s4xon

Now that we have some of our 50 contracts freed up,

Here's an example of someone worth looking at:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/292689/samuel-hlavaj

Not the only one by any means, I just had a few minutes and was looking at the top performers at the world cup.  Unsigned, 22 years old, one of the best there.   He's shown steady progression.   6'4, likely to translate well to the NHL.

We got a log-jam in the NHL crease, Assuming Wolf is in there.  which is not a guarantee yet.

Outside of the NHL crease, we do not have a log-jam and could use a goalie 22 years or younger with some pedigree to develop on the Wranglers.    We could actually use 2 goalies imho in that range, but 1 would be a start.

You look at Vegas in the finals, they don't go light on goalies, they have them all through their system.

Look at Florida, they are again riding a very hot goalie.

We should have an abundance of them.  

This is one way.  Samuel isn't the only example right now, there's a few.  But he'd probably be a good fit because he's at a stage where he could come in and pick up where Wolf left off with the Wranglers. 

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Now that we have some of our 50 contracts freed up,

Here's an example of someone worth looking at:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/292689/samuel-hlavaj

Not the only one by any means, I just had a few minutes and was looking at the top performers at the world cup.  Unsigned, 22 years old, one of the best there.   He's shown steady progression.   6'4, likely to translate well to the NHL.

We got a log-jam in the NHL crease, Assuming Wolf is in there.  which is not a guarantee yet.

Outside of the NHL crease, we do not have a log-jam and could use a goalie 22 years or younger with some pedigree to develop on the Wranglers.    We could actually use 2 goalies imho in that range, but 1 would be a start.

You look at Vegas in the finals, they don't go light on goalies, they have them all through their system.

Look at Florida, they are again riding a very hot goalie.

We should have an abundance of them.  

This is one way.  Samuel isn't the only example right now, there's a few.  But he'd probably be a good fit because he's at a stage where he could come in and pick up where Wolf left off with the Wranglers. 

I think we have 34 contracts of 50 right now.

While it is smart to look at unsigned players, simply watching one series is not a great way to find the gems.

Puljujarvi was a standout at the U18, along with Laine.

Neither would be top 5 in a redraft.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we have 34 contracts of 50 right now.

While it is smart to look at unsigned players, simply watching one series is not a great way to find the gems.

Puljujarvi was a standout at the U18, along with Laine.

Neither would be top 5 in a redraft.

I"m not set on thus guy per se as much as the concept of building out from net.   But in this case it's the steady progression he's shown over the last 3 years which is interesting.  Always interesting anytime a 6'4 goalie progresses from undraftable to a draft miss.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I"m not set on thus guy per se as much as the concept of building out from net.   But in this case it's the steady progression he's shown over the last 3 years which is interesting.  Always interesting anytime a 6'4 goalie progresses from undraftable to a draft miss.

Can't be trusting the 6'6" guy we have or the 5'11" guy either.

Anyway, not really arguing against it.

I think we gotta fix the goalie development/coaching at the NHL level before we ruin anyone else.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Can't be trusting the 6'6" guy we have or the 5'11" guy either.

Anyway, not really arguing against it.

I think we gotta fix the goalie development/coaching at the NHL level before we ruin anyone else.

yeah we do

I’m interested to see how Sergeev does at the professional level.  While I haven’t seen his play in the University’s, his stats and performance comments I’ve read seem to suggest a positive trend.  Play him in the Ahl to get a good assessment of what his transition time, if any, would look like.

Has anyone been following him much?

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I'm not really sure what you're seeing there to be honest. I don't really see anything that says he's punching above his class. But I have zero idea what his attributes are. Though I did find out whatever happened to once proming Canadiens 1st rd prospect Nikita Scherbak so that was fun!

8 hours ago, flames for life said:

I’m interested to see how Sergeev does at the professional level.  While I haven’t seen his play in the University’s, his stats and performance comments I’ve read seem to suggest a positive trend.  Play him in the Ahl to get a good assessment of what his transition time, if any, would look like.

Has anyone been following him much?

He's doing well. He'll be back at UConn for his sophomore year I believe. He was more their backup last year but he ripped quite a few starts due to his ability and was their starter in the playoffs.

He's a good prospect and more playing time will help. He can be spectacular but still needs to make sure that he's stopping everything he should stop.

Whichever scout said, "let's use our 7th to take a flier on this guy from the Shreveport Mudbugs" is a genius.

Good ol' Louisiana hockey. A few of the hotel staff in Baton Rouge took me to a Kingfish game(ECHL) of course because I'm CDN and was there for work. It was a riotous assembly to say the least. They don't know much about hockey, but they know there's fighting, so that's good enough.lol

If anyone's ever had the pleasure of going to a Manning Comets game in N. Alberta(highly recommended if you're in Manning anyways), add another quart or 2 of spirits into each fan and it's the Baton Rouge Kingfish. I loved it because the crowd was Blockchaining hilarious. The refs are constantly chuckling. "thanks man, you were 20' offside and now the crowd hates me for calling offside".lol

The small markets US should have a league with no rules. I'd pay good money to see that Satoshi Nakamoto.

I should contact Vince McMahon, there's money in that.lol

I should move these stories to the hockey thread when my mems kick in. That was '99. I spent NYE in New Orleans because if the world was going dark at 12:00am Jan.1, 2000 I may as well be in New Orleans. Something did happen though that ended the world for 3 dock workers. We got no fireworks because they all exploded earlier in the day being unloaded at the docks. But Louisiana is kickass. I met some lifelong friends there. One, Mike West, is a great singer/songwriter I saw and then helped his band pack out of Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. He's Australian and you would never know it. Prior, he was the lead in a popular Manchester-scene band called Man From Delmonte that I knew when I lived in England. He outright shocked me telling me his story. Katrina forced him out of N.O. and he's now in Kansas plying away his trade. Such a good Satoshi Nakamoto. I was trying to get him to the Calgary Folk Fest but it didn't work out. Him and his wife are awesome people. Now their kids are crazy into music like them.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/644956-Mike-West-2

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not really sure what you're seeing there to be honest. I don't really see anything that says he's punching above his class. But I have zero idea what his attributes are. Though I did find out whatever happened to once proming Canadiens 1st rd prospect Nikita Scherbak so that was fun!

Yeah I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue.   I like his trajectory.  Since goalies develop later, any good trajectory under 25 is interesting.     But yeah I'd feel  a lot more confident if he was 1 or 2 years younger.

What I do feel strongly about is that they should find someone like this.   Preferably between 19-21 years old.

So my go-to for this is typically https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/wjc-20/stats/2022-2023?prospects=u21#goalies,

but then of course you're missing everyone who didn't attend the tournament.  I like it though, because those players that actually crave these tournaments often find a way.

Problem is, I have a contract disability, and I know most of these goalies are draft elligible in their 2nd year.  So I never really know what to do with that.

I like the move they made with Nick Schneider though.   Even though he didn't turn out  (see our development issues), I think it was a rare example of a smart acquisition in goaltending.

It's looking a lot like in a few short games, we'll be talking a lot more about how we should have done the Eichel trade.

That notwithstanding, my take away from these playoffs and Most playoffs is the importance of having goalie talent and goalie depth.   Vegas not only has several great goalies, but ...None of them are overplayed.

When we have a hot goalie we tend to wear them out to get the highest regular season ranking possible, as if that matters.

Then come playoff time they fall apart and we have no other alternatives.

Vegas has options.  They have great depth, they can withstand an injury, and their guys are far from worn out.

We often talk on here about how many goalies we should have and how much they should play.  Imho we should have a lot of youth and nobody should be overplayed. Not in the AHL or NHL.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It's looking a lot like in a few short games, we'll be talking a lot more about how we should have done the Eichel trade.

That notwithstanding, my take away from these playoffs and Most playoffs is the importance of having goalie talent and goalie depth.   Vegas not only has several great goalies, but ...None of them are overplayed.

When we have a hot goalie we tend to wear them out to get the highest regular season ranking possible, as if that matters.

Then come playoff time they fall apart and we have no other alternatives.

Vegas has options.  They have great depth, they can withstand an injury, and their guys are far from worn out.

We often talk on here about how many goalies we should have and how much they should play.  Imho we should have a lot of youth and nobody should be overplayed. Not in the AHL or NHL.

So the "current" answer for winning the cup is to have 5 goalies available through the season because your top goalie is unavailable for the season.  Hill has been far better in the playoffs.

I tend to agree about overuse.  Under Sutter in his first and second stint as HC, we have been known for doing that.  Even Markstrom's 1st season, he played 75% of the games.  The backup that first year had a poor W/L record.  Since it was a short season in a weird environment, I would discount that trend.  At the very least, we should be doing a true backup closer to 40% of games.  Last year's starts made no sense where we were leading the Pacific, so 63 starts is extreme.  This year where his W/L record was poor, it made less sense.  

Backup goalies are not always obtained through drafting.  By having a large contingent, you have little availability to develop them, unless they are spread across the world.  Scouting backups allows you to find the gems that another team can't keep.  Hill looks like a great choice to target.  Good numbers in limited roles on very bad teams.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So the "current" answer for winning the cup is to have 5 goalies available through the season because your top goalie is unavailable for the season.  Hill has been far better in the playoffs.

I tend to agree about overuse.  Under Sutter in his first and second stint as HC, we have been known for doing that.  Even Markstrom's 1st season, he played 75% of the games.  The backup that first year had a poor W/L record.  Since it was a short season in a weird environment, I would discount that trend.  At the very least, we should be doing a true backup closer to 40% of games.  Last year's starts made no sense where we were leading the Pacific, so 63 starts is extreme.  This year where his W/L record was poor, it made less sense.  

Backup goalies are not always obtained through drafting.  By having a large contingent, you have little availability to develop them, unless they are spread across the world.  Scouting backups allows you to find the gems that another team can't keep.  Hill looks like a great choice to target.  Good numbers in limited roles on very bad teams.  

94%

We should trade Markstrom.  TOR might be a good place to start if BT wants a G.  Package him with Tanev since TOR wants a shut down guy to replace Muzzin.  Plus, Tanev is RHS RD.

Don't ask for much back.  Consider it an early way to buyout Markstrom before his contract becomes a huge problem when Wolf takes over as starter in 2 years.  Take Matt Murray's one year in return.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We should trade Markstrom.  TOR might be a good place to start if BT wants a G.  Package him with Tanev since TOR wants a shut down guy to replace Muzzin.  Plus, Tanev is RHS RD.

Don't ask for much back.  Consider it an early way to buyout Markstrom before his contract becomes a huge problem when Wolf takes over as starter in 2 years.  Take Matt Murray's one year in return.

Yesterday, Steinberg and Vickers were kvetching about that on Sportsdrive brought to you by Calgary Lock & Safe - ask how a restricted key system can keep your business safe even through employee turnover, visit calgary-lock-and-safe-dot-com. It was based on a comment by Elliotte Friedman on 32-thoughts.

Personally, I'm not opposed to moving Markstrom. On the Sportsdrive, they were concerned about the value that you'd get back because he's coming off of a down season. I don't know, Man... I agree with that in theory, but at the same time, the cost of acquisition was only a contract. Not that it should come into play in this case, really, but I think you could do okay if there's a market for him.

The other issue is that he has a full no-move. So, it only happens if the Flames initiate a potentially awkward conversation, or if Jacob wants out.

Love.

33 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yesterday, Steinberg and Vickers were kvetching about that on Sportsdrive brought to you by Calgary Lock & Safe - ask how a restricted key system can keep your business safe even through employee turnover, visit calgary-lock-and-safe-dot-com. It was based on a comment by Elliotte Friedman on 32-thoughts.

Personally, I'm not opposed to moving Markstrom. On the Sportsdrive, they were concerned about the value that you'd get back because he's coming off of a down season. I don't know, Man... I agree with that in theory, but at the same time, the cost of acquisition was only a contract. Not that it should come into play in this case, really, but I think you could do okay if there's a market for him.

The other issue is that he has a full no-move. So, it only happens if the Flames initiate a potentially awkward conversation, or if Jacob wants out.

Love.

A year before he was the early season MVP.

a year after that he was the goat.

He's between the two.

We don't have to move either to give starts to Wolf.

Trading Vladar in the summer is fine if you get a 2nd or better return.

But, timing might make better sense to hold off until there is a bigger need elsewhere.

Should a LTI situation happen somewhere, he would be a solid trade.

If Markstrom gets injured, we have no backup if we have moved Vladar.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A year before he was the early season MVP.

a year after that he was the goat.

He's between the two.

We don't have to move either to give starts to Wolf.

Trading Vladar in the summer is fine if you get a 2nd or better return.

But, timing might make better sense to hold off until there is a bigger need elsewhere.

Should a LTI situation happen somewhere, he would be a solid trade.

If Markstrom gets injured, we have no backup if we have moved Vladar.

I know this isn't going to happen, but in my dreams they trade him, but retain 80% of his salary somehow and get a bucketload of draft picks back.

That said, their plan to retain him (stated by Conroy), is a very, very close 2nd.   Imho retaining Markstrom will bring many high draft picks our way.   jmho.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, oldschoolplayer said:

That admin threw 8 mil$ out the windiw when they crucified Sutter. What's the big problem moving a hot cold Jacob? Wolf is ready to do back flips. I'm going to start following the Jets. Following the flames is oldschool😏 

I guess the big problem is nobody will take his salary.  And we were insane to give him that contract.

The really is we either rife our Jacob or buy him out.   And the buyout is unlikely. 

Flames fans gonna need to be patient.     I would actually like to see them get at least one more top goalie prospect so we don't have everything riding on one.