Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t think Hanifin is signing. I agree that the Flames should look at a trade. Conroy said he wants guys that want to be in Calgary. The fact that he backed away from the extension last minute would concern me. I think they can get a good return for him, he’s having one of his best years.

At this point, I would be surprised if Tanev doesn’t return a first. Theres just going so much interest. The deadline is the easiest time to get first round picks because every contender thinks they have a chance. My guess is BT caves and the Flames get something like a 1 and 3 for Tanev with half retained.

I like the idea of Byram but I think that’s a summer move. With the Flames likely stockpiling picks in the next month, Byram is something I would explore at the draft. They dealt Newhook last year for a 1 and 2. Maybe something like that, Calgary is going to need NHL D. Byram is the perfect “retool” target.

I don’t think a Markstrom deal makes sense, in-season. The Flames are still in the mix (for now). It’s a difficult trade to project because what would the Flames want? Picks, sure, but there is a world where they add three additional firsts by trading the rentals. I suppose it depends what management/ownership want. If they want to try again at the playoffs next year, one extra first round pick probably doesn’t help. If they are fully committed to get younger, it makes sense.

I think if a team wants Markstrom now is the perfect time; they get him for 3 playoff runs and he's hot now. Maybe they deal him for a good return with stipulations on trade conditions, if cups are won then certain picks turn into higher ones? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LouCifer said:

A few hits:

- Friedman reported tonight he believes the devils and flames had a serious conversation about Markstrom, and that the convo ended fairly quickly. Both teams mum on anything of the sort. I think there’s a fit there. If we could get Mercer in the return… maybe that’s where the convo stopped. Doesn’t mean it’s over though. The news above about Carolina being interested in Markstrom too, and Buffalo putting Casey Middlestat out there specifically for a goalie in return *now*, puts us in a better position to get the return we want. 

- Hanifin. There’s no doubt in my mind that we should trade him. Contract offers have been out there, and his waffling and indecision speaks volumes to me. Cut him loose, or prepare yourself for his eventual trade request a year or two into the contract because he changed his mind. Would Philly be interested? Konecny? Frost? Would they be a good trade partner?

- Tanev. Seravalli says a 2nd round pick. Well, there are lots of teams with 2nd round picks that want him and likely put it on the table. With Sergachev going down in TB, every other team just got nervous. First one to blink and give us a first gets him. 

- Kadri??? Hear me out. I LIKE what we’re seeing from Kadri lately, however, I don’t see it as sustainable, and I don’t like the term on the contract. if there’s a chance to move him I’d do it 100%. With Lindholm and Monahan off the board, center men are slim pickings and COL is still looking for one. *IF* we can get a young C in another trade like Dawson Mercer (I heard Middlestat plays C as well, that true?) and COL is interested in Kadri, we know COL has no cap space. Apparently Ryan Johansen (center) is the salary COL wants to move out. Well, to send Kadri to COL and take back RyJo to help the dollars work, it’ll cost you Bowen Byram COL. Salaries fit perfectly. No retention needed. And the salary cap is going up, what is it $4M next season? I think that works money-wise and player-wise for Colorado, and we get back a C in RyJo (2 years on his contract including this one) and Byram to replace Hanifin. 

Am I out to lunch??? Have at’er boys (and gals)

🤠

Not a huge fan of RyJo, but buying out 4 mil if needed is far cheaper than 7…even if you retain 1 on Kadri it still

saves you 2 mil and then the other consideration is you save 6 mil for like 5 years on the Kadri term…so that’s also a win…if it gets you Byram it’s a total

win.

as for Tanev I’m thinking he’s gonna get you a 1st at this point, too many teams are wanting him, the ask is only a 2nd to

start so I’m thinking someone is gonna offer a 1st+ either a 3rd or

a lesser prospect…maybe even more if there is retention on the salary 

if NJD were in a better place right now, I’d say Markstrom would be traded, but given where Cgy is at and where NJD is at I don’t see him moving unless Dal may be in need of G…but honestly at this point I don’t see him moving not till at least the summer…personally I think Conroy wants Markstrom to

mentor Wolf which is why Vladar has been the goalie they have been wanting to move but his play has been sub-par, probably cause he’s not getting playing time to get in a groove…I’d like

To see them save that contract on the cap but all things being equal unless there is a blow out offer either now or in the summer I don’t think they actively shop Markstrom at any time 

Hanifin, is the one I’m probably most nervous about, they may resign him which I’m ok with, in 2-3 years he’s 29-30 and most D start hitting their top level at that age for up to 5 years so, Hanifin would be in his top prime when the team should be seeing a turnaround…on the same note, a younger Player could also have more upside and be more affordable.  Its is a tough call, cause you know what you have in Hanifin but he could land you more assets which may or

may not work out…also Hanifin is the type of player who fetches more return on a longer term contract vs UFA rental…unlike Tanev he fetches more on a UFA rental contract vs on a contract with term…last year/summer was probably a better time to trade Hanifin than now but something is definitely better than nothing like we got for Gaudreau which if he’s not resigned you have to move him for something 

should be interesting, but as things stand now Conroy has done a good job at re-tooling/re-building on the fly, by targeting both younger NHL ready players and futures so should be interesting to see what he gets and who

he moves this TDL the Kuzi trade has actually added a PPG Hubie to the line up, and playing pos and Zary with Kadri has actually added the Kadri they originally signed so Conrory has earned the trust to have the benefit of the doubt for a while…as a rookie GM he’s definitely doing much better than one would expect especially considering the mess he walked into…we have needed a GM that was a former player, many teams that have gone that route have had massive success Conroy is shaping up to be a GM much like Sackic and Yzerman which is great for Cgy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think if a team wants Markstrom now is the perfect time; they get him for 3 playoff runs and he's hot now. Maybe they deal him for a good return with stipulations on trade conditions, if cups are won then certain picks turn into higher ones? 

I think Conroy is doing it right .  I'm on record as saying I wouldn't trade him at all , but hes right .. if you want to blow me away with an offer I'll listen to anything..

This would be different if they were trying to move him.. or wanted to unload him.. I'd agree that if a  Team wants him be prepared to pay.. from what Freidman stated it never got past the return phase ..I suspect Connie wants a significant roster player in the deal 

I'd be against any conditions , as historically , trades for star goalies at the deadline have blown up in the teams face(Ryan Miller for example in st Louis ) ..mainly because a goalie needs time to have chemistry with the team and the D ..   so to have conditions based on the playoff results I think is too much of a gamble 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Not a huge fan of RyJo, but buying out 4 mil if needed is far cheaper than 7…even if you retain 1 on Kadri it still saves you 2 mil and then the other consideration is you save 6 mil for like 5 years on the Kadri term…so that’s also a win…if it gets you Byram it’s a total

win.

Im on the same page MP. I’m not a fan of RyJo either, although I wouldn’t buy him out with only 1 more year on his contract after this one. We’re retooling. He fits a position of need if Kadri goes the other way. Also, he’ll be entering the final year of his deal - we’ve seen many players pick up their socks for their next contract.

At the very very least,

- he buys us TIME for our “retool”

- we accumulate young NHLers, picks, and prospects NOW, to get the wagon pointed the right direction

- then RyJo becomes a TDL trade chip for next season to acquire additional assets, or we evaluate if there’s a role for him here. 
- most importantly, we get that young LD in Byram. 

Again, I’m not a fan of RyJo. But I am a fan of the flames. This is just a business transaction involving assets that can help our team accomplish the “retool” we’re doing. It would get us a C with very little term to slot in for Kadri, and in Byram an outright cheaper and team controlled (RFA) LD to replace Hanifin. Yes, you can likely file this trade proposal under the “unrealistic” category… but God Damn would this be an incredible display of asset management by Conroy if he could navigate a trade like this. Capitalism is based on exploitation, Colorado exploits our need for a young D for the future, we exploit their need for a quality C to maximize their window for Stanley cups now. Win win. 

The reasons for trading Markstrom for me are much more selfish.  I don't want to win games just because Marky is playing out of his mind.  We have seen up and down from him, so if he plays well the rest of the year, next year is likely to be a down year.  Trading him in the summer is probably where you get the best value from him, but the way the team is playing is putting a 16th overall in play.  The more we win, the more likely the pressure is to make the team better now.  That means more likely a 16th.

Hanifin has to be gone.  It's untenable.  He has 10 years in the league and wont' be as good for the next 8.  I don't buy that he is nearing him best years.  I think he is in them.  There is debate to that, but he's no Gio.  He's stayed pretty consisten over the last 5 years, and I think he's hit his ceiling.  The question becomes does it make sense to get high value now or hope that we have a team that contends in less than 5.  I am a little worried that the offers from teams are lowballs since they just figure they can get him in the summer.  They are playing chicken with TDL.

Tanev has to be moved.  Best defensive player we have, but his injury history just makes him too much a risk.  For a re-tooling team, he doesn't make sense.

Mangiapane should be considered for a trade, but that's not a TDL deal.  SUmmer for sure.

In short, trade Hanifin and Tanev.  Get back a C and some high value prospects and maybe some decent picks.  Leave Markstrom for the summer, but give Wolf starts.  

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The reasons for trading Markstrom for me are much more selfish.  I don't want to win games just because Marky is playing out of his mind.  We have seen up and down from him, so if he plays well the rest of the year, next year is likely to be a down year.  Trading him in the summer is probably where you get the best value from him, but the way the team is playing is putting a 16th overall in play.  The more we win, the more likely the pressure is to make the team better now.  That means more likely a 16th.

Hanifin has to be gone.  It's untenable.  He has 10 years in the league and wont' be as good for the next 8.  I don't buy that he is nearing him best years.  I think he is in them.  There is debate to that, but he's no Gio.  He's stayed pretty consisten over the last 5 years, and I think he's hit his ceiling.  The question becomes does it make sense to get high value now or hope that we have a team that contends in less than 5.  I am a little worried that the offers from teams are lowballs since they just figure they can get him in the summer.  They are playing chicken with TDL.

Tanev has to be moved.  Best defensive player we have, but his injury history just makes him too much a risk.  For a re-tooling team, he doesn't make sense.

Mangiapane should be considered for a trade, but that's not a TDL deal.  SUmmer for sure.

In short, trade Hanifin and Tanev.  Get back a C and some high value prospects and maybe some decent picks.  Leave Markstrom for the summer, but give Wolf starts.  

Like. And I agree Mangiapane should be evaluated over the summer re: trade. (I’ve been a big fan for a long time, but for the last 2 seasons I haven’t seen the “bite” in his game that made me become a big fan of his) 

And to add, Hanifin is getting the “Tanev Bump” right now. And since everyone knows Tanev is getting traded, expect Hanifin to be impacted significantly. Tanev makes every D partner he’s with look more like a star. Trading Tanev? Trade Hanifin!!!!

and consider signing Gio (1yr, minimum) and/or Brodie (1 or more) in the summer *if necessary* to fill D spots and allow Gio to retire a flame. Classy. 

Colorado is extremely sour on RyJo. I read through their message boards and its pitchforks and torches for him and the GM for acquiring him. other threads talking about buying him out, sending him and a first to get rid of him, and Targeting Dowd or Mittlestadt in trades including Byram and picks. But from what I understand Buffalo wants a goalie in return this season for mittlestatd.

I’m tempted to create an account and pitch my trade proposal for Kadri to the Avs faithful. Their GM may look like a hero if he was able to get Kadri back. 

-edit. I created an account. See the responses/roasts here 😂

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/avs-acquire-ryjo-50-for-chucky.2932592/post-193837583

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Im on the same page MP. I’m not a fan of RyJo either, although I wouldn’t buy him out with only 1 more year on his contract after this one. We’re retooling. He fits a position of need if Kadri goes the other way. Also, he’ll be entering the final year of his deal - we’ve seen many players pick up their socks for their next contract.

At the very very least,

- he buys us TIME for our “retool”

- we accumulate young NHLers, picks, and prospects NOW, to get the wagon pointed the right direction

- then RyJo becomes a TDL trade chip for next season to acquire additional assets, or we evaluate if there’s a role for him here. 
- most importantly, we get that young LD in Byram. 

Again, I’m not a fan of RyJo. But I am a fan of the flames. This is just a business transaction involving assets that can help our team accomplish the “retool” we’re doing. It would get us a C with very little term to slot in for Kadri, and in Byram an outright cheaper and team controlled (RFA) LD to replace Hanifin. Yes, you can likely file this trade proposal under the “unrealistic” category… but God Damn would this be an incredible display of asset management by Conroy if he could navigate a trade like this. Capitalism is based on exploitation, Colorado exploits our need for a young D for the future, we exploit their need for a quality C to maximize their window for Stanley cups now. Win win. 

Actually a good point about not buying him out…nice! 

Colorado is extremely sour on RyJo. I read through their message boards and its pitchforks and torches for him and the GM for acquiring him. other threads talking about buying him out, sending him and a first to get rid of him, and Targeting Dowd or Mittlestadt in trades including Byram and picks. But from what I understand Buffalo wants a goalie in return this season for mittlestatd.

I’m tempted to create an account and pitch my trade proposal for Kadri to the Avs faithful. Their GM may look like a hero if he was able to get Kadri back. 

-edit. I created an account. See the responses/roasts here 😂

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/avs-acquire-ryjo-50-for-chucky.2932592/post-193837583

Hahaha! Clever well played!

I read the one comment, I’m not sure if they understand RyJo is going, the poster sounds like

al they are hearing is Byram…

maybe respond with, so your happy to keep RyJo…or would be happy with sending a 1st to move him and still be in need of a Ctr?

On second thought, maybe if we shed a few $$$ we should take RyJo and a first this year then, next year when Col is desperate or maybe even this summer trade Kadri to the for another 1sr lol 

• Like 1

Like. And I agree Mangiapane should be evaluated over the summer re: trade. (I’ve been a big fan for a long time, but for the last 2 seasons I haven’t seen the “bite” in his game that made me become a big fan of his) 

And to add, Hanifin is getting the “Tanev Bump” right now. And since everyone knows Tanev is getting traded, expect Hanifin to be impacted significantly. Tanev makes every D partner he’s with look more like a star. Trading Tanev? Trade Hanifin!!!!

and consider signing Gio (1yr, minimum) and/or Brodie (1 or more) in the summer *if necessary* to fill D spots and allow Gio to retire a flame. Classy. 

I have been quietly impressed with the Kyl-Pachal pairing.  Maybe they aren't taking the tough minutes, and Kyl is just rounding into form, but they have been great on the road.  On the road, where you don't control lines.  Ying and Yang.  Can't say I have seen Kylington getting burned like Hanifin does on his pinches.  Can't say I have seen Andersson being able to beat a streaking forward on the backcheck.  

No, we have nothing close to a full D once you subtract Tanev and Hanifin, but those guys have been here for years and we have done nothing.  We need to find some other gems now.  Our PK is great this year, and it's not because Hanifin is out there.  Tanev maybe, but that's too much wear and tear on one guy.  We can't use him once we make the playoffs because he has bruises on his bruises.  He won't be with us the next time we make the playoffs, so time to start building up the next wave.

If NY was willing to pony up a 1st and Kappo, I would even retain 1/2 of Hanifin.

Don't think they need him though.  He would easily sign there.

I have a harder time believing Hanifin would sign in Buffalo, but they might be desperate.

Mittelstadt + 2nd no retention.

Maybe not enough from them.

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Hahaha! Clever well played!

I read the one comment, I’m not sure if they understand RyJo is going, the poster sounds like

al they are hearing is Byram…

maybe respond with, so your happy to keep RyJo…or would be happy with sending a 1st to move him and still be in need of a Ctr?

On second thought, maybe if we shed a few $$$ we should take RyJo and a first this year then, next year when Col is desperate or maybe even this summer trade Kadri to the for another 1sr lol 

Took your advice... posted! lol

-edit. Still going. Found one guy to support the trade! 3 or 4 others are not. Most are ignoring RyJo being moved but have no problem saying how much they HATE him. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

- I have been quietly impressed with the Kyl-Pachal pairing.  Maybe they aren't taking the tough minutes, and Kyl is just rounding into form, but they have been great on the road.  On the road, where you don't control lines.  Ying and Yang.  Can't say I have seen Kylington getting burned like Hanifin does on his pinches.

- I have a harder time believing Hanifin would sign in Buffalo, but they might be desperate.

Mittelstadt + 2nd no retention.

Maybe not enough from them.

You and me both TD. Pachal has been better than I anticipated in his 3rd pairing role, and so far he and Kylington seem to be meshing well. Kylington has gotten up to NHL speed in no time... his quickness is incredible. I even saw Pachal rushing the puck and making some nifty moves, despite him being touted as a stay-at-home, physical type, with little offence and few points to show for it. 

Re: Hanifin and Buffalo. I've read a lot online about BUF and it seems Mittelstadt is available because

A - they don't want to pay him his increase in salary (because they've already committed to a bunch of players with higher salaries), and Hanifin needs a pay day next season as well. 

B - word is they're looking for a bonified goalie in return for THIS SEASON. They don't want to wait for the summer, because they want the team to use the rest of this one to gel with the new goalie (so they're ready to go to start the new season)

If there's truth to this, I mean, Middelstadt fits the age for our retool and is listed as C/LW. I don't watch Buffalo much, but Middelstadt may be a fit for our need at C. Based on his stats, he appears to be a distributer of the puck. I just have a hard time seeing Markstrom waive for Buffalo - regardless that he said the power is in Conroy's hands. 

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Took your advice... posted! lol

-edit. Still going. Found one guy to support the trade! 3 or 4 others are not. Most are ignoring RyJo being moved but have no problem saying how much they HATE him. 

Lamo that’s the we want what we want but don’t want to give anything good up to get it pipe dream lol 

I kinda thought that was what the first guy was all about seems to be confirmed .

mmm now I wonder if they would be ok with a we take RyJo and a first for

future considerations much like our Monahan deal with Mlt, wonder if that would fly with them lol? 

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

You and me both TD. Pachal has been better than I anticipated in his 3rd pairing role, and so far he and Kylington seem to be meshing well. Kylington has gotten up to NHL speed in no time... his quickness is incredible. I even saw Pachal rushing the puck and making some nifty moves, despite him being touted as a stay-at-home, physical type, with little offence and few points to show for it. 

Re: Hanifin and Buffalo. I've read a lot online about BUF and it seems Mittelstadt is available because

A - they don't want to pay him his increase in salary (because they've already committed to a bunch of players with higher salaries), and Hanifin needs a pay day next season as well. 

B - word is they're looking for a bonified goalie in return for THIS SEASON. They don't want to wait for the summer, because they want the team to use the rest of this one to gel with the new goalie (so they're ready to go to start the new season)

If there's truth to this, I mean, Middelstadt fits the age for our retool and is listed as C/LW. I don't watch Buffalo much, but Middelstadt may be a fit for our need at C. Based on his stats, he appears to be a distributer of the puck. I just have a hard time seeing Markstrom waive for Buffalo - regardless that he said the power is in Conroy's hands. 

Interesting, as for Markstrom it’s gonna be totally ip to him, but I agree I don’t think he sees Buf as a worth while team to waive to go to to win a cup in 3 years…I mean I  could be be wrong but most don’t see Buff as a threat in the next few years…3+ some

maybe but Markstrom has that or better here, I think he only waives to go to a clear cut cup threat like Bos, or LVK or Col type deal…Dal maybe? 

I still can’t help but feel NJD is the spot

for Markstrom…it’s probably kick back to the days of Brodeaur..but a top G like

Markstom in NJD just seems like the right fit if he’s to go anywhere.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I still can’t help but feel NJD is the spot

for Markstrom…it’s probably kick back to the days of Brodeaur..but a top G like

Markstom in NJD just seems like the right fit if he’s to go anywhere.

Apparently Flames might be targeting Holtz from NJD

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

All I can say to this is:

yup! 

30 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

All I can say to this is:

yup! 

I haven't really been able to come up with any trades that are sensible for both teams.  That's the problem for me.  I never would have suggested the trade we made with VAN, but it happened.  Maybe it looks better on paper than reality, but I wanted Kuz when he came over the pond.  The picks are fine because when we trade with VAN, we draft someone special.  The prospects, well hard to tell.  Brz looks good because he is lighting it up.  Time will tell.  A RHS D is something though.

I can foresee trades for Hanifin and/or Tanev where we won't be lovin' it.  Maybe we don't win both trades, but we have to win one.  A 1st, a top prospect, a 2nd and a top 9C is what I would hope out of the pair of them.  The first would be a late one, so the other pieces matter.  Is it realistic or folly; dunno.  

The benefit of both these guys being traded is we ain't fooling ourselves again.  Be on a playoff push until the last couple of games, then failing.  Or somehow making it and one of them comes up lame.  We don't have enough depth to consider making the playoffs.  Had all year to sign Hanifin.  If he thinks he's worth more because of the stellat season, sorry bud but Weegar is crushing it and making less than we offered you.  I get the age difference, but Weegar has played one less season than Hanifin.  The wear and tear is almost equal.

I'm hoping the Hannifin decision was completed this weekend.  He stays or he accepts a trade. I'm hoping he waives for Detroit and they sit him out the Feb 17th game in Calgary. But then 8 years at 7.5 m wouldn't be the worst scenario unless he is given a NMC.

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I'm hoping the Hannifin decision was completed this weekend.  He stays or he accepts a trade. I'm hoping he waives for Detroit and they sit him out the Feb 17th game in Calgary. But then 8 years at 7.5 m wouldn't be the worst scenario unless he is given a NMC.

We know Hanifin almost signed so I’m wondering if maybe he wanted a NYC or modified NTC in his new contract and Conroy’s was like We are not doing that anymore? 

Friedman on the Flames from 32 Thoughts today:

Devils and the Flames have been looking at each other for a while. 

Flames and Devils did go down the path on Markstrom. Says he feels the package was close but retention was the issue. Says Flames have only retained 1 time in their history and says most in the league know that isn't something they like to do. 

He's not ready to say it's dead (only takes 1 call) but he's been told the Devils have moved on. 

Know they can get a 2nd for Tanev but still looking to get a first.

Not sure where things are with Hanifin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Friedman on the Flames from 32 Thoughts today:

Devils and the Flames have been looking at each other for a while. 

Flames and Devils did go down the path on Markstrom. Says he feels the package was close but retention was the issue. Says Flames have only retained 1 time in their history and says most in the league know that isn't something they like to do. 

He's not ready to say it's dead (only takes 1 call) but he's been told the Devils have moved on. 

Know they can get a 2nd for Tanev but still looking to get a first.

Not sure where things are with Hanifin

As much as I complain about the ownership’s unwillingness to rebuild, I will say that they have shown the willingness to spend money to win. So it’s always been odd that they are unwilling to retain salary in trades. I do think part of it is the fact that the Flames have been up against the cap for quite awhile making it very difficult to retain cap in trades. 

In a Markstrom trade, if you are going to retain cap you had better be getting a really good return. I am not sure that Holtz is the right return, for me to retain cap for this year and 2 years after.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As much as I complain about the ownership’s unwillingness to rebuild, I will say that they have shown the willingness to spend money to win. So it’s always been odd that they are unwilling to retain salary in trades. I do think part of it is the fact that the Flames have been up against the cap for quite awhile making it very difficult to retain cap in trades. 

In a Markstrom trade, if you are going to retain cap you had better be getting a really good return. I am not sure that Holtz is the right return, for me to retain cap for this year and 2 years after.

I think we probably need to think of buyouts as well. We have done a few, but at the same time, the team seems reluctant. 

I'd like to look at retention in the same way. For someone like Markstrom, if they can retain about 1m, it is like a buyout, but and find a 2.5m Talbot style goalie. Not necessarily Talbot. I know some take word as word here, so just saying like they had with Talbot a few years ago, and platoon the guy they get with Wolf. In that case, the team may actually be saving 2m even in retention. 

The other thing is, I find it odd the team is willing to overpay players who take up an extra mill here or there. 

One thing to remember from Friedman's report is that the return is also something the Flames aren't overly happy with.  So yeah I don't blame the team for not wanting to retain for 2 additional years if you are settling for a package below your standards.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sak22 said:

One thing to remember from Friedman's report is that the return is also something the Flames aren't overly happy with.  So yeah I don't blame the team for not wanting to retain for 2 additional years if you are settling for a package below your standards.

This is how i interpreted it as well. I don't think the point was the deal fell apart because the Flames wouldn't retain, it's just that they couldn't come to an agreement on the value of what the Flames should get for retaining. It does sounds like they got to a point where the value for the player was in the ballpark but for them to retain wasn't worth it. I'm fine with that approach. 

He does go on to suggest that the Flames are not in a hurry to move Markstrom and he still feels that many don't feel they want to move him feeling they are not sure what it would do to a locker room that has become a much more positive place this year.