seasons are pretty normal.

I will agree that Vldar is movable, however, so is Markstrom. I would disagree that 10% of the issue this year was only goaltending, more like 60% of our issues this year were poor goaltending. Can things change and people change for sure. Markstrom and Vldar both had crap seasons. They could have a great bounce-back year. I do think your trading Vldar and moving Wolf to back up next season, IMH0 means Vldar is the one who is out 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

How to get rid of Markstrom this summer?  We could run with Wolf + Vladar and save $5-mil cap.

Also, would Lindholm not extend long term if we trade Markstrom?

That is what I was thinking. Markstrom played well the last 20 gamez or so. Maybe the Panthers or someone mighr want him for backup? 

I don't think Lindholm would care if Markstrom moves. 

You still can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to win now you gotta put bargain shopping aside. Bite the bullet on a tender deal that didn't work and go with the new deal. Markstrom moves if anyone wants him, and I doubt if he is dying to live here, so the team eats the loss. 

It looks to me like the team has a couple of talented two hundred foot natural goal scorers ready for next year, and a fantastic tender ready too. If Wolf keeps getting even better it won't be long until he is number one. 

Vladar would be a fine backup. Markstrom did the scariest goaltending since Hillier... fear struck my heart everytime the opponents pressed. I don't want that again. 

18 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I will agree that Vldar is movable, however, so is Markstrom. I would disagree that 10% of the issue this year was only goaltending, more like 60% of our issues this year were poor goaltending. Can things change and people change for sure. Markstrom and Vldar both had crap seasons. They could have a great bounce-back year. I do think your trading Vldar and moving Wolf to back up next season, IMH0 means Vldar is the one who is out 

Yes and no really.

One goal games suggest that he saved 1 goal too few too often.

But it's hard to pin it on goaltending when he plays well and we score 2 or less way too often.

80 times we hit the post.

Add in the 40 missing goals this season and we get maybe 5-10 more wins.

5 of the OTL can be blamed on penalties, no doubt.

Forcing guys to the wrong wing, taking out productive players for grinders.

Bag skates, pissing off players, playing the vet when your backup is on a win streak.

Making a goaltending change makes sense because we have two young guys ready for work.  With no other changes to the game, it doesn't get us back to being a playoff team.  You need to outscore the other teams when your goalie is meh.  I think it's something like 19 games where Markstrom let in 4 or more.  Of those, we got points in 10 games, some of them wins.  The other 40 should have been more winnable.  If you can gets points in 50% of the games you get scored on 4 or more goals, why can't you win more when they score 3 or less against you?  

Too many reasons why we didn't win games.  Puck luck, poor PP, playing from behind in the first period, wasted chances, bad lineup decisions, wrong goalie in nets, poor player management....The list goes on.

2 hours ago, bombcomputers said:

That is what I was thinking. Markstrom played well the last 20 gamez or so. Maybe the Panthers or someone mighr want him for backup? 

I don't think Lindholm would care if Markstrom moves. 

Lindholm and Markstrom are best friends off the ice.  Moving Markstrom would have an impact on Lindholm's decision to extend long term.

But it probably doesn't matter because Markstrom is unmovable in my opinion.